• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z0m3le

Banned
Mantle was an AMD API which was replaced by the Vulcan API, which is a collaboration between several industry leading technology companies. Calling DX12 (a Microsoft API, mind you) an AMD standard is plain wrong.

Going async is a natural evolution of software, as well as hardware. It wasn't supported at all in DX11. AMD has been working on their GCN architecture for years, where it's supported natively. This in other words meant that their cards have been under-performing due to their worse single thread performance. Until very recently, all games were developed with DX11. Nvidia went another direction, focusing on what API was primarily used, and thus, most of their work has been optimizing their brute single-core strength.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/commen...relation_to_mantlevulkan_clearing_up/cvbjxar/ I honestly didn't know that there was debate on this. I never meant Mantle IS DX12, but Microsoft certainly duplicated some of the features pretty exactly.

LordKano

9sxHPBx.jpg

Unless you're implying that a brand new 3D Mario is nothing huge, well...

I'll drink to the day Nintendo releases any hardware where the CPU isn't by far the most absurdly weakest link. It's borderline historic at this point how routinely Nintendo fuck this up.

I always believed that Nintendo, aims always to their own needs rather that the needs of the industry. Almost all of their games dosn't seem CPU intense. So they are fine with underwhelming CPU's.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I don't know, instead of buying two bits of hardware for Nintendo games, I only need one.

OH GOD, I SOUND LIKE ONE OF THOSE AWFUL 'NINTENDO SHOULD GO THIRD PARTY'ERS.

Lol

I think a more elegant solution, would have been two systems. A system with long battery life, small, that automatically downloads game progress while your on the road would have been awesome. Not everyone wants a home console, and not everyone wants a portable. Now you get a system that has too many compromises for both fan bases.

I do blame Eurogamer for thinking that 20W X1 in Shield TV would be used as is in that tiny chassis. That's fucking nuts, even from my none technical expert eyes.

The ideas that was being floated around the design process was going to be 16nm which would significantly reduce the power consunsumption. I dont get how expecting the hardware to be in line with the dev kit (~500Gflops) was unrealistic.

What has transpired in the last few weeks isliterally beyond worst case scenario. I do not think people had pie in the sky dreams frankly.

Donnie

I don't know if an extra 200GFLOPS is all that important to even most developers though. All that does is reduce the level at which you have to downgrade all your settings/effects. It shouldn't really fundamentally change how ports are done.

On the other hand, CPU performance would drastically change how some games have to be designed, right?

You can also scale things back for lower CPU performance as long as the difference isn't huge. With CPU performance being the major weak point of current gen consoles its not something I'd worry about even with 1Ghz A57 cores.

Though I'm still not really buying the idea that the system is just a down clocked X1 SoC. I do agree they'll customise the CPU and it'll be more than just 4x 1Ghz A57, but I also believe the GPU will be heavily customised as well. Nintendo GPU's always are.

Unless you're implying that a brand new 3D Mario is nothing huge, well...

For it to be huge, they'll have to get a great reveal. If it's basically 3D World with bigger levels.. welp. And considering how big Nintendo seems to go with the ports, I'm affraid we aint seeing lot of big games.

I always believed that Nintendo, aims always to their own needs rather that the needs of the industry. Almost all of their games dosn't seem CPU intense. So they are fine with underwhelming CPU's.

Breath of the Wild seems far more physics and systems driven than most other AAA games out there, and considering it does this in an open world I'd say it must be working the Wii U CPU incredibly hard. You may be right that past games typically aren't CPU heavy but BotW appears to be an exemption.

You can also scale things back for lower CPU performance as long as the difference isn't huge. With CPU performance being the major weak point of current gen consoles its not something I'd worry about even with 1Ghz A57 cores.

Though I'm still not really buying the idea that the system is just a down clocked X1 SoC. I do agree they'll customise the CPU and it'll be more than just 4x 1Ghz A57, but I also believe the GPU will be heavily customised as well. Nintendo GPU's always are.

Yeah I think this is true, but I'm trying to keep my expectations in check now. This week has taught me that even reasonable expectations can be way too much haha

LordKano

We also have Retro's unannounced game, and potential hints for a MonilithSoft reveal. I think he's being cynical due to Nintendo's recent output (which is honestly not that unwarranted).

Well, I was only talking about visuals. You may not like Super Mario 3D World but it was a showcase of what the Wii U could output, at least for the first years.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Nintendo making the Switch developer friendly as possible kinda deviates from that pattern though.

Well, I was only talking about visuals. You may not like Super Mario 3D World but it was a showcase of what the Wii U could output, at least for the first years.

Eeeeh... To be fair, it looks like a fair upgrade over Galaxy, but nothing more. The game was really simplistic and the artstyle helped a bit to hide how far behind it was.

The Boat

The problem is not that fans are expecting unreasonable performance from a hybrid system. The issue that many Nintendo fans including myself have, is that they didn't want a hybrid system to begin with.

It's a dumb solution to the real problem of nintendo not having enough internal resources to support a portable and a console system by themselves.

