• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Frillen said:
What!? :lol :lol

Plus, the two other Wii games aren't really big either.
Did you not read the last sentence of my post? I was just listing February releases that did not make the top ten. No one expected that to chart.

Zzoram

Averon said:
The SW sales situation in March will be quite interesting. A lot of games have a shot at getting the number 1 spot. FFXIII, GoW3, BFBC2 and Pokemon. It's impossible to tell with any certainty where those games will position in the charts.

I'd laugh so hard if it was NSMB.Wii.

lordoftherink said:
Large-ish February games that failed to chart in the Top 10

PS3 White Knight Chronicles
PS3 Bioshock 2
PS3 Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
Wii Super Monkey Ball: Step and Roll
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
Multi Aliens vs Predator
Multi Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing

Not saying they were expected to chart, just providing a list
I would also add DS Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth to that list, even though it too was unlikely to chart, as it'd be about as big as Shiren.

a Master Ninja said:
PS3 owners don't give a shit about Bioshock, it seems. The timed-exclusive nature of the first must have fucked the franchise's potential on the PS3.

Thinking the EXACT same thing.

And lol at people blaming shortages for the 360 selling most.

Zzoram

VALIS said:
360 is going to have a monster year. It's already been selling very well plus a new Halo, Fable, Crackdown, Natal, Splinter Cell, maybe a price drop... I'd bet on the 360 this year if Vegas were taking odds.

I really didn't think the 360 could stay above PS3 at this point in the generation, but Jan/Feb suggests that 360 will keep the lead for all of 2010.

BertramCooper said:
Well, for what it's worth, I bought a PS3 last week specifically for FF13. Just an anecdote, but still.
I bought my PS3 for FFXIII a little over a year ago. I know a lot of people who picked up PS3's for that game.

Oh, and I am loving the game, but would love it more if the game didn't handhold so much.

JCtheMC

Heavy Rain charting with 5 days of sales is impressive as far as i'm concerned. [/fanboy]

Replicant said:
HEAVY RAIN, fuck yeah!!!

And considering it was 5 days sale only. :D

Dammit, beaten.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Sony advertises MAG and it doesn't chart. Sony sends Heavy Rain to die and it does chart. What the hells going on here.

People are getting tired of shooters but not murder mysteries?
It makes sense, I mean, we see a new crime investigation show pop up every week, but what was the last war show?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Sony advertises MAG and it doesn't chart. Sony sends Heavy Rain to die and it does chart. What the hells going on here.

Good game versus bad game?

^

I went there again.

Replicant said:
HEAVY RAIN, fuck yeah!!!

And considering it was 5 days sale only. :D

JCtheMC said:
Heavy Rain charting with 5 days of sales is impressive as far as i'm concerned. [/fanboy]

D:

lordoftherink said:

PS3 Bioshock 2
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
Multi Aliens vs Predator

Well, the Sonic Racing game came out on Feb 23.

Mario Kart Wii didn't place this month. Maybe this made casual customers confused after seeing Mario & Sonic at the Olympic games and seeing a Mario and Sonic kart racing going, "What!? There are two kart racing games?!" :p

GreekWolf

360 sales are not only mind-boggling, but they also don't make a whole lot of sense.

Did everyone rush out to grab one for Mass Effect 2 and Bioshock 2? I guess it's feasible, but it just doesn't seem all that likely, considering both titles are 3rd party multiplats.

One thing is for certain, it'll be veeeeeery interesting to see what transpires over the next several months when exclusives like Perfect Dark and Alan Wake finally start rolling in.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AceBandage said:
Not really.
Pokemon will easily take the top, then GoW3 then FF13 then BFBC2.

Yeah maybe I'm crazy, but I don't think March's top spot will be that hard to predict either. It'll be pokemon just like always when pokemon hits even with two skus.

Cruzader

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
Bad Company 2 is gonna outself FFXIII on the 360, and will give God Of War 3 a run for its money.

Now that i wrote it, one of those doesn't sound so plausible.

Im sure BC2 on 360 will outsell GOW3/possibly FF13.

360 owners love online shooters + PS3 fan base dont like 1st party games = What you posted.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I see Heavy Rain sell out in most stores, I guess it's because they didn't stock enough copies. But it's still refreshing to see a game like that chart.

And MAG not charting is kind of no surprise even though it was advertised like crazy.

I'm really curious to see how Bad Company 2 will do. I hope it sells. I would be kind of bummed out if Modern Warfare 2 charts even higher than Bad Company 2 next month.

dolemite

lordoftherink said:

PS3 Bioshock 2
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
Multi Aliens vs Predator

I'm sure these blockbusters will appear on the 11-20 list.

