• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

donny2112

So what is 3DS/Wii U hardware really at?

3DS+Wii U is up > 20% YOY through 6 months. 3DS is up > 40% YOY through 6 months.

Welfare gets 123K for 3DS. I get ~135K for 3DS. Welfare's 3DS number seems to go to ~54K for Wii U. My 3DS number goes to ~60K for Wii U.

3DS - ~125-135K
WIU - ~55-60K

+ Japan, China ;)

japan is disappointing for everybody involved

china is trickier. combination of xbox has no decent japanese titles + acquiescing to chinese gov demands vs ps4's japanese catalogue + finding ways to get around chinese mandated region lock means that it's doubtful china will ever be a meaningful market for xbox.

Japan is a problem since first Xbox. It didn't hurt 360.

Microsoft need to sell better in mainland Europe, PS4 is killing with massive market share outside of UK.

this too. i think with europe the problem is the same with google where both google and microsoft introduce features and services that cater almost entirely only for the us market, whereas sony seems to be able to manage european divisions much better than xbox can.

(for an example of the google thing, google maps supposedly aren't very good for eu, but nokia's here maps are apparently much better and has a much larger marketshare).

Kayant

And the rest of Asia. But at least they have New Zealand locked down.

XS5LK.gif

3DS+Wii U is up > 20% YOY through 6 months. 3DS is up > 40% YOY through 6 months.

Welfare gets 123K for 3DS. I get ~135K for 3DS. Welfare's 3DS number seems to go to ~54K for Wii U. My 3DS number goes to ~60K for Wii U.

3DS - ~125-135K
WIU - ~55-60K

how did you get your numbers, I did a calculation and it lines up with Welfare's (and ZhugeEX's)

Welfare

June 2015 is the second biggest month for the Xbox One excluding holiday months (November and December)

1. March 2014 - 311k
2. June 2015 - 297k
3. September 2014 - 284k
4. February 2015 - 276k
5. February 2014 - 258k

phanphare

Banned
You were talking about may npd thread right? The first three pages were off people talking about it having amazing sales without any numbers to back them up. Then we discovered it only sold around 135k.

Really because I recall some predicted at least 2 million WW in one if the PAL threads. Can we stop pretending everyone said the game was going to bomb.

yes I was talking about the May NPD thread and yes charting in the top 5 NPD and selling 135k for 2 days of tracking was amazing. I think the issue you're having is that you're missing the relativity of that claim.

and prior to launch I don't think a single person on this forum predicted 2 million WW LTD for Splatoon. that claim surely came after it passed 1 million WW and proved its legs in other territories.

Genio88

Curious to see how much did PS4 exactly, cause Xbone sold well too so i guess the gap was little, by the way i'm glad to see both console are selling well and better than last year, we need this to keep it going

Jawmuncher

Kills me no one is talking about Lego Jurassic World in this thread. Splatoon is nice and all, but there's actually dinosaurs on the NPD!

You were talking about may npd thread right? The first three pages were off people talking about it having amazing sales without any numbers to back them up. Then we discovered it only sold around 135k.

Really because I recall some predicted at least 2 million WW in one if the PAL threads. Can we stop pretending everyone said the game was going to bomb.

No one is pretending. Bomb predictions were widespread throughout GAF. We had an entire threads worth of people genuinely predicting W101 numbers.

ZhugeEX

Banned
how did you get your numbers, I did a calculation and it lines up with Welfare's (and ZhugeEX's)

Because the wording from Nintendo says "More than x percent" which means the numbers can be higher.

As I put in my post, what I wrote down is just estimates.

If sony brings out a bundle for COD for NA for the ps4, and since they already have one for mgs v they are going to wreck this holiday

Yeah. With them now having the partnership for COD, I'd be shocked if they don't have a bundle to fully push. And then they have Star Wars they can advertise a bundle for as well, damn they are loaded for mindshare.

Yeah, and if we assume that the US is only 30% of their market share, they sold ~25 million worldwide.

Making shit up is fun!

I'm not making shit up! it is pretty obvious that USA is most of Xone market!

Xbox 360 was in a way better situation WW and USA was still more than half of their market.

Just look at past NPD numbers and official reports and you'll see.

At the best case scenario USA is 50% of xone market share

But being realistic it is close to 60%,specially since most of their deals are USA only.

Xone is dead outside USA and UK.

Kayant

Japan is a problem since first Xbox. It didn't hurt 360.

Microsoft need to sell better in mainland Europe, PS4 is killing with massive market share outside of UK.

True, things like the 7:1 ration in Spain is what they need to somehow combat.
japan is disappointing for everybody involved

china is trickier. combination of xbox has no decent japanese titles + acquiescing to chinese gov demands vs ps4's japanese catalogue + finding ways to get around chinese mandated region lock means that it's doubtful china will ever be a meaningful market for xbox.

Yh I wonder if they still have thoes 5 iirc retail games from launch or if it increased.
We Need Competition™

Oh gad....

Times like this is where you need Y2Kev's wise words.

Crayolan

You were talking about may npd thread right? The first three pages were of people talking about it having amazing sales without any numbers to back them up. Then we discovered it only sold around 135k.

This isn't looking too unreasonable at the moment. It broke 1m a month ago, and then continued to do well for the rest of June.

Schnauzer

No. I guess I'm assuming that PS3 and Xbox 350 YOY is either flat or slightly down. Maybe doesn't hold true. But it says hardware is up 8% YOY. That is dollars IIRC.

Xbox One is up 51% in units. And it probably has had about a $50 avg price reduction from this time last year. Down from $400 to $350. So it dropped 12.5% in avg price while increasing units by 51%.

Guess we need PS3 and Xbox 360 to finish the equation

The only way that'd be possible is if PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii-U were up.

If I recall, PS4 06/14 numbers were 269,000 < 297,000 Xbox One's numbers. Based on that alone, it's safe to say PS4 is up YOY.

Faustek

5.) Splatoon (Wii U)

-Splatoon sold 290K for a total of 455K.

Wasn't expecting that to be honest. Been conditioned to believe that opening day is heavier than the rest of the sales.
Probably only true for Amiibos though.

USA accounts for 47% of the global console market.

No.

=( for that 3DS #. Nintendo hardware sales are likely utter crap this month....

just so much a paint job can do.

harSon

Banned
If sony brings out a bundle for COD for NA for the ps4, and since they already have one for mgs v they are going to wreck this holiday

Quick question. Would it technically be legal for a platform holder to work with retailers to provide one of a select few games, one of which happens to be a 3rd party title with exclusive rights on a competing console, to come free with the purchase of said platform holder's console (assuming they're subsidizing the cost)? If so, it's a scummy way of advertising your console with any game you want - and creating an artificial bundle.

Toki767

I'm not making shit up! it is pretty obvious that USA is most of Xone market!

Xbox 360 was in a way better situation WW and USA was still more than half of their market.

Just look at past NPD numbers and official reports and you'll see.

At the best case scenario USA is 50% of xone market share

But being realistic it is close to 60%,specially since most of their deals are USA only.

Xone is dead outside USA and UK.
I think at this rate it's better to assume that the US is closer to 70-80% of the Xbox One's install rather than 60%. Where would that other 40% even be coming from?

Quick question. Would it technically be legal for a platform holder to work with retailers to provide one of a select few games, one of which happens to be a 3rd party title with exclusive rights on a competing console, to come free with the purchase of said platform holder's console (assuming they're subsidizing the cost)? If so, it's a scummy way of advertising your console with any game you want - and creating an artificial bundle.
See: Microsoft's Xbox One deals during the week of Destiny and Arkham Knight.

Hawk269

So glad to see ESO at No. 2 on the list. Granted, when it first launched on PC over a year ago the game had it's fair share of issues and when the re-worked some things and released the 1.6 update things really started to get good.

ZhugeEX

Banned
You guys are so wrong about Xbox One..... It's easily less than 60%.

The PS4 share in the USA is 36% of total worldwide sales.

Mr Moose

So glad to see ESO at No. 2 on the list. Granted, when it first launched on PC over a year ago the game had it's fair share of issues and when the re-worked some things and released the 1.6 update things really started to get good.

Is it worth picking up? They got rid of the monthly subscription, right? I enjoyed Skyrim (on PS3, even though it played like crap).

Wasn't expecting that to be honest. Been conditioned to believe that opening day is heavier than the rest of the sales.
Probably only true for Amiibos though.

No.

Majority of Xbox and Nintendo (consoles) sales are from U.S

U.S accounting for 47% of the overall market shouldn't be way off.

meh, gonna be generous and give the Wii U 60k for the month

NPD April-June 2014: 249k
NPD April June 2015: 146k

good effort, Japan, but no

Top Bottom