• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vinci said:
Which is why I no longer believe in tests. The wife and I have a child, I'm telling the kid, "Teachers and tests are full of shit. I took a test once ... "

Gazes sadly over at RE4 Wii Edition and RE:UC cases.

"Well, twice."
Don't be so sad, we got Dead Rising for that. Capcom worked hard on this game, you know!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Opiate said:
This is news to me. The Smash Brothers guy is a Nintendo employee again? He had left the company, yes?

I think you mean the man who created Kirby

And yes he left cause Nintendo was crushing his creativity and they fucked up Air Ride

Zachack

Vinci said:
Which is why I no longer believe in tests. The wife and I have a child, I'm telling the kid, "Teachers and tests are full of shit. I took a test once ... "

Gazes sadly over at RE4 Wii Edition and RE:UC cases.

"Well, twice."
You failed the test by buying a half-assed rail shooter. So did about 1 million other people. Of course, if you were actually not in deep fanservice to Nintendo (like you claimed so many pages back) you'd realize how pitiful your whining looks. But there it is.

Tobor

Vinci said:
Of course that's assuming Rockstar would put any real effort into the thing and not simply tack on motion controls.

You haven't looked at any Chinatown Wars reviews, have you?

CW absolutely rocks on the DS, and I would love to see what Leeds can do on the Wii with that same art style and the Wiimote.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Tobor said:

CW absolutely rocks on the DS, and I would love to see what Leeds can do on the Wii with that same art style and the Wiimote.

Go back to your Iphone, ya cur.

*brandishes cutlass*

Scrubking

Tobor said:

Hell no. If they make a GTA Wii game it better be in realistic 3D and not some BS cartoon "style".

Fredescu

farnham said:
why are people saying bioshock wii is impossible when irrational is doing bioshock iphone..?
It would be "impossible" for Bioshock Wii to be as atmospheric as it is on PC/etc. That same atmosphere would be equally "impossible" on the iPhone. I can understand wanting a game like CoD on the Wii for the controls, but not Bioshock.

Scrubking said:
Hell no. If they make a GTA Wii game it better be in realistic 3D and not some BS cartoon "style".
What in the christ would be wrong with that?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Fredescu said:
It would be "impossible" for Bioshock Wii to be as atmospheric as it is on PC/etc. That same atmosphere would be equally "impossible" on the iPhone. I can understand wanting a game like CoD on the Wii for the controls, but not Bioshock.

What in the christ would be wrong with that?
If you are talking AI, maybe. But SS2 kicks the piss of out of Bioshock in atmosphere, same with the Thief series, and they look like blocky abortions nowadays.

Alcibiades

Fredescu said:
It would be "impossible" for Bioshock Wii to be as atmospheric as it is on PC/etc.
well, it's also impossible for Bioshock 360/PS3 to be as atmospheric as the PC versions... and in fact no doubt the same can be said about RE4 - the PS2 version isn't as atmospheric as the GCN version...

that said, this atmospheric debate doesn't really change the fact that as a faithful port (minus some loss in graphical fidelity) of Bioshock to Wii would be successful and in all likelihood outsell the PS3 version (as seems to be a pattern for most multiplatform games)

Narcosis said:
My point was that easy cop-out answers, especially in GAF's NPD threads, have constantly been pointed out as extremely flawed and based on misinformation, lack of information, or willful ignorance. Just like "Wii doesn't sell 3rd party games" or similar disproved memes, the idea that JRPGs can't sell well on the 360 because the userbase is all about brown and grey bald space marines shooting things is pretty broad and when it takes no account of the retail appeal of the specific titles in their own merits, then yeah, I think there's a problem.

For whatever it's worth, Lost Odyssey as far as I'm concerned does prove that 360 owners will buy a JRPG, and I do think there needs to be some mention of the quality of the other games possibly affecting sales. How many people skipped on IU or Last remnant because they heard about glitches or flawed design? If we accept the notion that the 360 audience is "hardcore", then it would be fair to say the userbase is generally pretty informed on new game releases right? If every review mentions buggy design and gives the games scores 2-4 points lower than other AAA blockbusters releasing in the same period, or if every internet discussion mentions it, then how well does that bode for appeal of your game? Word of mouth can be a very powerful tool either for or against you.

I'm not denying that the usual western style genres don't have an inherently higher appeal and success rate on the 360, but broad dismissals never seem to be grounded in much reality, and that's why I was saying LO disproves "JRPGs don't sell on 360" as a generic auto-response to sales of certain games.

I see. I'm not trying to say that "Japanese-centric = Shit sales" no matter what for the 360. But you do have to take into an account of who you are marketing to and how to get people to buy your product. Star Ocean IV and Infinite Undiscovery didn't fair too well because they were marketed as just "the next big JRPG" on console which isn't something that will fair too well with the majority of 360 owners. However Lost Odyessy was seen as "a legendary game" or "this generations Final Fantasy VI" from the word of mouth and hype it was getting. So people saw it much more as "an anime RPG" when thinking about it . If you'll sell a game straight forward to a userbase that doesn't care for it's style, appearance, or gameplay, then it's slim pickings. However if you market the game in a way that will appeal to the userbase you can sell pretty much anything.

Tobor

HK-47 said:
Go back to your Iphone, ya cur.

*brandishes cutlass*

Nah, I'll go ahead and defend all the things I like, not just some of them.

Scrubking said:

:lol You're so matoor.

Fredescu

HK-47 said:
If you are talking AI, maybe. But SS2 kicks the piss of out of Bioshock in atmosphere, same with the Thief series, and they look like blocky abortions nowadays.
"For it's time" sure, and it's probably still the better all around game. Bioshock has some amazing moments that would not be quite so amazing were it also a blocky abortion.

Alcibiades said:
that said, this atmospheric debate doesn't really change the fact that as a faithful port (minus some loss in graphical fidelity) of Bioshock to Wii would be successful and in all likelihood outsell the PS3 version (as seems to be a pattern for most multiplatform games)
I not arguing whether or not the game should be made. Having access to both and buying the Wii version would be a little silly for a game with fairly run of the mill gameplay but amazing atmosphere. I imagine a Wii port would cost more than a PS3 port though, so it would have to outsell it by a reasonable distance to be worthwhile. Perhaps it would, I don't know.

Alcibiades

Fredescu said:
I not arguing whether or not the game should be made. Having access to both and buying the Wii version would be a little silly for a game with fairly run of the mill gameplay but amazing atmosphere..
Expect there are lots of people that either don't have access to both, have outdated/incompatible hardware they don't want to bother getting to work, or have little interest in doing traditional gaming on their PC (not including Solitare, Tetris, etc...).

Wii traditional games have been doing so well, especially in comparison to PS3, it's really shouldn't matter how "silly" it is that people chose COD3, Guitar Hero, Force Unleashed, etc... on Wii instead of the other versions.

Then again, considering the travesty that was said on game trailers last week, I wouldn't be surprised if executives at EA, Capcom, and Rockstar were thinking "gee, look at how silly those people choosing Wii versions of multiplatform games are - those idiots sure are stupid for buying "core" games instead of minigames, pet games, and Gingerbread man... we'll fix this problem for them by not giving them RE5, GTA4, and Dead Space... sure we could make a fortune releasing those on Wii, but we're doing them a favor so they don't look silly"

Fredescu

Alcibiades said:
Expect there are lots of people that either don't have access to both, have outdated/incompatible hardware they don't want to bother getting to work, or have little interest in doing traditional gaming on their PC (not including Solitare, Tetris, etc...).

Wii traditional games have been doing so well, especially in comparison to PS3, it's really shouldn't matter how "silly" it is that people chose COD3, Guitar Hero, Force Unleashed, etc... on Wii instead of the other versions.
I'm not sure if you think you're disagreeing with me, but you're not. I'm not trying to claim that people that only own a Wii don't exist. I don't think there is anything silly about choosing the games you listed on Wii either.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Agreed with the above. After CW I have a decent amount of faith that Rockstar wouldn't just make a downgraded version of the HD game for the Wii.

xbhaskarx

Yaceka said:
Holy shit my ears are bleeding... :lol

MWS Natural said:
35aoc3m.jpg
It was never in my queue to begin with, but that video was so bad I actually checked to make sure.

onipex

Arde5643 said:
I don't know man - a cel shaded GTA (a la NMH) will be cool as hell.

Yes, I would like this better than a realistic GTA. I would take Godfather 2 over any GTA Wii game though. That is only because I played the Godfather on the Wii and really liked the game. EA is really dropping the ball on that one.

I think most of the people that played Prime 3 would give Bioshock and Dead Space Wii a try.

Vinci

Danish
Zachack said:
You failed the test by buying a half-assed rail shooter. So did about 1 million other people. Of course, if you were actually not in deep fanservice to Nintendo (like you claimed so many pages back) you'd realize how pitiful your whining looks. But there it is.

I was making a joke, you twit. My grievances with getting or not getting games for the Wii pretty much went belly-up the moment I let go of any aspirations for the thing beyond having something fun to play with my wife. Which, I might add, is something it does rather well at providing.

Examining the behavior of companies does not make someone a Nintendo fanatic. [See Link as an example]

Having Chinatown Wars be a test is baffling for a number of reasons. Like already mentioned, making a test for Wii gamers by releasing a DS game makes no sense. Bully and Manhunt would make more sense as tests and, near as I can tell, they didn't do so well. Second, assuming CW sells well (it should) and the test is passed, how long would it take to release a complete, new GTA game on the Wii?

Optimistically, let's say they get it done in a year. 2010 is a little late to spur on any western developers to develop for the Wii. They'd already be hearing about, if not working on, next-gen games.

Zachack

Alcibiades said:
Why do you keep using sales on the PS3 as a metric for Wii development? Do you understand the concept that "better than" doesn't equal "good"?

ShockingAlberto said:
Having Chinatown Wars be a test is baffling for a number of reasons. Like already mentioned, making a test for Wii gamers by releasing a DS game makes no sense. Bully and Manhunt would make more sense as tests and, near as I can tell, they didn't do so well. Second, assuming CW sells well (it should) and the test is passed, how long would it take to release a complete, new GTA game on the Wii?

Optimistically, let's say they get it done in a year. 2010 is a little late to spur on any western developers to develop for the Wii. They'd already be hearing about, if not working on, next-gen games.

what i think is more likely is a wii gta is already in development, and they'll look at ctw's sales to see how much more effort to put into it

Zachack

frankie_baby said:
what i think is more likely is a wii gta is already in development, and they'll look at ctw's sales to see how much more effort to put into it
I'd be willing to bet they're already working on porting over the GTA3 engine and deciding whether to make new content or just port over one of the existing 5 games. I'd guess that, at best, the Wii will get San Andreas Stories. Worst would be ports of LCS/VCS. Middle would be porting of the original trilogy.

Zachack said:
I'd be willing to bet they're already working on porting over the GTA3 engine and deciding whether to make new content or just port over one of the existing 5 games. I'd guess that, at best, the Wii will get San Andreas Stories. Worst would be ports of LCS/VCS. Middle would be porting of the original trilogy.
How about a new revision of the engine - all the tweaks from GTA:SA built in. Release in doublepacks - GTAIII w/LCS, Vice City w/VCS, and then San Andreas w/SAS.

I wonder if the format of the data files used by the game changed much between revisions.

pakkit

Banned
Stop talking about Wii GTA like its already known about, before I cry.

The thing I disliked about GTA most was its adherence to violent gameplay despite its archaic aiming system, a problem that a Z-lock and free-aim IR controls would immediately alleviate.

Tobor

Zachack said:

Pre-Chinatown Wars, I would have agreed with you. But now, no way. R* pulled out all the stops and really nailed the strengths of the DS, and a unified art style on Nintendo hardware just makes too much sense.

pakkit

Banned
It looks cool. I think it'll break 300,000 at the very least (not first month, I mean in like 6 months). Also, the gameheadz article says that HoTD sold 50,000 in 2 months, which is bullshit. It sold 50,000 copies in 3 weeks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
pakkit said:
It looks cool. I think it'll break 300,000 at the very least (not first month, I mean in like 6 months). Also, the gameheadz article says that HoTD sold 50,000 in 2 months, which is bullshit. It sold 50,000 copies in 3 weeks.

i'm the lol zgzhartz lol guy in the comments section

Do we know the breakdown of the sales percentages of individual SKU's? I was wondering, in terms of simple revenue (Not getting complicated beyond that) the lower PS3 sales might still actually bring more money into Sony than the 360's higher sales make for MS. Not going into production costs and profit percentages etc, just purely money coming in.

If 100% of PS3's sold were the standard $399 SKU, then thats what... 110.12 mil in revenue?

I have no idea what the breakdown for 360 SKU's are, but going by 50% Arcade, 40% pro, 10% elite, that works out too;

199 x (391x0.5)= 38.8 million
299 x (391x0.4)= 46.9 million
399 x (391x0.1)= 15.5 million
Total= 101.2 million.

So its possible, (in this simplified bestish case scenario) for the PS3 at the higher price and lower sales, to actually generate more pure revenue than the high sales low price of the 360 SKUs.

Obviously this doesnt mean Sonys making more money off the PS3, but still something to think about.

Scrubking

Tobor said:
and a unified art style on Nintendo hardware just makes too much sense.

You really want a GTA Wii to fail and the Wii to continue to be seen as a joke don't you?

Any GTA Wii game that doesn't look like previous GTA's won't be taken seriously and even mocked by everyone. "lololololo Wii gets teh kiddie GTA. Wii gets cartoon GTA lololololo"

Even if the game is successful, which is doubtful because people aren't going to see a real GTA game, it just means another flood of me-too cartoon stylized games from the people who spammed mini-games and are now spamming rail-shooters. No thank you. I want a "real" game to finally succeed on the Wii - a game that doesn't have gimmicks, core gameplay changes or special Wii only style.

I don't think the PS2 has even sold that much.

Sounds like the guy who wrote that article is more concerned about the Wii getting his precious core games than he is about MadWorld actually selling well.

Anyway I expect MadWorld to sell a decent amount overtime. 300-500k in America I think is a pretty good ballpark. Overkill will do a little less than that, but Conduit will be the big seller of the three.

onipex

Flying_Phoenix said:
Whether it's chartz or not, I mean really who expects Madworld to sell that well?

Everything about it just screams "NICHE!".

Madworld will sell 500k. I'm calling it. TV ads, good review scores and word of mouth will push it that far.

Vinnk

That "truegameheadz" post was hard to read. So much hate. So few actual numbers.

Actually.. zero verified numbers.

Their speculation may prove to be accurate but that is no excuse for claiming the numbers as fact.

Top Bottom