• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2008

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
"While some have wondered if the popularity of Guitar Hero and Rock Band is waning, both properties realized their best month yet in dollar sales, and combined represent 16% of total software dollar sales this month."

Yay Rock Band isn't dead.

Kenka

What the fuck ??? On a weekly basis, Wii ACTUALLY SOLD LESS THAN IN NOVEMBER ?!

November : 4 weeks
December : well, 5 weeks
Numbers : roughly the same

What the fuck ?

jsrv

Any chance of them releasing the numbers for Persona 4? It's really the only game I'm curious how well it performed in December.

[Nintex]

Kenka said:

What the fuck ?
They ran out of Pikmin

gaftrek4.gif

Deserves an airing out with results like this.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I think the real story here is that the 360 price cuts didn't do much for the system overall, as the system sold 100k more in 2008 than in 2007. However, it did impact PS3 sales big time, it seems.

Xisiqomelir

Solid gj to JoshJS and apujanata. They had the faith in themselves and they have been rewarded.

One more time:

lol@HD gaming

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
That's quite a lot of Nintendo. Literally. At least bought some decent games with it this month! :D

widgetraf

Puncture said:
(Points to every woman walking the earth).... wat?

Plz dont ban me

Also its just to soon for the DSI. Too soon over here man.

Ah yes, the PS3 is like menstrual blood now. :lol

Opiate

Thank you for the thorough drubbing on Guitar Hero, guys. That will teach me to make a mistake on NPD day!

Serious question, now that it's been brought up: has any third party Wii game other than Rock Band / Guitar Hero ever made the top 10 in America? Any non music games?

I believe Mario and Sonic has. Anything else?

VALIS

AstroLad said:
i wish i knew every poster's post history on all forums from back around the ps2 release when they were shitting all over the dc and burying it so i could take that shit and dirt and rub it in their fucking faces now.

"year of the ps3!!!!11oneone"

:lol :lol

ps shane is no longer regularly podcasting fuckers

bhzm6c.jpg

Kifimbo

Kenka said:

What the fuck ?

Well, the last week of December (after Christmas) isn't a big week, especially for the Wii since it was sold out.

AstroLad said:
i wish i knew every poster's post history on all forums from back around the ps2 release when they were shitting all over the dc and burying it so i could take that shit and dirt and rub it in their fucking faces now.
Welcome to NeoGAF. I love you.

2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PS2 2.50 million ( - 37%)
NDS 9.95 million ( +17% )
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

2007:

Wii 6.29 million
360 4.62 million
PS2 3.97 million
PS3 2.56 million
NDS 8.50 million
PSP 3.82 million

Notes:

Wii/DS sales monstrous. Wii in particular seeing tremendous growth.
360 sales relatively flat despite a large price cut to a mainstream price $199
PS3 sales up 38% for the year with no price cut.
PS2 seeing significant decline.
PSP sales nearly identical YoY

AstroLad said:

"year of the ps3!!!!11oneone"

:lol :lol

ps shane is no longer regularly podcasting fuckers

That's admirable. Lowering yourself to the standards which you so despised. Nice ... :lol

Blame!

VALIS said:
2007 | 2008

Wii - 1.35m | 2.15m
Xbox 360 - 1.26m | 1.44m
PS3 - 797k | 726k

Awesome months for 360, Wii. Another year-over-year backslide for PS3. That console is in terrible shape right now.

damn ps3 actually sold worse YOY?

:'(

EviLore said:
Care of NPD Group

PS2 410K - It just won't die!
PS3 726K - :lol :lol :lol
PSP 1.02M - Impressive
X360 1.44M - Damn good Microsoft.
Wii 2.15M - Not as much as I expected but obviously supply constrained.
DS 3.04M - :lol @ the people thinking Nintendo is going to launch a DS successor soon.

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M - Wow.
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.33M* - Damn good Microsoft.
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K- Where'd this come from?
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K - Played this a few days ago. Not that bad.
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR 859K* - Whoa! WTF!?
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 745K* - Damn.
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 629K - Valve is tapping in to console mainstream. :D
NDS MARIO KART 540K - Where'd you come from?
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 533K - :lol SONY software sales.
WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 497K* - Nice.

Sleeker said:
2007 holiday sales:

* NDS: 2,470,000
* Wii: 1,350,000
* 360: 1,260,000
* PS2: 1,100,000
* PSP: 1,060,000
* PS3: 797,600

All up but SONY platforms. :(

DMeisterJ

Banned
SimpleDesign said:
PSP is great for Sony, not for anyone else.

Now where the hell did I hear that before?

