• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefro

If they have the script translated ahead of time and they use Treehouse folks to help with the dub it should be fine.

The main problem I've noticed is companies typically will have some young translator who didn't get the script ahead of time and can't keep up. They don't translate the inflections so it sounds awkward and emotionless.

I think I remember Iwata did one where they basically synched up what he was saying in Japanese to a canned audio version of the speech in English.

I would also hope it's not old Japanese men talking in front of a podium the entire time in a dark room with a Powerpoint and they bring some of their presentation from Nintendo Direct, etc to this.

oti

Banned
I thought it was totally fine on stage at the Apple presentation when they announced Super Mario Run.

If the event is sufficiently pre-scripted, it shouldn't be a problem.
We'll see. I remember how 8-4 talked about this. They said the speakers would either hand in their presentations beforehand or it would be bad. I'm just wondering how many people will know the details before the stream starts.

The_Lump

Banned
I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't have a separate English presentation.

I don't understand why it matters.

It will be in English, just not directly from the lips of the guy presenting it.

The rest of the non-English speaking world have to deal with this all of the time, really shouldn't be an issue the other way around.

No, they're a support studio for Nintendo. They helped out on 3D World/Land, Captain Toad, and Tri Force Heroes.

This. 1UP is barely Brownie Brown anymore. One of the founders formed essentially its successor as Brownies (who did Fantasy Life Link on 3DS).

The other BB founder from Square is still president of 1UP so they still have some folks there, but still, they`re just a support team now sadly. Shame Nintendo couldn't have just kept them as Brownie Brown. :(

The whole reason was that they were vital to getting 3D Land finished on time during the 2011 Tsunami and so it gave Nintendo the idea of just reassigning them as a pure support team ala Monolith Kyoto.

And they've only done EPD Tokyo games since aside from Tri-Force Heroes.

I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't have a separate English presentation.

Time, energy, money, and relevance. Unless every presentation was broadcasted simultaneously, the majority of people would watch whatever one was presented first. If they could present simultaneously, it wouldn't be geared towards each region's respective time zone differences. With all of that considered, why spend the time and money given what I listed above?

I don't understand why it matters.

It will be in English, just not directly from the lips of the guy presenting it.

The rest of the non-English speaking world have to deal with this all of the time, really shouldn't be an issue the other way around.

Mostly so it could be geared toward more relevant information in their respective markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom