• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Zophar said:
You have a fundamental lack of understanding in the "sell hardware at a loss" business model. Any losses in manufacturing are meant to be recouped through software and accessory sales. Microsoft has been doing the same thing since the original Xbox and nobody is bringing that up.

Well to be fair to him then, he did point out the lack of significant sony sales in the software side of things. Were you ignoring that? You can't have it both ways.

xbhaskarx

Everyone making "Game X not in top 10" comments should note that there is only an 80k difference between #3 and #10. There could very well be a few more games bunched together with those but just out of the top ten.

Hey guys: I didn't see this in the thread, but I have the total numbers for Rock Band Beatles and Guitar Hero 5 across all platforms:

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/10/npd-september-ps3-on-top-beatles-beat-cobain/

NPD added that The Beatles: Rock Band outsold Guitar Hero 5, saying that MTV’s Beatles game sold 595,000 units in total across the three platforms while Activision’s sequel sold 499,000 copies in total across its four platforms (which include PlayStation 2).

WinFonda

OrigJake78 said:
13 months, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....

When you can't even get that one data point correct with the numbers right in front of you, why should anyone believe you on the rest?

Its like every other post in this thread is "yay rock band"

I want to see GH5 sales TOTAL vs RB beatles sales TOTAL, not what made the top 10.

Edit: Never mind, there it is ^^^^. Consider me surprised.

I still say GH5 will win before the end of the year.

DMeisterJ

Banned
OrigJake78 said:
Really? Why is that?

Not going to challenge my statements? Only going to throw stones?

Good for you.

13 months down, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....
First off it's 2 in the top 10 and how the fuck do you know how much they're losing on a console? A link from a shady site, and speculation? Only SCE know how much they lose on each slim.

And if they sell more software and accessories as a result of the cut, then it more than pays for itself.

Please stop failing.

jamesinclair said:
Its like every other post in this thread is "yay rock band"

I want to see GH5 sales TOTAL vs RB beatles sales TOTAL, not what made the top 10.

The OP says that overall sales across all platforms, RB was 3rd, GH5 was 4th.

operon

Cosmozone said:
Finally, Xbox is where it belongs. Still sells too much, though. And it won't last long, I fear. But at least my lowly hater life is now a little brighter. :)
sad sad little man

EagleEyes

Patriotsbball5460 said:
RT @majornelson: #NPD numbers are in: PS3 and ODST did well in Sept: http://bit.ly/3EGwCD

Truly just a gamer.
Nice to see all the companies doing well. The 360 is just a beast with software and i'm sure that was a big reason it had the biggest piece of the cake last month in overall revenue.

LCfiner

Cosmozone said:
Finally, Xbox is where it belongs. Still sells too much, though. And it won't last long, I fear. But at least my lowly hater life is now a little brighter. :)

:lol

good stuff. The console ecosystem needs haters for the lifecycle to sustain itself. keep on keeping on.

as for the retail musings thread, it’s expected that there will be extreme cases in various stores and there’s a very limited sample size of musings in the thread. when you spread out the results across the country, you get much less extreme results.

I fully expect the psp go to have a nice bump to PSP sales next month. it’s not a firestarter but it’ll be a slow burn and push those numbers up for a while.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
EagleEyes said:
I can't believe the 360 was able to sell more this september than the price drop of last september. I sure wasn't expecting that.

Only 5-6k up on last year. I wouldn't consider that to be a notable uptick, I'd consider it to be fairly flat YoY. It's better value this year and at a point in its life where under normal circumstances a console should be selling more YoY anyway (although I accept that this gen hasn't really seen normal circumstances in a lot of ways in terms of lifecycle progress).

chubigans said:
Who cares? Honestly?

You and everyone posting in this topic. Seriously, isn't that what NPD day is all about? The battles, the drama, the sales facts.

chubigans said:
Sony throws $53 mil and gains half a million PS3 owners that will pump cash back into the Playstation market for the near future. Some companies throw $30-80 million on software title budgets alone and see no return on them (LAIR, Too Human) and they're not much worse for wear.

I don't see the logic in losing money. Especially when your losses are in the billions already.

MS is in the same boat. I'm sure Microsoft shareholders have questioned the company's entrance into the video game market. Especially back when the OG Xbox lost over 4 Billion Dollars. MS may have gained a little in this gen, but at what cost?

tl:dr = the whole industry is doomed

Although I know that it will still happen, I was seriously hoping that the slim would sell something absurd (read; holiday numbers in September) just because of the frothing it would have caused from all three major fanboy communities.

Taurus said:
And the scoreboards are updated:

Wii 30+ wins
Xbox 360 2 wins
PS3 1 win

Stay tuned for coming monthly NPD threads!

:lol

Snipes424 said:
So no 360 is doomed post, OMG? I've had to read those post about the PS3 for about a year now, I was hoping the same people would be saying the 360 is doomed now.

There's just not much doom to spread around this month, the only system that did shitty was the PSP (and hoo boy did it do shitty.)

Puck

Banned
OrigJake78 said:
The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.
origfake78 said:
Actually on that you have a valid point. The "$53 Million" is just a worst case scenario. But you are right, and I graciously concede. There is no way of knowing exactly how many of the units sold were the PS3 Slim.

...Although I'd bet the vast majority were the new model. I'd also be willing to bet that a small percentage of those sales came from people who already owned the PS3.

(See Also: "Now with new hat.")

Either way, Sony lost a lot of money for a small victory over two opponents that have been klicking Sony's ass for the past 13 months straight. Seriously, that's no joke.

And when speaking of losses, some have claimed the PS3 has lost more than the PS2 earned. How is throwing more money down a hole a victory? I'm not seeing it.

Now it makes sense.

aaron-greenberg.jpg

Those are pretty good ODST figures, and what a great month for the PS3 on the hardware front. Hopefully for them, Uncharted 2 might help the system carry some of that momentum until october.

Quixzlizx

elrechazao said:
Here's my predictions for yesterday, let's see how I did :lol
Dozens of pages of people claiming credit for "calling" what we've known for ages now
People proclaiming the death of the wii
People proclaiming the death of the 360
People claiming that the margin of victory is incredibly significant/insignificant
Guitar Hero fans pointing and laughing at the beatles or vice versa

Then people arguing the opposite of each of these arguments with the people who make them, over and over for pages.

Nostradamus reborn!

Doc Evils

OrigJake78 said:
Really? Why is that?

Good for you.

13 months down, $108 loss per system, only 1 PS3 game in the top 10, PS3 losses greater than PS2 earnings, there's more....

Say hi to Che when you see him at the office.

OrigJake78 said:
Really? Why is that?

Good for you.

Agenda much?

Taurus

Karma said:
October NPD is where the fun will be.
Agreed.

Can PS3 sustain its sales? Is Wii rising back to heaven? What does MS do now that it's been humiliated in its home soil? Stay tuned!

Snipes424 said:
So no 360 is doomed post, OMG? I've had to read those post about the PS3 for about a year now, I was hoping the same people would be saying the 360 is doomed now.
360 isn't doomed, it is officially dead and there is no reason to even bring it up.

Tiktaalik

Waaaay back when RockBand: Beatles was first announced and music games were appearing in the top 10s months after release I thought that the Beatles title would be the top selling game of Sept, doing over 1 million easily.

Over the rest of the year as it became apparent that the music genre was coming down to earth I of course revised that opinion. Even with lowered expectations though, Beatles seems low to me. I really expected better. Either the music game genre really is going out like a bad fad or there are less Beatles fans than I thought there were.

Zophar said:
You have a fundamental lack of understanding in the "sell hardware at a loss" business model. Any losses in manufacturing are meant to be recouped through software and accessory sales. Microsoft has been doing the same thing since the original Xbox and nobody is bringing that up.

Selling a console does not mean they are "losing money" by selling it. It's an investment by the manufacturer in the hopes that what the console is USED for will pay dividends.

That model has never been a successful business model. Microsoft and Sony have been trying this model for the last 10 years a piece and it really doesn't work unless you are the true market leader. Microsoft alone has lost $6bil with the Xbox and Sony has lost $3bil with the PS3. Nintendo obviously has the right model, as they sell lots of hardware for a profit, and the software is just the cherry on top. It's what kept them afloat during the Gamecube years.

OrigJake78 said:
You and everyone posting in this topic. Seriously, isn't that what NPD day is all about? The battles, the drama, the sales facts.

I don't see the logic in losing money. Especially when your losses are in the billions already.

MS is in the same boat. I'm sure Microsoft shareholders have questioned the company's entrance into the video game market. Especially back when the OG Xbox lost over 4 Billion Dollars. MS may have gained a little in this gen, but at what cost?

tl:dr = the whole industry is doomed

Just curious what you think sony should be doing at this point then.....not sell their consoles at all, so they don't take a loss on each one? Talk about missing the forest for the trees dude.

Opiate

I'm most surprised by the 360's stabilization. It still came in third, which why I presume less people are talking about it, but I expected the system to fare worse for two reasons: 1) Thus far, PS3 gains have meant 360 losses in terms of sales, and 2) Last year, there was a price cut, while this year, there was a sku shuffle.

Had the makings of a comparatively depressing month, but it was quite dandy.

OrigJake78 said:
Hey, call me a fanboy all you want. But at least try and challenge my facts.

If you can't do that then you're the only fanboy here, matey.

Wow, i hope that this junior reach soon the month/200 messages, or we'll lose a lot of fun when he'll get permabanned.

About Sony losing 100$ for each PS3... if all that people that bought a PS3 buy also 4 or 5 games (even less if they're first party) in all the lifespan of the console, in average, Sony won't be loosing anything, because the game royalties will make recover the lost money. And, well, I think that nearly all will end buying 4-5 games, at least.

You know that usually hardware is not economically worthy for the hardware consoles, but they gain the money with the royalties of the games, accesories, etc??

Liara T'Soni said:
I wonder what these sales would have been just 2 or 3 years ago before the full blown milking really hit full steam....

Still selling too much, we need them to tank further! Stop the milking!

LCfiner

Taurus said:
Agreed.

Can PS3 sustain its sales? Is Wii rising back to heaven? What does MS do now that it's been humiliated in its home soil? Stay tuned!

I figure this was an exaggeration for gaf drama but the software sales show the 360 wasn’t humiliated.

half the titles in the top ten are on the 360.

beaten, yes. but not embarrassed.

Amir0x said:
i was wondering when someone would quote the source. Damn that's a lot of confused posters!

of course, I don't see how anything that occurs in this month changed the central truth of what I said, but I suspect it'll be the end of the generation before the Sony warriors admit I was completely right in my assessment.

I was gonna say it but figured I'd let you back yourself up on that one.

RadarScope1 said:
This is one of the only months I've been interested in NPDs. Nice to see Sony getting some juice.

Anlco, get a fucking life.

You know that guy's been waiting 13 months to use that.

Tutomos said:
Is it really going to be only one month?

Probably.

CoG said:
"I thought the PS3 would do better" = new meme of the haters?

Personally, I was thinking at almost 600K. Mainly due to hype.

Jonsoncao

Banned
so here is my conclusion: M$ is dead, Xbots lost their last stronghold

as an xbot myself, I dun see the point of buying an xbox instead of ps3 slim unless you wanna play bungie shooters, of course this is for everyday gamers, but sales is another story since M$ willing to pay twice of the dev cost for ads, I am nearly bored of watching ODST commercial everywhere though I am a huge halo fan...

anyway congrats to SCE, finally the king is back!

Top Bottom