• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Tiktaalik said:
Waaaay back when RockBand: Beatles was first announced and music games were appearing in the top 10s months after release I thought that the Beatles title would be the top selling game of Sept, doing over 1 million easily.

Over the rest of the year as it became apparent that the music genre was coming down to earth I of course revised that opinion. Even with lowered expectations though, Beatles seems low to me. I really expected better. Either the music game genre really is going out like a bad fad or there are less Beatles fans than I thought there were.
How is 600,000 bad?

D-Pad

"The Wii Motion Plus captured the top spot for accessory sales this month, while Wii Remote Controller was the second best-selling item in terms of units, but generated the most dollar sales in the accessories category. Accessories for the 360 platform accounted for five of the top-10 accessory items for the month."

Go, M+ penetration! About how many of these things are in households now?

DangerousDave said:
Wow, i hope that this junior reach soon the month/200 messages, or we'll lose a lot of fun when he'll get permabanned.

About Sony losing 100$ for each PS3... if all that people that bought a PS3 buy also 4 or 5 games (even less if they're first party) in all the lifespan of the console, in average, Sony won't be loosing anything, because the game royalties will make recover the lost money. And, well, I think that nearly all will end buying 4-5 games, at least.

You know that usually hardware is not economically worthy for the hardware consoles, but they gain the money with the royalties of the games, accesories, etc??

If you follow NPD sales topics then you already know that PS3 software doens't sell with the same fervor as 360, and sometimes, Wii software.

For example. ODST, which is just an overpriced, glorified expansion pack, sold more in 1 week than Killzone 2 sold in 9 months.

Shurs

I'm surprised the gap was as large as it was between Sony and Microsoft seeing as both saw recent price reductions on their hardware and it was the debut of another Bungie Halo game.

Opiate

As for the "losing money is bad" thing, I honestly believe Microsoft's greatest threat in the console realm is google. Not that Google will ever make a console -- they're far too practical to get in to this disgustingly unprofitable industry -- but they are certainly in a position to begin eating in to Microsoft marketshare in the Word Processing and perhaps even OS arenas.

And that, folks, is not something Microsoft would stand for. If Microsoft felt their Windows monopoly was threatened in any serious way, it would be an "all hands on deck" atmosphere. The 360 -- which has thus far enjoyed subsidization from Microsoft's more profitable ventures -- would be left to actually stand on its own two legs, I suspect.

Tiktaalik said:
Even with lowered expectations though, Beatles seems low to me. I really expected better.

No, I agree. Again, they paid $10 million in licensing fees for this game, and only sold 600k copies this month. I don't see how this is going to be a big success, and I think it really speaks to the huge ongoing decline of the music game in general.

Opiate said:
I'm most surprised by the 360's stabilization. It still came in third, which why I presume less people are talking about it, but I expected the system to fare worse for two reasons: 1) Thus far, PS3 gains have meant 360 losses in terms of sales, and 2) Last year, there was a price cut, while this year, there was a sku shuffle.

Had the makings of a comparatively depressing month, but it was quite dandy.

My position as well. 360 didn't lose out to PS3 buyers; it stayed pretty steady even as the PS3 took off. If I were Microsoft I really wouldn't be too worried right now.

CoG

OrigJake78 said:
Actually on that you have a valid point. The "$53 Million" is just a worst case scenario. But you are right, and I graciously concede. There is no way of knowing exactly how many of the units sold were the PS3 Slim.

...Although I'd bet the vast majority were the new model. I'd also be willing to bet that a small percentage of those sales came from people who already owned the PS3.

(See Also: "Now with new hat.")

Either way, Sony lost a lot of money for a small victory over two opponents that have been klicking Sony's ass for the past 13 months straight. Seriously, that's no joke.

And when speaking of losses, some have claimed the PS3 has lost more than the PS2 earned. How is throwing more money down a hole a victory? I'm not seeing it.

why so angry?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
cjelly said:
How is 600,000 bad?

For what they probably paid for the license and all of the advertising..seems a bit underwhelming to me.

Like others have said, I think the music genre is in big trouble. Only a matter of time.

OrigJake78 said:
OMG you called me original fake. How clever!

Not going to challenge my facts? That's ok. Maybe next time.

dude...where did you come from? You are waaaayyy too eager to just be here for the sake of impartial discussion.

Zophar

OrigJake78 said:
OMG you called me original fake. How clever!

Not going to challenge my facts? That's ok. Maybe next time.
I challenged your "facts" and that shut you up pretty quickly.

Stopsign said:
That model has never been a successful business model. Microsoft and Sony have been trying this model for the last 10 years a piece and it really doesn't work unless you are the true market leader. Microsoft alone has lost $6bil with the Xbox and Sony has lost $3bil with the PS3. Nintendo obviously has the right model, as they sell lots of hardware for a profit, and the software is just the cherry on top. It's what kept them afloat during the Gamecube years.

Well, I never said it was a good model. :) Though I think it is working pretty well for MS as evident by their software revenue with Live and peripherals on top of it. The only reason it's not working well for Sony is because the console was too expensive for them to secure any kind of major install base in order to make the model work properly, though that may change in the future.

Keikoku

Banned
Pretty much what we expected I guess. Batman PS3 sales surprised though, was it advertised as a PS3 exclusive in the US or something ?

Anyway, I don't think that the good PS3 sales will last until october honestly...

inner-G

Banned
OrigJake78 said:
Actually on that you have a valid point. The "$53 Million" is just a worst case scenario. But you are right, and I graciously concede. There is no way of knowing exactly how many of the units sold were the PS3 Slim.

...Although I'd bet the vast majority were the new model. I'd also be willing to bet that a small percentage of those sales came from people who already owned the PS3.

(See Also: "Now with new hat.")

Either way, Sony lost a lot of money for a small victory over two opponents that have been klicking Sony's ass for the past 13 months straight. Seriously, that's no joke.

And when speaking of losses, some have claimed the PS3 has lost more than the PS2 earned. How is throwing more money down a hole a victory? I'm not seeing it.
2iggokm.jpg

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

I was just dropping in on a smoke break to say that this has been the most civil, fanboy bullshit free NPD thread I have ever seen.

and then I see this ...... 2/10

OrigJake78 said:
If you follow NPD sales topics then you already know that PS3 software doens't sell with the same fervor as 360, and sometimes, Wii software.

For example. ODST, which is just an overpriced, glorified expansion pack, sold more in 1 week than Killzone 2 sold in 9 months.

You really think that all that PS3 users will buy less than 5 PS3 games (and no controller, camera, PSN or PSX game, even Blurays, etc) in all the lifespan of the console?

BattleMonkey said:
Your speculating on speculated numbers conjured up by an analyst and deeming it facts now? :lol Stay classy Junior.

Isnt' that what GAF does every single month?

By their own admission NPD sales only cover 60% of the market. So this is all speculation.

The NPD Group’s total US numbers are based on reports from around 60 percent of US retailers.

NPD doesn't even cover Walmart. Aka, the biggest retailer in the world.

(In b4 claims that NPD estimates WM sales)

BattleMonkey said:
Agenda much?

His numbers are absurd but his point is quite valid. Although Sony (games) has repeatedly stated that their overall business is healthy it could certainly be healthier if they could sell the hardware at a profit. And if their 2 biggest competitors have been outselling them for over a year in the NA market with profitable machines then that puts them in an even worse position as far as their shareholders are concerned.

donny2112 said:
NeoGAF Aggregate - Sept 2009 NPD Hardware

1. NDS - 624K
2. PS3 - 419K
3. WII - 368K
4. 360 - 294K
5. PSP - 167K
6. PS2 - 110K

So comparing to GAF expectations....

Console Actual :: Units Compare (Percentage of expectations)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS2 146.0K :: +36.0k (+32.7% beyond expectations)
PS3 491.8K :: +72.8k (+17.3% beyond expectations)
PSP 190.4K :: +23.4k (+14.0% beyond expectations)
360 352.6K :: +58.6k (+19.9% beyond expectations)
WII 462.8K :: +94.8k (+25.7% beyond expectations)
NDS 524.2K :: +99.8k (+19.0% beyond expectations)

So we can see why people might say PS3 "didn't do as well as they expected" even though EVERY platform did better than expected. From this I think GAF expected more of a dominating performance over the Wii and 360, but the Wii exceeded expectations even more than the PS3 did.

Of course, the PS2 refuses to die and exceeded GAF expectations by quite a bit. :lol

obonicus

OrigJake78 said:
13 months down, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....

But what is your point? That PS3 is not going to recoup the losses they incurred in this generation? I think that's a given, at this point.

But I'd suggest you not talk about the cost of the PS3 in dollars, since that varies too much on currency. Use yen.

Otherwise, you're sorta arguing on half the information. You don't know the costs of the other consoles. Is your number good or bad? Is it normal? The Wii makes money, but no one has any idea about the 360 (I suspect the pro makes MS money, but I think the arcade is a lossleader, for instance). If you want to do armchair analysis, shouldn't you do some actual analysis, not just post figures and hope to get a rise from folks?

Zophar

OrigJake78 said:

KZ2 has been out 7 months you damned retard.

LCfiner

Str0ngStyle said:
I was just dropping in on a smoke break to say that this has been the most civil, fanboy bullshit free NPD thread I have ever seen.

you missed the inspiration for it. it’s not serious.

Zophar said:
KZ2 has been out 7 months you damned retard.

why do you keep calling people idiots or retards? chill, dude :lol

NPD time is fun time!

Keikoku said:
Anyway, I don't think that the good PS3 sales will last until october honestly...

With Holiday sales starting up around October everyone will be seeing boosts in sales. I'm sure sales will more or less equalize to what it was before but everyone should be seeing boosted sales. I would imagine PS3 and 360 will be very close to each other neck and neck, with Wii jumping ahead again.

PS3 did really good. With some good bundles it can maintain close to this numbers until end of the year. Uncharted 2 should help too. Wouldn't be surprised if Uncharted 2 is either 1st or 2nd next month.

360 holiday bundles announced so far are nothing but crap.

Kobun Heat said:
Hey guys: I didn't see this in the thread, but I have the total numbers for Rock Band Beatles and Guitar Hero 5 across all platforms:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/10/npd-september-ps3-on-top-beatles-beat-cobain/

Finally. Let's hope Tony Hawk Ride, DJ Hero, Band Hero fail too.

Str0ngStyle said:

Please, read the thread. There is an explanation for that post.

Microsoft isn't dead.

They're just, like, a 20-something living with their parents and totally unmotivated to ever do anything. They coast through school, but won't look for a job, and think everything will be better next year.

OrigJake78 said:

Your big mistake was opening with a post that was full of fiction. Although your argument is correct in my opinion, you destroyed your own credibility before you had even established it.

confused

Banned
Opiate said:
Guitar Hero III sold ~1.5 million in its first month in 2007. Does that put it in perspective?

Thanks, asked for those numbers a page back. What did previous RockBand games do ?

legend166

OrigJake78 said:
Isnt' that what GAF does every single month?

By their own admission NPD sales only cover 60% of the market. So this is all speculation.

NPD doesn't even cover Walmart. Aka, the biggest retailer in the world.

(In b4 claims that NPD estimates WM sales)

Never before do I wish I had the facepalm.gif at my disposal.

Oh well, I'm sure somebody will oblige.

schuelma said:
For what they probably paid for the license and all of the advertising..seems a bit underwhelming to me.

Like others have said, I think the music genre is in big trouble. Only a matter of time.

Time for some heavy innovation I say...not sure what that will be...maybe a move towards more actual music playing somehow?

I mean, I'm not expecting strings or something...but it seems that more can be done than just five buttons on a fret board.

Opiate said:
Guitar Hero III sold ~1.5 million in its first month in 2007. Does that put it in perspective?

Well, is not the same a game of the "Main Saga", that a specific band game (even if the band is Beatles). We should compare the units with GH Metallica, for example.

NeoGAF Prediction Aggregate vs NDP

1. NDS - 624K 524.2K
2. PS3 - 419K 491.8K
3. WII - 368K 462.8K
4. 360 - 294K 352.6K
5. PSP - 167K 190.4K
6. PS2 - 110K 146.0K

We basically low balled everything but DS. The industry went up this month much more than we thought. Good news for all!

Tiktaalik

cjelly said:
How is 600,000 bad?

It's not bad. I'm just saying that back over a year ago when the game was announced music games were selling crazy numbers month after month and my expectations for the title were really high. I've scaled my expectations way back since.

I don't know maybe I was the only person that thought Beatles would be a phenomenon, but I think it's pretty well noted that music games seem to be on the decline.

Whether they've just now lowered to stabilized and reasonable sales or whether they'll drop further is another question.

Top Bottom