That is a beautiful statement, because it's true. ;_; Sells freaking good hardware, but only ever moves software in Japan. x_x

Frillen said:
But people buy it for other reasons than gaming.

CFW + Piracy? Aren't those fixed in the 3k? (I'm no pirater/CFW-er). But yeah, I agree that there must be some other reason for buying PSP than software since it does crap. ;_;

widgetraf

DevelopmentArrested said:
Exactly what Gears 2 isn't. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Gears 2 isn't exactly casual. It might seem very playable to most of us here, but CoD is like.. bare bones shooter. The type that would appeal to your average casual gamer who doesn't download demos, read GAF or browse the internets.

The concept of taking cover might have turned off a lot of people, thinking that it's too complicated. I just want to point and shoot.

itxaka

Defeatist
RagnarokX said:
[G]http://i27.tinypic.com/35hkdx4.gif[/IMG]

:lol :lol :lol

and a big :lol to a lot of posters with the spin. Where is private hoffman? I want to read some of his "views" on the npd :lol

Pachael

Opiate said:
Thank you for the thorough drubbing on Guitar Hero, guys. That will teach me to make a mistake on NPD day!

Serious question, now that it's been brought up: has any third party Wii game other than Rock Band / Guitar Hero ever made the top 10 in America? Any non music games?

I believe Mario and Sonic has. Anything else?

Without going through my archives I believe one of the Lego games got into the Top 10. Those who have NPD databases could help me check. Or wikia.

*EDIT Some Wikia checking later, Lego Indiana Jones Wii was 8th in June 2008.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_June_2008

*EDIT2 Resident Evil 4 Wii was 9th in June 2007.
http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/NPD_June_2007

*EDIT3 Didn't Raving Rabbids and Red Steel do well at launch? :) I'm sure there are more but I can't be arsed anymore, and Wikia only goes back to Nov 06.

Of course, if I'm reading what I'm reading, the argument can be made for third parties on Wii. Two and a half titles (I consider Mario and Sonic to be at least half first-party due to Mario and friends appearing - a Sonic only game will never sell that well) that are not music games from third parties appearing in the Top 10 in the past two years. Phew, although I've sliced the pie so many times that the argument seems a bit watered down.

Kenka

Things are really wrong with the Wii : if the console was supply constrained, again, why in the world would Nintendo rather sell more during Black Friday ?

Do they.. do they seriously want to not go through the roof on purpose so they can be sure to post a growth for holidays 09 ??

GAF, help.

watership said:
It's a shooter that attracts a casual audience. I know lots of non gamers who are into Call of Duty and little else.

Lies. Casual gamers only play games on the Wii and DS. And the only type of 'non gamers' there are ones who play Wii Fit and Brain Age.

GAF told me it, it must be true.

:lol

Dang, I was 20k off on the 360, PS3 and PS2.... :/

DS and Wii are probably best left not mentioned :( (In fact I'm pretty sure I upped my prediction on the Wii by 200k units....durrrr)

zeloe326

Private Hoffman said:
2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

2007:

Wii 6.29 million
360 4.62 million
PS2 3.97 million
PS3 2.56 million
NDS 8.50 million
PSP 3.82 million

Notes:

Wii/DS sales monstrous. Wii in particular seeing tremendous growth.
PSP sales nearly identical YoY

That seems like they're doing well to me, unless I'm reading into this thread incorrectly.

So is the "wii owners don't buy games" argument dead? or are people going to still throw that one around with "wii is a fad, it'll die soon" and the "the wii only sells b/c of its price"

[Nintex]

So did Sony send Hideo Kojima a "thanks for the support and here's a billion dollar!" letter? If it wasn't for MGS4, the PS3 wouldn't have sold what it did. That's Sony's biggest fault this year, all the "Year of the PS3" bullcrap and they just couldn't keep their momentum. It started with the pricedrop effects, continued with the very succesfull MGS4 launch and the game had some legs and then Sony did.... nothing.

Private Hoffman said:
2008:

Wii 10.15 million (+61%)
360 4.73 million (+2.3%)
PS3 3.54 million (+38%)
PSP 3.83 million ( 0% )

Wow. That's weird. I guess that doesn't reflect at two-month YoY decline for the PS3, but we can now expect Sony to be touting this figure.

Wonder if the growth in PS3 sales and decline in PS2 sales actually ends up hurting, rather than helping, their bottom lines.

Also, MS must have made *way* more in SW sales in 2008 than in 2007, so I think they're still sitting in a good spot (compared to Sony, that is).

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Private Hoffman said:

Oh God too awesome.

Top Bottom