• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

DMeisterJ

Banned
EviLore said:
Bioshock 2 was the best-selling game in February, selling over 750K units at retail across platforms. The 360 version was the top-selling SKU for the month.

750k-562k = 188k for PS3 and PC, so PS3 version was less than 188k

Edit:

Anyone else find it weird that the PS3 sold 360k? :lol

EXGN

Zzoram said:
Even if that's true, and it may very well be, that alone doesn't explain strong 360 sales unless consumers were very unsure about what console to buy but absolutely had to buy one when they went to the stores. If you go to buy a PS3 and don't find one, you likely wouldn't pick up a 360 instead unless you really didn't care that much about which console you wanted to begin with.

You're reading too much into what I said :p

FrankT

dolemite said:
Bioshock 2 is >750k for both versions, so the PS3 version is around 190k.

Interesting, I wonder how Lost Planet 2 and Dead Rising 2 will fare in this regard. Similar situations.

DMeisterJ said:
750k-562k = 188k for PS3 and PC, so PS3 version was less than 188k

Includes PC eh?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Frillen said:
So if you don't like a game, you absolutely have to be a troll?
That's how it is around here now. Any criticism is tantamount to trolling in the eyes of most fanboys. It would be wonderful to have a massive culling of this behavior.

On topic: Wow at those 360 numbers. What caused the spike?

What numbers did Fable II pull after same time period as ME2 in NPD?

Tell me it was less than ME2. If it weren't, 360 gamers are retarded.

Owzers

woodypop said:
Where are you seeing this? Am I watching the wrong channels? Reading the wrong magazines? Visiting the wrong Web sites? GAH!!!

(I can't remember seeing anything in the U.S.)

It seems like the advertising is mostly in the U.K. I've seen nothing in the U.S.

Thoughts:

Wii - i don't comment on Wii usually. I don't understand it's sales trends. The games that sell on the system are mostly older titles, the system has very few and far between new releases that chart but the ones that do stick around. Mario Kart finally out of the top ten, that's unexpected but then again this months top ten is 200k+ when most of the time it's 120k+

jibblypop

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Why do people get so excited over NPD when it's not even worldwide sales?

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that you are a Sony fan if you are asking this question. Am I far off?

Cheech

Amir0x said:
Because it's a fucking atrocious game with no gameplay and a terrible, plot-hole ridden story? But... you can read my various rants on the game in the Heavy Rain Spoiler topic, and the Heavy Rain topic. google search it if interested (you're probably not).

Heavy Rain doesn't have a ton of gameplay, but it's really secondary to the story. It's a modern point and click adventure story, and in that respect it's damn good for what it is.

Sure, it's not going to appeal to everybody, but those kinds of games selling well are great news. It staves off me walking into Gamestop and being faced with a solid wall of party games and shooters.

Amir0x said:
I don't care about risks, I only care about success. Uniqueness does not automatically demand my praise. Nor does being niche. I'm not in the charity business. We're gamers and consumers! Developers and publishers serve us. If they make a terrible product, one can only hope the product is not successful so it does not continue to waste space as the developer continues to try to make more games like it.
I agree with you here and you have a right to not like it. I think a lot of the times gamers get too caught up in what they consider innovation and don't realize that the product is bare bones and doesn't work the way it's supposed to. It's usually not until later that someone else perfects the idea. This is what usually happens to a lot of stuff. I love new ideas but sometimes they get too much praise. Although I believe Heavy Rain is a good game.

Zzoram

Brettison said:
Okay seriously. Doesn't everyone have a DS yet? I mean really now. :lol

I have 2 little cousins that have 5 DSs. They have 1 phat, 2 lites, 2 DSis. I'm sure they aren't the only family with young kids like this.

Amir0x

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
That's how it is around here now. Any criticism is tantamount to trolling in the eyes of most fanboys. It would be wonderful to have a massive culling of this behavior.

On topic: Wow at those 360 numbers. What caused the spike?

For like three years now, I've been trying to figure out a reasonable way to cull the pitiful trolling accusations that occur so often when ANYBODY criticizes a game (no matter how detailed). I haven't figured out a way to implement it that is fair to everyone...

But when I do, *shakes fist*

Cheech said:
Heavy Rain doesn't have a ton of gameplay, but it's really secondary to the story. It's a modern point and click adventure story, and in that respect it's damn good for what it is.

It drops most of the stuff for good point and click adventures too :(

FrankT

MirageDwarf said:
What numbers did Fable II pull after same time period as ME2 in NPD?

Tell me it was less than ME2. If it weren't, 360 gamers are retarded.

Did nearly these numbers in it's first two weeks give or take, 790k.

Zzoram said:
NPD tracks retail PC games and Amazon.com sales of console/PC games.

Yea I'm aware that I saw no source for the overall number which they normally say if it includes the PC side as well.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Amir0x said:
And Heavy Rain fanboys which continue to cry about it do embarrass themselves only.
Says the person who points out their hatred of said game in seemingly every single topic possible where Heavy Rain is mentioned.

But hey, who am I to tell you to stop hating Heavy Rain. I value my membership more than arguing with you more, so I'll stop now. :D

MIMIC

Banned
Very surprising. Never thought the 360 would surpass the Wii in monthly sales. But the Wii is still a massive behemoth by a considerable margin. Nobody's knees should be jerking.

But Microsoft can put a feather in its cap today.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Amir0x said:
For like three years now, I've been trying to figure out a reasonable way to cull the pitiful trolling accusations that occur so often when ANYBODY criticizes a game (no matter how detailed). I haven't figured out a way to implement it that is fair to everyone...

But when I do, *shakes fist*

It drops most of the stuff for good point and click adventures too :(

1 Hour Bans? :lol

You could double it for each offense.

Amir0x

Banned
chubigans said:
Says the person who points out their hatred of said game in every single topic possible.

But hey, who am I to tell you to stop hating Heavy Rain. I value my membership more than arguing with you more, so I'll stop now. :D

i don't ban you for disagreeing with me. If that was the case, EVERYBODY would be banned :D

ChuBoi

Banned
EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 1/31/2010 through 2/27/2010

PlayStation 2 101.9K
PlayStation 3 360.1K
PSP 133.4K
Xbox 360 422.0K
Wii 397.9K
Nintendo DS 613.2K

weebay.gif

VegaShinra

I'm impressed with the Heavy Rain numbers. Can't wait to see March NPD and see if Heavy Rain kept selling well. God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and MLB The Show could dominate March.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Snipes424 said:
Really good February for everyone.

I'm glad to see Heavy Rain in the top 10, I hope it makes it again next month.

This right here is nearly impossible. Have you seen all the big sellers that are launching that month?

FF XIII x2, Pokemon x2, GoW x1. That's half right there!

FrankT

Anyone have the LTDs? Normally the same guy has them posted already.

Man God said:
This right here is nearly impossible. Have you seen all the big sellers that are launching that month?

FF XIII x2, Pokemon x2, GoW x1. That's half right there!

Yea and 2 more with BBC2.

Amir0x

Banned
VegaShinra said:
I'm impressed with the Heavy Rain numbers. Can't wait to see March NPD and see if Heavy Rain kept selling well. God of War 3, Heavy Rain, and MLB The Show could dominate March.

more like God of War III and Final Fantasy XIII will dominate March

ZoddGutts

L0st Id3ntity said:
How are Heavy Rain sales good? They certainly won't logically make Sony call QD and ask them to make a new game.

Because those 219.3K sales are from 4-5 days alone in feb. The game came out in Feb 23. Good to see it selling it well.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
ZoddGutts said:
Because those 219.3K sales are from 5 days alone in feb. The game came out in Feb 23. Good to see it selling it well.

Ah... the good old, its only x days of sales!!

All games sales are front loaded, and most of them dont have legs to keep selling well month after month, except for a few games.

wizword

Banned
Could the xbox 360 sales and ps3 boost be because of ff13? I wonder if people are buying a xbox 360 over ps3 to play ff13. I would assume that march both ps3 and xbox 360 are going to outsell wii due to these sales indication and that the consoles are getting a couple of big games.

desh

KuwabaraTheMan said:
No, 360 version sold better in the first month, but the PS3 version sold better in the second month.

Arkham Asylum sold 13k more on the 360 first month and 4k more on the PS3 the second month.

UraMallas

Came for the gifs. Left disappoint.

Also, I definitely had to check twice to make sure the 360 was the top selling console for the month. Blindsided.

Varjet

MIMIC said:
Very surprising. Never thought the 360 would surpass the Wii in monthly sales. But the Wii is still a massive behemoth by a considerable margin. Nobody's knees should be jerking.

But Microsoft can put a feather in its cap today.
1zdtbfl.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jtyettis said:
Anyone have the LTDs? Normally the same guy has them posted already.

Yea and 2 more with BBC2.

Maybe no on the PS3 version, I can't really tell.

Baseball games might be pretty close to a lock as well.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
The reign of Wii has been toppled. Long live the 360 DS! Congrats to MS. Thumbs down to Sony if for no other reason than I haven't seen a PS3 for sale for weeks now. And yes, I've been looking to buy a new one. DAMN YOU YLOD!

Top Bottom