• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I'm scared that following versions won't really get much cheaper, just have better innards and tech at the same high price.

I'd fully expect that, but then you can buy someones second hand CV1. Its not perfect, but there will be options to get VR cheaper at some point.

I'd fully expect that, but then you can buy someones second hand CV1. Its not perfect, but there will be options to get VR cheaper at some point.

Even though this iteration of vr is more akin to early days of 3d graphics cards, the amount of hmds that are gonna be piling up in a few years is reminding me of all the pong consoles in the 70s and 80s. Enthusiasts are gonna be able to make their own mini museum exhibit xD

Dineren

Banned
If you have many USB ports, disabling the problematic one from the device manager seemed to pass the test for me. This just means that you just need to plug the rift on your non-problematic ports and put your other devices on the ones that are incompatible with the rift.

All my ports are compatible, I just have too many devices. I hate swapping stuff out and if this thing really needs 4 usb ports I'd be doing that all the time.

No offense to the adopters but this price just put be out of VR completly, and I wasnt really into it, in the first place, cause for me gaming has become something social...and this kinda annihilates it and that at a 599$ price-tag? Wow.

Maybe if Sony gets it right AND the price is beneath the price of the PS4 (i wouldnt pay more for a peripheral than for the console) it can get mass market appeal, but right now, I dont think so...

I'm scared that following versions won't really get much cheaper, just have better innards and tech at the same high price.

It'll probably work like smartphones, there's the new high end model around the same price point every year and then they sell old technology in a slightly different package at a cheaper price.

1012567_10102582589092551_1129291640220308368_n.jpg

It appears they changed the store posting. It no longer says shipping in June. It now just says a vague Shipping in Q2

Yeesh, very curious to see what their order total is for first day. As I mentioned elsewhere their messaging a ways back on building stock for cv1 was that it would be ample and wait time for delivery wouldn't be as much of an issue as it was with the devkits. I'm guessing either said stock hasn't actually been built up, or they severely underestimated demand. Probably a bit of both going by this tweet earlier today:

JDJWhxI.jpg

Yeesh, very curious to see what their order total is for first day. As I mentioned elsewhere their messaging a ways back on building stock for cv1 was that it would be ample and wait time for delivery wouldn't be as much of an issue as it was with the devkits. I'm guessing either said stock hasn't actually been built up, or they severely underestimated demand. Probably a bit of both going by this tweet earlier today:

JDJWhxI.jpg

Yeah, I get the feeling this is selling. A LOT

What would be a lot? I think a range of 10.000 would already be a lot...

I have no idea, as I have no idea what expectations are. I simply mean I get the feeling its exceeding their expectations considering we are now seeing posting like vague Q2 and we are already backordered at this point for months

dk_

People preorder, because they don't need to pay yet. Thery will be plenty who cancel it for sure when the initial preorder hype wears off.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have no idea, as I have no idea what expectations are. I simply mean I get the feeling its exceeding their expectations considering we are now seeing posting like vague Q2 and we are already backordered at this point for months

That doesn't mean anything though.

People preorder, because they don't need to pay yet. Thery will be plenty who cancel it for sure when the initial preorder hype wears off.

Yeah this has entered my mind as well, prob a lot of spammy "why the hell not" impulse pre-orders in there that will scale back by quite a bit the closer it gets to launch. I'm surprised they didn't at least do a $50 authorization to make sure payment info is legit. Or maybe they did I dunno...I'm part of the KS crowd.

Its like $1200 AUS, no way could I pay for that.

Whether you can afford it or not is not my point. I can't either. My point is that I can see why this thing costs so much. For that reason, I don't really have an issue with it being $1200 here in Australia.

The first generation of any hardware like this is always prohibitively expensive for the majority of people. This is no different. The price will only come down and the quality of the experience will go up.

Haint

JDJWhxI.jpg

It's a bogus number regardless. Doing zero down preorders was a really bad idea if they actually wanted to gauge interest and adjust manufacturing capacity (which I'm assuming was the goal, 4 months in advance). It might as well be a "sign up for email updates" list cause the majority of todays orders will be canceled as March 28th approaches and that $680 charge threatens to materialize.

Preorders don't really mean anything, even Wii U broke some records back then and now look at it. I still think that VR will be big, but not huge in the near future. Happy for the people with enough money for a good PC and a Rift!

YuShtink

The dks were a lot cheaper or am I wrong?

They were cheaper but also not nearly as good as the consumer rift will be. This is the real deal with actual finished software ready Day 1. If anything more people are going to come to their senses after the initial sticker shock and realize how good of a deal it actually is, and end up pre-ordering late and regretting their initial hesitation. It's going be really hard to get a Rift until summer at least, I guarantee it.

KHarvey16

Doing zero down preorders was a really bad idea if they actually wanted to gauge interest and adjust manufacturing capacity (which I'm assuming was the goal, 4 months in advance). It might as well be a "sign up for email updates" list cause the majority of todays orders will be canceled as March 28th approaches and that $680 charge threatens to materialize.

Lol, a majority? What the hell are you basing this on other than tales from your ass?

It'll probably work like smartphones, there's the new high end model around the same price point every year and then they sell old technology in a slightly different package at a cheaper price.

They would like for it to work like that but the truth is that it can't work like that as VR stands now.

Not sure why some think will only ship some small numbers, wouldnt be surprised if the number alone before sales is like 20k on launch (7k to backers, 13k more for promo/instore display/reviews/devs)
Already pumped 10s of millions into this project

anothertech

They're not exactly going to say otherwise, irrespective of the price. Not that I'm disagreeing mind. Fact that it has an OLED screen is great in itself.
Ya, it was more the tone of his responses. There was no PR spin as would be expected from lash out at the pricing. He was very down to earth about it, and apologetic. A billion dollar company response is never apologetic.

Not much real info about specs and such, but he literally answered the hard questions first and it was worded in a very believable way and sounded like he knew what he was talking about which was quite refreshing. Made the 'we're not selling this for profit' easier to swallow and actually makes the device much more exciting to me. This product could have easily sold for $1k+ if a normal price were applied it sounds like.

If his answers were just pr drivel, my reaction would have been the opposite.

PerZona

Definitely waiting for a price drop in the next 2 years or so after the Rift is released. The PS VR should be around that price range, probably 399 USD but with the PS Camera and 2 Move controllers...well I expect it would be close to the Rift's price.

YuShtink

Ya, it was more the tone of his responses. There was no PR spin as would be expected from lash out at the pricing. He was very down to earth about it, and apologetic. A billion dollar company response is never apologetic.

Not much real info about specs and such, but he literally answered the hard questions first and it was worded in a very believable way and sounded like he knew what he was talking about which was quite refreshing. Made the 'we're not selling this for profit' easier to swallow and actually makes the device much more exciting to me. This product could have easily sold for $1k+ if a normal price were applied it sounds like.

If his answers were just pr drivel, my reaction would have been the opposite.

Palmer takes a lot of crap for selling to Facebook but he seems like a genuinely good dude. He posts pretty regularly on the Oculus subreddit and mixes it up with the VR geeks. He spent hours trying to explain himself to the Valve fanboys over on /r/pcmasterrace that Oculus wasn't just moneyhatting existing VR games for exclusives. He always gives great, informative interviews and exudes enthusiasm. He doesn't take himself seriously at all. I wish there were more company reps like Palmer. He's a breath of fresh air.

Palmer takes a lot of crap for selling to Facebook but he seems like a genuinely good dude. He posts pretty regularly on the Oculus subreddit and mixes it up with the VR geeks. He spent hours trying to explain himself to the Valve fanboys over on /r/pcmasterrace that Oculus wasn't just moneyhatting existing VR games for exclusives. He always gives great, informative interviews and exudes enthusiasm. He doesn't take himself seriously at all. I wish there were more company reps like Palmer. He's a breath of fresh air.

It's like Facebook swooped in and everyone forgot that Palmer Luckey started out as a guy who hacked together LCD screens in his garage for fun. That was how he started in VR. The 9,522 of us who backed his original KS for the Rift DK1 basically believed in his vision because he met The Carmack and they got along well and Carmack judged that Palmer was a guy who could make it happen. And he did in the end. But he's still the same nerd who was soldering his own bits together in a garage to make his first VR headsets, in that regard he's a lot more like Carmack than he is like Steve Jobs or somebody.

Top Bottom