• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

RBH

MidgarBlowedUp said:
Around the middle of next year, maybe earlier, you will see PS3 sales topping 360 sales. Laugh all you want but, the real reason PS3 is bombing right now is due to NO GAMES, and it isn't like the 360 has that much to show for itself either but, it is the only other next gen console, is cheaper, and has a larger library, and of course 360 sales will take a big jump right now since Madden and Halo 3 are upon us (that should have been obvious). The PS3 just hasn't given us any big games yet, at least nothing that is exclusive, a sequel, and AAA. I think once the Halo 3 hype settles and Sony starts putting out proven exclusive games people have been waiting for from the PS2 days you will see a jump in sales. Until that happens, and I don't care if you knock $300 of the PS3's price it simply isn't going to help until these games are released, you aren't going to see big PS3 hardware numbers. Sony also needs to get Killzone 2 and Home ready and advertised all to hell.

IMO, the sales numbers for all consoles this time are not surprising at all.

rihannalolz.gif

Kosma

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Around the middle of next year, maybe earlier, you will see PS3 sales topping 360 sales.

You mean monthly sales in the US right? Sure that could happen, but it's not very likely. Cause next year there will be GTA fans buying 360's , just like people bought 360's to play Madden this year.

Will it matter considering the huge gap there is between the 360 and PS3 in the US (a gap that will grow bigger until that point that might or might not happen) , as far as US goes this gen? No.

StevieP said:
It takes at least 2 years to design a good, big budget, ground up game for any platform. I shouldn't have to say more.

That's the thing...they're making these 2 year, big budget games right now. Most every major dev has a 'big' project underway. They're announcing them left and right. Just, most of them are falling on the multiplatform side, with most of the exclusives being safer or lower-budget, or outright moneyhatted.

MidgarBlowedUp said:

So what you're saying is, games sell consoles and cheaper hardware helps? Whoulda thunk it?

soul creator said:
I never understood this assumption that the majority of customers just want to sit around and "wait for Sony" and ignore every other system. And that developers really love Sony and are just waiting for them to get a few extra sales, and then they'll abandon poor old Wii and 360. And that somehow all the other systems will stop releasing games of their own, while Sony pulls AAA game after AAA game out of its ass. And that they will somehow be just as ok with buying $399-$499 PS3 as they were with a $199 PS2

I suppose PS3 supporters have precedent...after all the 360 is selling better at $350 than the Xbox at $199...but that's totally ignoring that the sales for the first Xbox were (relatively) shit compared to the PS2.

But I agree, the assumption that all PS2 gamers are going to wait for the PS3 is quickly becoming silly. The Wii is going to approach the GCN's LTD by next summer, and will probably pass it in Japan and Europe sooner than that. The 360 is going to pass the Xbox's NA LTD before next christmas. Obviously the Madden numbers on the 'Xbox family' outselling the 'Playstation family' argues against it. PS2 software sales are down all around the world, yet we haven't seen a significant spike in PS3 software sales to correspond. These gamers are either no longer gaming, or they're in the process of acquiring new consoles. There certainly aren't 100 million gamers awaiting every release nowadays.

duk

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Around the middle of next year, maybe earlier, you will see PS3 sales topping 360 sales. Laugh all you want but, the real reason PS3 is bombing right now is due to NO GAMES, and it isn't like the 360 has that much to show for itself either but, it is the only other next gen console, is cheaper, and has a larger library, and of course 360 sales will take a big jump right now since Madden and Halo 3 are upon us (that should have been obvious). The PS3 just hasn't given us any big games yet, at least nothing that is exclusive, a sequel, and AAA. I think once the Halo 3 hype settles and Sony starts putting out proven exclusive games people have been waiting for from the PS2 days you will see a jump in sales. Until that happens, and I don't care if you knock $300 of the PS3's price it simply isn't going to help until these games are released, you aren't going to see big PS3 hardware numbers. Sony also needs to get Killzone 2 and Home ready and advertised all to hell.

360 has around 18+ games over 1M sold you know

chespace said:
I think 360's momentum will be too big by then, and the 360 will also have at least a $100 price advantage on the PS3. I just don't see it happening, at least in North America. I expect 360 to be $299 for the premium by next summer at the latest, which will be a very good mass market price.

