• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

El-Suave

Bioshock PS3 numbers should be interesting for EA should they debate bringing Mass Effect over (if that's legally possible). Same goes for Ubisoft and Splinter Cell.

Mafro

DiddyBop said:
you guys are crazy if you think battlefield 360 will outsell gow3 or both ff13s:lol quote me and save this if you like but bad company is NOT that popular. delusions of grandeur

It wouldn't surprise me at all if it does. BF:1943 was huge and broke sales records on Live. There will be a lot more people interested in BC2 after that.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
DiddyBop said:
you guys are crazy if you think battlefield 360 will outsell gow3 or both ff13s:lol quote me and save this if you like but bad company is NOT that popular. delusions of grandeur
Any game that gets to #5 on Live activity list in the first week is going to do well.

Both L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 came in at number 5 and are million sellers.

Bioshock 2 came in at 9 and ME2 at 6, those both did over 500k.

Whilst I know this is hardly scientific, but it does point to good numbers.

FrankT

gofreak said:
From a GDC article re PS3 supply:

So...umm...we'll see :|

I didn't know they are predicting that long out for shortages. Anyhow, April and May have the 360 heavy hitters and maybe even June as well. With no big SW for Sony during those months I'm surprised they don't have it together now.

Also 15% off overall for the month;

LOS ANGELES, March 11 (Reuters) - Sales of video game gear and software in the United States slid 15 percent in February in their second straight monthly decline, but should bounce back starting in March on the back of new releases according to industry tracker NPD.

Microsoft's (MSFT.O) Xbox 360 topped sales of home console platforms with 422,000 units moved last month -- the first time the software giant's console has led since September 2007, when its Halo 3 game was released. Take Two Interactive's (TTWO.O) newly-released Bioshock 2 shooter topped all game sales in February.

The Nintendo (7974.OS) DS was the top selling game platform overall, with 613,200 units moved.

Overall sales of hardware, software and accessories in the country came to a disappointing $1.26 billion (in February), though higher average prices in the month helped, said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

"Honestly, I had expected the industry to perform somewhat better this month. Nonetheless, strong new releases and Easter gift-buying bodes well for industry performance in March," Frazier said in a statement.

"Higher average retail prices on all categories except console hardware boosted dollar sales performance somewhat," she added. (Reporting by Edwin Chan; editing by Carol Bishopric)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN1123020020100312?type=marketsNews

user_nat said:
Any game that gets to #5 on Live activity list in the first week is going to do well.

Both L4D2 and Assassins Creed 2 came in at number 5 and are million sellers.

Yup. No idea how well it will do in the end, but it should do very well for the month.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I think Battlefield will be put up some pretty impressive numbers. Obviously people love online shooters and it's had a lot more hype and advertising than the first. This is only anecdotal but the midnight release at my gamestop was way busier than for most games.
I really like the game so I hope it surprises people with it's sales.

Pooya

As a Final Fantasy fan, I'm surprised seeing many people expecting FF13 to sell 1.5million in it's first month in NA alone, it will sell 700k-800k at best IMO, FF12 sold like 800k I think on PS2 and in November.

Kusagari

DiddyBop said:

:lol at you. Bad Company's demo stuck around on the live charts and the game debuted at #5 which is better than even L4D2 could do. I guarantee that Bad Company 360 sells more than GoW3 or either FF and that Bad Company combined beats FF combined.

Mr. Miyato

Neo Member
If there aren't any ps3s on shelves this month then Sony have surely shot themselves in the foot. Final Fantasy XIII is definitely a game that would have people glance at the 360 if the PS3 is out of stock. Maybe God of War III can offset this effect though.

WrikaWrek

Banned
miladesn said:
As a Final Fantasy fan, I'm surprised seeing many people expecting FF13 to sell 1.5million in it's first month in NA alone, it will sell 700k-800k at best IMO, FF12 sold like 800k I think on PS2 and in November.

Combined? It can easily do 1.5 million.

A million on the PS3 and 500 k on the 360. I can see it happening. Maybe not, shit!

Yopis

Tough pill to swallow for Mag to swallow.I bet socom 4 news will make alot of people who were on the fence for mag wait.I also think bfbc2 will have big numbers and I expected more from Mass Effect such a great game.

miladesn said:
But it's a whole new ball game and FFXII came out during PS2's twilight years and a month before the PS3 came out.

Nobody cared, sadly.

Square-Enix waited too long to release FFXIII but at least they still have five-six more years of PS3's life left. FFXII came out when the PS2 was sent to its nursery home.

I think FFXIII will sell more.

Nirolak said:
Final Fantasy XII only sold 896k units in its launch month and it had the entire NPD tracking month of November: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132896

Unless you expect Final Fantasy XIII to sell almost 70% better in less time to boot, that's not happening.

I think it will do better than XII. XII came out on a system that was in the midst of getting replaced. I think XIII will do bigger numbers than XII because of that. It has a lot more hype and it's not on a lame duck system.

I don't think anyone else has posted it yet... so here's the Feb 2009 vs Feb 2010 comparison for each console.

Code:
PS3: +30.5%
360:  +7.9%
NDS:  +4.3%
PS2: -22.2%
PSP: -33.0%
WII: -47.2%

Yoboman

Gold Member
KuwabaraTheMan said:
I think it will do better than XII. XII came out on a system that was in the midst of getting replaced. I think XIII will do bigger numbers than XII because of that. It has a lot more hype and it's not on a lame duck system.
Agreed but XII was also a good game whereas XIII seems to be getting panned a lot, and IMO is the least appealing FF ever

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
It's not just Sony, it's pretty much every publisher this generation.
So these publishers are ignoring the 200k people who bought Heavy Rain to please the 10 million people who bought Modern Warfare 2. Hmmm... I can't tell which one makes sense! Publishers would rather have a bite at the 10 million rather than a bite at the 200k.

UraMallas said:
Came for the gifs. Left disappoint.

Also, I definitely had to check twice to make sure the 360 was the top selling console for the month. Blindsided.

14j5grr.jpg

:D

dolemite

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
But it's a whole new ball game and FFXII came out during PS2's twilight years and a month before the PS3 came out.

Nobody cared, sadly.

Square-Enix waited too long to release FFXIII but at least they still have five-six more years of PS3's life left. FFXII came out when the PS2 was sent to its nursery home.

I think FFXIII will sell more.
PS2 was still rocking in 2006, second best selling console for the month behind DS.

Psychotext said:
I don't think anyone else has posted it yet... so here's the Feb 2009 vs Feb 2010 comparison for each console.

Code:
PS3: +30.5%
360:  +7.9%
NDS:  +4.3%
PS2: -22.2%
PSP: -33.0%
[b]WII: -47.2%[/b]

Yikes, Wii is down almost 50%.

shwimpy

El-Suave said:
Bioshock PS3 numbers should be interesting for EA should they debate bringing Mass Effect over (if that's legally possible). Same goes for Ubisoft and Splinter Cell.

Two totally different games though. PS3 owners actually want Mass Effect. :lol

Averon

Replicant said:
It's amazing how Sony doesn't get this at all though. They keep churning out those shooters.

It's funny how last gen shooters were lacking on Sony platforms but now it's over flowing with them. Classic case of overcompensating.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
KuwabaraTheMan said:
This has been the harshest Western JRPG market since the SNES era though, and the series has been steadily declining since the PS1 era. While it has some factors in its favor, it has a lot against it as well.

I guess we'll find out next month though.

spwolf

Replicant said:
It's amazing how Sony doesn't get this at all though. They keep churning out those shooters.

that was a joke, right? Because no way anyone else would take risky expensive game like HR but Sony...

charsace

I wouldn't be surprised to see BF out sell FF and GOW3. BF as a series has been established this gen with previous releases in the series that were quality games.

February was a strange month. It's hard to parse out why the chips fell as they did. If the Wii's numbers are genuinely because of supply constraint it would seem Nintendo was too hasty in scaling down their production, and they had better straighten it out before May/June. If it's not supply issues they really need to start attacking from more angles, like budget releases and new colors. I hope Sony has been skimming units to stockpile for this month, otherwise they'll be wasting a lot of potential with some of the heavy hitters coming out.

The gap between Bioshock 360 and PS3 is pretty massive. It seems like PS3 owners are more receptive to 3rd person games than FPS, and vice versa. I guess you could attribute some of this to the special editions the PS3 gets sometimes, but considering how the sales shake out despite the disparity between their installed user bases I tend to think it's more of a demographic thing.

VALIS

Replicant said:

Top selling PS3 games via Wikipedia...

# Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (4.65 million)[129]
# Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (3.5 million)[130]
# MotorStorm (3.31 million)[131]
# Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (3 million shipped)[132]
# Grand Theft Auto IV (2.659 million approximately: 1.89 million in US,[28] 169,000 in Japan,[133] 600,000 in UK)[34]
# Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2.6 million)[134][135]
# Resistance: Fall of Man (2.5 million)[136]
# Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2.5 million approximately; 1.9 million in the US, 600,000 in UK)

Guns and/or cars in every single one of those.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The first Bad Company did 346,000 on the 360 in its first month and didn't even make the Top 20 on the PS3. I don't think there's anyway that it comes close to the 1.5 million it will take to even be in the conversation.
Has Final Fantasy ever sold 1.5 million in its first month? I know God of War definitely hasn't (wouldn't be surprised if even it's U.S. LTD sales is only about that.)

God of War 2 only did 800k first month, 100k second month, and wasn't even in the top 20 after that (in a likely slow month.) The first God of War also did less than a million its first year.

Though it still better than Bad Company. But it's quite possible it's overall sales ended up being decent and Bad Company 2 will be more frontloaded.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Haunted said:
oh snap!

Fuck Dante's Inferno. :(
You know, I think it may have actually beat Bayonetta and Darksiders combined now that I'm looking back a the previous numbers.

It's very close if it didn't win outright.

kinggroin

Banned
Bizarro to look at, but not unexpected I'm sure.

Didn't Sony and Nintendo both say there are shortages? If not, and the Wii was fully in stock; then oh snap.

starsky

This month sales is really whacked. My prediction is whacked. What's going on with the Wii?! The supply constrain must have been pretty bad for it to lose the first spot. With that said, congratulations MS.

thewesker said:
So these publishers are ignoring the 200k people who bought Heavy Rain to please the 10 million people who bought Modern Warfare 2. Hmmm... I can't tell which one makes sense! Publishers would rather have a bite at the 10 million rather than a bite at the 200k.

You just compared overall sales from two consoles of a game, to 5 days worth of sales on a single system.

Mrbob

Speaking of shortages, do we know how many copies of FF13 SE shipped to the USA? PS3 version is extremely hard to find, sold out at a lot of places. 360 version is low stock too. I think the game has done very well, unless square enix didn't ship any.

I don't think it will hit 1.5 million, but over 1 million between both platforms is reasonable. I think FF13 has more juice than FF12 did since its the first real FF on this generation of platforms.

Top Bottom