• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times:Trump’s Chief Strategist Says News Media Should ‘Keep Its Mouth Shut’

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been less than a week. If my Facebook feed is any indication, french are just starting to realize. Like, they have 15% of informations we know here on GAF. Most people thought he wouldn't do anything he said, some thought he was funny. Not anymore, I read a dozen of posts just today on how Trump is a narcissist psycho. Give it a couple of weeks and politics will start grabbing these voices.
Yeah it seems like no one outside GAF is seeing any of this shit. I'm plastering everything on Facebook at world record pace.

Zophar

Hubris will be these fuckers' downfall. I have to have faith that they're flying too close to the sun right now to get away with this shit.

The media's job is to report facts no matter who they bother or inconvenience.

The left whining about OPeds is not the same as the right whining about inconvenient truths or being called out for blatant lies.

Minor amendment, it is report 'news', which isn't necessarily the same as facts.

But I agree with you otherwise, this is a pretty 'unprecedented' onslaught of lies...It is bizarre. These guys are super easy targets, and yet nothing is sticking with part of the US population.

Lucael

I don't live in United States and know just a couple of things about the media system but just wondering... Maybe the media is not in touch anymore with that part of United States that voted for Trump and now he's using this to his advantage? Maybe a lack of representation had some weight on his election?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm just waiting for them to come out and label anyone who voted against them as the enemy.

This isn't already happening?

I don't live in United States and know just a couple of things about the media system but just wondering... Maybe the media is not in touch anymore with that part of United States that voted for Trump and now he's using this to his advantage? Maybe a lack of representation had some weight on his election?

That part of America has been manipulated over the course of decades to not believe any news, full-stop, that doesn't come from a handful of ultra-right propaganda sources. It isn't (entirely) the media's fault, because you can't reason with these people no matter what.

UberTag

Honestly at this point I'd take a military coup, it seems like it would be less of a shitshow than what we've got going on currently.

First week in office and I have never seen a presidential campaign off to a worse start.
A military coup to remove the President and the messengers of Breitbart from the White House is a "best case scenario" outcome right now.

I suspect it's not the outcome we'll be rewarded with.

Nester99

I'm reading words but all I hear is waaaaaaaaaaaa. This is a sign that the media is actually doing a good job covering Trump's adminstration.

I don't know.....cnns 4 hours investigation into how many people showed up at the integration seems ...useless.

People don't like trump? No shit you've been saying that for 18 months....

Media dropping the ball hard imo

Nelo Ice

Banned
I'm right there with you man. I want to shut it out, but I feel like that's just giving up.

I've been spending a good chunk of time playing games that put you in control, like Animal Crossing and Fantasy Life... where the ability to forge your own little paths and work on things can be a great boon for stabilizing my mental state. But when you turn them off and wake up the next morning, it is a fresh string of fuckery to read. And I do read it, because I'm both angry and want to be informed.

This year has started off really rough, but don't let it get you that low. You gotta fight.

Yeah playing games and watching movies I just get absorbed and forgot the pain of reality. And fuck I need to get back to studying coding and in general being productive again. Also need to applying for any job at this rate but I've been mentally crippled since the election.

Yeah it seems like no one outside GAF is seeing any of this shit. I'm plastering everything on Facebook at world record pace.

Same here. And I'm still getting shit like give the GOP a chance they're not all crazy stop being so close minded. Or stop freaking out you're being out of hand. Also I swear I was spamming like that before the election and clearly the message didn't get through.

Shadybiz

Christ I walk away from GAF for ONE hour, and look what happens...this and the 20% border tax..hard to keep up.

Who should I be subscribing to? I got the New York Times already

Washington Post is good. If you're a Amazon Prime member, there is a discount price. The Economist, while not US based, has pretty good coverage of what's going on, as well.

That's what Bannon and Trump want

Yep. They're high up enough that it doesn't matter to them. Control the masses and sew discord and fear and live off the profits / infighting.

The problem is so many people believe that if they allow these things to happen, one day they can be the people that do those kinds of things to other people.

Mr. F

Banned
Not American but wondering - has US press been pushing back in a noticeable way over the last week of fuckery? I'm wondering if this might embolden them to fight harder or if they might be discouraged out of fear of losing access (if that's a thing that can happen).

Jarmel

Banned
A civil war between who? Do you really think Trump has that many loyalists because he's Trump? He promised people free shit, they aren't going to take up arms to defend him.
I think it's less about Trump and more that his supporters feel backed up into a corner either from economic or social issues.

Not American but wondering - has US press been pushing back in a noticeable way over the last week of fuckery? I'm wondering if this might embolden them to fight harder or if they might be discouraged out of fear of losing access (if that's a thing that can happen).

Seems to be a mixture of defiance and flattery, from what I've watched.

"The White House press secretary is giving falsehoods. Check out how glamorous the Trump family dressed for inauguration! Watch them bowl!"

Glix

A civil war between who? Do you really think Trump has that many loyalists because he's Trump? He promised people free shit, they aren't going to take up arms to defend him.

You're crazy. Sorry to say it.

This isn't about Trump.

They will take up arms because they are tired of blacks and gays and others getting "special treatment"

i hope the stupid fucks at many of the news media outlets realize what they've helped accomplish. i'm sure those record profits for parroting the two-horse-race and they're-both-equally-bad-let's-wait-and-see narratives were worth this bullshit.

as far as i'm concerned, most of the main media outlets can fuck off. them finally digging their testicles out of the dark murky cheeto-infested reaches of trump's ass, this late in the game, doesn't mean jack shit. if they couldn't pull trump off his false-pedestal during his campaign for truth and the good of the american people, then trying to pull him down now after he's president and only when he goes after them themselves, it doesn't mean a thing to me.

obviously i'm still rooting for them for exposés and such and as a tool against the upcoming lite-facism, but their humanity (if they had any to begin with) is gone for me. it's gonna be a while to build it back up.

ps fuck steve "the literal cancer" bannon

Yeah all this fuckery has broken me. I tried recovering after the election by ignoring everything and drowning myself in entertainment like video games, movies etc. Then reality hit last week and the nightmare got real. Then it just got worse and worse.

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

Corny? Maybe. But true.

Avixph

This isn't about Trump.

They will take up arms because they are tired of blacks and gays and others getting "special treatment"
So they're going to get off their lazy assess and travel all the way to metropolitan areas just to shoot some minorities and LGBTQIA people?

This isn't about Trump.

You're right that it's about that.

But I don't know if an actual civil war is viable. This isn't like the actual civil war, where there was a clear demarcation between northern and southern states. Liberals and conservatives are scattered everywhere. Aside from individual scuffs, how are people going to mobilize into armies to fight each other?

They'll stick to bitching on the Internet and harassing Shia LeBouf.

This isn't about Trump.

I was going to argue that you are wrong, but you aren't. Not completely that is.

There's still some people who can be won over, though. We have to focus on them.

Cue internet smart, reasonable guy, "you could drown in that GAF hyperbole, you shouldn't use big words like fascism".

Things are really fucking dire.

Saerk

Not surprising. The media is now the number one enemy of the Trump administration. They want to discredit and dismantle it to replace it with their own. Bit like what happened in Russia.

Its like Putin gave the blueprint on how to stay in power to Trump administration, and they are following it to the T.

All part of the plan to make sure the only way the American public will be informed is through their own channels, so they can push whatever they want. Disgraceful.

The Republican Party should be ashamed of itself by even letting these fuckers in the White House.

Glix

You're right that it's about that.

But I don't know if an actual civil war is viable. This isn't like the actual civil war, where there was a clear demarcation between northern and southern states. Liberals and conservatives are scattered everywhere. Aside from individual scuffs, how are people going to mobilize into armies to fight each other?

They'll stick to bitching on the Internet and harassing Shia LeBouf.

Oh I agree its probably not viable.

I was just counterpointing the idea that these ppl wouldnt be willing to fight...

They are fucking spoiling for a fight. Licking their chops, as it were.

That part of America has been manipulated over the course of decades to not believe any news, full-stop, that doesn't come from a handful of ultra-right propaganda sources. It isn't (entirely) the media's fault, because you can't reason with these people no matter what.

How many media outlets supported Clinton openly ? It doesn't matter if this was correct or not because for people who heard about media bias it was proof they needed.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
He can say whatever he wants, won't make the media go away.

Toparaman

Banned
i hope the stupid fucks at many of the news media outlets realize what they've helped accomplish. i'm sure those record profits for parroting the two-horse-race and they're-both-equally-bad-let's-wait-and-see narratives were worth this bullshit.

as far as i'm concerned, most of the main media outlets can fuck off. them finally digging their testicles out of the dark murky cheeto-infested reaches of trump's ass, this late in the game, doesn't mean jack shit. if they couldn't pull trump off his false-pedestal during his campaign for truth and the good of the american people, then trying to pull him down now after he's president and only when he goes after them themselves, it doesn't mean a thing to me.

obviously i'm still rooting for them for exposés and such and as a tool against the upcoming lite-facism, but their humanity (if they had any to begin with) is gone for me. it's gonna be a while to build it back up.

ps fuck steve "the literal cancer" bannon

Nearly every major news outlet endorsed Hilary and/or condemned Trump. You're being intellectually dishonest and lazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom