• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfChaos

But at this point who cares, Nvidia might end up giving us all the specs before it's officially linked to NX.

I still think Jen-Hsun Huang had it on the tip of his tongue for that investors brief.

Rando: Tell us about Tegra wins that specifically aren't automotive
Jen-Hsun Huang: Err, err, automotive, and, ah, automotive

It would be funny if they flubbed it before Nintendo wanted. Nintendo would be pissed. But hopefully too far along to drop them.

The official brief should be interesting...Remember IBMs too

https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/34683.wss

Steph_E.

I don't think they ever said it was a new console during that presentation. Hell, I knew they were announcing a new console and I thought it was just an accessory at first and the new console would appear later in the presentation. You have to remember that back then Nintendo was constantly introducing new Wii accessories, so a tablet controller wouldn't be that out of place. It wasn't until they showed the Zelda tech demo that I was like, "Oh, this is the new thing."

It was a terrible unveiling.

I too knew Nintendo was to reveal their new console, but I was perplexed at the words I was hearing from Reggie.

Yeah. I never understood how people thought it was an accessory. The console was shown as was the controller. The console looked nothing like a Wii.

As I recall, at 2011 E3 conference, Reggie showed the gamepad and said words to the effect: "this is our new controller". They never showed off the console, in fact quite the opposite. I also recall Reggie saying the console itself was unimportant - that it was only a box.

Post TGS would be so stupid strategically that it would indeed not be that surprising... :/
If SE wants to showcase DQXI it would probably best at the NX reveal event and then at TGS (maybe on ps4 since the build should be more advanced) so going after TGS is bad at least in that regard

Eolz

If SE wants to showcase DQXI it would probably best at the NX reveal event and then at TGS (maybe on ps4 since the build should be more advanced) so going after TGS is bad at least in that regard

That was kind of my point yeah.
Pre-TGS allows surprises and extended look/details at TGS if wanted.
Post-TGS gives no surprises and breaks possible good conference pacing.

Malus

I don't think they ever said it was a new console during that presentation. Hell, I knew they were announcing a new console and I thought it was just an accessory at first and the new console would appear later in the presentation. You have to remember that back then Nintendo was constantly introducing new Wii accessories, so a tablet controller wouldn't be that out of place. It wasn't until they showed the Zelda tech demo that I was like, "Oh, this is the new thing."

It was a terrible unveiling.

I'm in the camp where I can see how the casual observer would get confused (as they tend to get confused by everything anyways), but I still wonder how hardcore gamers and press didn't understand it was a next gen machine.

They called it a new system (first thing Reggie says in the video), a platform and everything. Showed tech demos, "next gen" third party reels, they even had a diagram lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKwldXyhSzU#t=27m16s

I mean that's pretty clear cut.

Obviously it woulda been better if they showed the console more, and the console design itself just looked like a lying down Wii, but it's not as if they didn't tell us what it was.

Congrats!!

I don't believe this thread has 100+ pages

~_~

gimme ur secrets

MDave

Vena

I think that it's possible that Nintendo would want to put some distance between Neo announcement and NX reveal simply to have a lot more media space, so I'm betting on the second half of September.

John made it pretty clear later on that the one racing was Sony trying to get ahead of the NX to not get drowned out in the wave thereafter. So it's very likely the NX will be on the heels of the Neo. This also helps with other info we have and the same leak as the Neo announcement leak.

But what about AMD announcing their partnerships with Nintendo next month?

giphy.gif

MuchoMalo

Banned
https://mynintendonews.com/2016/08/16/nintendo-europe-reveals-gamescom-2016-announcements/

Knowing TGS would be on 15th Sep–18th Sep, 2016.

Nintendo still have +/-12 days to go to make EG rumor valid.

Also they are going to announce new 3ds colors.

Looks weird if they announce a new handheld NX a few days later. Doesn't fit in the story that i would expect...

They're going to advertise it as a third-pillar. They may even have an actual console ready as a back-up plan.

