• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

909er

Snipes424 said:
I agree, Uncharted was my favorite game of 2007 and it came out of no where for me, the voice acting/animation were amazing and gameplay/graphichs top notch.

If anyone wants a good example of an under hyped game, I think Uncharted is one. In 2007, all I saw on the gaming websites was Halo 3, Halo 3, and you guessed it, Halo 3. Which is fine, but I believe that Uncharted deserved a lot more attention then it got.

PS3 numbers are not THAT pathetic though IMO. Some things to consider, the economy is bad, and the PS3 is at a premium price point. The 360 is HALF the price of the PS3, so if you think about it, say the PS3 was magically at $199 tomorrow, what would the sell figures look like then? Do you believe it would be equal to the 360 numbers? Or do you believe it would be up with the wii numbers or beyond? That is the real question.

The 360 isn't half the price of the PS3. There was a bit a little while back saying the average price a 360 was sold for a month was $270.

Also, if the PS3 is $200 tomorrow it would probably sell ridiculously well. Then again, if I was buff and looked like Brad Pitt, I'd probably also get laid a lot more. I don't think speculation on almost impossible what ifs really helps.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DreD said:
So No More Heroes passed the 200k mark. How does it compare to its first month sales?

I think it did like 65K first month.

Kuroyume

Banned
Uncharted got a lot of coverage back then. Halo 3 was about two months old around the time it came out. Uncharted had to compete with games like Assassin's Creed and COD4, but that's nothing new for games coming out around that period. LBP had the most coverage of any game last year and it didn't do anywhere near as well as something like Gears.

DreD said:
So No More Heroes passed the 200k mark. How does it compare to its first month sales?

And that's just in the US. I'm sure between Europe and the few Japan sales, it's at least passed 500K.
Which, is amazing for a Suda title, to say the least.

Cheebs

What is with PS3 owners and fighting games?

I thought the odd close sales of SFIV on PS3 and 360 was just a random occurrence but the same thing happened with MK, fighting games are much much closer on ps3 and 360 than multiplatform games as a whole.

Really weird.

Busaiku

Some of those numbers are really interesting.
TFU Wii might pass up the 360, given the legs its shown.

Shaun White may end up pretty high if it continues to sell. Though its sales through December were 470k, so only another 63k in January. If it can maintain that though, it could get a pretty big number overall. It's probably passed a million worldwide though.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
harSon said:
Are you fucking kidding me? Why in the hell am I not playing a localized version of Professor Layton 2? It's obviously not because there's a lack of a market considering the first sold 340k...

This.

I love you, Nintendo, but you're REALLY starting to piss me off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
AceBandage said:
And that's just in the US. I'm sure between Europe and the few Japan sales, it's at least passed 500K.
Which, is amazing for a Suda title, to say the least.

I'll be very surprised of No More Heroes sold ~300k in PAL regions. Most people I know who were really eager for the game just imported (for the blood), and as sad as it might seem I can see the ultra-violence being a considerable draw card, perhaps making the PAL version less attractive to average-joe.

If it really has passed 500k, colour me impressed, and congratulations Suda and Grasshopper. More than deserved.

On topic, these sales are quite surprising, if true. TFU Wii especially. Really shows there is a surprisingly large StarWars fanbase on the Wii. Sonic Unleashed really speaks big too.

Fingers crossed MadWorld performs well.

I dont really know much about sale data, except that vgchartzzz are full of shit and not worth referencing. Is there anywhere on the webs where World Wide game sales are accurately recordered?

EatChildren said:
I dont really know much about sale data, except that vgchartzzz are full of shit and not worth referencing. Is there anywhere on the webs where World Wide game sales are accurately recordered?

You're basically on it.

Alcibiades

Someone asked earlier about why Star Wars Lego was doing so well on Wii compared to Indiana Jones and Batman (other than being $20)... well as I said, Star Wars games have always been well-received on Nintendo consoles, dating back to the SNES.

It seems like LucasArts has really blown their opportunities on Wii by not putting some serious resources into quality Star Wars titles on Wii. Clone Wars was universally panned (they should have delayed to give it more time and incorporate Motion+) and Force Unleashed, as good as it may have been, started development much later and with no doubt a smaller budget and team than the PS3/360 lead versions.

I'm sure they are happy with sales as is, but with a proper Star Wars AAA entry on Wii they could really clean up shop.

jvm

Gamasutra.
If the Uncharted figure is correct, then its LTD hasn't changed since mid-2008, at least according to data I've seen. Other than the games I've received data for (Patapon and EBA last month), I have no way of knowing if this are correct.

Can the Kingdom Hearts PS2 game's Dec + Jan figure be confirmed independently? Just curious.

markatisu

jvm said:
If the Uncharted figure is correct, then its LTD hasn't changed since mid-2008, at least according to data I've seen. Other than the games I've received data for (Patapon and EBA last month), I have no way of knowing if this are correct.

Can the Kingdom Hearts PS2 game's Dec + Jan figure be confirmed independently? Just curious.

I know Uncharted was pulled from some retail stores in order to push it in the 160gb bundle that was being pushed by Sony. Yesterday our local Target and Walmart did not have a space on the shelf for it, and neither did Nebraska Furniture Mart (one of the largest electronics stores in the MidWest)

That could be responsible for a sales slowdown if those numbers do not contain bundles/special editions unless specifically noted as in the case of Halo 3 (which they probably dont since I think MGS4 would be much higher)

Alcibiades said:
Someone asked earlier about why Star Wars Lego was doing so well on Wii compared to Indiana Jones and Batman (other than being $20)... well as I said, Star Wars games have always been well-received on Nintendo consoles, dating back to the SNES.

It seems like LucasArts has really blown their opportunities on Wii by not putting some serious resources into quality Star Wars titles on Wii. Clone Wars was universally panned (they should have delayed to give it more time and incorporate Motion+) and Force Unleashed, as good as it may have been, started development much later and with no doubt a smaller budget and team than the PS3/360 lead versions.

I'm sure they are happy with sales as is, but with a proper Star Wars AAA entry on Wii they could really clean up shop.

I'm not saying it's a good game but my nephew LOVES the lightsaber duel game. It's responsible for his whole family getting into StarWars.

Of course he's 5 :lol

jett said:
It's in their greatest hits line or whatever now...

Americans, you people suck.

Seriously its true. I think PS3 owners in America are mainly what suck "omg a good game on ps3!?" Eh Ill buy the blu ray of Die Hard 4 instead.

Where is the link for the Uncharted sales?

womfalcs3 said:
Europe saved Uncharted. I remember reading in a PAL thread months ago that it had sold 700,000 copies there.

When it comes to actually selling good games PS3 fans in Europe are far superior.

markatisu

lowlylowlycook said:
I'm not saying it's a good game but my nephew LOVES the lightsaber duel game. It's responsible for his whole family getting into StarWars.

Clone Wars Wii is fine, it was panned because it takes a while to get used to the motions and because they only included a handful of characters. The presentation on the Wii version got the highest marks, if it had Motion + and 5-10 more characters I think it would have been reviewed much better

Surprisingly the DS game got very high marks and had much more thought and money put into it with all the voice overs and story

Alcibiades

lowlylowlycook said:

Actually, I got the impression it would be mindless fun for a bit, but not for long peroids if it didn't have a lot of accuray/depth to it. If it ever hits $10 (I'm sure it will someday) I plan to get it.

There is probably a lot of Star Wars and Nintendo fanboy crossover (heck I'm certainly one - my website's domain name is nintendojedi.com and I had a Padawan cut at one point) just waiting to be served if LucasArts were to begin investing some serious resources into the Wii.

Raw64life

Finally some supplementary numbers. Haven't even bothered posting thread recaps late in NPD threads the last couple of months because we haven't gotten any numbers worth mentioning other than the OP. There is a chance they can be fake but the few numbers we got beforehand seem to match the list so I'll take it. Definitely an odd choice of Wii game listing. JRPG numbers are pretty bad across the board. Why ToV is still 360 exclusive is beyond me.

Cipherr

lowrider007 said:
Only ?, I don't think that's to bad for a new IP tbh, if it's done 500,00 [/I]

Only? After all the lol Uncharted is 'uncharted' in this months NPD stuff back closer to the games release, it managing to sell 500k since release is actually pretty great IMO.

Jocchan said:
If these numbers are indeed legit, they seem to validate another source of NPD LTDs I stumbled upon some time ago on the Interwebs (the numbers seem to match).
I'll try to post the missing figures later (I can't now), the only one I remember that wasn't already posted was Quantum of Solace Wii outselling all the other SKUs.

What? Is the QoS Wii game the one with the carpet water? I cant remember. If so that is completely ridiculous.

Htown said:
With only one exception, multiplatform games on the list that had versions on all current-gen systems sold better on Wii than on PS3.

The only exception is Rock Band 2, which was released two months after the PS3 version and was still within 30k.

In 7 out of 10 instances on the list, the Wii version outsold the 360 version as well.

In 6 of those instances, the Wii version sold more than (or was tied with) the 360 and PS3 versions COMBINED.

I think the lesson we can take from this is that the Wii sells no games, and it's not worth making a Wii version of your multiplatform title.

I would be lieing if I said I wasnt shocked. We have known for a while now that Wii started selling more 3rd party software month to month than even the 360. Seeing this leak just shows us a LITTLE bit of what the hell has been selling.

Horsez, Ninjabread Man etc nowhere to be found. Imagine (lol) that.

knitoe

Cheebs said:
What is with PS3 owners and fighting games?

I thought the odd close sales of SFIV on PS3 and 360 was just a random occurrence but the same thing happened with MK, fighting games are much much closer on ps3 and 360 than multiplatform games as a whole.

Really weird.

PS3 dpad > X360 dpad. Very important in fighting games.

Although, if you ask me, both dpad sux, and if you are serious about fighting games, get real dpad or fighting stick.

knitoe said:
PS3 dpad > X360 dpad. Very important in fighting games.

Although, if you ask me, both dpad sux, and if you are serious about fighting games, get real dpad or fighting stick.

I don't think this alone is enough to explain why the PS3 version sold so well, there simply aren't enough multi-platform owners for this to be the main cause. I think it has to be caused by demographics, perhaps more fighting game fans are PS3 owners.

pakkit

Banned
I think it's more that Japanese culture is more heavily tied in with the PS line, and, as such, the arcade-type games have a better chance on its console. We'll see when FF comes on consoles, I guess.

vesp

Did Tales of Vesperia really only sell 107k? I was under the impression that it did fairly ok?

All of those jrpg numbers are really sad. It's funny that they all are about 100k, I wonder if the same 100-200k rpg fans are simply buying nearly every one.

What is going on with the JRPG genre? Didn't it do really well last gen? I thought maybe the fans had migrated to DS like in Japan but those DS RPG numbers are horrible too. SE's got to big taking a big hit from this.

Johann

DemonSwordsman said:
How can Motorstorm 1 have only sold that much? It was the best selling PS3 game until MGS4 and GTA4 came out.

It was the 'go to' PS3 game if you weren't interested in Resistance.

SuperBonk

DemonSwordsman said:
How can Motorstorm 1 have only sold that much? It was the best selling PS3 game until MGS4 and GTA4 came out.
I think the game was much more popular in Europe.

And yeah, I think Resistance 1 sold more anyway.