Banned
VanMardigan said:
WOW @ X360.

But you know what? It's had a fantastic start to the year and it deserved those sales. And now I hope Ps3 has a big March to reward GOW3 and FF13. Great games should drive hardware sales, not gimmicks or hype. The Wii has had an absolutely dismal year compared to its competitors and does not deserve to be outselling either of them. Get Nintendo's lazy ass off the couch and finishing up Pikmin, a proper Animal Crossing sequel, a properly working Mario Kart Online, and the next Zelda.

PS3 will easily win March.

Zzoram said:
Even if that's true, and it may very well be, that alone doesn't explain strong 360 sales unless consumers were very unsure about what console to buy but absolutely had to buy one when they went to the stores. If you go to buy a PS3 and don't find one, you likely wouldn't pick up a 360 instead unless you really didn't care that much about which console you wanted to begin with.

I find it had to believe thousands of people could not find a PS3 anywhere in their city.

Omotesando said:
I think Heavy Rain sold better in Europe being a European game and all. This could mean the game could sell well over a million. Huge succes.

How do you know it sold better in Europe? No way it gets over a million.

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Interesting. What gave the 360 such a jump? What gave everything such a jump? I though February was usually quite slow.

GoW3 + FF = big month for PS3 upcoming. Dunno what's up with the Wii. DS continues to destroy everything in its path. Pokemon will surely keep that trend going for a while.

And FUCK Just Dance. It's shit.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
PS3 buyers want more stuff like HR and less stuff like bland online shooters.

Big win for Heavy Rain and Dante's Inferno, and why in GOD's name is Just Dance STILL on this list?

Any updates on Reggie's bet, is he in the lead?

dolemite said:
I'm sure these blockbusters will appear on the 11-20 list.
I have my doubts about WKC.

Anecdotal evidence, but I've only seen one person on my friendlist with trophies for the game and every store I've gone to has plenty of copies.

I replaced my 360 this month, and, ironically, I had to try 3 stores before I found one; Fry's and 2 Targets. I don't know about the Target stores, but Fry's had 2 huge pyramids of PS3s.

VALIS

DeadGzuz said:
So the 360 can beat everyone when it's the only console on the shelf?

If it'll make you feel any better, it beats the PS3 every month no matter how many of either are on the shelves.

Vizion28

Banned
The reason why 360 outsold the Wii is because Wiis are out of stock and it has been this way all year. Even Amazon are all out.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Karma said:

From a GDC article re PS3 supply:

“I think [things will improve] later this spring,” says Dille. “It will still be fairly tight through April, then in late May or June, things should start to loosen up with it.”

So...umm...we'll see :|

DiddyBop

you guys are crazy if you think battlefield 360 will outsell gow3 or both ff13s:lol quote me and save this if you like but bad company is NOT that popular. delusions of grandeur

NeoUltima

Karma said:
Not if they don't fix the supply issues...GoW3 comes out Tuesday and they still have issues. Already dropped the ball with XIII launch.

Supposedly they aren't going to have it fixed it until May? (what a disaster)

Ps3(and Wii too ofc) probably would have beat 360 if not for supply issues.

Pseudo_Sam said:
Interesting. What gave the 360 such a jump? What gave everything such a jump? I though February was usually quite slow.

GoW3 + FF = big month for PS3 upcoming. Dunno what's up with the Wii. .
It really all comes down to supply. I haven't seen a ps3 or a Wii on a store shelf up here in Massachusetts in weeks, but there are plenty of 360s. You can't sell something you don't have. It isn't like the Wii has hit a saturation point, there just aren't many Wii out there to buy. And the PS3 won't have a great month if there aren't any on store shelves.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Yeah it did, but I was just talking about the top 10 it's first month.
The MAG thing made me sad in the same way Grindhouse's theatrical bombing did.

I was hoping both would be successful, thus ushering in some much-needed change.

wizword

Banned
Cruzader said:
Im sure BC2 on 360 will outsell GOW3/possibly FF13.

360 owners love online shooters + PS3 fan base dont like 1st party games = What you posted.
Most ps3 1st party games weren't supposed to sell well. They weren't franchise games nor were they major titles from big developers with huge fan bases. Did anyone expect forza 3 to pull gran turismo 5 numbers? Why do some people expect every ps3 shooter to pull halo numbers? God of war 3 is a major franchise. It is pretty simple that it is going to sell well because many people bought the other 2 games and want to play the next game.

Top Bottom