The console is probably weak and it's a bulky a portable. They should have just had two systems running the same OS, compatible chips and one unified account with cloud saves.

Once again they are making 3rd part ports harder than it should be, it makes no sense.
"I don't like this thing I never tried and know very little details about, but it isn't catered exactly to my tastes, therefore it is dumb."

I loved SM3DW, especially the visuals. I thought he was talking about, like, the past 2 years of output. It's been pretty uninspired.

Then again they've likely (hopefully) been switching (heh) a lot of the games supposed to release in the past two years to Switch development, so that's something to hope for.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Shield TV is HUGE compared to Switch. And Shield TV also don't have a battery heating shit up and taking space on top of everything.
Shield TV houses a hdd inside. The part that is actually heat-generating is quite compact (hint: area below the fan [ed] sorry, the spreader).

LordKano

Eeeeh... To be fair, it looks like a fair upgrade over Galaxy, but nothing more. The game was really simplistic and the artstyle helped a bit to hide how far behind it was.

I have a bunch of 50 screenshots of the game and I'm ready to use them.
I played it recently, we're far away from Galaxy in almost every point. It may be simplification but it used a lot of effects and the lightning was really nice.

Shahadan

Wasn't there talk around here about how the next Mario was started on Wii U? It didn't seem visually very different anyway. Though with that artstyle I don't really see a Mario looking vastly different even on a ps4.

And for third parties even if they have something visually impressive it won't release before a long while.

z0m3le

Banned
No but it does have a HDD.

The screen isn't powered when docked. Shield tablets already have that functionality.

It's really not big at all and that hard drive space is huge. It wasn't throttled because of it's size, it was throttled because of battery performance on the handheld and needing to maintain a correct ratio for 720p and 1080p gaming.

I played it recently, we're far away from Galaxy in almost every point. It may be simplification but it used a lot of effects and the lightning was really nice.

Great, I played the game. So I know where I'm stepping into. As I said, sure the game features better textures but it remains a simple looking game. It was nice to look at it but that's all. It was in no way a showcase or a full generation leap. Lighting was okay, there was one or two neat effects and that's all. MK8 actually did a better job with lighting and is one of the rare Wii U games to look like a new gen transition in term of graphics.

MacTag

Banned
Even downclocked the CPU is more balanced than Wii U was. Or PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One for that matter, even more underwhelming CPUs seem to be industry standard these days.

LordKano

Wasn't there talks around here about how the next Mario was started on Wii U? It didn't seem visually very different anyway. Though with that artstyle I don't really see a Mario looking vastly different even on a ps4.

And for third parties even if they have something visually impressive it won't release before a long while.

Yep, IIRC it was a tweet from a French journalist. Hardly surprising, SM3DW released in 2013, there was probable nothing substantial about the NX at that time.

Great, I played the game. So I know where I'm stepping into. As I said, sure the game features better textures but it remains a simple looking game. It was nice to look at it but that's all. It was in no way a showcase or a full generation leap. Lighting was okay, there was one or two neat effects and that's all. MK8 actually did a better job with lighting and is one of the rare Wii U games to look like a new gen transition in term of graphics.

Well, I just disagree. Mario Kart 8 may have better lightning/textures but it also had strictly zero AA, unlike SM3DW which had a small edge smoother. Models weren't as detailed too.

orioto

Good Art™

This has always been the popular thing to say that Mario 3D World was underwhelming visually, or even "like the 3ds versin" when the game is actually, indeed, amazing technically. It makes everything looks lively and not made of polygons. That's not easy to do.

Vic

I do blame Eurogamer for thinking that 20W X1 in Shield TV would be used as is in that tiny chassis. That's fucking nuts, even from my none technical expert eyes.
There are other ways to get the same level of performance of an X1 without the high clock speeds, aka high power draw, which is the main argument that's been laid on the table for a while now.

AlStrong

XB360 is 240gflops

It's better to think of it as 216GFLOPs (192GFLOPs vec4 + 24GFLOPs scalar op), where the latter is for control flow purposes rather than direct shader work.

Not sure it's fair to count the scalar unit, which is probably more for branching/control flow.

Wasn't there talk around here about how the next Mario was started on Wii U? It didn't seem visually very different anyway. Though with that artstyle I don't really see a Mario looking vastly different even on a ps4.

It's pretty easy to see how a generational leap in 3D Mario title would look. Just see 3D World's artworks.

Rodin

Nah. There isn't a single aspect where they're even remotely comparable.

But reading the post you were answering to, i thought this silly revisionism and downplay of what 3DW did in terms of using modern rendering techniques whilst maintaining 60fps all the time was a thing of the past. Guess i was wrong

Well, I just disagree. Mario Kart 8 may have better lightning/textures but it also had strictly zero AA, unlike SM3DW which had a small edge smoother. Models weren't as detailed too.

IQ has nothing to do with that. As for models, yes they were lower poly, the game actually had to push more. But the way it looked ? Definitely better. As for 3D World... come on, that was barely an FXAA equivalent. Nintendo not caring about IQ isn't new.

This has always been the popular thing to say that Mario 3D World was underwhelming visually, or even "like the 3ds versin" when the game is actually, indeed, amazing technically. It makes everything looks lively and not made of polygons. That's not easy to do.

The simple artstyle helps to hide all its shortcomings

Here's how 3D Land looks when running at higher internal res:
1464164623-sm3dl3.png

blu

Look at all that space inside, even with that HDD. And that fan is MUCH bigger than the one that Switch would have inside.

IMG_20150601_153854.jpg
Pay close attention - the only thing that gets cooled by that fan is the TX1 SoC under that heatspreader, connected via the heatpipe. Now, only if the Switch had vents that connected to a docking station, that could host a fan trice as big as the one in the TV...

Donnie

Only the more expensive version does. And even with it, the space difference is huge, and the fan in the Shield TV is much bigger than what is in the Switch.

But isn't the more expensive version still the same size? Shield TV is around twice the size of Switch. Comparing internal space is nothing but guess work though.

tebunker

Banned
Look at all that space inside, even with that HDD. And that fan is MUCH bigger than the one that Switch would have inside.

IMG_20150601_153854.jpg

I kind of want a shield tv now. Aren't they coming out with a new version next year?

That thing is pretty impressive in terms of what they get in that small unit. Would like to see what improvements they've concocted

Pay close attention - the only thing that gets cooled by that fan is the TX1 SoC under that heatspreader, connected via the heatpipe. Now, only if the Switch had vents that connected to a docking station, that could host a fan trice as big as the one in the TV...

I still think the more interesting solution (don't know if necessarily better) would have been a GPU dock. But that would have forced devs to make effectively two distinct graphical versions of the games.

saskuatch

I kind of want a shield tv now. Aren't they coming out with a new version next year?

That thing is pretty impressive in terms of what they get in that small unit. Would like to see what improvements they've concocted

New version should be announced at CES January 5ish, pictures of the new version already leaked

And there lies a big problem. They are supposed be be announcing the new one before the switch. I know many here don't see it as a big deal I do because Nvidia name is behind the hardware. If they give us this amazing tech in tv shield and give us crap (in comparison) in switch it could have a negative effect I think.

One is a set top box and one is a portable. Only ridiculously unreasonable folks would demand parity.

Do you want me to rant about the reflective texture on the bullet bill again like I did in that Digital Foundry thread?

In all seriousness, it looked a bit better than 3DW to me but yeah, nothing was all that noticeable with the typical Mario art style. Either way, regardless of the visuals this will be a very big new game announced in January.

Retro's game might be a visual showpiece, or potentially a new Wave Race- since that's typically been Nintendo's go to franchise for showing off new tech. I'm sure we'll see something that looks really impressive.

Rodin

Do you want me to rant about the reflective texture on the bullet bill again like I did in that Digital Foundry thread?

In all seriousness, it looked a bit better than 3DW to me but yeah, nothing was all that noticeable with the typical Mario art style. Either way, regardless of the visuals this will be a very big new game announced in January.

Retro's game might be a visual showpiece, or potentially a new Wave Race- since that's typically been Nintendo's go to franchise for showing off new tech. I'm sure we'll see something that looks really impressive.

To be fair, we've heard that the levels are more "open". If the stages are way bigger and even a bit more detailed than 3DW's, then that's already a good upgrade and something that couldn't have been done on Wii U (even without considering that it's probably going to be 1080p on the TV this time). Also might have been that particular shot, but lighting in the mexican village looked even better than 3DW's GI.

I would argue that six seconds of off-screen footage is not really a good way to mesure game graphics :p
Well, of course. We'll draw proper conclusions in a few weeks.

Vic

One is a set top box and one is a portable. Only ridiculously unreasonable folks would demand parity.
The Switch is actually truly a hybrid device as the GPU performance is more than two times higher in console mode then in portable mode. The console when docked probably won't match a Shield TV in raw performance, mostly when comparing the CPUs, but it'll surely be close.

To be fair, we've heard that the levels are more "open". If the stages are way bigger and even a bit more detailed than 3DW's, then that's already a good upgrade and something that couldn't have been done on Wii U (even without considering that it's probably going to be 1080p on the TV this time). Also might have been that particular shot, but lighting in the mexican village looked even better than 3DW's GI.

Oh I definitely agree that it looks a good deal more impressive. A dynamic camera already means that the world has to be much more detailed, compared to the mostly static camera of 3DW.

I just don't think this game has the type of art style which is the best to showcase obvious advancements in hardware. Something like Wave Race or Metroid Prime would be much better ways to really show off the new hardware.

blu

'One is a set-top box, and one is a portable that docks into a housing the size of a set-top box. Only nintendo diehards would expect parity.'

Is that what you meant to type, per chance?

The Switch is actually truly a hybrid device as the GPU performance is more than two times higher in console mode then in portable mode. The Switch when docked probably won't match a Shield TV in raw performance, mostly when comparing the CPUs, but it'll surely be close.

It's called throttling on batteries. "Hybrid" is such a terrible misnomer for what Switch is. A better hybrid would have been a device with GPU dock. That current "dock" is glorified HDMI out and power plug housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom