• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2007

FIREBABY said:
Sold mine for the same amount last week. Although I only had RFOM. Good game by the way. Sadly I didn't have any regret selling it though. All I could think of was the guy I was selling it to, "Damn, what a sucker.".

Funny, the guy who bought it was probably thinking something similar about you.

Nolan. said:
It's weird though whatever happened to all the momentum it had going into the holidays. I mean a lot of people were looking forward to the games coming out in q4. I don't get how come suddenly it's so sombre (or is the sales whats depressing on gaf thats quietened a lot of people).
I think the mediocre turn outs of Lair, Warhawk and Heavenly Sword have much to do with it.

Warhawk is a good game, but no single player, taking away much of its selling power. HS is too short to have much selling power, and Lair simply sucks.

Not to mention, PS3 versions of 3rd party titles continue to get delayed.

kpop100 said:
Every NPD and sales topic would have you believe the leap by 3rd parties from X360 and PS3 to Wii is right around the corner, meanwhile actual game announcements show the opposite. It must be frustrating for all the little Wii only owners. But I guess sales are a nice consolation for you guys ;)

Huh?

Wii has had way more announcements than the 360 or PS3 in recent months.

DuckRacer

Nolan. said:
It's weird though whatever happened to all the momentum it had going into the holidays. I mean a lot of people were looking forward to the games coming out in q4. I don't get how come suddenly it's so sombre (or is the sales whats depressing on gaf thats quietened a lot of people).
Well, what fed this is Lair tanking, Heavenly Sword not being all that, MGS4 being delayed, etc. The current sales situation doesn't help lift up PS3 owners' attitude as well.

FIREBABY

Shepherd said:
I would say the trouble is the software sales.
Damn right thats the problem. Hardware sales could be exactly like they are now and if the people would buy the games for it it wouldn't be an issue, well not as much. All the games so far people said "wait til x title" has not moved what it should have. Maybe they buy more blu-ray movies than games. Which is exactly what my situation was. 4 movies, 1 game...yeah.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Wii - I think Nintendo just reaffirmed that they will not be beaten this generation. Another 100k per week avarage in the middle of summer. If they are doing that now, I don't understand why their is any doubt about the holiday supplies.

360 - This was its best month all year, on both the hardware and software. Hardware sales don't impress me much ... a price drop and two huge releases only bumped sales up by 106k. They need another price drop before Thanksgiving. I'm a both happy and sad for Bioshock ... it a great start but the 360's history suggests that the game will never sell more than a million in the US.

PS3 - Poor Sony. If all 3 systems launch side-by-side, the PS3 wouldn't be doing so bad (still 3rd) but that didn't happen. There is still hope for the system.

Madden - Good growth for the series over last year. Still, we're looking at less than 1/2 of the games final sales. I doubt its LTD sales at the end of the year will look similar to now. EA has total messed up the shipping of this game. There was recall on some of the verions of the game the first few days and we've been sold out of the PS2 and Wii version for weeks ... Stop sending us the Gamecube version!

NCAA Football - What the hell happened to this series? It another steep drop from last year.

Metroid Prime 3 - It did better than I expected given its short shelf time. It beat Echoes first month, which had more time in a November. I expect another 200-250k next month.

KeithFranklin said:
Until software sales prove that it is just a theory. Take away WiiPlay (It is in reality an accessory sale) and the Wii games in the top 20 sold about 600K.
You really need to try harder.

mepaco

JJConrad said:
Madden - ... There was recall on some of the verions of the game the first few days and we've been sold out of the PS2 and Wii version for weeks ... Stop sending us the Gamecube version!

Really?! The stores around me have also been sold out of Madden Wii (at least the last two times I checked). Don't think this really means anything but it is interesting.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
FIREBABY said:
Damn right thats the problem. Hardware sales could be exactly like they are now and if the people would buy the games for it it wouldn't be an issue, well not as much. All the games so far people said "wait til x title" has not moved what it should have. Maybe they buy more blu-ray movies than games. Which is exactly what my situation was. 4 movies, 1 game...yeah.

Yup, software sales is a huge problem as it affects publisher business strategies, which in turn dictate a console's third party portfolio.

Which comes first, the chicken or the egg. I ate the chicken and then I ate the egg.

radjago

Tzeentch said:
It's certainly not helping either the PC or the PSP, but the ham-handed responses by the industry (StarForce and now SecuROM) are NOT helping matters at all - especially when there is a high quality console version available as well.

PC sales are also affected by the absolutely abysmal adoption of good video cards by the mass market brands. Sure you have cheap Walmart machines with 2GB RAM, 19" flatscreen monitors, 500GB hard drives ... but they have some sub-GeForce 5200 level integrated graphics chip ...
Fixed.

BTW, did Bioshock's copy protection scheme get cracked yet?

DyersEve

After reading all this it still boogles my mind why people are saying Metroid Prime 3 sales are bad even though it was only out for 4 days of sales and sold 200k. I mean thats not even an week of sales yet. 200k is probbably or aleast close to what Bioshock was selling in its first 4 days of sales, it was out for 2 weeks before the end of August.

pvpness

All this talk of third party sales has got me feeling bad for SE. I mean they're putting all this time and money into FFXIII and it's not gonna pull anywhere near the numbers they expected it too when they started development.

They must feel like they're pumping gas into a car thats already been wrecked.

stewacide said:
Not precise enough? What on earth then is a dual-analog shooter?!?!?

MP3 is the best controlling first-person game I've ever played and that includes PC mouse-and-keyboard (being able to move with an analog stick, as opposed to digital 4-way WASD, is a significant if under-appreciated upgrade)

THANK YOU!!!

I'm glad at least one other individual on the planet gets it. We're on the third generation of analog movement control on consoles now, and meanwhile, on the PC side, I have to edit an .ini file just to get digital "key-map" support for a joystick in a FPS game, and analog is flat-out not supported (although it used to be).

Kosma

Banned
pvpness said:
All this talk of third party sales has got me feeling bad for SE. I mean they're putting all this time and money into FFXIII and it's not gonna pull anywhere near the numbers they expected it too when they started development.

What?

Final Fantasy is bona fide guaranteed million seller. It would sell a million copies to fanboys even if the system to play it on wasn't out yet.

oo Kosma oo said:
What?

Final Fantasy is bona fide guaranteed million seller. It would sell a million copies to fanboys even if the system to play it on wasn't out yet.
Sure, it's easily a million-and-a-half seller regardless of circumstances, but that's not the numbers Square wants to see for a new mainline FF title, particularly if the budget has increased over last time.

Square needs this to be at least as big as XII, and at this point I just can't see that happening.

CTLance

OK guys, I'm not going to bother reading 1500 posts. You're all insane, insane I tell you.

I'm not sure if pics are allowed, last I knew they were, but in 1500 posts anything could have happened. I only had enough stamina for the first five pages, I'm afraid. Looks like I missed nothing, though. The same tired and drawn-out fights as in every other system wars NPD thread. :lol

Thus, I'll link this bitch. This DVD cover somehow seems shoppable and appropriate.

My version of the standard reply:
Wii: nice numbers, shitty Madden sales. Inexcusable. Nice MP3 sales.
360: s'OK, and nice Madden sales.
PS3: ouch. Needs fixing. Interesting software numbers, though.

DyersEve said:
After reading all this it still boogles my mind why people are saying Metroid Prime 3 sales are bad even though it was only out for 4 days of sales and sold 200k. I mean thats not even an week of sales yet. 200k is probbably or aleast close to what Bioshock was selling in its first 4 days of sales, it was out for 2 weeks before the end of August.

I believe it was 5 days of sales: August 28th through September 1st. Sales are tracked on a retail 4-week calendar, not through August 31st.

But don't sweat it. It's a fine number. That's nearly twice as fast as Prime 1 sold; it took 10 days to reach 250k, Prime 3 nearly did that in 5.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/378/378902p1.html

Kosma

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Sure, it's easily a million-and-a-half seller regardless of circumstances, but that's not the numbers Square wants to see for a new mainline FF title, particularly if the budget has increased over last time.

Square needs this to be at least as big as XII, and at this point I just can't see that happening.

I don't think they worry that much though.

If the PS3 will fall into the N64 (at best atm) or GC (at worst atm) category I think the major titles that drove the hardcore to buy the console (MGS, FF) will still see comparable or better sales regardless of installed base. Just as it was on Nintendo's past two consoles.

Less know franchises are in trouble though.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Perhaps i'm not looking in the right places, but I honestly do not notice many new announcements for the PS3 or 360 worldwide, at least to eclipse the Wii.

You haven't noticed

Silent Hill 5
Borderlands
Rage
Race Driver One
Wet
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mafia 2
Dead Island
Smash Court Tennis 3
Yakuza 3
Dead Space
Prototype
They
End
Star Ocean 4
Guilty Gear 2

over the last few months? Not counting XBLA or PSN stuff. I don't know the exact number of Wii announcements, but it's not like 3rd party support has just dried up on the HD side of things.

pvpness said:

FF drives hardware sales not vice versa. If Crisis Core is any indication, FFXIII could move a million units of hardware in Japan alone.

blitz64

1 year ago, I remember I hear alot of people say Nintendo will become 3rd party like Sega.

Growing up as mainly owning 1 console (nintendo), I really wish the console wars went back to the good old days. The reason is all my friends would enjoy the same games or I can bring my games over to their house.
Nowadays, you have to either choose to play nintendo games, sony ones, or microsoft. Not everyone can afford all 3 consoles nor the room/space in their bedroom to put all 3.

CrisKre

in regards to how zack and wilki is going to sell, id say anyone expecting over 150-200k us ltd sales is delusional. if it break 200k id call it a sleeper hit. C'on. Its probably as niche of a title as you can get. Its Elebits niche. lets not have unfair expectations here people.

gkryhewy

MassiveAttack said:
FF drives hardware sales not vice versa. If Crisis Core is any indication, FFXIII could move a million units of hardware in Japan alone.

Because Crisis Core has moved AT LEAST two hundred thou.... oh.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Sho_Nuff82 said:
You haven't noticed

Silent Hill 5
Borderlands
Rage
Race Driver One
Wet
Ninja Gaiden 2
Mafia 2
Dead Island
Smash Court Tennis 3
Yakuza 3
Dead Space
Prototype
They
End
Star Ocean 4
Guilty Gear 2

over the last few months? Not counting XBLA or PSN stuff. I don't know the exact number of Wii announcements, but it's not like 3rd party support has just dried up on the HD side of things.

I don't want to get into list wars here, but most of those games are multi platform, and the Wii has gotten a decent number of exclusives the past few months- ToS spinoff, We Love Golf, King Story, oboro muramasa youtouden, monster lab, trauma center 2. (I'm missing some, but these are the ones that come to mind).

Kosma

Banned
gkrykewy said:
Yes, I think he's out of his mind with batshit insane exaggeration. Sorry that wasn't clear.

So because a handheld spin off of an FF game pushes 200k PSP at a higher then normal price you don't think the next installment of the main series will be able to push 500k/1000k PS3's?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Zack and Wiki will most likely bomb. It may be a great game, but it looks too kiddy, moreso than VJ imo, and that'll end up hurting it. And I don't really expect Capcom to market it very much for some reason.

felipeko

Sorry about being so late.... But Big Brain Academy pretty much bombed on US (and Japan), and it was a "1st party mini-game" game. And it bombed..

I mean, a Nintendo game that appeals to the userbase, and bombed.

So enough of this "Nintendo games sells regardless the quality", Mario Party got the sales it deserves, you like it or not. But if someone is going to use the "sucky Nintendo games sells" try to use Big Brain as example next time.

gkryhewy

oo Kosma oo said:
So because a handheld spin off of an FF game pushes 200k PSP at a higher then normal price you don't think the next installment of the main series will be able to push 500k/1000k PS3's?

First of all, I pulled that 200k number out of my ass, although it's probably fairly reasonable, if a bit high. Second of all, "higher than normal price"? What? Third, there's a big difference between 500k and a million. A 100% difference for example.

Kosma

Banned
gkrykewy said:
First of all, I pulled that 200k number out of my ass, although it's probably fairly reasonable, if a bit high. Second of all, "higher than normal price"? What? Third, there's a big difference between 500k and a million. A 100% difference for example.

Man I don't know the numbers either, I might have pulled them from your ass too.

Point is, FF drives sales. And FFXIII will drive more of them then FF7:CC.

Edit: FF7:CC sold 350k already, becoming the fastest selling handheld FF ever, according to the hype thread. Dunno how much hardware increased due to it though.

DuMaurier

JoshuaJSlone said:
He's serious. I too think November and December are X360's best opportunities to outsell Wii, since we're not really sure how supply will shake out.

I'm assuming Nintendo is doing some hardcore hording of supply right now that they'll unleash around Black Friday. If they aren't and they'll only be able to get 450K/month to the American market then it's guaranteed the 360 will outsell it. How many 360s were sold last Christmas to parents responding to the Wii shortage and not wanting to disappoint their kids? If Nintendo can get 1 million plus to market each month then 360 won't beat it, anything less and the 360 will win and we know MS can flood the market with consoles.

schuelma said:
I don't want to get into list wars here, but most of those games are multi platform, and the Wii has gotten a decent number of exclusives the past few months- ToS spinoff, We Love Golf, King Story, oboro muramasa youtouden, monster lab, trauma center 2. (I'm missing some, but these are the ones that come to mind).

Because multi-platform games never sell well or sell systems.

Oh wait MADDEN/GUITAR HERO/CALL OF DUTY/ NCAA says hi.

He made the argument that weren't any new games (or new games of significance, who can tell?) being announced for 360 or PS3, this is obviously not true. And this is on top of the 2008 releases we already knew about, which are still pretty hefty on the 360/PS3 side.

StevieP

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Because multi-platform games never sell well or sell systems.

Oh wait MADDEN/GUITAR HERO/CALL OF DUTY/ NCAA says hi.

He made the argument that weren't any new games (or new games of significance, who can tell?) being announced for 360 or PS3, this is obviously not true. And this is on top of the 2008 releases we already knew about, which are still pretty hefty on the 360/PS3 side.

It takes at least 2 years to design a good, big budget, ground up game for any platform. I shouldn't have to say more.

basik

felipeko said:
Sorry about being so late.... But Big Brain Academy pretty much bombed on US (and Japan), and it was a "1st party mini-game" game. And it bombed..

I mean, a Nintendo game that appeals to the userbase, and bombed.

So enough of this "Nintendo games sells regardless the quality", Mario Party got the sales it deserves, you like it or not. But if someone is going to use the "sucky Nintendo games sells" try to use Big Brain as example next time.

I was gonna buy BBAwii until I saw they were trying to sell it at full price (49.99)... nope. I'll buy at 29.99 or less.

Around the middle of next year, maybe earlier, you will see PS3 sales topping 360 sales. Laugh all you want but, the real reason PS3 is bombing right now is due to NO GAMES, and it isn't like the 360 has that much to show for itself either but, it is the only other next gen console, is cheaper, and has a larger library, and of course 360 sales will take a big jump right now since Madden and Halo 3 are upon us (that should have been obvious). The PS3 just hasn't given us any big games yet, at least nothing that is exclusive, a sequel, and AAA. I think once the Halo 3 hype settles and Sony starts putting out proven exclusive games people have been waiting for from the PS2 days you will see a jump in sales. Until that happens, and I don't care if you knock $300 of the PS3's price it simply isn't going to help until these games are released, you aren't going to see big PS3 hardware numbers. Sony also needs to get Killzone 2 and Home ready and advertised all to hell.

IMO, the sales numbers for all consoles this time are not surprising at all.

Ddr0id

Banned
MidgarBlowedUp said:
Around the middle of next year, maybe earlier, you will see PS3 sales topping 360 sales. Laugh all you want but, the real reason PS3 is bombing right now is due to NO GAMES, and it isn't like the 360 has that much to show for itself either but, it is the only other next gen console, is cheaper, and has a larger library, and of course 360 sales will take a big jump right now since Madden and Halo 3 are upon us (that should have been obvious). The PS3 just hasn't given us any big games yet, at least nothing that is exclusive, a sequel, and AAA. I think once the Halo 3 hype settles and Sony starts putting out proven exclusive games people have been waiting for from the PS2 days you will see a jump in sales. Until that happens, and I don't care if you knock $300 of the PS3's price it simply isn't going to help until these games are released, you aren't going to see big PS3 hardware numbers. Sony also needs to get Killzone 2 and Home ready and advertised all to hell.

Joke post , right ?

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I never understood this assumption that the majority of customers just want to sit around and "wait for Sony" and ignore every other system. And that developers really love Sony and are just waiting for them to get a few extra sales, and then they'll abandon poor old Wii and 360. And that somehow all the other systems will stop releasing games of their own, while Sony pulls AAA game after AAA game out of its ass. And that they will somehow be just as ok with buying $399-$499 PS3 as they were with a $199 PS2

Top Bottom