• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Maddrical

i don't think it's in sony's nature to release super expensive electronics.

Haha, relevant tag.

Seriously though, this price makes the Sony VR price super interesting. I wasn't interested in it at all, but now I kind of am. It would make the wait for Oculus/Vive prices to go down a lot easier. I just want to experience VR.

Why are they holding an AMA now instead of doing a press conference last week? It's not like they're working out of someone's harage now. This seems kinda bizarre.
Last week 99% of the questions would have been "What is the price?" And their answers would have been "Wait until next week"

Jarmel

Banned
Last week 99% of the questions would be "What is the price?" And their answers would have been "Wait until next week"

They should have done a press conference explaining what people were getting, announce the price, and break it down a bit further. Just like what Apple, Microsoft, and Sony does.

It's not like the current scenario was going to be any better.

Yes, its expensive.

Yes, it totally worth the high cost

Yes, you will want one, even and even more.

And yes, the Vive will be priced if not the same, a little higher.

But I could of swore palmer was pushing cv1 to be cheap enough for "mainstream", which to me was enthusiasts that borderline high end PC gaming. But I think its clear he even over shot that market.
He touched on that in the AMA. Basically, at some point they realized that the world had changed. When they were going to be the only VR on the block, they wanted to be mainstream and affordable. Now that there's a $99 option, a soon-to-be PS4 option, and the Vive (which was announced as a high end option), there's already going to be a variety of price ranges for VR. Also, they realized that the 90fps that they needed was going to require a very expensive computer regardless of how expensive the headset was; when talking about a $1500 total cost, $200 isn't that big of a deal.

So they decided to change their strategy - instead of having a goal of an affordable VR system, they were going to target the best VR that current consumer technology could make, and play to Oculus' strengths. In my opinion this is where they went wrong - not in making that decision, but in not communicating that decision. People (including me) still thought they had the same old goal as before.

supergiz

Looks like the AMA is top post on Reddit right now. So far there have been a few interesting points he made like the quality of the audio drivers and what it would be comparable to.

Price doesn't bother me too much. I tried the CV1 during Oculus Connect 2 and it was definitely worth the hype.

Jabba

Banned
I'm excited for people who ordered to get their Oculus. I'm in the PSVR camp as I don't have higher end PC. The price of Oculus, makes my price wall go up on PSVR. It was $ 399, I'll go to $550.

flyingpiranha thanks for that link.

I mean that's what this is now. Which is fine for someone like me. I'll be able to save enough for this and even upgrade from 970 by April, which I think is the as of now store release date. I just don't want to buy this and then late 2017 see cv1 phased out. But as mentioned by another poster once killer features are plugged in I won't have a choice.

But I could of swore palmer was pushing cv1 to be cheap enough for "mainstream", which to me was enthusiasts that borderline high end PC gaming. But I think its clear he even over shot that market.

I'm jelly of the dk1 purchasers. But I'll be on this train soon enough.

He didn't overshoot that market.

He was pushing for a cheaper CV1, but he's mentioned just in the past year the landscape has completely changed. I understand that. It's much like Vizio dropping 3D support altogether for their TV lines in 2014, the landscape changed (I'm not comparing 3D tv's to VR, just an example of how technology shifts can be quick).

I also don't believe that they would introduce a new Rift creating a huge divide so quickly after a release. There is a LOT they need to accomplish in the next 2-3 years and fracturing their user base and what goodwill they have left won't be top on their list.

Also, for people not used to reddit, I always find it's easier to go to the user doing the AMA and look at their answers, a lot of the time they quote the questions but you can also just click "context" to see what they were responding too if they didn't:

https://www.reddit.com/user/palmerluckey

I'm honestly not even mad about the price. I accept that as with any new tech the early adopters will always pay a premium. It'll go down over time as the tech gets cheaper. Am I going to go out and buy one now? Nah, I need a new graphics card first. My 770 just isn't enough but also isn't old enough to justify a new card until the next batch of cards. Once the Pascal cards come out I'll upgrade to the 1070 or whatever it's called then I'll consider the Oculus depending on timing and finances at the time.

Give it a year and the price will probably go down a bit and there will be so much more content for it...not that I want to wait a year though...

Taken from Reddit
1.) What are your plans in the future to make this product more affordable to the average person?
Continue working with GPU and CPU manufacturers to optimize for VR, thus reducing the required hardware cost. Use economies of scale and the passage of time to reduce the cost of good enough PC hardware. For the average person, the PC is by far the biggest cost, not the headset - the end goal is to make sure people can use the PC they already have in most cases.

This in particular concerns me. I have the hardware but not the money to sink on the headset and it doesn't really sound like the price will be decreasing for a very long time.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
If the tech is solid then $599 isn't a deal breaker.

However, can somebody help me out. Is this compatible with XboxOne straight out the box or is that TBD? or neither?

Thanks guys.

If the tech is solid then $599 isn't a deal breaker.

However, can somebody help me out. Is this compatible with XboxOne straight out the box or is that TBD? or neither?

Thanks guys.
The XBox One can stream games to a virtual large-screen TV in a virtual space in the Rift; that is going to be available at launch. There will be no actual VR XBox One game support (I assume Microsoft wants to go all-in HoloLens eventually, and don't want to create a community of VR gamers that would eventually compete with that).

Ninja Dom

As someone who's never tried VR or keeps up-to-date on VR news, and have no idea which the best model out there is, this news has only killed my interest in the format. This truly is a prime example of the costs of being an early adopter. It gets even worse if you're outside of North America. The Rift total plus shipping is €742 in Europe, so a bit less than £550.. So if you want to be an early adopter you'll have to pay that and need a high-end gaming PC. Recommended specs are a 970. Fuck dat.

Looking forward to using VR in 2020 when it's cheaper and more refined.

Yup! This, right here!!

But I don't even have a Gaming PC. So I'm double out.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
$599? Hell no. While I am interested in VR I have zero interest at anything near that price point. I'll be waiting the VR craze out and late adopting I suppose, assuming it does well at all at prices like that.

I'm now glad I bought my TrackIR last year for a fraction of that cost instead of waiting to see how the Rift shaped up.

Stillmatic

Considering what it is, the tech, and it being the first big real retail VR headset $599 sounds about right (some international pricing is crazy though).

The shock factor is just that no one really expected it to actually be that much, even though it's pretty reasonable all things considered.

I do expect PSVR to be be between $299 and $399. Anything more and VR in general won't be taking off for a few years. Vive will be the most expensive, by a couple of hundred I think.

It's really in Sony's hands whether VR takes off this early, or if we have to wait a few years for version 2 of these headsets.

VillageBC

Well that is out of my price range for picking up at launch. I don't really have an issue with it though other than I hoped it would be cheaper. It's in the same ballpark of hi res, Hi refresh rate large monitors out there. Not unreasonable, though also out of many gamers price range.

SegaShack

I was never a big fan of VR but for everyone into it I feel your disappointment. This is way too much money for the thing to take off.

Soi-Fong

Considering what it is, the tech, and it being the first big real retail VR headset $599 sounds about right (some international pricing is crazy though).

The shock factor is just that no one really expected it to actually be that much, even though it's pretty reasonable all things considered.

I do expect PSVR to be be between $299 and $399. Anything more and VR in general won't be taking off for a few years. Vive will be the most expensive, by a couple of hundred I think.

It's really in Sony's hands whether VR takes off this early, or if we have to wait a few years for version 2 of these headsets.

Yup, a lot will depend on Sony and I think even they know this. Nobody will give a hoot how much better the Vive or Rift is if PSVR ends up being 200 or 300 dollars cheaper.

Bruno

Yup, a lot will depend on Sony and I think even they know this. Nobody will give a hoot how much better the Vive or Rift is if PSVR ends up being 200 or 300 dollars cheaper.

I don't know about all that. PSVR wont allow me to use my X52 Pro to play Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Has anyone mentioned the PC Rift bundle? I just got home from work so this whole thread is new.
Oculus said:
REu2jbE.jpg

Bundles that include an Oculus Ready PC and a Rift will be available for pre-order in February starting at $1499.

If you pre-order Rift today, you’ll be able to order an Oculus Ready PC at the special bundle price, and of course, your Rift ship date won’t change.
So a PC worth $900 can run the Rift well?

Jinroh

Meh they don't even ship to Switzerland. Very nice for people who ordered a previous version and are denied access to the new one.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
The XBox One can stream games to a virtual large-screen TV in a virtual space in the Rift; that is going to be available at launch. There will be no actual VR XBox One game support (I assume Microsoft wants to go all-in HoloLens eventually, and don't want to create a community of VR gamers that would eventually compete with that).

Thanks bro, I thought it was MS's product, like PSVR but I haven't been following. I saw the controller and incorrectly assumed compatibility.

Good looking.

At this price this simply won't sell, and I don't think they expect it to. If anything this is simply a proof-of-concept for VR. I'd be wary to adopt this early because of that, since I imagine they'll rush out a better one in 2 years or drop the price significantly.
I'm interested in what Sony's price point will be. My gut tells me $450. They'll undercut the OR, but I doubt they can afford to do that any lower than $450.

Steel

Banned
Has anyone mentioned the PC Rift bundle? I just got home from work so this whole thread is new.

A prebuilt PC worth $900 in this bundle can run the rift at recommended spec.

That being said, you can get it $100 cheaper if you build it yourself, but it's really not a bad deal.

Yes, you can build a machine for like $800 which meets the Rift's minimum requirements now. Just go on PCPartPicker and you'll be able to do it pretty easily.

At this price this simply won't sell, and I don't think they expect it to. If anything this is simply a proof-of-concept for VR. I'd be wary to adopt this early because of that, since I imagine they'll rush out a better one in 2 years or drop the price significantly.
I'm interested in what Sony's price point will be. My gut tells me $450. They'll undercut the OR, but I doubt they can afford to do that any lower than $450.

Obviously they're going to be cheaper. It has lower spec'ed components. Lower resolution screen, no built-in audio, and they exist in a walled garden where they need to certify all software which runs and gets a cut of every piece of software and so can likely take a larger loss because they have a more reliable revenue stream whereas Oculus doesn't block you from running software outside the Oculus store. It's going to be interesting comparing their tracking solutions as well to see which one is more accurate, lower latency, etc.

Angry Fork

Why do people keep mentioning Sony's VR when it's only for PS4? Oculus is too expensive for me so I'm gonna wait for a price drop but as far as I know there's no real PC alternative to Oculus.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I forgot to ask EviLore about the consumer model he demoed. Does Tyler still wear glasses? I was wondering how that model works with glasses.

Bsigg12

Why do people keep mentioning Sony's VR when it's only for PS4? Oculus is too expensive for me so I'm gonna wait for a price drop but as far as I know there's no real PC alternative to Oculus.

There is, it's the Vive, but it'll be even more expensive in all likelihood.

I think a bigger issue is the distribution model. If you want exposure, you need a retail presence both online like Amazon/Newegg and in store like Walmart. Oculus isn't well known and their storefront doesn't cut it.

Top Bottom