MoogPaul

markatisu said:
I know Uncharted was pulled from some retail stores in order to push it in the 160gb bundle that was being pushed by Sony. Yesterday our local Target and Walmart did not have a space on the shelf for it, and neither did Nebraska Furniture Mart (one of the largest electronics stores in the MidWest)

That could be responsible for a sales slowdown if those numbers do not contain bundles/special editions unless specifically noted as in the case of Halo 3 (which they probably dont since I think MGS4 would be much higher)

I can't find a new copy of Uncharted in any stores around me. But then again, I'm also not too big into spending 65 dollars on a two year old game either. A greatest hits version will be around for Uncharted 2, that is, it should be, if only Sony could manage to pull it's head out of it's ass.

vesp said:
Did Tales of Vesperia really only sell 107k? I was under the impression that it did fairly ok?

All of those jrpg numbers are really sad. It's funny that they all are about 100k, I wonder if the same 100-200k rpg fans are simply buying nearly every one.

would that surprise you? As a JRPG fan, you are lucky to get 1 JRPG per quarter on the HD machines.

I don't understand why more developers aren't porting from Wii to PS2 I mean you'd probably at least double your sales right there.

Maybe the cost of reworking the controls is too high?

Man all those JRPG numbers are pathetic.

Hell FF-X2 outsold FFXII. Still trying to wrap my head around that one(and this is coming from someone who hated XII and loved X2).

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Hcoregamer00 said:
You conveniently forgot one

Considering budget size, I say that these are pretty big hits.

Financially yes, but considering the install base I'm surprised they didn't sell alot more tbh.

Abot the Jrpgs, is it really that hard to port from the360 to the PS3?? I mean man are these numbers too low.

Even the DS ones aren't that better too, the genre isn't that hot anymore :(

Zen

Banned
truly101 said:
Remember that MS was a fairly hyped title at the time of the PS3 launch so when it hit, lots of people bought into the hyped. Its a decent game but didn't live up to the hype. As a result, MS2 was met with skepticism by a lot of gamers when it was released (I would have never bought it if not for all the positive word of mouth) and I don't remember Sony giving MS2 a big push. Its like coming out in between LBP and R2, MS2 was sent to die.

For me the driving and track elements in MS2 were absolute shit, in the demo anyway. They decided to smooth out the surfaces to make them practically landing strips, dumbed down the physics and terrain differences, and turned the driving into a pure bar of soap on wheels with a jet engine on the back. It's like you were skiing, or something. They took everything I liked about MSI and dumbed it down, and instilled more Burnout into it.

No thanks.

dolemite

DemonSwordsman said:
Motorstorm 1 numbers are much higher in the US if you include all the 80GB bundles that contained it. NPD doesn't count these in the total. The same applies for Uncharted, MGS4, Kung Fu Panda 360, Lego Indi 360, RE5 360, and Wii Sports.

knitoe

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Man all those JRPG numbers are pathetic.
Only realistic style JRPG are going to sale well, IE Lost Odyssey. And, with increase in popular of western RPG, releasing a anime style RPG will be stupid move.

interesting how well Lost Odyssey sold (relative to other JRPG's anyway) - 348k

Also interesting to see Heavenly Sword numbers that look decent all things considered - 316 since it was considered a resounding failure buy it's makers it must have cost a fortune to make.

This:

Ninja Gaiden II - 517k
Ninja Gaiden Sigma - 316k

Is also interesting... wouldn't think a third time rehash would sell more (relative to install size) then a direct sequel. Itegaki must be vomiting somewhere (from alcohol poisoning not NPD).

And also surprised but THIS:
Rachet & Clank: Tools of Destruction - 427k
I thought this game was a bomba? I guess it kept selling decently over time?

Also where the hell are two human (sales are also impressive considering these other RPG numbers) and the resistance game numbers?

Spiegel

Crisis Core is having some pretty nice legs for a jrpg. It has doubled its first month of sales (300k first month - 700k+ LTD) and it's still selling (~20k at least in January)

Top Bottom