Ck1

Banned
So adding everything up and piecing it together with the conversation that 10K posted with the Nintendo employee(even with a grain of salt). Sounds like the selling point of the NX will be about peep to peer network services to enhance a gamers experience.

Even in the conversation from 10K the employee stated that they didn't view the premise of the NX as a gimmick, but people will. That sounds an awful lot like how people scoffed at cloud computing for XbOne to me and labeled that as a gimmick. Also stating while on paper the NX may not add up to equal PS4 hardware, the end result visually would look similar kind of points further to this system working in this fashion.

I'm also betting that the SCD won't be that cheap, with the selling point being allow your device to be utilized by the network and it will pay for itself kind of marketing. The early adopters alone should be more than enough customers to establish a pretty strong worldwide network experience, but can you imagine the word of mouth selling points this thing will have if they can truly reward gamers handsomely for buying extra hardware?

I think this is why Nintendo didn't want to nail down to the public yet what NX is, handheld, console or hybrid. Because to them when they talk about NX, they state multiple devices and a network of SCD's plus the base unit makes up the whole experience. Just my speculation on how they will sell this device

I expect late September with the announcement of it coming a week before. Nintendo's not the kind of guys to hype up something like this three weeks out. Remember, these are the guys that announced the events for the DeNA partnership and Pokemon Go, and every single Nintendo Direct just a day or two before.

NateDrake

I expect late September with the announcement of it coming a week before. Nintendo's not the kind of guys to hype up something like this three weeks out. Remember, these are the guys that announced the events for the DeNA partnership and Pokemon Go, and every single Nintendo Direct just a day or two before.

If it is an event like the Wii U September Preview Event then the media will get invites a few weeks ahead of the actual event to plan for travel.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Why won't people get on my AMD hype train?

x86 puma+
Polaris based gpu over 3TF
8GB LPDDR4

Let's go. Choo choo.

Now you're just screwing with people.

If it is an event like the Wii U September Preview Event then the media will get invites a few weeks ahead of the actual event to plan for travel.

They haven't done something like this in years. I would imagine they'll fly journalist out to try it (under NDA of course) but I doubt they'll hold an event in the same vein as the Wii U one four years ago. Could be wrong, just a hunch.

I would imagine they'll hold a press conference in a similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlX77BKLyY

Or maybe in a Nintendo Direct-like thing.

LordOfChaos

Unless they've lost their minds and decided to do it as a Digital Event.

Unless they do a normal boring seeming digital event and then at the end casually drop a "This event has been RENDERED ENTIRELY IN REAL TIME ON THE NX"

ACTIVE DOCK HYPE!

Yeah but no. I wonder if they'll do more physical appearances now, since I suspect Iwatas sickness was also a reason to go more digital.

Banned
If Nintendo chooses to reveal NX through a DE and not a live event, they've truly gone mad.

I have full confidence it will be a live event.
They're gonna stream the digital event to level 10 or higher pokemon Go players to incentivize people to play it.

thefro

They haven't done something like this in years. I would imagine they'll fly journalist out to try it (under NDA of course) but I doubt they'll hold an event in the same vein as the Wii U one four years ago. Could be wrong, just a hunch.

I would imagine they'll hold a press conference in a similar to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUlX77BKLyY

Or maybe in a Nintendo Direct-like thing.

It'll be a press event. They have too much stuff to go through to just have a couple people talking in front of a podium. They'll have space where the press can demo the system and some of the games. I'm not expecting a "Nintendo World" thing if it happens until Q1 2017.

I think they'll take some of the things they learned in the Digital event and apply it to the press conference (i.e. canned videos for developers talking about games), but press aren't going to see the system for the first time via a web stream.

Clessidor

I wouldn't mind if they would go with a Digital Event instead. Of course they als have to invite press somehow and give them a hands-on-experience. But couldn't they do that just additional to the event? Instead to invite everyone to one event NoA, NoE, NoJ, etc. would handle the hands-on experience for their region taking place the same day or the day after the reveal.

I don't know. It's Nintendo and somehow I can see them doing that.
Or probably I'm crazy.

EDIT:

So a traditional PK. I guess it might be the safest bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom