• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

ZhugeEX

Banned
Actually speaking of the holiday season.

Lets talk worldwide here.

Sony sold through 4.1 million PlayStation 4's to end users between November 23rd 2014 and January 4th 2015.

The PS2 during its first holiday season in 2001 sold through more than 5.3 million units worldwide between November 26th 2001 and January 6th 2002.

The PS3 during its first holiday season (2007) sold 1.5 million in the USA + Japan (No EU numbers) and during its second holiday season sold 2.2 million units worldwide from November 23rd through to December 29th 2008.

Welp, looks like the PS4 declined month over month, so much for Bloodborne being a system seller I guess, lol. But Bloodborne bombing shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone outside the Sony-GAF echo chamber.

The game is full of cheap design. I played the game at a friend's house, and the very first enemy will two-shot you really easily. To add insult to injury, you deal like two damage per attack you do. You have to hit him like 50 times to kill him. Make just one mistake and you will have to sit through a minute long loading screen before having to start from scratch again. I tried like 40 times before deciding that life is too short. I guess padding your game with artificial difficulty makes sense when you are selling your game to a games-starved user base but it's not my cup of tea.

Also, dat loading screen. I have no idea what they were thinking. Maybe they were afraid that PS4 owners wouldn't know how to handle actually playing a game for more than 50 % of any given period of time?

I watched my friend play for a while. Apparently you level up by getting a blowjob from a sex doll? How did anyone think a game like this would sell. Also, the guns seem to be bugged. They do pretty much no damage :/

To further worsen the terrible launch month, the game will have horrible legs. I bet not even 5 % of players could get past the first boss. Gamestop is likely LITERALLY swimming in trade-ins by now.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see how Sony-GAF reacts when the Web of Lies spun by Shu the Vicious Lier is torn down and the Steam and The One versions will be visible to the world, ready to pounce at the ponies and incite frenzy into their minds and souls.

thebloo

Do we know if MS is going for the AssCreed marketing this time around?

Ubi got the deal of a lifetime out of it, and if MS is willing to do something like that again I am sure they wont object.

They were two "desperate" entities lucky to have each other. But this year should be different. Ubi would probably prefer to market to the bigger base and MS already has their own games lined up.

Welp, looks like the PS4 declined month over month, so much for Bloodborne being a system seller I guess, lol. But Bloodborne bombing shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone outside the Sony-GAF echo chamber.

The game is full of cheap design. I played the game at a friend's house, and the very first enemy will two-shot you really easily. To add insult to injury, you deal like two damage per attack you do. You have to hit him like 50 times to kill him. Make just one mistake and you will have to sit through a minute long loading screen before having to start from scratch again. I tried like 40 times before deciding that life is too short. I guess padding your game with artificial difficulty makes sense when you are selling your game to a games-starved user base but it's not my cup of tea.

Also, dat loading screen. I have no idea what they were thinking. Maybe they were afraid that PS4 owners wouldn't know how to handle actually playing a game for more than 50 % of any given period of time?

I watched my friend play for a while. Apparently you level up by getting a blowjob from a sex doll? How did anyone think a game like this would sell. Also, the guns seem to be bugged. They do pretty much no damage :/

To further worsen the terrible launch month, the game will have horrible legs. I bet not even 5 % of players could get past the first boss. Gamestop is likely LITERALLY swimming in trade-ins by now.

Also, it's going to be interesting to see how Sony-GAF reacts when the Web of Lies spun by Shu the Vicious Lier is torn down and the Steam and The One versions will be visible to the world, ready to pounce at the ponies and incite frenzy into their minds and souls.

hmmmmm.....

I was just waiting and waiting for the point in the post where you said Gotchya! But it never came.... If this is a real post I have no words. If not, you could at least give more clues that you aren't serious.

Jomjom

Banned
hmmmmm.....

I was just waiting and waiting for the point in the post where you said Gotchya! But it never came.... If this is a real post I have no words. If not, you could at least give more clues that you aren't serious.

Of course it's a joke post. Tried a bit too hard I think. I give it a 6.5/10.

vcc

Souls is a niche gaming. selling 1m in the first weekend is BEYOND it's sales expectations. It's the best a souls game has sold.

Baalzebup

hmmmmm.....

Read the post he has in his tag, and then try to decide if Hydrophilic is serious when he posts like that. There is writing on the wall here.
He is not serious.

Chobel

welcheing is also considered "not on" in the etiquette of betting, and here we are.

At least a nacho hat would keep to the letter if not the intent of your "eat my hat" declaration.

I lost the bet, so I should have suffered some consequences. Eating nacho hat is hardly suffering.

BibiMaghoo

Read the post he has in his tag, and then try to decide if Hydrophilic is serious when he posts like that. There is writing on the wall here.
He is not serious.

I assumed the post in his tag was also real, and so by default this one is not a joke either.

I hope I am wrong.

Vena

The Wii U lives inside all of us.

It is very much alive.

Why have you not made a plot showing the potential exponential growth of the WiiU going forward? Its obvious that at this rate, the PS4 and X1 will collapse and the WiiU will soon experience unprecedented Y^|X| growth! Its just been bidding its time!

Here, just throw this into mathematica! By my calculations, the WiiU is only bidding its time...

Plot[1.05^Abs[z], {z, 0, 1000}, PlotRange -> {{0, 150}, {0, 400}}]

Welfare

Some may say the sales boost for PS4 in September was just a coincidence, I say it was destiny.

boo_this_man_half_baked.gif

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Some may say the sales boost for PS4 in September was just a coincidence, I say it was destiny.

In the same way someone could say One beating PS4 in November was due to many deals ordered by the chief...a master collection of them.

joecanada

8/10 needs reference to ponies or indies

Rurunaki

Will probably catch some people off guard. Would change "Vicios Lier" to "Vacuous" instead.

cakely

A+++, good communication, sturdy packaging would read again. :)

Patapwn

My uncle owns a video game shop called the bloodborne hut and he said you're wrong

Amir0x

Banned
One can hope that the people who were interested in the game and didn't buy it will be there for the PS4 version later this summer. Media Molecule appears to have put a ton of work into it, and the hot streak the PS4 has been on should be conducive to a much better lifespan for the title. I hope so, since Tearaway is by far the best thing Media Molecule has done, and I really hope that they do more with 3D gameplay in the future.

My only issue is that the PS4 version can in no way duplicate what the Vita version achieved. I'm interested in it, but a lot of the charm would be lost in translation without some very clever PS4-related stuff to fill in the gap.

Man

(Destiny)
Pffft, hah hah, man, I did not see that coming. Nice job Activision, you complete bastards.
Wonder if anything this year will have a similar effect, or advertising spend.
$299 price point and MGS5 branding-exclusivity is going to make September an *enormous* month for PS4.

Boke1879

Yes and PS4 was still burning off Holiday Demand at this point (I believe they finally met demand in march or april).

I do think PS4 will be down YoY unless there is a price drop. I just dont see it getting anything close to a 575k September like Destiny got them.

The next big month for PS4 will be in June imo. Batman AK bundle should put it over 400k

EatMyFace

Banned
First 3 months of 2015 vs First 3 months of 2014.

Nintendo Wii U is up ~20%
Xbox One is down ~7%
PlayStation 4 is down ~4%
PS4 hasn't had a price cut though so the fact that its down less than the XBO is pretty impressive. Why is the Wii U up though? Can't be Mario Party 10 can it?

EatMyFace

Banned

You're supposed to die with that enemy and you can't kill him unless you get your weapon. It's not bad game design, its just not hand holding like we're used to.

I'm assuming the rest of your comment is a joke, right?

Lemondish

This post is pretty stupid, even if it's a joke. I am dumber for having read it.

Tears down the game but then finishes with a "just wait until it's on Xbox One".

Surprise twist: it's not a joke

Actually speaking of the holiday season.

Lets talk worldwide here.

Sony sold through 4.1 million PlayStation 4's to end users between November 23rd 2014 and January 4th 2015.

The PS2 during its first holiday season in 2001 sold through more than 5.3 million units worldwide between November 26th 2001 and January 6th 2002.

The PS3 during its first holiday season (2007) sold 1.5 million in the USA + Japan (No EU numbers) and during its second holiday season sold 2.2 million units worldwide from November 23rd through to December 29th 2008.

I wonder what that world worldwide number for PS4's holiday would look like if the Japanese console market didn't crash hard.

PS3

The PS4 hardware has been profitable since launch (the launch months included 1x game sale in that calculation).

Not just PS3, but also PS2 and PSOne in a somewhat similar time frame(PS2 especially). $100 price drops and PlayStation go together like PB&J.

Trey

NPD pretty boring nowadays when we know PS4 will dominate XB1 Jan-Oct. No drama.

Was it better when the Wii was eviscerating the competition for a few years, before the 360 took over three and a half years into that generation and had a vice grip on NPD until the next generation launched?

geordiemp

#neogafshitposts

If it was sarcastic you could at least of tried to be funny and done a Mr X parody or something.

Ponies - if you meant that then you really are a absolute idiot of the first degree.

Elandyll

Banned
#neogafshitposts

If it was sarcastic you could at least of tried to be funny and done a Mr X parody or something.

Ponies - if you meant that then you really are a absolute idiot of the first degree.

He is joking ;)

At first I wasn't sure, but then I saw in his post history that he actually plays Bloodborne, so ... yeah ;)

I do agree that his rant lacks a certain "flair" ... or maybe something truly funny. Good try though.

PS3

The PS4 hardware has been profitable since launch (the launch months included 1x game sale in that calculation).

PS3 dropped by a lot to stop the bleeding of marketshare. That's not an issue in this case, and we can't assume a $300 PS4 would be profitable. What should motivate Sony to take a loss on the box?

Top Bottom