• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Pooya

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I think it will do better than XII. XII came out on a system that was in the midst of getting replaced. I think XIII will do bigger numbers than XII because of that. It has a lot more hype and it's not on a lame duck system.
XIII has received the lowest review scores in the series, much lower than XII (90 vs 82 on metacritic), XII had a lot of hype back then too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mr. Miyato said:
If there aren't any ps3s on shelves this month then Sony have surely shot themselves in the foot. Final Fantasy XIII is definitely a game that would have people glance at the 360 if the PS3 is out of stock. Maybe God of War III can offset this effect though.
Bad time for PS3 to be in short supply. The hottest games of the year are releasing and people can't buy new consoles to play them on. Well, they can buy 360's to play them on.

Loudninja

miladesn said:
XIII has received the lowest review scores in the series, much lower than XII (90 vs 82 on metacritic), XII had a lot of hype back then too.
I really dont think that means anything.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Fenderputty said:
You just compared overall sales from two consoles of a game, to 5 days worth of sales on a single system.
Well, you could compare it to the 4m who bought MW2 on the 360 first month.

Doesn't really help HR's case.

Replicant

spwolf said:
that was a joke, right? Because no way anyone else would take risky expensive game like HR but Sony...

Oh, I'm grateful that Sony took risky experiment with it but I wish they do more non-shooter games like this. Hell, even adventure games like Uncharted would do (which essentially has some shooting inserted in it).

VALIS said:
Top selling PS3 games via Wikipedia...

Guns and/or cars in every single one of those.

Most of them are what I'd classify as adventure games and not pure shooters like MAG/SOCOM/KZ.

Fenderputty said:
You just compared overall sales from two consoles of a game, to 5 days worth of sales on a single system.
It was all relevant though. I'm saying that the market for FPS games right now is HUGE. Unmistakably huge. The market for Heavy Rain is miniscule in comparison. That's the point I was trying to make.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
OuterWorldVoice said:
rbcmj9.jpg

brilliant :lol

Alex

It was impossible to find a Wii last month. I'm no sales guy, but I'm not surprised. Friend had to wind up buying a used one... then they "delayed" MH3. How dare those fuckers not meet random release date projections from retailers.

jkanownik

Replicant said:
It's amazing how Sony doesn't get this at all though. They keep churning out those shooters.

Don't worry. Just Dance: Move Edition is coming soon enough. It will include exclusive Lady Gaga tracks that will help it outsell the 360 version.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Why does it make me sad and mad that Dante's Inferno beat Darksiders and Bayonetta combined?

Why is it bugging me when it shouldn't? :(

I don't really care about DI but I am disappointed that Bayonetta didn't get the sales it deserved (1 million +).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks like the next Nintendo really does need a new console before a new handheld.

Haunted

You know, it never occured to me to ask how many retail games are released in a given month on average.

Does anyone know how many were released in the US in February? and I don't mean the large ones which had a chance to crack the Top 10 (Bioshock 2, Sonic All Stars Racing, Aliens vs Predator etc.), I mean all of them.

Unidentified said:
Has Final Fantasy ever sold 1.5 million in its first month? I know God of War definitely hasn't (wouldn't be surprised if even it's U.S. LTD sales is only about that.)

God of War 2 only did 800k first month, 100k second month, and wasn't even in the top 20 after that (in a likely slow month.) The first God of War also did less than a million its first year.

Though it still better than Bad Company. But it's quite possible it's overall sales ended up being decent and Bad Company 2 will be more frontloaded.

Well, I was more talking about Pokemon and Final Fantasy than about God of War. I think Final Fantasy can do that between both platforms. I might be overestimating FF somewhat, but I just get the feeling that it's going to put up really huge numbers in March.

Either way, I don't think Bad Company 2 is cracking the Top 5 in March.

woodypop said:
Where are you seeing this? Am I watching the wrong channels? Reading the wrong magazines? Visiting the wrong Web sites? GAH!!!

(I can't remember seeing anything in the U.S.)

MTV reruns Buffy the Vampire Slayer every morning (Ashamed I am watching the channel, not the show.) Trust me, there are commercials for this game.

Zombie James said:
Impressive after just 4 days.

We'll see next month if that's the case. The whole front loaded thing is still a factor I feel for a niche game like this. It could very well fall like a rock next month. At least Uncharted 2 kept selling bit by bit due to word of mouth. I am worried for Heavy Rain .

ReBurn

Gold Member
jkanownik said:
Don't worry. Just Dance: Move Edition is coming soon enough. It will include exclusive Lady Gaga tracks that will help it outsell the 360 version.
Seriously? Exclusive Lady Gaga tracks? I'll take two!

Replicant

jkanownik said:

Uhm yeah, because asking for good non-shooter games essentially asking for shovelware galore.

smurfx said:

:lol :lol :lol

The fact that the PS3 is still being beaten comprehensively by the 360 is the bigger issue here, not the Wii losing out to the 360.

Haunted

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Why does it make me sad and mad that Dante's Inferno beat Darksiders and Bayonetta combined?

Why is it bugging me when it shouldn't? :(
Some place inside gamers who know that marketing dollars shouldn't win out over quality.

Goddamn market realities. :(

Ding

GreekWolf said:
360 sales are not only mind-boggling, but they also don't make a whole lot of sense.
I don't understand why everyone thinks the 360 sales are out of line. The 360 always (well, recently) seems to plod along pretty consistently, selling just a bit better, year over year. And indeed, the 360's numbers in Feb. are just slightly higher than they were in Feb 2009. (8% higher, I think someone said?)

360 is doing what it usually does, more or less. On the other hand, the PS3 is selling a ton more than it used to, but still a tiny bit less than the 360. The Wii is selling a ton less than it used to, but still a bit more than the PS3.

Sony should be thrilled that the sales bump they got when they dropped the price seems to be holding. Nintendo should be a little concerned that the falloff in sales they saw in 2009 (their unworldly holiday sales notwithstanding!) seem to be continuing into 2010.

The 360 sales are the most uninteresting thing about the NPDs this month. (IMO) They are pleasingly high, certainly, but that's not really "the main story" these numbers are telling.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, I was more talking about Pokemon and Final Fantasy than about God of War. I think Final Fantasy can do that between both platforms. I might be overestimating FF somewhat, but I just get the feeling that it's going to put up really huge numbers in March.

Either way, I don't think Bad Company 2 is cracking the Top 5 in March.
I feel you're underestimating their success here.

They're the best selling game in the history of the UK games industry released this early in the year: http://www.chart-track.co.uk/?i=806&s=1111

They reached 400% the peak simultaneous users of any previous Battlefield game, including the very popular Battlefield 2: http://www.videogamer.com/news/bad_company_2_traffic_400_higher_than_any_battlefield.html

And they're still undergoing a large number of server maintenances and additions to try and keep up with the demand: http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...1/ea-maintenance-now-with-added-hardware.aspx

JudgeN

DI had a pretty big advertising campaign, it doesn't surprise me at all to see it in the top 10. Still sales seem kind of low don't you think?

I for one, am glad to see Dante's Inferno do so well, as I really enjoyed the game. Nice to see Heavy Rain break in too. Go HD gaming!

_Alkaline_ said:
The fact that the PS3 is still being beaten comprehensively by the 360 is the bigger issue here, not the Wii losing out to the 360.

The fact that the PS3 is up year over year and month over month means it doesn't really matter.

nexen

I was way off.

Kudos to Heavy Rain, didn't think it would chart.
Didn't expect Dante's Inferno to chart either, even though I like the game.

Wow @ Bioshock 2.

jkanownik

Replicant said:
Uhm yeah, because asking for good non-shooter games essentially asking for shovelware galore.

Only the PS3 can handle the mature storytelling of Lady Gaga.

Mafro said:
I'd buy it as long as Telephone is in there,

Sorry. You only get Just Dance and LoveGame.

charsace said:
I wouldn't be surprised to see BF out sell FF and GOW3. BF as a series has been established this gen with previous releases in the series that were quality games.
This may sound selfish but I kind of want to see BF sell more than those games including Modern Warfare 2.

Why? So that I know my investment toward Bad Company 2 was worth it. More sales means a larger and active community that will last for a long time.

Games like God of War 3 and FFXIII will always be there but they're single player games. Bad Company 2's existence depends on its online community, so that's why I hope it has huge sales so I can play with confidence that my game won't fizzle away like other shooters that are vacant online.

thewesker said:
It was all relevant though. I'm saying that the market for FPS games right now is HUGE. Unmistakably huge. The market for Heavy Rain is miniscule in comparison. That's the point I was trying to make.

200k+ in 5 days is nothing to dismiss either. That's my point. One market is saturated. While the other might not have as large of a market, if no one else is doing it there's money to be made!

Blablurn said:
good numbers for ps3. i hope sony will take care about the shortages.

indeed

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier said:
"Overall hardware unit sales were down, but certain platforms enjoyed an increase over last year. Xbox 360 nabbed the top-spot among the three console systems for the first time since September 2007 when Halo 3 as released. PS3 enjoyed a 30% increase over last year, even while retail supply is reported to remain constrained."

The Wii was also supply constrained

(A) Media Create Sales (JAN+FEB)

Code:
         2009          2010

WII     319,866       526,995

PS3     232,001       382,666

360     110,867       36,435

Source:([URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354296"]Media Create 2009[/URL],[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389238"]Media Create 2010[/URL])

(B) NPD (JAN+FEB)

Code:
         2009          2010

WII     1,432,200     863,700

PS3     479,200       637,000

360     700,000       754,800

Source: ([URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352226"]JAN 2009[/URL],[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355837"]FEB 2009[/URL],[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=387389"]JAN 2010[/URL])

(A+B)

Code:
         2009          2010

WII     1,752,066     1,390,695

PS3     711,201       1,019,666

360     810,867       791,235

Looks like Nintendo and Sony underestimated the potential demand for their products.Wii/PS3 shortages are a missed opportunity.

Wii

Code:
Sales  (Three Months Ended December 31,2009)

-Eur/NA     9.0

-Japan      0.9

-Global     9.9

Source:Charttrack,GfK,NPD,Media Create

Shipments (Three Months Ended December 31,2009)

-Global 11.3

(%) 87.6%=( 9.9/11.3)

Source:Nintendo

PS3

Code:

-Eur/NA     5.0

-Japan      0.8

-Global     5.8

Source:Chart-Track,GfK,NPD,Media Create

-Global 6.5

(%) 89.2%=( 5.8/6.5)

Source:Sony

Code:

-Eur/NA     4.0

-Japan      0.07

-Global     4.07

Source:Chart-Track,GfK,NPD,Media Create

-Global 5.2

(%) 78.2%=(4.07/5.2)

Source:Microsoft

Source:Activision Q3 (7/15),Activision Q4 (10/16),Sony,Microsoft,Media Create Sales (Sep.28),Media Create Sales (Oct 5),Media Create Sales (Dec. 27)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Looks good. Looks better than most expected I think with Heavy Rain. Dante's Inferno sold okay. They put a lot of muscle behind it to sell 500k. That's worse than Dead Space's first month, right? Or marginally better?

kinggroin

Banned
jj984jj said:
Looks like the next Nintendo really does need a new console before a new handheld.

oo, OO! I've always wanted to do this!

jj984jj
Stupid Member
(Today, 04:59 PM)

edit: BEATEN!

And :lol @ the gif

Top Bottom