Frillen

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I think you're lost, this isn't the PS3Forums.

StevieP

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
That's the thing...they're making these 2 year, big budget games right now. Most every major dev has a 'big' project underway. They're announcing them left and right. Just, most of them are falling on the multiplatform side, with most of the exclusives being safer or lower-budget, or outright moneyhatted.

So what you're saying is, games sell consoles and cheaper hardware helps? Whoulda thunk it?

Dev on those big projects being announced now started last year. Do I really have to spell it out for you?

MidgarBlowedUp said:

You might find a more hospitable audience for this line of reasoning after next week. For now, NPD rules the roost and your line of thinking is hopelessly misplaced.

StevieP said:
Dev on those big projects being announced now started last year. Do I really have to spell it out for you?

So the imaginary goal-post keeps getting pushed back...do we wait for TGS 08 for the real swing now? I don't think this shift that you're imagining is going to happen for another 12 months at the earliest, and by then will it even matter? We'll have already had 5 years of quality HD gaming by the time the big Wii 3rd party shift happens, if ever.

rs7k

MidgarBlowedUp said:

PS3 is destined for third place in North America forever. You act like PS3 will get good releases and then magically, it will sell much better than the 360. It's not like the 360 is going to stop getting games, and it will always be cheaper. There's not much to show the PS3's technical superiority outside of a handful of games, so how can they justify the price tag to consumers? Remember, most people buying these things don't have HDTV's.

MidgarBlowedUp said:
wACKY , kOOKY, cRAZY

I want to shoot that down right now , Lair was AAA , Heavenly Sword was AAA , VF5 was AAA and don't forget Motorstorm. These were all the next savior , ready to turn the tide , win the battle... You really sound like XBOX fans from last generation. You have to draw the line somewhere if you don't we will be hearing that some title that isn't even a twinkle in some development teams eye will be turning the tide in Q1 2010.

This excuse can literally be endless.

jarrod

Banned
Nolan. said:
Really? how many did the xbox manage I only know about 3.
I think he's talking worldwide.... and it's probably closer to 24 or 25 at this point. Wii's probably around 8-9 and PS3's at like, what, 2 or so?

clashfan

MidgarBlowedUp said:

Shane?

duk

Banned
jarrod said:
I think he's talking worldwide.... and it's probably closer to 24 or 25 at this point. Wii's probably around 8-9 and PS3's at like, what, 2 or so?

I was being consertive, but it's likely higher by now. It was around 16 or so 6 months ago?

doicare

MidgarBlowedUp said:

Yep i basically agree with what you are saying but this is sales age and you have to deal with knee jerk reactions and fanboys. This time last year if you had said the same things but talked about the wii selling well instead then you would have been jumped on.

icecream

Public Health Threat
rs7k said:
PS3 is destined for third place in North America forever. You act like PS3 will get good releases and then magically, it will sell much better than the 360.
While that may be true, it's not a lost battle in the rest of the world yet. (Wii notwithstanding)

gkryhewy

doicare said:
Yep i basically agree with what you are saying but this is sales age and you have to deal with knee jerk reactions and fanboys.

That is true. If only everyone would be REASONABLE like that guy, with his conservative predictions that a poorly selling console will magically rise from the grave to dominance within a console generation despite the sales patterns of all previous console generations.

That is true. If only everyone would be REASONABLE like that guy, with his conservative predictions that a poorly selling console will magically rise from the grave to dominance within a console generation despite the sales patterns of all previous console generations.

when did he predict that?

Jokeropia said:
Dragon Quest: Swords? Red Steel? Trauma Center? Rayman Raving Rabbits? Sonic and the Secret Rings? Tiger Woods? Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2? Resident Evil 4: Wii?

If I'm allowed to add first party sales too (since the issue seems to be software sales overall), the list obviously becomes longer.

Can you provide some stats to back this up? Show us some NPD top 10/20 with these titles in it. Someone in a thread a week or so back put out the top 10/20 for every month this year and the only 3rd party title to show up was RE4.

fernoca said:
4hbipo6.gif

Keep in mind that a million 360s were sold last December...
So it's only a matter of seeing if Nintendo can ship over a million units this holiday season.
OMG.

