• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

MUnited83

For you.
Half the thing i saw in this video aren't even that bad.

Like when prompt to do a takedown the character is placed closer to the target. Ok?

And really with that title, it shows a complete bias from the get go.

Look at the other videos in the channel. It does clearly show very clearly what the bias of the uploader is.

Cheever

Some of the footage floating around is over a year old. Playing the game is a different experience than watching a video of it. I saw several errors in Uncharted 4 and awful edge-of-world issues. I shrugged and continued playing the game because I was having fun.

No way it can be a bad game. Its been market so much on tv, Ads, and have shown tons of gameplay heading towards launch. It will have issues like the A.I and Bugs but will still be fun to play.
A big marketing budget doesn't indicate anything about the quality of a game.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Read the IGN article regarding why they haven't reviewed Mafia III yet and they said that 2K didn't give out review copies which we already know but yet, three days ago, the IGN channel on youtube had an unboxing video of the collector's edition which includes the game so why can't they just play that game and review it?

What's the difference between the review copy and the retail copy?

styl3s

This beginning of this footage is over a year old.
And cars no longer explode when you hit them like that.

Watch any current preview video compared to that you will see significantly less jank hell between the demo i played last year to this years demo it feels way better. I liked what i played, everyone i know who has played more likes it and that's all that matters to me. No review copies going out means zip to me.

Acorn

Read the IGN article regarding why they haven't reviewed Mafia III yet and they said that 2K didn't give out review copies which we already know but yet, three days ago, the IGN channel on youtube had an unboxing video of the collector's edition which includes the game so why can't they just play that game and review it?

Probably never actually had the disc or they don't want to break embargo and get blacklisted.

Whole situation is b.s.

UberTag

There's some kind of new "there's no embargo / but we're not going to comment on it" chicanery going on here.

Dommel

No way it can be a bad game. Its been market so much on tv, Ads, and have shown tons of gameplay heading towards launch. It will have issues like the A.I and Bugs but will still be fun to play.

Do you really believe that having a game with a big marketing budget can't a disappointment ?

Some of the footage floating around is over a year old. Playing the game is a different experience than watching a video of it. I saw several errors in Uncharted 4 and awful edge-of-world issues. I shrugged and continued playing the game because I was having fun.
It's almost like this could have all been cleared up with review copies so that all the leanest footage and impressions could be out there 🤔

It's fine. And worth your money from what I've played.
Just in side missions OtherJoe and I were having ridiculous amounts of fun, just as in GTAV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zDnuZ2OUBA

There's a danger of slight repetition when taking down rackets, as you have to cause X amount of monetary damage before a "boss" will come out to end that mission to take over a district but so far all the main line missions have either been pretty entertaining or slow intentionally for atmosphere.

I've no idea why they wouldn't give review copies to the "Big Guys" like IGN and Gamespot, maybe they felt bad since they didnt give them to the smaller outlets and went for parity?
The feeling I get was that it's just 2K being EXTREMELY paranoid and overprotective about Pirated Copies since its a high value triple AAA single player game that 2K has very high hopes for. They had the game on mobile PS4's under 2 layers of lock and key when they were traveling around to various outlets who couldn't make it to their HQ.

Is it as good as GTAV?
I can't tell from only 4 hours played but I can say there's no way this game is "bad" and posting buggy funny gif's is just as easy as with GTAV, so that's no real indicator, hell those things are in our opinion good for the game as it makes for funny videos! (as long as those bugs are infrequent as they seemed to be)
After playing it we felt it was a pretty easy buy in our minds, but can only say for sure after a full review.

I estimate that outlets will give it between 8-9's, maybe one or two 7's on the low end. Im sure the press will dock it for no multiplayer since they will compare it so closely to GTAV.
Ah, that makes some sense about the piracy paranoia with 2K.

dreamfall

So wait, will outlets have reviews up by the time the game releases? Or are we looking at a situation where reviews just go up at different times after Friday?

I wish it would unlock early on Steam.

dreamfall

We're posting links to racist Youtube channels now?

To confirm the game is shit, we'll go to any length! When they hit low, we hit lower!

Trash. I hope reviews come out soon, so people will know one way or the other if the game is for them. A couple of 7's and it'll be the worst game ever, fears confirmed!

A couple more days to enjoy it myself.

Tenck

END GAME SPOILERS FOR MAFIA 2 IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED IT.

Seriously, why not mark it?

I do hope they reveal what happened to that character.

If you haven't played Mafia 2 that post means nothing. Congratulations on spoiling that for people yourself.

Christ, the comments on that YouTube video. Alt-right trying to ruin New Order, too :/

Well, even the most egregious jank in the footage so far doesn't seem that bad. I'm still pretty optimistic about this.

Lime

Ok now I can see why 2K didn't provide review codes for Mafia 3 because wow... This does not look good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD7VYKN6Nh4

123214hlu6i.jpg

how coincidental that this particular channel doesn't like a game about killing white racists

still holding out hope this is good. loved the second game (though I've, admittedly, never played the first)

123214hlu6i.jpg

how coincidental that this particular channel doesn't like a game about killing white racists

he's permanently banned, I don't think adding to the dogpile is going to change anything

This is truly a boneheaded move. Good reviews drive preorders, 2K is just inviting Mafia III's prerelease to be defined by negative speculation.

I really hope this doesn't become the industry standard. It seems like more and more titles are opting for this strategy, phasing out professional reviewers in favor of Youtube "influencers" (no offense to Joe, who is one of the few that demonstrates consistent integrity).

Trace

Banned
This is truly a boneheaded move. Good reviews drive preorders, 2K is just inviting Mafia III's prerelease to be defined by negative speculation.

I really hope this doesn't become the industry standard. It seems like more and more titles are opting for this strategy, phasing out professional reviewers in favor of Youtube "influencers" (no offense to Joe, who is one of the few that demonstrates consistent integrity).

If the game is good no one will give a shit about the review situation. If it's bad, then fuck them for hiding it behind no reviews.

2K brought the collector's edition for them to film an in boxing and then took it back when they left.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
2K brought the collector's edition for them to film an in boxing and then took it back when they left.

That's stupid. 2K should have just let them keep the retail version to review. Makes no sense. Oh well. Four more days to go until I pick up the deluxe edition.

Piracy excuse doesn't make any sense, consoles doesn't have this issue, and in PC 2K is gonna use denuvo or arxlan DRM which will make sure Day 1 (more like month 1) piracy is impossible.
Isn't the issue that 2K doesn't use Denuvo?

What have they used on their latest releases?
Current trends on forums are more in lines that <90 is utter crap that shouldn't be played.
Oh please. The least you could do is save this annoying horseshit for the review thread.

I'm all over the place with this game.

First I watched 2 hours of gameplay and thought it looked repetitive and dull, but then I found out that's just the part where you have to do a certain amount of $$$ damage to take down a racket.

Then I watched some story missions and thought those looked much better so I got all excited about buying this tomorrow.

Now I find out it's not being released until Friday which makes no sense and I'm back to being disappointed.

Damn you Mafia 3!

I mean no man's sky literally came out like two months ago

But youtubers got to play this for over three hours, Gaming websites got to play long hours of it in Sept. No man sky was always a doubt lol. Tons of gameplay footage of the game to see how it feels. From all the footage the only thing that looks bad is the AI and the bugs. We shall see but its not going to be a horrible game lol.

Top Bottom