• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

I assume this is a result of the Marvel stuff at Universal expiring soon afaik this would be a very suitable replacement for that stuff.
I heard that Marvel license for Universal Orlando was secured for a long long time way before Disney ever thought about buying Marvel. Everywhere I've read it's the same thing: it'll be a long long time before we see any Marvel attraction in Disney World so don't count on Marvel Island being replaced by Nintendo Land. If I had to guess I'd say Dr. Seuss Island or Toon Lagoon is going bye bye.

witness

Fucking awesome, about time. Can't wait for this, universal had been killing it the past few years. Already live near orlando so this is pretty perfect for me:

Iceternal

I heard that Marvel license for Universal Orlando was secured for a long long time way before Disney ever thought about buying Marvel. Everywhere I've read it's the same thing: it'll be a long long time before we see any Marvel attraction in Disney World so don't count on Marvel Island being replaced by Nintendo Land. If I had to guess I'd say Dr. Seuss Island or Toon Lagoon is going bye bye.

Would make sense since neither land has an E-ticket in it !

Salsa

seriously if Nintendo only realized how much they can make if they just opened there own theme park. Seriously they have the characters and scenarios to make it happen. SMH this will probably never happen. guess we have to settle.

lol dude you have any idea of the money involved?

spekkeh

Banned
Seems twenty years too late, there was a time when Mario was bigger than Mickey Mouse, not anymore. And they go with the competitor, hoo boy. Disney gonna be Dis-pleysed.

Of course I'll be first in line myself.

100% of the time Iwata be already planning these things. He just aint telling yall as soon as they think of making plans.
No, you don't get it. They've been asking Iwata this since he took office in 2003 and I'm sure Yamauchi was too before him. I assure you this Universal-Nintendo deal couldnt be more than a couple of years brewing for real. Sure Iwata would lie about it but I'm sure he wasn't liying about "no plans" when they asked him for the first 10 years of his tenure.

Kids being born today will never know the horror of the dark, desolate pre-Nintendo Land world. Years from now, we'll all sit our grandkids down and tell them terrifying tales of not being able to ride Waluigi.

The world will never be the same again.

oti

Banned
Pokémon Snap attraction in which you use the Wii U GamePad as camera.

Still no Pokémon Snap for Wii U. This would be so Nintendo.

AdanVC

yeah, thanks WiiU for Nintendo theme parks and mobile games!

I'm excite.

Wii U wasn't such a failure if it manage to make Nintendo get up out of their asses and do the things they have been doing lately, after all... ;)

Damn so true... It's like Wii U selling really bad was an eye opener for Iwata and company to make drastic changes and move into new directions such as the deal with DeNA to bring Nintendo on smarthphones and now this. If Wii U was selling like the PS4 is doing I'm sure Nintendo would not have been doing any of this.

No, you don't get it. They've been asking Iwata this since he took office in 2003 and I'm sure Yamauchi was too before him. I assure you this Universal-Nintendo deal couldnt be more than a couple of years brewing for real. Sure Iwata would lie about it but I'm sure he wasn't liying about "no plans" when they asked him for the first 10 years of his tenure.
I do get it. Maybe he was not lying just simply didnt want or didnt think it was feasible to begin such operations. Doesnt mean the idea was not on the board.

Frodo

Guys, think of the streetpasses...

THINK OF THE STREETPASSES!

ZLvbW8r.gif

OMG THE STREETPASSEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMOGMOGMOGMOGM

Mario Kart ride is literally guaranteed. That sub-franchise is INCREDIBLY well-known (it's probably Nintendo's most known property period) and is extremely easy to adapt to an attraction. From there it will be interesting to see what else pops up. Zelda is almost certainly a shoe-in and the Luigi's Mansion ride seems like another good bet. I hope a Metroid attraction will be included, but I doubt it.

I figure they would bring this to the original Universal Studios out in Los Angeles too, it'd be weird if it were only Orlando and Osaka.

Not necessarily. Universal Hollywood is extremely limited in terms of land. They have basically no room to expand, so any new attractions require the closing of existing attractions, and they're already planning to remove several in order to build a much smaller version of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Orlando on the other hand has huge amounts of land to expand onto.

I do get it. Maybe he was not lying just simply didnt want or didnt think it was feasible to begin such operations. Doesnt mean the idea was not on the board.
Like some guys here said before: if the WiiU was selling PS4 numbers I'd bet you anything this wouldn't be happening. It took the WiiU's failure for Nintendo to look elsewhere for business.

It can't be a coincidence that two of the boldest decisions Nintendo has done since they entered the console business were made withing a couple of months (DeNA colab on smartphones and now theme parks).

