• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017 worldwide, MSRP $300

Status
Not open for further replies.

NolbertoS

$300 for a portable and console would seem OK, but Nintendo have to blitz that marketing. Instead of buying a $300 PS 4 console and $200 Vita, you can buy a $300 Switch instead, could be a marketing gimmick. Remember guys this is NOT just a console but a hybrid your buying. I'll wait for more games and them buy close to summer 2017, but count me in as an early adopter.

Is Nintendo either this out of touch or are they just stupid? You would think that they've learned from their mistakes with the Wii U on the pricing, advertising & on the marketing.

Once again, they're gonna give all the glory to Microsoft & Sony over this bull.

reKon

Banned
I guess there's really no harm in waiting until ALL of the good stuff is out around Holiday 17....

At least Horizon launches next month and I'm sure that will keep me busy for a while (still have to beat GTA V, play Bloodborne, and eventually buy Witcher 3 GOTY in next steam sale).

finalflame

The Switch will cost like R$2500 at least in Brazil. I can't justify that price only to play Splatoon 2.

Everything (consumer electronics) is insanely overpriced in Brazil, what were you expecting? Wait until a friend or family visits the U.S. and ask them to bring you one back, like every other sane Brazilian.

Source: ex-pat Brazilian.

DPtheGod

Yep. No buy.

That's too high.

Higher then I thought. =(

Aw, nuts, I was hoping for $250 or less.

Too much, I'll wait for it go down in price.

Way too high unless it comes with a full game

Good Try Nintendo.

Too high for entry.

Too much money!

Higher than expected.

Pretty much these. The only games I want are the best game ever Fifa
jk
Xenoblade 2 and Breath of the Wild.

I used to be a Nintendo only gamer, when I was like 7 and shit.

GOOCHY

Judging by this announcement this is going to be another example of what Nintendo always does.

Game Droughts: The Console (tm)

*Now with motion controls from 2007

Shinypogs

400$ Canadian, then taxes and then games and then you want me to pay to play online? That's not even remotely reasonable for someone in my position.

Still it looks like a solid product and hopefully one day a few years from now I can get it at a price that I'm comfortable with. Same as I did with my 3ds which I picked up last year and adore. I want the switch to do well but it's not a product I can justify buying at launch.

That presentation was a trainwreck. They spent an ungodly amount of time going over the hardware and presented us entirely with things we already knew about. What's the online going to be like? What's the OS like? How does that mobile app actually work? Can we see the system in action? What's the capacity like?

And that launch line up. My god. Zelda looks stellar but... um... that's it? They didn't even mention Mario Kart 8 (which is launching a month later) and spent more time on third party developers promising to make games than showing the ones that were actually in development. What exactly is that Square Enix RPG? That looked cool. Can we see more of that?

Nintendo learned nothing from the Wii U's reveal. Its message was muddled, confusing and absolutely devoid of any compelling piece of software outside of Zelda. I probably sit the launch out. Wii U Zelda is fine by me.

No, they spent a lot of time going over hardware precisely because they learned from the WiiU's reveal that people were actually fucking stupid and that it was necessary to treat them accordingly.

Tambini

£280...

Sad but I think I'm gonna wait until Mario comes out, this thing is so expensive and the best looking game on it is coming out on a console I already own on the same date..I guess you could say pre ordered cancelled

6pmLhuv.png

So another case of insiders proving that they have no fucking idea

Tagg9

So the launch lineup looks like the following games based on Nintendo's site:
- 1, 2 Switch
- The Legend of Zelda: BotW
- Just Dance 2017
- Has Been Heroes
- Snipperclips
- Super Bomberman R
- Disgaea 5 Complete
- Puyo Puyo Tetris
- Rayman Legends
- Steep
- Skylanders: Imaginators
- I Am Setsuna

JaseMath

I'll preorder only because I'm a dumb Nintendo fanboy, but I think it's too much of a Wii U2 than an entirely new experience. The controller prices are fucking crazy, though. That Nintendo Luxury Tax

Nightfall

I don't think that 299$ is too much. It's about right. 249 would have been sweet, but too optimistic.

The deal with the Switch is, that it's a hybrid between a console and a handheld. So I get that you pay a bit more since it has batteries and what not.

Though like many here I don't think the lineup is compelling enough to buy it yet. If Mario would be a launch game, then maybe. But like this?

The only interesting thing for me is Zelda. And that's not worth 299$.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
With SD cards its hardly an issue really.

I mean sure, giant SD cards and all, but I wouldn't mind having a few SD cards for the switch, cheap, easy install eeeeh

Yeah and this starts to increase the price past $300 and combined with maybe needing an extra battery and such, its far less inviting.

big fake

400$ Canadian, then taxes and then games and then you want me to pay to play online? That's not even remotely reasonable for someone in my position.

Still it looks like a solid product and hopefully one day a few years from now I can get it at a price that I'm comfortable with. Same as I did with my 3ds which I picked up last year and adore. I want the switch to do well but it's not a product I can justify buying at launch.
My thoughts exactly. Like Nintendo, come on. What are you doing.

Really weird to see how $50 can be a deal breaker for some people.

I'm on board for $300

add the paid online service + ludicrously overpriced accessories and you have your answer

at one point last year i gave consideration to buying one (even being a sony guy), but now... fuck that

oti

Banned
Here are my final predictions from 8 hours ago. I think I did pretty well. I'm not an insider.

Ok, time for final predictions with explanations. Keep in mind, I've been saying some of this stuff for days/weeks now. I'm not an insider, just my observations and what I feel like Nintendo will do.

- Nintendo will focus on the launch period with some hints for the future, don't expect to see everything.
- Nintendo's focus is offline co-op fun with friends, it's absolutely vital to Nintendo that Switch appeals to kids, they hope kids will play together with their friends on Switch thanks to the included Joy-Con. You may not like this but this will be the centre point of Nintendo's messaging.
- The controllers will rumble in some kind of new and innovative way, I got this idea from LKD's leak about the Rabbits X Mario RPG leak that described how Rabbids would infiltrate one's game through the controllers, that sounds like rumble but some kind of new rumble to me. After the 4chan leak I think it makes even more sense. It talks about some kind of money safe cracking game. How about feeling the right combination of numbers with the new rumble?
- Motion controls, Just Dance has them and Link is right-handed again.
- Splatoon 2 is a sequel and not a port, Mario Kart and Smash can get away being ports but not Splatoon, which is a new franchise, has some fan base building to do and I can't imagine Nintendo being done with the gameplay of Splatoon. I expect fresh gameplay mechanics and modes. It's also the pillar of Nintendo's eSports strategy. Launch game and so is Zelda.
- Mario Odyssey launches in the Holidays, trailer and playable demo at the event. Just doesn't make much sense to launch with Zelda, Splatoon and Mario.
- The 4chan leak is real, it confirms the minigame collection and sports game I speculated about and lists playable demos at a Europen event. Nothing on that list is outlandish. I know people see SF2 on that list and think otherwise, but the series' Anniversary is coming up so it makes sense. Same for Bomberman, which I was speculating about just a few days ago. Even in its current shape that makes sense for Konami. I also know that people might feel slightly disappointed by that list but Nintendo has got a lot to prove to the market with the Switch. If it turns out to succeed in what it sets out to do, third parties will follow. And again, there will be more at the event than this 4chan list.
- Mario X Rabbids I did expect to see at launch, but not seeing it on the 4chan list makes me question that. I thought being a launch game would make perfect sense for exposure, which is Ubisoft's goal with the Rabbids here, but maybe they're afraid people will only buy Zelda and Splatoon.
- Skyrim is not a launch game, that was always an odd assumption since Zelda is a launch game.
- No idea about price, hardware, battery life and that stuff. I'm just speculating here, baseless speculation for stuff like this is pointless.

Polarbear

Banned
Worst launch lineup I can remember in years.

Zelda. That's it. And what other 1st party titles are lined up for the rest of the year besides Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2?

RedAssedApe

Banned
are there even any games at launch besides Zelda? (missed half of the stream)

maybe should have delayed it til fall. new mario and zelda would be amazing even if they had nothing else

Yeah, $300 very much feels like a "wait and see." It's only a 50-dollar difference, but I'm not made of money. My thirst for Zelda will determine how long that lasts, though.

Kraq

Nintendo UK tweeted that it will be £279.99 on the UK Nintendo store.

You can get a PS4 with Uncharted 4 for £200. Going by the Wii U, I don't see this coming down in a price for a long time, if ever, either.

Wouldn't be surprised if a Pro Controller is £70. Christ.

I keep putting off buying another Nintendo console until the next one. I thought the Switch was going to be the one to stop that. :(

I was way into that initial introduction video. I thought this was a really poor showing. Too expensive, no interesting software. What a bummer.

docyoe

Nintendo is its own thing, comparing them to PS4 or Xbox is pointless. Nintendo is the only place you can play Zelda or Mario. They are the only one of the three that is actually irreplaceable. If PS4 or Xbox disappeared tomorrow you could just buy the other one.
wait what!?

jetsetrez

$300 + paid online + awful specs = I'll see ya at the end of the generation Nintendo when there are like 6 games I want to play for a fraction of the price.

I Said 299 all the time

To all 199 people, yeah Hope you know your Nintendo better by now.

Hint - If you had looked at the Price of the N3DS and Wii U, 199 was just the straight up nonsense for switch at launch

Edit: Wonder how much software Nintendo could sell on other consoles instead...

Dr. Buni

Everything (consumer electronics) is insanely overpriced in Brazil, what were you expecting? Wait until a friend or family visits the U.S. and ask them to bring you one back, like every other sane Brazilian.

Source: ex-pat Brazilian.
I was expecting to not have to pay for online. Switch + games + online is too much for me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
add the paid online service + ludicrously overpriced accessories and you have your answer

And how much people are willing to pay for whats a very secondary platform at best for many gamers.

Really weird to see how $50 can be a deal breaker for some people.

I'm on board for $300

So you pay 300 for the console... and then what?

We're talking about a console weaker than the competition and with ZERO third party support right now.

We don't know how much the online will be and how much Zelda will cost. Have you seen the price of the controller? As far as we know the IU can be complete garbage. Microsoft and Sony had several years to learn from their mistakes managing their online systems.

Can you take 360 dollars out of your bank account to play ONE SINGLE GAME for the whole year? People already have their investments on XB1 or PS4. The Switch isn't being very convincing.

And not everyone lives in the US.

DryvBy

lol. I'm usually optimistic about Nintendo but this was very bad. Not even mediocre but just plain bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom