• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

brain_stew said:
Good. How in the hell can people defend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

Really now, if the game bombing means ridiculous shit like that is forever left out of games then we should all breath a sigh of relief.

Holy fuck. Are Capcom and Konami the only Japanese companies that know how to hire competent voice actors? Their stories are super cheesy and over the top but they don't make me want to stab myself in the head.

EDarkness

TheGrayGhost said:
I actually happen to like stylized visuals. Ghostbusters Wii looks far better than Ghostbusters 360/PS3, imho.

I see what Scrub is saying. I don't like the Ghostbusters style really and it really gives the Wii the impression of "kiddie". PS2 games didn't need to have a special "style" to look good. Why do Wii games?

pakkit

Banned
EDarkness said:
PS2 games didn't need to have a special "style" to look good. Why do Wii games?
Actually, most of them did. The best of PS2's games visually usually had great art-direction, and interesting style. The games that looked great and tried "photo-realism" were a lot rarer.

creamsugar

random new title:

STAR OCEAN 4 < 70,000
DEADLY CREATURES < 15,000
DEAD RISING: CHOP TILL YOU DROP < 15,000
LOCOROCO 2 < 25,000
PRINNY < 15,000
PUZZLE QUEST: GALACTRIX < 10,000
BLUE DRAGON PLUS < 5,000

sphinx

the piano man
creamsugar said:
random new title:

STAR OCEAN 4 < 70,000
LOCOROCO 2 < 25,000
PRINNY < 15,000
BLUE DRAGON PLUS < 5,000

what are these numbers? NPD LTDs?

EDarkness said:
I see what Scrub is saying. I don't like the Ghostbusters style really and it really gives the Wii the impression of "kiddie". PS2 games didn't need to have a special "style" to look good. Why do Wii games?

Yeah, I think the notion that developers have to style their visuals a certain way to be successful on Wii is ridiculous. However, I happen to like stylized visuals over realistic visuals. I think Ghostbusters Wii absolutely looks better than Ghostbusters 360/PS3.

EDarkness

pakkit said:
Actually, most of them did. The best of PS2's games visually usually had great art-direction, and interesting style. The games that looked great and tried "photo-realism" were a lot rarer.

Some had stylized visuals, though a lot of them didn't. Xbox and PS2 games tried for realism and it was okay back then. All of a sudden it's not? Doesn't make any sense to me.

EDarkness

Kandinsky said:
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

It's a game about bugs that people are scared of. Why would anyone think that game would sell that well? I was going to buy a copy, but my wife said I couldn't waste money on it because it's too creepy.

Eteric Rice

creamsugar said:
random new title:

STAR OCEAN 4 < 70,000
LOCOROCO 2 < 25,000
PRINNY < 15,000
BLUE DRAGON PLUS < 5,000

Jesus, it looks like everything is shitting the bed.

Well, at least Dead Rising bombed. *cheers*

Also, I bought Deadly Creatures. Sorry THQ, I guess it didn't appeal to people.
I
If they're lucky it'll have legs over time.

Tobor

EDarkness said:
Some had stylized visuals, though a lot of them didn't. Xbox and PS2 games tried for realism and it was okay back then. All of a sudden it's not? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Well, GTA did have a stylized look last gen, by necessity. Going for the Chinatown Wars look makes sense on the Wii. It sets the game apart from the last gen games and still be interesting visually.

I'm not saying every game should go this route, just that it would work well for GTA.

EDIT: The Deadly Creatures numbers. That really sucks.

Chumly

creamsugar said:
random new title:

STAR OCEAN 4 < 70,000
LOCOROCO 2 < 25,000
PRINNY < 15,000
BLUE DRAGON PLUS < 5,000
God dam we got the fucking motherload this NPD for data.

Nothing to celebrate about any of these except for Dead Rising.

JadedOne

Eteric Rice said:
Also, I bought Deadly Creatures. Sorry THQ, I guess it didn't appeal to people.
If they're lucky it'll have legs over time.

I guess the craptacular shovelware like boxart didnt help. Seriously...who at THQ thought that boxart was good?

Askia47 said:
SO4 didn't do THAT badly. But it is still underwhelming.

In a country that has 11m+ consoles in circulation + advertisement like whoa

Less than 70k is not THAT bad?

Just for reference, in a country with slightly less than 1m 360s in circulation, this same game did 130k.

Firestorm

Askia47 said:
SO4 didn't do THAT badly. But it is still underwhelming.
It's higher than Vesperia did in its first month.

Vesperia: 35k first month, 35k second month, 37k through next 4 months to make for 107k ltd.
SO4: Probably somewhere between 65k and 70k first month

Xellos

Deadly Creatures was destined to bomb. It was decided the moment Rainbow/THQ chose to make a game about a scorpion and a tarantula.

Rolf NB

Scrubking said:
Of course, we know how Capcom will interpret these numbers.
"Wii core gamers still refuse to understand the technical limitations of the hardware they own and are quickly shaping up to be the worst audience we ever had to deal with", most likely.

Seriously. What should they have done with Dead Rising that they didn't do? 200 simultaneous zombies on screen? On the Wii, really? Really?

Xellos

Kind of sad to see people cheering the failure of Dead Rising Wii. Is it because you tried the game and didn't like it, or because it represents yet another half-baked effort by a third party for Wii?

donny2112

bcn-ron said:
"Wii core gamers still refuse to understand the technical limitations of the hardware they own and are quickly shaping up to be the worst audience we ever had to deal with", most likely.

I can't be too mad at Dead Rising, as it's doing something that I want Capcom to continue with (reusing the RE4 engine and control style). However when the Wii is about the same or a little higher than the Xbox in graphical capability and Nintendo can put out gems like Super Mario Galaxy and Twilight Princess (a GameCube game) ... yeah.

Jaded Alyx said:
GAF cries in unison: Not make it.

GAF cries in fixed unison: Make it better.

I'm still hoping that they cut development time short in order to get the producer free to work on a real RE game for the Wii using the RE4 engine.

What's more funny is that any "fullscale" Wii project has to be half baked and cheap to make in order to justify not just making a game for all four systems.

Xellos

bcn-ron said:

Seriously. What should they have done with Dead Rising that they didn't do? 200 simultaneous zombies on screen? On the Wii, really? Really?

Even 50-75 zombies would have been a huge improvement; they only got around 25 at any one time in Chop 'til you Drop. There are other aspects that have nothing to do with Wii's hardware that they could have included if they had taken the time, such as: allowing Frank to drive a car through the park, allowing Frank to walk through the pond, allowing Frank to give survivors weapons (some of them use weapons already), or allowing Frank to carry wounded survivors, or including a camera mode.

Xellos

donny2112 said:
Wasn't that the max in the RE4, too?

Yeah, I think there's a video of 25 enemies in RE4 GC somewhere on youtube. DR does have a few scenes with 50 or so zombies, but these zombies have no AI (e.g. the tunnels, one of the sniper bonus missions).

Eteric Rice

bcn-ron said:

I'd buy that whole tech limitations thing if they hadn't done awesome stuff with a less powerful system last generation.

And no, probably not 200, around 100 is probably possible, though. I think Spartan: Total Warrior was able to pull that off.

Not to mention the ones in Spartan: TW supposedly had pretty good AI as well. Then again, details are fuzzy. That game is pretty old now.

Scrubking

bcn-ron said:

First of all, who are you quoting?

Secondly, the CTYD final product had nothing to do with the Wii's capabilities. I don't understand why this is such a hard thing for people to grasp. It's like when it comes to the Wii common sense and history go out the window.

Capcom should'nt have made this game. They could have spent the money on something better instead of trying to cram a game into an engine that wasn't designed for it - and all at a budget price with an outside developer.

Takuhi

Firestorm said:
It's higher than Vesperia did in its first month.

Vesperia: 35k first month, 35k second month, 37k through next 4 months to make for 107k ltd.
SO4: Probably somewhere between 65k and 70k first month

70K is actually pretty good! After what, 6 days on sale? I'm surprised 70K wouldn't make the top 20, but if it has a second month as good as the first (which Vesperia did, after launching at the end of the month like SO4 did), it could end up doing decent numbers.

nib95

Banned
Brain_stew said:
Good. How in the hell can people defend this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlN4E-1I80Q

Really now, if the game bombing means ridiculous shit like that is forever left out of games then we should all breath a sigh of relief.

Wow...I was actually still on the fence about buying this game. Dying for a good A JRPG, but after watching that, no thanks. I'm getting more and more disappointed with the JRPG's coming out on the new consoles this gen. Well, I guess my hopes still lie with FFXIII and Versus XIII.

AniHawk

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Holy fuck. Are Capcom and Konami the only Japanese companies that know how to hire competent voice actors? Their stories are super cheesy and over the top but they don't make me want to stab myself in the head.

Wow. I'm glad I stayed away from SO4. What an ugly, ugly looking game. The artstyle and the bloom and the shininess. Bleh.

BishopLamont said:
If Rockstar is willing to make a GTA for DS, I don't see why they wouldn't make one for the Wii.
It really must be some loooong-form joke.

GTA:
GBC
GBA
DS
DC
PS1
PS2
PS3
Xbox
X360

Not GTA:
Saturn
N64
GCN
Wii

duk

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Do we know the breakdown of the sales percentages of individual SKU's? I was wondering, in terms of simple revenue (Not getting complicated beyond that) the lower PS3 sales might still actually bring more money into Sony than the 360's higher sales make for MS. Not going into production costs and profit percentages etc, just purely money coming in.

If 100% of PS3's sold were the standard $399 SKU, then thats what... 110.12 mil in revenue?

I have no idea what the breakdown for 360 SKU's are, but going by 50% Arcade, 40% pro, 10% elite, that works out too;

199 x (391x0.5)= 38.8 million
299 x (391x0.4)= 46.9 million
399 x (391x0.1)= 15.5 million
Total= 101.2 million.

So its possible, (in this simplified bestish case scenario) for the PS3 at the higher price and lower sales, to actually generate more pure revenue than the high sales low price of the 360 SKUs.

Obviously this doesnt mean Sonys making more money off the PS3, but still something to think about.

pulling numbers out of your butt is fun!

JoshuaJSlone said:
It really must be some loooong-form joke.

GTA:
GBC
GBA
DS
DC
PS1
PS2
PS3
Xbox
X360

Not GTA:
Saturn
N64
GCN
Wii

N64 did have Body Harvest, though, which has many similarities to GTA...

Oh, and that Star Ocean 4 voice acting... woah. What happened there? That's unbelievably bad for a modern major title...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Black Falcon said:
N64 did have Body Harvest, though, which has many similarities to GTA...

Oh, and that Star Ocean 4 voice acting... woah. What happened there? That's unbelievably bad for a modern major title...

You havent even seen the worst of it. Some of the Private Actions are painful. Even if they were mute, the bizarre body language would cause you to gag.

There are multiple "girl-in-shower" scenes for example...

Also I'd like a new Body Harvest and SSSV

Yea, SO4 did too well. Easily too well. I realize that it's the highest budget release excepting the Mistwalker games, but c'mon. How are we going to show these companies our total revulsion to a product that should be appealing when the sales fall within a range of realisistic expectiations?

Top Bottom