• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo teams with Universal for Theme Park attractions

BytFdsMIAAEa7wk.png:large

Brilliant news.

In some ways I was hoping for a full theme park, but this will do just fine.

If anything I prefer that this is being handled by Universal - If Nintendo went it alone... well I think they'd just get it completely wrong if i'm honest.

Fitts

I was just discussing Universal with a coworker this week. Looks like I'll be heading back down there at some point.

F-Zero ride please.

I was super bummed to see that the Back to the Future ride had been repurposed into a Simpsons ride last time I was there. Don't get me wrong, I adore golden era Simpsons, but it's an odd license to shoehorn into there. If they repurposed it into an F-Zero ride it would not only make perfect sense, but it would (likely) be amazing!

I'm starting to imagine some sort of Wind Waker ride similar to Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean.

Yeah, i'm having too much fun with the possibilities here. lol

Holy cow you guys weren't kidding with the "west of the Mississippi" thing. I always knew Disneyland could use Marvel but not Disney World but I'm amazed the actual contract mentions the damn Mississippi as border.

You guys were also correct about Universal Orlando holding Marvel in perpetuity so scratch that land as possibility for Nintendo Land.

Another tidbit that could give us an indication of the tortuous wait ahead of us: that Marvel-Universal contract? Was made in 1994. The actual park opening with the Marvel section ready? 1999.

This Nintendo deal being announced in 2015 tells me we won't set foot inside Nintendo Land before 2018 at best. And that's being very very positive.

If anything I prefer that this is being handled by Universal - If Nintendo went it alone... well I think they'd just get it completely wrong if i'm honest.

It'll be a collaboration. One of Universal's greatest strengths it's it's ability to work with the creators of IPs. They worked with Dr. Suess' widow for Suess Landing in IoA. WB and JK Rowling have to sign off on everything they do for Harry Potter. They also worked with Michael Bay and ILM for Transformers (ignore the films; the ride is great!). No doubt Nintendo will have creative impact on this project.

Holy cow you guys weren't kidding with the "west of the Mississippi" thing. I always knew Disneyland could use Marvel but not Disney World but I'm amazed the actual contract mentions the damn Mississippi as border.

You guys were also correct about Universal Orlando holding Marvel in perpetuity so scratch that land as possibility for Nintendo Land.

Another tidbit that could give us an indication of the tortuous wait ahead of us: that Marvel-Universal contract? Was made in 1994. The actual park opening with the Marvel section ready? 1999.

This Nintendo deal being announced in 2015 tells me we won't set foot inside Nintendo Land before 2018 at best. And that's being very very positive.

I'd say 2020 would be a possible year.

This is long overdue, would have definitely helped with sales if done earlier but still great news it's getting done.

I wonder what the adult to kid ratio will be here lol :p

It'll be a collaboration. One of Universal's greatest strengths it's it's ability to work with the creators of IPs. They worked with Dr. Suess' widow for Suess Landing in IoA. WB and JK Rowling have to sign off on everything they do for Harry Potter. They also worked with Michael Bay and ILM for Transformers (ignore the films; the ride is great!). No doubt Nintendo will have creative impact on this project.
True.

The Transformers ride at Universal Studios Orlando made me realize how great Michael Bay's creations are as theme park attractions. A 10 minute intense 3D ride/simulation is what they were made for. As 150 minute films they can't hold my attention. Much less for 4 of them.

Gsnap

Sounds great. All they need to do is get the help of the folks that made the Mario Kart 8 tracks and we'll be in business.

weekev

Banned
My Son is 1 on Tuesday, were planning on hitting Orlanda around his 5th birthday, please let Nintendoland be there when we go. Pleeeeeeease.

greenteaa

Neo Member
OH MY FUCKING GOD!
I've been dreaming of this since I was a kid! :') can't believe it's actually happening.

There better be some Hyrule action in this park.

Where's the Universal Studios, California attractions

this is bullshit

Trust me, if they have any common sense, both Nintendo and Universal would know to have a Nintendo Land in the Hollywood theme park. There's so much money to be made there. No offense to Orlando.

Universal is building stuff at an insane pace. I could actually see 2018-2019 if they want it bad enough. Comcast is splurging money into the parks.

