• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

wizword said:
Could the xbox 360 sales and ps3 boost be because of ff13? I wonder if people are buying a xbox 360 over ps3 to play ff13. I would assume that march both ps3 and xbox 360 are going to outsell wii.

Not sure about the 360 boost, but both the PS3 and Wii have been fairly supply constraint in the past month and a half in most stores.

FrankT

Varjet said:
1zdtbfl.jpg

Achieved in it's first month bro heh. Anyhow I believe this is only the 4th time it has done it however.

FlawlessCowboy said:
I expect Battlefield: Bad Company 2 to stand shoulder to shoulder with those games.

I have a feeling it will as well.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Why do people expect FF13 to push consoles?

GTA4, which is a much, much more popular game, did not. That was also 2 years earlier in the console life, which is when games should do more pushing.

Oh, and Pokemon will probably win next month.

ZoddGutts said:
Because those 219.3K sales are from 4-5 days alone in feb. The game came out in Feb 23. Good to see it selling it well.

But apparently games only sell in their 1st week and don't sell after that... I read someone post... twice ;)

I'm going to make a huge leap of logic here: Big Bioshock 2 360 sales + Small Bioshock 2 PS3 sales + Big 360 hardware sales == Bioshock 2 360 system seller.

thuway

Great month for everyone.

Both PS3 and Wii are sold out virtually everywhere and the Xbox 360 pulled amazing numbers.

Heavy Rain Charted. Mass Effect 2 Charted. PS3 owners supported Dante's Inferno. No one should be upset. There should be a GIF where all three companies are sitting at a table and joking. :)

mr_nothin

Banned
Well PS3 does have a shortage problem...
All slims are on backorder on Gamestop.com

thuway said:
Great month for everyone.

Both PS3 and Wii are sold out virtually everywhere and the Xbox 360 pulled amazing numbers.

Heavy Rain Charted. Mass Effect 2 Charted. PS3 owners supported Dante's Inferno. No one should be upset. There should be a GIF where all three companies are sitting at a table and joking. :)
Yea great all around..except the Wii part. I hate the Wii :lol
I'll hate the PS Move too if it goes down that same road.

fernoca

Jtyettis said:
Yea and 2 more with BBC2.
Though that who knows, maybe hype will help..but the first Battlefield Bad company wasn't a big seller..at least at first.

It debuted on June 2008 with:
NPD June 2008 said:
06. Battlefield: Bad Company (X360) - 346.8K
And the PS3 version wasn't even in the Top 20. Then was nowhere to be found in the July 2008 list.

But this one, does have more hype..and midnight launches and TV spots multiple times every day.

Zzoram

chuckddd said:
The reign of Wii has been toppled. Long live the 360 DS! Congrats to MS. Thumbs down to Sony if for no other reason than I haven't seen a PS3 for sale for weeks now. And yes, I've been looking to buy a new one. DAMN YOU YLOD!

Check Amazon

DMeisterJ said:
Why do people say this?

Because GAF's armchair business savants told me it was a super-niche game with no marketing in a dead genre and it was going to bomb hard. Doing over 200K in 4 days is impressive, that's all I said.

EXGN

ZoddGutts said:
Because those 219.3K sales are from 4-5 days alone in feb. The game came out in Feb 23. Good to see it selling it well.

As someone else mentioned, more hardcore games are naturally front loaded. 220K in it's first week means it will probably cap at 400K, 500K*. I mean, that's still really good, especially for the type of game it is, but saying its 'only' for 4-5 days is giving the game's lasting power more credit than it deserves.

*For the year.

DeadlySchnauzer said:
I'm going to make a huge leap of logic here: Big Bioshock 2 360 sales + Small Bioshock 2 PS3 sales + Big 360 hardware sales == Bioshock 2 360 system seller.
Just, no. Also, Bioshock 2 is going to fall well well short of Take Two's projections. (5 million)

Jonsoncao

Banned
Snipes424 said:
Really good February for everyone.

I'm glad to see Heavy Rain in the top 10, I hope it makes it again next month.

2 FFXIIIs
1 GoW3
2 BFBC2
2 Pokemons
1 WiiSports
1 NSMB
1 MW2
or
1 MLB 2k10
1 MLB the show

Top10 next month is pretty predictable, and heavy rain probably wont be one of them

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
For like three years now, I've been trying to figure out a reasonable way to cull the pitiful trolling accusations that occur so often when ANYBODY criticizes a game (no matter how detailed). I haven't figured out a way to implement it that is fair to everyone...

But when I do, *shakes fist*
Screw "fairness".

Poster A: I didn't like the game for the following wll thought out and detailed reasons...

Poster B: Haters gonna hate!

Poster B
Banned
(03-11-2010, 04:11 PM)
Reply | Quote

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
fernoca said:
Though that who knows, maybe hype will help..but the first Battlefield Bad company wasn't a big seller..at least at first.

It debuted on June 2008 with:

And the PS3 version wasn't even in the Top 20. Then was nowhere to be found in the July 2008 list.

But this one, does have more hype..and midnight launches and TV spots multiple times every day.

I expect BBC2 will probably do similar to Vegas 2, so around 800k on the 360.

Vegas 1 didn't start great either.

Zzoram

Frillen said:
The 360 version of Bad Company 2 will outsell God of War 3 and both the FFXIII skus. Quote me.

Bad Company 2 will definitely do very well. I'd be shocked if it was under 800K.

FrankT

Jonsoncao said:
2 FFXIIIs
1 GoW3
2 BFBC2
2 Pokemons
1 WiiSports
1 NSMB
1 MW2

Top10 next month is pretty predictable, and heavy rain probably wont be one of them

Probably land on the latter part of the top 20 perhaps.

fernoca

AceBandage said:
Not sure about the 360 boost, but both the PS3 and Wii have been fairly supply constraint in the past month and a half in most stores.
But it seems it only affected the Wii, which sales were down from January 2010. PS3 sales were up..and in both months the 360 outsold the PS3 by around 60k units, so is not like Sony couldn't ship an extra 60k units in both months..just to beat the 360. :p

February games that failed to chart in the Top 10

PS3 White Knight Chronicles
PS3 Bioshock 2
PS3 Star Ocean: The Last Hope International
Wii Super Monkey Ball: Step and Roll
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
DS Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Multi Aliens vs Predator
Multi Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing

Not saying they were expected to chart, just providing a list

WrikaWrek

Banned
Bad Company 2 is gonna outself FFXIII on the 360, and will give God Of War 3 a run for its money.

Now that i wrote it, one of those doesn't sound so plausible.

threenote

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Screw "fairness".

Poster A: I didn't like the game for the following wll thought out and detailed reasons...

Poster B: Haters gonna hate!

Poster B
Banned
(03-11-2010, 04:11 PM)
Reply | Quote
you're somewhat of an idiot, if you're being serious.

Nirolak said:
I wouldn't be surprised if Bad Company 2 outsold those games.

The first Bad Company did 346,000 on the 360 in its first month and didn't even make the Top 20 on the PS3. I don't think there's anyway that it comes close to the 1.5 million it will take to even be in the conversation.

No Deadly Premonition? :(

Kidding, but I am loving that game and it was my only Feb game pickup.

Plus, I added one to the 360 sales. My 360 was out of warranty, noisy as hell, and GameStop had a $30 trade-in credit bonus, so I got me an Arcade for $120 with tax.

Loving the wireless controller and the quiet console.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Frillen said:
The 360 version of Bad Company 2 will outsell God of War 3 and both the FFXIII skus. Quote me.

Quoted for agreeance.

Pokemon Heart Gold > Pokemon Soul Silver > BFBC2 360 > God of War 3> FFXIII PS3 > NSMB Wii> BFBC2 PS3 > Just Dance> FFXIII 360 > MLB 10: The Show

Frillen

Jonsoncao said:
2 FFXIIIs
1 GoW3
2 BFBC2
2 Pokemons
1 WiiSports
1 NSMB
1 MW2
or
1 MLB 2k10
1 MLB the show

Throw in MLB The Show as well. Will definitely do over 300k.

ZoddGutts

Katana_Strikes said:
But apparently games only sell in their 1st week and don't sell after that... I read someone post... twice ;)

True but it still sold pretty well considering what the type of game it is. Did Heavy Rain even have commercials in the U.S.? Don't remember seeing any.

Frillen

lordoftherink said:
Large-ish February games that failed to chart in the Top 10

PS3 Bioshock 2
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
Multi Aliens vs Predator

What!? :lol :lol

Plus, the two other Wii games aren't really big either.

Averon

The SW sales situation in March will be quite interesting. A lot of games have a shot at getting the number 1 spot. FFXIII, GoW3, BFBC2 and Pokemon. It's impossible to tell with any certainty where those games will position in the charts.

Rocksteady33

zero_suit said:
DS is going to have even more ridiculous sales for March. I expect Pokemon to be the best seller, probably easily.

At this point I'm not really sure if Pokemon is a system seller. If you like Pokemon, you have a DS.

GeoramA

Good to see PS3 owners bought Heavy Rain over BioShock 2 :D Didn't think it would do over 200k.

Should do even better in Europe since it was actually advertised over there. SCEA...smh

Averon said:
The SW sales situation in March will be quite interesting. A lot of games have a shot at getting the number 1 spot. FFXIII, GoW3, BFBC2 and Pokemon. It's impossible to tell with any certainty where those games will position in the charts.

Not really.
Pokemon will easily take the top, then GoW3 then FF13 then BFBC2.

VALIS

360 is going to have a monster year. It's already been selling very well plus a new Halo, Fable, Crackdown, Natal, Splinter Cell, maybe a price drop... I'd bet on the 360 this year if Vegas were taking odds.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
The first Bad Company did 346,000 on the 360 in its first month and didn't even make the Top 20 on the PS3. I don't think there's anyway that it comes close to the 1.5 million it will take to even be in the conversation.

None of those games are selling 1.5 million in March.

Zzoram

BertramCooper said:
Well, for what it's worth, I bought a PS3 last week specifically for FF13. Just an anecdote, but still.

I'm sure it's happening, but not that often. Everyone I know who bought a PS3 at or near launch cited Final Fantasy XIII as a reason for buying it, and that was 3 years ago.

BF BC 2 (360) will easily beat Final Fantasy. God of War could be trickier. It's hard to tell what kind of demand there is for that. I'll go out on a limb (not really anymore since three other people said it first) based on the time of release and agree that it'll outsell GOW too.

Mafro

lordoftherink said:
Large-ish February games that failed to chart in the Top 10

PS3 Bioshock 2
Wii Endless Ocean 2
Wii Shiren the Wanderer
Multi Aliens vs Predator