• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
timetokill said:
The Wii is WIDE OPEN for a good, high-budget JRPG. Wiiiiiide open. And not trash like the FFCC nonsense, which they've already shown to not fall for.

Maybe a JRPG with a cast of characters that would be recognizable to a wide American audience....

Too late in the game

Eteric Rice

HK-47 said:
Too late in the game

Not in Japan, in the US maybe. RPGs haven't found a suitable console in Japan yet.

Well, aside from the DS of course.

Tales of Ten might be our first real idea of what it can do, maybe.

MotherFan

Hcoregamer00 said:
Quoted for so much damn truth.

Remember that even in the "golden days" of JRPG's, games were bombing left and right. Why do you think Parasite Eve moved from JRPG to action game? Why do you think we haven't got any "Chrono" games since Chrono Cross?

So true, I was happy to find out that Vesperia and Valkyria, two of my favorite games released so far this gen had no price collapse and are being harder and harder to find.

How is it good that the high quality RPGs are hard to find? Does this not mean less people will play them and get into the genre?

Johann

Hcoregamer00 said:
I believe you because the proof is in the pudding, I can't argue back.

With that said, I THOUGHT it was because of sales that they changed Parasite Eve from an RPG to an action game, but apparently I am wrong. Now I am scratching my head because they changed the formula and a legion of fans were irritated (such as myself).

I missed my crazy maxed out guns in PE1.

Square wanted to cash in on the survival horror fad that was going around the time.

They even got a guy who worked on Resident Evil to work on the game as the lead designer. I thought it was very stupid for them to radically change what was a hit franchise into a more 'me-to' survival horror game.

Johann

BishopLamont said:
Nintendo and SE has alot of work if they want to make DQ popular in the west. Does anyone have DQ7 or 8 numbers?

Magicbox via RPGFan has DQVII at 200,000 units in the US. Take it as you will.

A press release for DQ8 said 430,000 shipped to the US by December 2005. It launched at 84,000 in the November 2005 NPD.

Maybe it won't be "KH3" but I can't fathom the execs at Square-Enix wanting to pass on the BUCKETS of cash they would make putting a Kingdom Hearts game on Wii. If it was KH3 it would be even more massive.

Think Disney might appeal to the expanded audience? I have a feeling it might.

Linkup

Johann said:
Magicbox via RPGFan has DQVII at 200,000 units in the US. Take it as you will.

A press release for DQ8 said 430,000 shipped to the US by December 2005. It launched at 84,000 in the November 2005 NPD.

Magicbox uses chartzzz

d+pad

timetokill said:
Maybe it won't be "KH3" but I can't fathom the execs at Square-Enix wanting to pass on the BUCKETS of cash they would make putting a Kingdom Hearts game on Wii. If it was KH3 it would be even more massive.

Think Disney might appeal to the expanded audience? I have a feeling it might.

This. Both SE and Disney are all about where the money's at, and as such I'd be amazed if some kind of KH game isn't announced for the Wii this year. Not doing so would be extremely stupid on their part.

Of course, I think it's stupid that Nintendo has thus far decided against making an actual Wii Sports sequel (NOT Resort) or 2D Mario for Wii, so it's entirely possible/probable that SE and Disney will follow the same path...

lowrider007 said:
Only ?, I don't think that's to bad for a new IP tbh, if it's done 500,00 in NA then I bet it's done at least that in the EU as well so there's your million.

Edit - Wiki : "The game went on to sell more than one million copies in ten weeks, and become part of the European best-selling Platinum Range of titles"
From what I remember in 2007, the majority of Uncharted's sales came from Europe, so I definitely expect it to be over 1 million.

SCEA just doesn't drop first party game prices (unless the retailer chooses to). The only time they've dropped the price universally is when they release a game as a GH. I see the price of Uncharted dropping to GH, but not until August (SCEA tends to release new GH they publish in July/August).

Lightning

Banned
Isn't Uncharted GH in Europe though? It's not bundled here where I live but you can buy it cheap.

I can also recall Naughty Dog reporting that it was selling a lot better in Europe than it was in the US.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My only hope is that Raiden Fighters Aces if and when it ever releases breaks 20k.
I would be flat-out amazed if that happened.

Looking at those Wii sales of Shikigami 3 and Ultimate Shooting Collection (first week only in that case, but still), yeah, I wouldn't exactly bet much on that. :(

Maybe sales of these games would be slightly better on 360 than Wii (because they are a hardcore genre), but I'd need to see some 360 shmup sales numbers to know. But I think it's just an unpopular genre here, sadly.

I mean, how well did Raiden 3 sell on PS2? Not too well I'd bet.

Busaiku

A Black Falcon said:
Looking at those Wii sales of Shikigami 3 and Ultimate Shooting Collection (first week only in that case, but still), yeah, I wouldn't exactly bet much on that. :(

Maybe sales of these games would be slightly better on 360 than Wii (because they are a hardcore genre), but I'd need to see some 360 shmup sales numbers to know. But I think it's just an unpopular genre here, sadly.
Going by the sales of shmups in Japan, it doesn't seem that bad.

Shikigami 3 is probably close to 3k on 360.
Raiden IV didn't do much more than 6.2k and Aces 4.9k.

Ikaruga couldn't have done more than about 7k on the GC.

There are some that did a lot more, and/or maybe some titles I don't know of that did better, but for the most part, it doesn't seem too bad compared to Japan.

Lightning

Banned
The only way I see KH3 appearing this gen is either a new development takes the game or Versus XIII is cancelled. Other than that, I really can't see it.

Eteric Rice

Lightning said:
The only way I see KH3 appearing this gen is either a new development takes the game or Versus XIII is cancelled. Other than that, I really can't see it.

Unless this gen lasts a long time.

I suspect Nintendo will refuse to change consoles anytime soon, when they can simply upgrade and change the Wii.

A Black Falcon said:

I mean, how well did Raiden 3 sell on PS2? Not too well I'd bet.

20k is perfectly reasonable I think. The reviews should be good(aside from complaints about lack of online co-op) and the hardcore market will be all over it.

Hell I actually think Shikigami 3 would have performed better on the 360 than the Wii(it certainly did over in Japan). I guess it was cheaper for Aksys to localize just the Wii version though. =/

PepsimanVsJoe said:
My only hope is that Raiden Fighters Aces if and when it ever releases breaks 20k.
I would be flat-out amazed if that happened.
There's some hope: It's total budget territory ($30 in Canada), and it's Valcon who's publishing it, which means it's going to be dumped straight to the bargain bin in WalMarts, which, for a game like this, might be a blessing in disguise.

Eteric Rice said:

I suspect Nintendo will refuse to change consoles anytime soon, when they can simply upgrade and change the Wii.

Haven't you heard? This gen lasts for a decade. :joke:

I don't think SE will pass up the opportunity to make KH3. Possible that XIII Versus is nearly finished
(for 2010)

Lightning

Banned
Eteric Rice said:

I can't see Microsoft or especially Sony holding out that long personally. I suspect Sony/Microsoft will be releasing new consoles 2011/2012 but time will tell I guess.

Also, all 3 systems could make claim that KH3 should be on their platform. KH3 has every chance to be multiplatform. It wouldn't surprise me but Square's release schedule is such shit that it matters not anyway.

Eteric Rice

Lightning said:
I can't see Microsoft or especially Sony holding out that long personally. I suspect Sony/Microsoft will be releasing new consoles 2011/2012 but time will tell I guess.

Also, all 3 systems could make claim that KH3 should be on their platform. KH3 has every chance to be multiplatform. It wouldn't surprise me but Square's release schedule is such shit that it matters not anyway.

I don't really know if it'll matter that much what MS and Sony do. I could see them stretching the Wii out for a looong time, just having it evolve as it goes.

At least until new technology is pretty much mandatory.

Lightning

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I don't really know if it'll matter that much what MS and Sony do. I could see them stretching the Wii out for a looong time, just having it evolve as it goes.

At least until new technology is pretty much mandatory.
Well I disagree. I really can't see Square devoting such resources, money and manpower into Crystal Tools and getting the Kitase/Nomura teams fully versed in the PS3/360 tech just to make 1 game each. That really wouldn't make much sense, no way would that justify the creation of Crystal Tools so it is highly possible that if FFXIII/Versus XIII are successful that Nintendo fans hope for KH3 Wii exclusive are just not going to happen.

AniHawk

Lightning said:
Well I disagree. I really can't see Square devoting such resources, money and manpower into Crystal Tools and getting the Kitase/Nomura teams fully versed in the PS3/360 tech just to make 1 game each. That really wouldn't make much sense, no way would that justify the creation of Crystal Tools so it is highly possible that if FFXIII/Versus XIII are successful that Nintendo fans hope for KH3 Wii exclusive are just not going to happen.

Why not just modify what they had for the PS2?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Lightning said:

Crystal Tools are Wii-compatible.

Lightning

Banned
AniHawk said:
Why not just modify what they had for the PS2?
They could do that. I really can't see Nomura being at all happy with that. I can see a big spin off without the main team if it comes to that.

Firestorm

Eteric Rice said:
Two or three name brand ones would be good enough to put a RPG fanbase on the Wii. Or at least turn attention to it.
Um, if the RPG fanbase isn't there already, what would put it on there? Star Ocean and Tales are high profile as far as RPGs go. Not high profile games, but for RPG fans I'd say they are. 360 still doesn't have a significant fanbase.

Unless you mean "Nomura games" or "Final Fantasy + Kingdom Hearts".

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Sadist said:
ToV: 107k
ToS DotNW: 106k

You tell me.
Ahahahaha, and there were so many people who mocked me for suggesting that DotNW and Vesperia were close in sales and that there was a possibility that Vesperia had sold a little more so far.

For reference this means Vesperia is the 2nd best selling Tales of game in the US while DotNW is the 3rd. Pretty good for the franchise if you ask me :D

MotherFan

Lightning said:
They could do that. I really can't see Nomura being at all happy with that. I can see a big spin off without the main team if it comes to that.

Too bad for him? What's the team going to do, refuse? Anyway, I think DQ X going to the wii is going to be a factor in where KH goes. DQ is always bigger than FF in Japan and with it on the wii alot of the fans will have one (especially since the wii install base there is much bigger than the HD systems combined.) There really is no reason to put it on the HD systems except pride, especially since Crystal Tools works on wii.

Top Bottom