That would be great if they did! I hope it's before 2020 at least.

That sounds about right. The most likely sites are Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone or Toon Lagoon

Sounds great. All they need to do is get the help of the folks that made the Mario Kart 8 tracks and we'll be in business.

Yeah, authenticity is key for them. Peter Cullen voices Optimus Prime in the Transformers ride, they use as much of the Harry Potter cast as possible, etc. I don't see anyone being let down by this. It's probably a long way off, but it'll be worth it.

That sounds about right. The most likely sites are Woody Woodpecker's Kidzone or Toon Lagoon

I could see the expansion plot between Simpsons and MiB as another possibility.

Zalman

WarioWare Arcade (featuring Mario Kart GP, Pokkén Tournament, brand new Waluigi Pinball)
Metroid Laser Tag
Mario Kart Bumper Cars
Luigi's Haunted Mansion
F-Zero Roller Coaster

Restaurants:
Mario & Luigi's Italian Food
Kirby the Gourmet

thefro

Always wanted this--thought it'd be Disney that Nintendo would team up w/ though :O

Comcast/Universal has been spending big money and building things quickly.

If they teamed with Disney it'd be 10 years before we actually saw an attraction.

Just... Cool your expectations a bit, guys.

I expect a re theme of Toon Lagoon with the Bilge-Rat Barges and the Ripsaw Falls being rethemed, with maybe another ride squeezed in somewhere. Some of you seen to be expecting them to give Nintendo an entire park.

Also, I fully expect Pokémon to be present in some fashion. It's been years since the PokéParks.

I think this is a great idea. It gives Nintendo the opportunity to give their IP exposure to a wide variety of people again. Hopefully they make the best of it.

I live in Orlando, born and raised.

This Nintendo thing isn't happening for at least a couple years or more. In the news article they talk about how they are still at the concept phase. Theme park concepts take a LONG time to implement.

They just announced this week that they are putting King Kong Skull Island at Islands of Adventure, so take that into consideration when you are trying to determine where they would put Nintendo.

http://m.wesh.com/orlandomyway/orlando-theme-parks/universal-orlando-promises-huge-announcement-wednesday/32834604

Universal is also building a water park, so this could be nothing more than a Mario pipe water slide. Remain skeptical until specifics are announced.

TrueBlue

Might as well go with the grain and come up with some ideas:

Mario Kart

Mario Circuit: A track designed after the classic recurring track of the franchise, designed for older children and up.

Baby Park: Simple track based off the track from Double Dash, suitable for minors and younger children.

Luigi's Mansion

Haunted Mansion: Pretty much speaks for itself. A haunted mansion in which you can explore and encounter a collection of Boos, ghosts and monsters from the series.

F-Zero

You gotta have a rollercoaster for this.

Animal Crossing

Plaza: Themed area which includes shops/restaurants etc

Pokemon

Pokemon Snap: Again, it speaks for itself. Now with a supermassive budget.

Star Fox

Flight simulator perhaps?

There's a lot of potential here, consider me excited.

EDIT: Of course, as some others have said, may be best until we get specifics before getting too hyped.

Fucking excite. Mario Kart Bumper Cars / Go Kart track sounds amazing. Imagine if they had mascot characters IN THE RACE with you!! So you and your friends are racing right beside Mario and Yoshi! The possibilities are really endless. God this will be so amazing.

thefro

I live in Orlando, born and raised.

This Nintendo thing isn't happening for at least a couple years or more. In the news article they talk about how they are still at the concept phase. Theme park concepts take a LONG time to implement.

You'll probably see Mario and Nintendo merchandise at the theme parks pretty quickly.

And I thought it was going to be disney if it was ever done.
Universal is really hitting the ball out of the park. Seeing the magic they are making right now with their land and rides while disney is lagging behind, I cant say im sad.
Did this as a university project, predicted wrong it seems lol
https://vimeo.com/24506373

You'll probably see Mario and Nintendo merchandise at the theme parks pretty quickly.

Maybe but that's nothing new for Orlando. Disneys Epcot sells Pokemon, Zelda and Mario merch in their Japan store. (And Sonic, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts...)

Top Bottom