• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Sony: Dead pixels are a normal occurrence for all LCD displays.

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/39371/c/65,66/kw/screen replacement

Maybe I should also make a thread out of this. Wonder if it will also reach 4 pages at least.
I don't find dead pixels something to overlook at all but
RG0BS1U.gif

well this just killed all of my Switch hype. Looks like I'm picking up a Wii U just for Breath of the Wild. Anyone got one for sale?

Not just Switch. The guy has been a constant Nintendo troll for years now.

The past couple of hate threads sure has brought that old club together again.

I've noticed.

The tired, old grumpy men (or rather, boys) getting together like that band that is way too old to tour, but do it anyway and sound shit live.

Ah, the Switch launch is glorious.

jts

...hate me...
I thought this was typical and unavoidable...
It is indeed the rather standard industry practice and even lingo. Nintendo is being singled out for the sake of it. The Switch doesn't even seem to particularly suffer from that problem, more than any other device at least.

Thoraxes

Not unprecedented for pretty much every single thing that comes with a screen and the manufacturer.

Easiest thing to do is to just return it to a store and say it's broken/doesn't work. I've had to do this with everything from Vitas to Phones to TVs to Monitors because the manufacturers wouldn't take them back or replace the screen. They just mostly don't consider a few of them a defect. It's still stupid, but i'm not gonna pretend they're the only one doing this.

lenovox1

Does anyone actually have dead pixels on their Nintendo Switch?

Is this a widespread issue among the panels that they use?

No?

Then why is this a thread full of people that didn't buy something braging that they didn't buy something because of a problem that doesn't actually exist?

LordOfChaos

Dock scratches its own screen
Preferably use in a faraday cage, or at least away from wireless sources, because weak and 2.4GHz signal.
This
Vinyl skins corrode the plastic controllers somehow
Games...Taste bad?

Hopefully a minor revision address many of these sooner than later, sucks for early buyers, but I'm in no rush from what I've seen.

TLZ

Banned
I've noticed.

The tired, old grumpy men (or rather, boys) getting together like that band that is way too old to tour, but do it anyway and sound shit live.

Ah, the Switch launch is glorious.

But. It's really not. You condemn the others as trolls but you're also on the other extreme end of the spectrum. Trolls and rose tinted glasses don't help.

Every day I come to Gaming there's something new to laugh at Nintendo

But still I'm sorry anyone who's putting up with this faulty shit

This
Vinyl skins corrode the plastic controllers somehow
Games...Taste bad?

Hopefully a minor revision address many of these sooner than later, sucks for early buyers, but I'm in no rush from what I've seen.

This shit isn't an issue.

I'm an early buyer and it doesn't suck for me. Don't put gaudy ass skins on your console. Of course adhesive is going to take off coating on plastic.

Dead pixels isn't some widespread issue on the Switch. And all LCDs can suffer from this.

You're using the games tasting bad as a negative? It's so kids don't put them in their mouths. Or even animals, I've had my dog chew on a DS cart before.

But. It's really not. You condemn the others as trolls but you're also on the other extreme end of the spectrum. Trolls and rose tinted glasses don't help.

Sorry, but I'm not going to be categorized by trying to speak up for misinformation. Reminds me of the current political landscape. If you're passing off fake news or misinformation, I'm going to call your ass out on it, especially since the same people keep doing it. I'm not on some extreme spectrum, I'm speaking common sense.

But whatever.

The_Lump

Banned
Damn then i am lucky i guess.

You aren't lucky, you're just not understanding the Apple policy.

Although they don't count a dead pixel as a defective product (because they've allowed a margin for them in manufacture) they will still replace it because it's not been bought as advertised.

Nintendo will almost certainly do the sane. (Did with 3DS afaik).

The_Lump

Banned
As a Nintendo fan, I say this: fuck off, Nintendo. Dead pixels are a defect. Switch those switches.

There have been no instances of them not switching them. It's just a generic statement in a policy (same as Apple, same as Sony - both are of whom will likely still replace).

If Nintendo actually refuse to replace one, then sure go ahead and freak out.

The Cowboy

No?
I bought 3 in 2 days, all 3 had (easily noticeable) dead pixels.

Not saying this means it's widespread, but it's dam annoying when stock is so low now that it's hard to get a new one - I just want a non defective switch (or hell, 1 with a dead pixel that isn't easy to see).

jts

...hate me...
Comparing Sony's response vs Nintendo's in the OP, still makes Nintendo's look bad.

This didn't help...lol.
Totally. Except they both say the same thing and represent the same cop-out out of replacing displays for a few dead pixels which are stated by both as normal to the nature of LCDs.

But I guess the nuanced wording can drag the subject into semantics and help one stay true to their personal bias, so... congrats, I guess? lol indeed.