I thank the WiiU. Nintendo will never be the same after it and that's a good thing.

RagnarokX

Maybe the idea has been on the board but Nintendo wanted a bigger cut than potential partners were willing to give until more recently.

tumblr_n4yk8jKbnO1s94n1go1_400.jpg

That climb from Gamecube up to Wii down to Wii U would be quite exhilarating.
I need that .gif from The Simpsons with the Enron roller coaster riding its huge profits and then crashing down to poverty. Replace that with Nintendo console sales and you have your theme for a rollercoaster!

I imagine it'd get The Simpsons treatment. One major attraction (simulator like The Simpsons Ride), maybe Go-Karts if there's room, and a bunch of cool stuff to look at.

I imagine it'd get The Simpsons treatment. One major attraction (simulator like The Simpsons Ride), maybe Go-Karts if there's room, and a bunch of cool stuff to look at.
Sadly this is what it'll end up being. It'll be a section of an existing park. The most we can hope for, at least in the beginning, is one E Ticket ride (I.e. Intense experience) hopefully more intense than a simulator, a second attraction not nearly as incredible, character meet and greets, a bunch of stores, exclusive Universal only Amiibos (because of course they will), and an awesome diner that's Kirby themed or something.

Woke up in the middle of the night running a fever

Just saw this

Currently shaking and crying

Universal makes the best themed attractions in the world bar none

Holy motherfucking fuckshit balls Jesus fuck

Is this some sort of fever dream

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I think this may be part of a larger deal with Universal.

It wouldn't surprise me if this would be tied with movies too.

Thank you kind sir. Now my mind is going in places where it shouldn't be. Thanks.

Luigi's Mansion (haunted house)

Lon Lon Ranch (petting zoo)

MK Raceway (go-karts)

Mario Party Island Tour (minigames galore)

PokePark & a Pokemon Stadium in the center

Toadsworth Museum will have life size wax caricatures of Nintendo's most iconic heroes and villains, supplied by Madame Toussauds.

Water Park with Delfino Plaza

Food amenities include Malon's Cucco Grill (Chicken), Link's Hot Links (Hot dogs & sausages) Ness's PK Fire (spicy foods), Toad's Mushroom Kingdom (Burgers, pasta, pizza, regular fare but everything can have mushrooms on it by request), Falcon PUNCH!!! (Beverage stand), Kirby's Cotton Candy & Candied Apples, and for the parents there's Great Fairy's Fountain, where you'll feel like your heart containers have been refilled with your drinks.

Woke up in the middle of the night running a fever

Just saw this

Currently shaking and crying

Universal makes the best themed attractions in the world bar none

Holy motherfucking fuckshit balls Jesus fuck

Is this some sort of fever dream
Only when they truly want to. Those Harry Potter lands in both Universal Orlando parks are second to none. Disney could learn a thing or two from those themed lands. But nothing else from Universal touches the majority of sublime shit Disney does on their parks.

Here's hoping Universal will give Nintendo Land the same start treatment they have to Harry Potter.

Peltz

The movie where this GIF is from will have a ride in the same park. :O

Lmao... what an astute and hilarious observation.

Looks like I'm going to need to go to Universal again sometime in the near future. I'm excited to see what Nintendo-themed stuff they come up with.

I'm glad Universal is the theme park company that got this. I wouldn't want anyone else to have this opportunity.

Only when they truly want to. Those Harry Potter lands in both Universal Orlando parks are second to none. Disney could learn a thing or two from those themed lands. But nothing else from Universal touches the majority of sublime shit Disney does on their parks.

Here's hoping Universal will give Nintendo Land the same start treatment they have to Harry Potter.

Spider-Man is like, the best ride anywhere

Transformers is excellent

New King Kong ride will be off the wall amazing

Trust me, nothing to worry about here.

random25

DK Theme Ride should be a water log slide. This matches the jungle theme well.

Mario Kart would be much better as an actual go-kart ride rather than a roller coaster. Though it could also work as a mid-level roller-coaster ride. Just give the "heart-attack and vomit-inducing level" roller-coaster to F-Zero lol.

Another attraction would be Xenoblade X 4D movie ride. Daaaaaaamn.

mclem

I wonder if this could be a replacement for Marvel Superhero Island at Islands of Adventure.... just speculation..

Problem is that that's the place with the bigger thrill rides, which may not suit Nintendo's more 'accessible to everyone' approach. Assuming they'd be re-tooling them and not just replacing them

Also, that would mean the removal of Spider-Man. And no-one wants that.

Mind you, I could see them moving into Toon Lagoon. How does a change from "Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges" to "Mario's Flash FLUDD" sound?

Top Bottom