• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad, without Zelda on launch as a European, there might be nothing for me. Hopefully I am wrong.

We'll have to wait and see, but the recent news does not tell us that Zelda is missing launch in Europe. It states that NOA and NOE were localizing the game based on a release sometime later in 2017. Nintendo is willing to release it in Japan and now the U.S. regardless of whether NOE is finished localizing in time.

Alebrije

25173756.jpg

Da-Kid

I don't see why people are complaining about the voice over. The conference is scripted, meaning they're talking from a teleprompter. So obviously each language will have a copy of that. The only things that may be unscripted is live demo's.

Nothing to stress over.

I just had a thought. What if Nintendo went to Activision and asked them to port over an older COD upscaled and optimized for Switch. Like MW2 or Blops 2. So it was portable and looking and running as well as 360 version.

Would this be a benefit to Switch? Or would people just ask for MW1Remake?

Because it seems to me everyone is just waiting for MW2 and Blops 2 remakes.

Blues1990

To be honest, I had forgotten all about the online conference for the Switch. :/

I do hope this speaks to more a global strategy this time around. The disparity between the different markets (in terms of what games were released and when) has always been annoying.

I just had a thought. What if Nintendo went to Activision and asked them to port over an older COD upscaled and optimized for Switch. Like MW2 or Blops 2. So it was portable and looking and running as well as 360 version.

Would this be a benefit to Switch? Or would people just ask for MW1Remake?

Because it seems to me everyone is just waiting for MW2 and Blops 2 remakes.

If they get call of duty, seems easier/logical to just get Infinite Warfare/Modern Warfare remaster out for launch potenially.

Vena

I don't understand why they aren't just doing an English presentation in the US, period, but oh well.

If you are aiming to make the Switch more global with less "regional" projects that stay in said regions for forever (maybe because its region free), then why not present it in Japanese?

Let's them show off a bunch of their own internal and third party (Japanese) games to a global market, and then they can be all like "all this shit is coming to everywhere", rather than split the broadcast and then leave people uncertain or what's coming where and when and why and if at all.

Excited about the presentation. Worried about the pre-orders. I usually pre-order stuff at my local GS in-store but the closest GS where I live now is an hour away.

Should I trust GS pre-order for in-store pickup? Or should I just do Amazon?

Also...am I going to be able to watch this presentation on my Wii U through Youtube?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
letter74oag.png

Very interesting info here. I can't quite make out the kanji in the second frame there, but to the right it says Tokyo Big Sight East Hall 8 (再京ヒツグサイト東8ホール). Could it be the press conference will be held there? I don't see the International Conference Hall (国際会議場) mentioned anyway.

This is East Hall 8:

east_hall8qpanx.png

Maybe someone more fluent in Japanese could provide clarification? Seems to me rather strange for Nintendo to choose that venue over the International Conference Hall for the press conference.

Excited about the presentation. Worried about the pre-orders. I usually pre-order stuff at my local GS in-store but the closest GS where I live now is an hour away.

Also...am I going to be able to watch this presentation on my Wii U through Youtube?

That's kind of rough. Personally, I'm going with Gamestop just because I won't want to wait for the package to arrive the next day. Though I do plan to order a backup via Amazon just in case.

Your in-store pre-order should guarantee you a unit and if not, I'm sure they'd have to tell you prior to launch day. They aren't getting the Switch trucked in at exactly midnight so they'll know if their shipment doesn't match pre-order numbers ahead of time. If you don't mind the drive, I'd say do online and in-store just to be safe.

I expect that Kimishima wasn't BSing us when he told us the delay was because the games weren't ready lol.

I always assumed Nintendo could have technically launched in November, but wanted a steady stream of games from launch and beyond. Post-launch droughts are never a good thing. They've probably been sitting on a number of wholly finished Switch games for awhile now.

I expect that Kimishima wasn't BSing us when he told us the delay was because the games weren't ready lol.

it was the only reason that ever made sense, even before he told us it was the reason

What I'm really hoping for is that they aren't just sitting on finished games, but that the teams that worked on them are already many months deep into new projects.

It's possible you'd get it cheaper somewhere else, but at least a Gamestop pre order would gurantee you it for day one.

I'm gonna pay whatever the extra is for Gamestop pre order for midnight launch and day one purchase, whatever.

That Zelda rumor delay has me thinking if it's Story is going to be much bigger then anticipated.

Lots of previous Zelda don't have that much text.

That Zelda rumor delay has me thinking if it's Story is going to be much bigger then anticipated.

Lots of previous Zelda don't have that much text.

Most likely:

- Lots of NPCs
- Lots of item descriptions
- Lots of text about certain places/enemies/dungeons in the game that need to be localized and tested

Big Chungus

I was thinking of getting one of those battery banks with usb c support, is it safe to buy one now or should i wait until the reveal to find out more about the specs?

Caelus

I was thinking of getting one of those battery banks with usb c support, is it safe to buy one now or should i wait until the reveal to find out more about the specs?

USB-C seems basically confirmed, it would be worth getting the battery bank since battery life is likely to be between 3-5 hours, maybe 8 if we're lucky.

Unless you found an amazing price on one and/or have a use for it outside of the Switch, I'd say wait.

Xdrive05

Help me out here, they have confirmed "real" dungeons right? In addition to the trial runs, or whatever they're called?

Have they given any information at all about the real dungeons?

jmizzal

Not quite, unless you want Nintendo to have an even weaker E3 showing than 2015.

I dont mean full gameplay trailers on everything but, do like they did in that old Jan Direct where they let us know all the upcoming games even if they didnt have full trailers.

Kiro

They need to. They aint launching nothing at E3 they launching something in March 4 months before E3

Exactly. I expect this to be basically the real 2016 AND 2017 E3 for Nintendo. They need to blow this out of the water. And then just go into more detail about the Holiday games at E3.

sanstesy

They need to. They aint launching nothing at E3 they launching something in March 4 months before E3

Why do they need to? Other companies do just fine keeping announcements for other events in the year while still announcing a substantial amount of games beforehand. There is no need for an all or nothing approach and every business company knows this.

Not quite, unless you want Nintendo to have an even weaker E3 showing than 2015.

I think it's most important that they generate hype for the launch window games (including and especially third-party titles, since the first-party stuff should speak for itself), and tease a few major titles that are coming later.

We can deep-dive those later titles at E3, when they're closer to releasing, and then get a glimpse at Q1 2018.

AzaK

I know a ton of people want to paint a picture of doom and gloom for the Switch, but I just want to take a moment to appreciate what we "should" be getting:

- A "hybrid" console that is significantly more powerful than the Wii-U
- Non-proprietary tech (bluetooth, Micro SD, USB C)
- Zelda: BoTW, Splatoon and possibly a 3D Mario game on launch day!
- Gamecube Virutual Console games!
- A mainline Pokemon game that you can play on your TV!

I don't expect everyone to want a Switch on day one, but I'll be damned if this stuff isn't blowing me away right now. I feel damn cynical for just accepting that I know this stuff is coming and focusing on the "what else?". I definitely don't blame the people who want more, especially if some of those games aren't really for you, but for me that all sounds amazing.

1) Couldn't give two hoots about a hybrid. And it seems like it might only be about 2-3x WiiU in console mode. Whoopdee doo!

2) Don't care

3) Zelda! Yes! 3d Mario - YES!

4) Don't care

5) Sort of interested

So overall, pretty meh really for anyone other than big Nintendo fans. Which as we know doesn't make a successful console.....although might be OK handheld wise.

I mentioned this in the other thread but having a conference in Japanese, when most of your market speaks English just shows how out of touch they are. For their new "next big thing" they needed a really good, english presentation to get people hyped. Overdubs are invariably bad.

HylianTom

Banned
This adds a new wrinkle:
will preorders begin at the opening of business on Friday.. or immediately after the TreeHouse presentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom