• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Refyref

Nintendo want kill 3Ds for starting NX in 2017, You already know it.

Considering the state of both systems in Japan, I expect the 3DS version of DQ11 to perform better than the PS4 version over there, most likely significantly. And considering how the market there works, if 11 will be on NX as well, it'd make more sense to predict the majority of the series' audience would move there.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Sounds like a safe bet to me. :/ Definitely at the tip top end of the spectrum unless it runs at different clocks in handheld and docked modes.
Well, safe or not, AzaK's fate is in the hands of one Andi Skende ; )

LordOfChaos

Actually a little over an an hour from now

t1470949200z4.png

Wait so whats happening? Pascal Tegra announcement?

Financial briefing, above. Any word on increased Tegra projections may be in here.

MacTag

Banned
Huh? If anything, currently it is 3DS.
It's sarcasm. It has to be.

If games like Heroes, Heroes 2 or Builders had been DS, Wii or 3DS projects back in their heyday and sold as little as they have on PS4 they'd have been ridiculed as clear failures. SE is trying hard with DQ on PS4 but it hasn't really paid off so far.

LordOfChaos

No. Just I asked our bro and was told he would be shocked if anything Nintendo came up.

AMD was coy even though their Scorpio and Neo wins were all but known, until their partner(s) themselves spilled the beans. Of course Nintendo wouldn't allow Nvidia to be the one to spill the NX beans.

For reference AMD filed it under "two x86 gaming wins and one ARM win outside of gaming" or something like that, at most I'd expect a line like that from Nvidia. If anything probably just an increase in Tegra projections.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Lemme guess...The Nvidia Tegra partnership isn't true...

It'll use some PowerVR and ARMv7-based SoC from 5 years ago, trading blows with Vita.

No. Just I asked our bro and was told he would be shocked if anything Nintendo came up.

It was mainly about if they'd announce that they'll have a partner for a custom Tegra chip. They didn't, so Dave is going to make a video tonight or tomorrow declaring victory and that Tegra is completely de-confirmed.

MacTag

Banned
We won't get a confirmation about NX from Nvidia but their coming chip timelines might give us a better indication what NX actually uses.

TunaLover

I'm a man of the people.

Yeah, I don't think Nintendo would be willing to give any hint about NX, even if it was irrelevant. Though a confirmation from nvidia would be cool...

Mr Swine

Banned
AMD was coy even though their Scorpio and Neo wins were all but known, until their partner(s) themselves spilled the beans. Of course Nintendo wouldn't allow Nvidia to be the one to spill the NX beans.

For reference AMD filed it under "two x86 gaming wins and one ARM win outside of gaming" or something like that, at most I'd expect a line like that from Nvidia. If anything probably just an increase in Tegra projections.

They don't need to spill the beans on anything, just saying that they are working with Nintendo or have a done license agreement on a future/unknown product they have

It'll use some PowerVR and ARMv7-based SoC from 5 years ago, trading blows with Vita.

Nah, they will release a supercharged 3DS and call it Nintendo DSX and we will like it :p

LordOfChaos

Jen-Hsun Huang just mentioned next generation gaming consoles being exciting for a boost in power and efficiency, though I think it may have been meant for the Neo/Scorpio in that they'll also increase PC graphics use.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
With those patents along with the SCD, I'm now firmly in the camp of $149 hybrid in March with a more powerful dock coming late next year or in 2018.

Today's patents are brilliant in how they'd keep costs incredibly cheap.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Jen-Hyun Huang just mentioned next generation gaming consoles being exciting for a boost in power and efficiency, though I think it may have been meant for the Neo/Scorpio in that they'll also increase PC graphics use.

This isn't the first time they've mentioned consoles this year. I found it suspicious when they did it at the GTX 1080 event. It really sounds like they're up to something.

antonz

I should try to keep in check any hype I may have created, I'm 80% sure he was talking about Scorpio and Neo, though it could have been a glib reference to NX too.