The_Lump

Banned
Comparing Sony's response vs Nintendo's in the OP, still makes Nintendo's look bad.

This didn't help...lol.

How so? They are saying the same thing, just worded slightly differently.

Bottom line is: 'Dead pixels are a thing we accept. We will replace the device if they bother you, but they may still be there or be worse'

This is the stance of Sony, Apple and Nintendo and has been for a long time now.

Neff

I haven't got any, but I've heard of a couple of units having them here. While it'd certainly be useful to get an impression on the ratio of defects, I do get the impression that issues with Switch are being prematurely, hyperbolically overblown at this stage.

Lol no way would I live with stuck pixels, and it most certainly is a defect.

I've returned a few devices for this reason and it can be quite a fight sometimes but its something im willing to put my fighting mitts on for because its a bs policy. An Audiotronic store here refused when I tried to return a Sharp 52", but luckily I was able to point out after seeing a sign in their store that I was within their 30 days "no questions asked" return period and they had no choice thankfully.

The_Lump

Banned
I haven't got any, but I've heard of a couple of units having them here. While it'd certainly be useful to get an impression on the ratio of defects, I do get the impression that issues with Switch are being prematurely, hyperbolically overblown at this stage.

As with all launches.

For PS4 we had:

Wobble-gate
Loose HDMI-gate
Reports of consoles bricking
Loud fan-gate
AnalogueStickDesintegration-gate

All blown miles out of proportion.

meppi

As with all launches.

For PS4 we had:

Wobble-gate
Loose HDMI-gate
Loud fan-gate

That one was actually an issue though. Had it happen myself with 2 launch window controllers.

No?

Then why is this a thread full of people that didn't buy something braging that they didn't buy something because of a problem that doesn't actually exist?

Gaf

It's just a feature, guys.

As with all launches.

For PS4 we had:

Wobble-gate
Loose HDMI-gate
Loud fan-gate

You're forgetting the most important, actual issue that was never resolved: The secret sauce Sony used in place of Lithium-ion to power the PS4 controllers. I feel like it was Heinz, personally, considering my controller lasted about as long as a packet of ketchup does, but I doubt we will ever get a real answer.

SigSig

Jesus, GAF, this is getting beyond embarrassing.
Dead pixels not being considered a defect in general by the manufacturer is standard industry practice, save for workstation displays. Sony handles them the same way on both the Vita and their TVs.
If there are a lot of dead pixels clustered up, you might have more luck.

But don't let that stop you from shitposting.

newsguy

I made a post about my switch screen. It looks like someone took a pencil and drew a perfectly straight line across the bottom 3rd of my screen. Certain colors make it very obvious, and in certain scenes you can't see it. When I called the RMA people at Nintendo the guy read off his script where he pretty much tells you that regardless of if you send it in for repair, they can and will turn it away if the screen defect is deemed acceptable by Nintendo's standards.

The best option, and what I'll be doing, is to return it to the store I purchased from for a new one. Sending to Nintendo makes zero sense as they take 2 to 3 weeks to turn it around and possibly won't even fix the issue. Nintendo took a fat dump on that seal of quality from the 80's and 90's.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Totally. Except they both say the same thing and represent the same cop-out out of replacing displays for a few dead pixels which are stated by both as normal to the nature of LCDs.

But I guess the nuanced wording can drag the subject into semantics and help one stay true to their personal bias, so... congrats, I guess? lol indeed.

How so? They are saying the same thing, just worded slightly differently.

Bottom line is: 'Dead pixels are a thing we accept. We will replace the device if they bother you, but they may still be there or be worse'

This is the stance of Sony, Apple and Nintendo and has been for a long time now.

I guess neither one of you read the response in the OP?

The response in the OP is basically you're holding it wrong.

At least Sony's and the other responses ppl posted actually acknowledge it's an actual defect and offer service info. Even ways to get it unstuck.

And ways to see if it's an actual dead pixel.

That's a lil more than worded differently.

OryoN

I can't tell if the majority of posters in this thread are hopelessly cluless about actual facts, or hopelessly desperate for some Nintendo hate. It's a pretty pathetic to behold, either way.

This thread has been rather illuminating in that the problem of dead pixels appears to be so widespread that the industry isn't willing to consider it a defect.

This is actually normal. Usually you can't claim it's defect unless you have a certain number of dead pixels.

ISO 13406-2 guidelines which specify an “acceptable” number of dead pixels by display category. By this standard, Class 1 displays tolerate exactly zero dead pixels or sub-pixels which makes them expensive and uncommon. Class II monitors--the kinds we actually use--are allowed to exhibit two malfunctioning pixels and five malfunctioning sub-pixels per million. On a 1080p display, four dead pixels and ten dead sub-pixels would be within ISO tolerances.

Top Bottom