I think I found where your avatar came from! Geoff!! :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

*downloads*

Odysseus said:
i should point out that sales of madden on wii do make me wonder about some of my wii assumptions so far, however.
Which was? I'm curious. No snark.

VALIS

The saner Sony fans have realized the only "battleground" left for the PS3 is Europe. It is locked in for 2nd in Japan and 3rd in the US. If you don't think so, post the scenario using actual numbers that has the PS3 overtaking the 360 in the US. The PS3 would have to sell 100K more monthly for about 5 years straight just to be TIED with the 360. The "war" is quite over, just enjoy the games, fellas.

The Ps3 seems to be stuck in a rut of around 120k and lower while the 360 always does 150K. The 360 also has better third party support.

You know how people always say that the Wii's power under the hood handicaps it because games for the HD consoels can't be easily ported to it? The other side of the coin is being or will be felt by the PS3. The two HD consoles are too similar that any exclusive games the PS3 gets has a high likelihood of being ported to the PS3. Sony has no chance in NA.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Sure, it's easily a million-and-a-half seller regardless of circumstances, but that's not the numbers Square wants to see for a new mainline FF title, particularly if the budget has increased over last time.

Square needs this to be at least as big as XII, and at this point I just can't see that happening.

You're way too pessimistic. Isn't FFXII one of thier worse selling yet? FF mainline titels tend to do better at the start of the generation to boot. I say it *should* handilly surpass FFXIII, but not by a large margin.

In Europe how is the 360 / PS3 situation in specifically the UK? From what I can gather in reality it's a pretty interesting race. Like neck and neck.

Odysseus

Banned
titiklabingapat said:
Which was? I'm curious. No snark.

my working assumption is that the bulk of the wii audience is currently composed of existing gamers, splitting them mostly between gamecube and ps2 backgrounds (which is supported by admittedly anecdotal evidence in my surroundings). i would have thought that madden on wii would have outperformed typical nintendo patterns for madden thanks to the influx of ps2 gamers. it could very well be that those ps2-to-wii gamers bought madden for their ps2s, but that's another assumption that may not be correct.

Anerythristic said:
In Europe how is the 360 / PS3 situation in specifically the UK? From what I can gather in reality it's a pretty interesting race. Like neck and neck.

uk Numbers from a few months back put the 360 at 1.2million and the ps3 at about 200k

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
So the imaginary goal-post keeps getting pushed back...do we wait for TGS 08 for the real swing now? I don't think this shift that you're imagining is going to happen for another 12 months at the earliest, and by then will it even matter? We'll have already had 5 years of quality HD gaming by the time the big Wii 3rd party shift happens, if ever.

I don't know how you can deny that there is already a shift going on. Sure, there hasn't been a HUGE MEGATON, but there have been a lot of new Wii projects announced lately. Now, I'm not saying 360/PS3 games are simply not coming as a result, but to look at the past few months and say that there isn't a real swing already happening rings false to me.

And re: your earlier point about multi console games selling well. Well yeah of course...but I do find it significant that most Wii announcements are exclusives while most 360/PS3 announcements are exactly that. Exclusives still matter.

AniHawk

KeithFranklin said:
Can you provide some stats to back this up? Show us some NPD top 10/20 with these titles in it. Someone in a thread a week or so back put out the top 10/20 for every month this year and the only 3rd party title to show up was RE4.

Oddly, it's the only third-party Wii game to receive consistent scores at 9 or above.

If anything, it shows there's a fanbase there that's not going to buy just any crap third parties shit on the Wii. How does Resident Evil 4 fit your stereotypical "Wii fanbase" at all? There just needs to be some effort put into these games.

Jokeropia

KeithFranklin said:
These games have performed well worldwide, and certainly matched or exceeded their expectations.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
KeithFranklin said:
What's with the Microsoft talking points?

AniHawk said:
Oddly, it's the only third-party Wii game to receive consistent scores at 9 or above.

If anything, it shows there's a fanbase there that's not going to buy just any crap third parties shit on the Wii. How does Resident Evil 4 fit your stereotypical "Wii fanbase" at all? There just needs to be some effort put into these games.

I think it is pretty safe to state that a very large percentage of GCN owners have purchased a Wii. I also think that a high percentage of those that bought RE4 for GCN went out and picked up RE4 for the Wii, because they thought it was a great game before and would be even more interesting on the Wii with the waggle.

schuelma

KeithFranklin said:
I think it is pretty safe to state that a very large percentage of GCN owners have purchased a Wii. I also think that a high percentage of those that bought RE4 for GCN went out and picked up RE4 for the Wii, because they thought it was a great game before and would be even more interesting on the Wii with the waggle.

I'd say its much more likely that great RE4 sales are a result of a new audience buying the game for the first time.

schuelma said:
I'd say its much more likely that great RE4 sales are a result of a new audience buying the game for the first time.

You have your theory's and I have mine. To me what we see selling on the Wii month after month makes me believe that 2 types are purchasing the Wii. The traditional Nintendo gamer and some new gamers that are attracted to mini-games.

RBH

Anerythristic said:

I remember reading over a month ago about how the Wii is outselling the 360 by a ratio of 4:1 and the PS3 by a ratio of 6:1 in the UK. And then about a week ago, Chart Track had a report that said that 360 sales had increased 260% in the UK since the recent price drop, so it looks like the 360 is currently tracking ahead of the PS3 in the UK.

schuelma

KeithFranklin said:
You have your theory's and I have mine. To me what we see selling on the Wii month after month makes me believe that 2 types are purchasing the Wii. The traditional Nintendo gamer and some new gamers that are attracted to mini-games.

Wow, how convenient for you- that completely fits in with your "real 3rd party games" don't/won't sell on Wii! Of course, RE4 doesn't count because it was a Gamecube game, and that means people buying RE4 are traditional Nintendo gamers so it doesn't count! Brilliant!

Evlar

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
How is asking for proof of these so called good selling 3rd party titles a Microsoft talking point? We havent seen them on the NPD charts so how do people know?
Because we've seen them on the NPD charts.

Anerythristic said:
Chartrack about 3 weeks ago said 360 was outselling PS3 by 50% (they said Wii was outselling PS3 by 6:1 and 360 by 4:1). After the pricedrop, Chartrack said that 360 sales increased by 260%, and the following week the sales only dropped by 20%.

So I think its pretty clear that 360 is handily outselling the PS3 in the UK. The UK will eat up Halo 3 as well (Halo is very big over there).

The Sphinx said:
Because we've seen them on the NPD charts.

Really? When?

Here are the Wii titles in the NPD top 10/20 charts this year.

3rd Party Wii titles in the disclosed NPD Top 10-20

July NPD:
9 13 RESIDENT EVIL 4 WII CAPCOM USA Jun-07

June NPD
09. Wii Resident Evil 4

May NPD
15 WII SPIDER-MAN 3 Activision

January through April
None

1st Party Wii titles in the disclosed NPD Top 10-20

July NPD:
8 20 POKEMON BATTLE REVOLUTION WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jun-07

June NPD
01. Wii Mario Party 8 -- 426.2k
08. Wii Pokemon Battle -- 157.9k
16. Wii Super Paper Mario
19. Wii Big Brain Academy: Wii

May NPD:
314k WII MARIO PARTY 8
11 WII SUPER PAPER MARIO Nintendo
14 WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS Nintendo

April NPD:
WII SUPER PAPER MARIO NINTENDO OF AMERICA APR 2007 EVERYONE (E) 352K

March NPD
None

February NPD:
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) - Nintendo - 130K
9. WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) - Nintendo - 109K

January NPD
4. WII WARIOWARE: SMOOTH MOVES 201k
5. WII LEGEND OF ZELDA: TWILIGHT PRINCESS 189k

Evlar

Banned
KeithFranklin said:
Really? When?
Well, appears to be in May, June, and July according to what you just posted. And for some reason you forgot August, which had three on the console top twenty (Madden, RE4, and Boogie).

That was really easy.

Top Bottom