He specifically named Xbox and PlayStation and how they are much closer to PC now which has expanded the footprint for developers etc

LordOfChaos

"To cars to computers"
ok
"to even a brand new"
hmm
"integrated"
uhhhh
"high performance box"
oookkkk
"for compute we call DGX"
...I should have known.

Eolz

It's not about agreeing. If something doesn't meet your needs/desires, it has less value to yhou. You can't just tell someone to change their values. If he doesn't care for a handheld and only cares about NX as a console, that's perfectly fine.

I completely agree and that's basically what I was saying.

Don't expect NX news or Nvidia announcing a partnership with Nintendo at this conference call tonight.

No need to do "leaks" to know nothing will happen there ;)

MDave

Been listening in, and he mentions financial growth for the company across the board. I'm guessing this also includes their Tegra division. That is open to interpretation, but it sounds good.

AfroDust

"To cars to computers"
ok
"to even a brand new"
hmm
"integrated"
uhhhh
"high performance box"
oookkkk
"for compute we call BGX"
...I should have known.

I was literally tripping my ass off at the same moment thinking he was gonna out their partnership with Nintendo. I was severely let down lol.

blu

Wow, not NX related, but it's quite a change of pace to hear him sing Intel's praises, remember the "about to open a can of whoop-ass on Intel" from a few years ago

Especially after their big partnership with IBM CPUs, him calling Intel the worlds best and that no one comes close to their processor craft, lol
He's quite the clown, isn't he. I deeply respect the engineering prowess of his organisation, but the guy himself is a bozo.

MDave

"Pascal twice as energy efficient as Maxwell." Guess that 60% more energy efficient claim over Maxwell is true!

Yes, this is what Nintendo wants, what it needs. I'm 50/50 on it being Pascal though, but nothing stopping Nintendo doing iterative versions of NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
"Pascal twice as energy efficient as Maxwell." Guess that 60% more energy efficient claim over Maxwell is true!

Yes, this is what Nintendo wants, what it needs. I'm 50/50 on it being Pascal though, but nothing stopping Nintendo doing iterative versions of NX.

I only calculated 1.9x in an ideal non-VR scenario.

wazoo

He's quite the clown, isn't he. I deeply respect the engineering prowess of his organisation, but the guy himself is a bozo.

he is with nvidia since 93. he is not the usual marketing guy you can find with the CEOs usually. he knows his tech.

blu

he is with nvidia since 93. he is not the usual marketing guy you can find with the CEOs usually. he knows his tech.
I was referring to his public appearances. As whether he knows his tech - perhaps he knows the tech from late '90s. He's neither an architect nor a fellow. The guy's been a CEO for decades. A very comic one at that.

LordOfChaos

"Wanted to talk about Pascals competition, or at least...What would be competition from Polaris"

Yikes, shots fired, lol

I was referring to his public appearances. As whether he knows his tech - perhaps he knows the tech from late '90s. He's neither an architect nor a fellow. The guy's been a CEO for decades. A very comedian one at that.

I think you're selling him short. He has a masters of engineering and as CEO I'm sure he keeps on top of most things pertaining to GPU tech. He may not be as in depth as the engineers down in the trenches anymore, but I'm sure he knows his stuff. Nvidia has the hallmarks of an engineer led company, one who helped found the very industry. The company didn't keep getting led into success accidentally.

I do find his public appearances varyingly awkward and entertaining though, lol.

wazoo

I was referring to his public appearances. As whether he knows his tech - perhaps he knows the tech from late '90s. He's neither an architect nor a fellow. The guy's been a CEO for decades. A very comic one at that.

he is ceo since 2013. hardly decades.

LordOfChaos

Here we go, "Are you finding new opportunities for Tegra"
*audience murmur*

So far answering with self driving cars...

Damn, not even a hint. Well, unless you count the clear swerve as a hint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom