• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

Blastoise

Banned
Oculus is banking on Gen 1 to last at least 3 years.

There is no reason for me to rush in and buy. I will happily wait and see how reviews turn out, and what the market dictates.

TheFatOne

There is, it's the Vive, but it'll be even more expensive in all likelihood.

People keep saying this, but I'm not so sure anymore. If they get the Vive out at the same exact price or 100-150$ more then the Rift then Palmer Luckey and the gang are in some deep shit.

Iced Arcade

Loled then I realized the price here in Canada and collapsed.

Sony can'take afford to take a loss and HTC can't afford to take a loss.

Welcome VR future!

Bsigg12

People keep saying this, but I'm not so sure anymore. If they get the Vive out at the same exact price or 100-150$ more then Palmer Luckey and the gang are in some deep shit.

If everything he is saying about them selling it at cost is true, I can't see how HTC could possibly offer the Vive at that range considering it has similar specs and also includes the Lighthouses and controllers.

I think a bigger issue is the distribution model. If you want exposure, you need a retail presence both online like Amazon/Newegg and in store like Walmart. Oculus isn't well known and their storefront doesn't cut it.
Oculus doesn't want to be in Walmart. You need a >$1000 desktop PC with a GTX 970 to run it. If the headset is in a store like Walmart people are going to buy it thinking it's standalone or can be hooked up to their laptop or iMac or whatever, then return it.

They did announce they will be doing a limited retail release in April, I'd expect demo stations in Best Buy manned by a company representative who will be able to help people avoid mistaken purchases. I think it will go up on Amazon later this year too.

cheezcake

Yup, a lot will depend on Sony and I think even they know this. Nobody will give a hoot how much better the Vive or Rift is if PSVR ends up being 200 or 300 dollars cheaper.

I will, and so will many others. Got no interest in supporting a developing computing platform in a closed software ecosystem and on fixed hardware.

TheFatOne

If everything he is saying about them selling it at cost is true, I can't how HTC could possibly offer the Vive at that range considering it has similar specs and also includes the Lighthouses and controllers.

One thing I was thinking about was the difference in where they are manufactured. Oculus is manufactured in the U.S if I remember correctly. The Vive will be manufactured in Taiwan in HTC owned factories. I wonder if that could make things cheaper for HTC, but I really don't know anything about manufacturing.

One thing I was thinking about was the difference in where they are manufactured. Oculus is manufactured in the U.S if I remember correctly. The Vive will be manufactured in Taiwan in HTC owned factories. I wonder if that could make things cheaper for HTC, but I really don't know anything about manufacturing.
Naw, Oculus Rift is manufactured in China, the Oculus Connect 2 video about how they created the Consumer Rift talked about going there for the start of the production.

Oculus doesn't want to be in Walmart. You need a >$1000 desktop PC with a GTX 970 to run it. If the headset is in a store like Walmart people are going to buy it thinking it's standalone or can be hooked up to their laptop or iMac or whatever, then return it.

They did announce they will be doing a limited retail release in April, I'd expect demo stations in Best Buy manned by a company representative who will be able to help people avoid mistaken purchases. I think it will go up on Amazon later this year too.

Just throwing out a brick and mortar name. Most likely it would be Best Buy and/or Gamestop. The point is they need the backing of retailers that people trust giving their money to. Also asking people to invest in VR without a physical demo is a tough sell.

People keep saying this, but I'm not so sure anymore. If they get the Vive out at the same exact price or 100-150$ more then the Rift then Palmer Luckey and the gang are in some deep shit.
HTC early on said the Vive would be priced at "a premium price for the premium VR experience", so expect it to be more expensive. I dunno why you think if it's at the same price then Oculus is in for deep shit.

TheFatOne

Naw, Oculus Rift is manufactured in China, the Oculus Connect 2 video about how they created the Consumer Rift talked about going there for the start of the production.

Ahhh I missed that one. Going to have make a note for myself to find that info tomorrow thanks.
HTC early on said the Vive would be priced at "a premium price for the premium VR experience", so expect it to be more expensive. I dunno why you think if it's at the same price then Oculus is in for deep shit.

Because the Rift right now is 599 and I'm starting to believe the controller is going to be 150$ or more. The advantage the Rift was going to have over the Vive was price. Rift doesn't have a company like Valve either. Valve already has a more mature infrastructer when it comes to creating content. Of the three the Rift is clearly in the weakest position with the ability to create content.

RE4PRR

Yeah and that was back when Palmer made everyone think the Rift would be at least $350.

HTC could pull off a winner and price it even only $50 cheaper. End of the day it's still cheaper.

cheezcake

Yeah and that was back when Palmer made everyone think the Rift would be at least $350.

HTC could pull off a winner and price it even only $50 cheaper. End of the day it's still cheaper.

Given the similarity in specs I'm sure HTC had a very accurate estimate for the Rifts final cost, no chance they were thinking it would launch anywhere near $350.

Sold all the way through till June now. Thats 4 months worth of stock. Holy shit.

I'm curious how many of these have been pre ordered now

Sinoox

Banned
If I were rich I would buy it, but 99% of people aren't. This is only going to appeal to enthusiasts. They're simply trying to give the best experience for the introduction to consumer VR, I understand that. They really need to make a middle ground though. There's just no reason not to have something that's more viable for the average consumer. That's something they wanted initially, but look how it wound up. Facebook probably doesn't give a shit though. Their money can afford them to make an infinite amount of costly mistakes like this.

VR will take off, but not like this. They've got to at least try to make it economically feasible for it to be adopted widespread. I feel like they will in the long run though; this release is probably just designed to play into the hype. Next generation VR has to be better and cheaper.

Because the Rift right now is 599 and I'm starting to believe the controller is going to be 150$ or more. The advantage the Rift was going to have over the Vive was price. Rift doesn't have a company like Valve either. Valve already has a more mature infrastructer when it comes to creating content. Of the three the Rift is clearly in the weakest position with the ability to create content.

Valve hasn't shown anything developed for VR yet beyond tech demos and they haven't exactly been pumping games out lately, while Oculus is funding a bunch of stuff. I'm sure Valve at least has some partnerships in the works but, even then, there's no reason whatever they come up with can't be used on Rift eventually. Even room scale stuff will likely be able to work on Rift with a second sensor even if the tracking won't be as good. Vice versa for any Rift "exclusive" stuff. People will figure it out. That's the main advantage of PC.

RE4PRR

Given the similarity in specs I'm sure HTC had a very accurate estimate for the Rifts final cost, no chance they were thinking it would launch anywhere near $350.

Oh I completely agree, which is why they said it would be at premium price, but we may end up finding out that their premium isn't so far off Oculus as some may think. You combine the Touch price with the Rift and compare that to the Hive which will have its own controllers included in price, I can see them being quite close. The camera on the front may drive it up more now though.

cheezcake

Oh I completely agree, which is why they said it would be at premium price, but we may end up finding out that their premium isn't so far off Oculus as some may think. You combine the Touch price with the Rift and compare that to the Hive which will have its own controllers included in price, I can see them being quite close. The camera on the front may drive it up more now though.

Ah I see what you mean, absolutely a possibility. I definitely know I'm considering a Vive stronger than I was before.

lol and people complained about the price

No doubt its not affecting early adopters like myself at all. I knew VR would be expensive and I knew I was willing to pay for it after trying VR for myself back in August.

That said long terms the price has to come down, but damn all the way till June for shipments now. Its obviously selling to the base that want it very well

Keep in mind they're not going to sell the Vive at cost either. HTC has to make their money somewhere and I guarantee they're not banking it all on an online store.

Tainted

No matter how hard I try, I cant seem to get all ticks :(

SNgTJ0E.jpg

Wallach

Just as a heads-up, if you (like me and apparently quite a few others who were there at the outset this morning) did not get a confirmation e-mail and you don't see a price in your listing on the site's order history, apparently there was a period where the site was failing to calculate the tax/shipping due to load. Support rep posted as much on Reddit here. Says that so long as you have a order # then you should be good and they're going to go through the database tonight and correct the orders affected, and should be fixed by tomorrow.

YuShtink

No doubt its not affecting early adopters like myself at all. I knew VR would be expensive and I knew I was willing to pay for it after trying VR for myself back in August.

That said long terms the price has to come down, but damn all the way till June for shipments now. Its obviously selling to the base that want it very well

No one in their right mind is going to cancel their pre-orders either, especially with orders filled through June. Rifts will be going for a PRETTY PENNY on Ebay come March and April they are out in the wild and newbies start discovering them. Even if you end up not wanting it you might as well keep the pre-order and make a shitload of cash.

DK2's were going for $1200 in summer 2014 when new orders weren't slated to ship until September. And that was with a $350 device.

There's no way the vive with 2 controllers and lighthouses cost less than a rift. I predict around 600-700 pounds, 700-900 dollars

Haunted

I'm scared that following versions won't really get much cheaper, just have better innards and tech at the same high price.

ShinMaruku

I'm scared that following versions won't really get much cheaper, just have better innards and tech at the same high price.

Price will most certainly go down if they use the right parts and after a point the better innards will have lower prices regardless.

However it's not some forgone conclusion than the prices will drop at a rate for the laggards to adopt it. This is more of what software is there for it. Given what people seem to want, could be very slapdash. Medical software, training software, those could be hot.

KHarvey16

That's definitely possible early on, but one benefit of better tech in the headset is perhaps less of a reliance on top shelf hardware in the PC.

nib95

Banned
Feeling better about my preorder after Lucky's AMA. Glad they went with best headset possible than cheapest headset possible.

They're not exactly going to say otherwise, irrespective of the price. Not that I'm disagreeing mind. Fact that it has an OLED screen is great in itself.

Oculus is banking on Gen 1 to last at least 3 years.

There is no reason for me to rush in and buy. I will happily wait and see how reviews turn out, and what the market dictates.

It's the exact opposite. Oculus has already said they are going to iterate on the hardware as fast as possible. Gen 1 will last 18 months max.

Wallach

I would expect that for quite a while (maybe ~2020 at least), but I think VR's focus is going to be about getting the device to viably work on more and more PCs rather than bringing the cost of the HMD down (and potentially the quality of the VR itself) while still relying on very powerful gaming PCs.

trs1080

Neo Member
Eh, I'm in. I'm not a frequent early adopter but I liken it to the time I bought a 34" CRT HDTV for $1900 in the early-mid 2000s. I've also spent about $600 on a Sony NEX camera lens. I don't regret those purchases and /probably/ won't regret this one from what I've heard. I'm ready to jack in come April.

On another note, their compatibility tester utility claims my i7-3930k isn't good enough and suggests I get an i5 CPU. That seems weird and I don't believe it to be true.

Wow, that's much higher than I expected. It's not that surprising considering the tech and all, but 599$ is really expensive. Good luck Oculus and Facebook.

Dineren

Banned
Hopefully the oculus touch is something they will have a good amount of. I accidentally clicked off the order confirmation screen without submitting my reservation for it. I contacted support, but who knows if they will be able to add me to the list after the fact.

Hawk269

Feeling better about my preorder after Lucky's AMA. Glad they went with best headset possible than cheapest headset possible.

Same. Placed my pre-order after reading all the AMA stuff. I still want to know more about some of the specs, per eye resolution etc., but decided that pre-ordering would be risk free. I will have about a month of reviews and user impressions before mine ships, so I will have time to cancel if needed.

Hawk269

Eh, I'm in. I'm not a frequent early adopter but I liken it to the time I bought a 34" CRT HDTV for $1900 in the early-mid 2000s. I've also spent about $600 on a Sony NEX camera lens. I don't regret those purchases and /probably/ won't regret this one from what I've heard. I'm ready to jack in come April.

On another note, their compatibility tester utility claims my i7-3930k isn't good enough and suggests I get an i5 CPU. That seems weird and I don't believe it to be true.

Yeah, it failed for me too and I have the same processor as you and my CPU is OC to 4.8. I know Palmer said that scoring over 9000 points in 3dmark11 Firestrike 1.1 is a good indication, so I am sure I will be fine since I came in with a score of 28,500 (2xTitan X).

Mine also failed due to my Asmedia 3.0 ports, but some folks are saying I will be fine as well.

Dineren

Banned
Palmer also said in the AMA that they won't be artificially restricting the use of computers that don't meet the specs of the Oculus. So even if the hardware isn't recognized there won't be any problems as long as it can perform.

I'm kind of glad that the USB thing has been coming up. It reminded me how annoyed I've been having to swap devices so I went ahead and ordered that USB card they recommended so I don't have to deal with that.

Top Bottom