• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift available for preorder for $599.99, shipping in March

cheezcake

quality experience don't have anything to do with the prices at all, buying a PC is literally a lottery for the great majority of people... and the worst part? Each year specs get "better", machines multiply the power and capacity of products that came out just few years ago, and still... they have the exact same problems, if not worse... all that power and progress means nothing, because it's never truly applied or realized...

I have absolutely no idea where you're getting that impression from. Why is buying a PC "literally a lottery"? And are you actually complaining that hardware progresses at a fast rate? "they have the exact same problems", what problems are you even talking about?

Impulsor

Yeah I had that too. I was ready to order it and entered all the informations 5 minutes past the start and managed to do it 40 minutes later -.-

I got the same message. Maybe it also depends on your region? Let's say 90% of the orders in the first 60 minutes are from US customers then there should be a high chance for Germany to get it earlier with later order date?

It was 16:00 here in Spain when the preorders went live, so I'd say that there's a high chance preorders are pretty well distributed around the globe. I received confirmation emial of my order at 16:09.

Donos

Tsj7PQy.gif

lmao:p

That's a good one, gotta love this from r/oculus with the tag "Those of us still aboard the hype train"...

EO_Train_bar.jpg

These are good.

Somehow hype is rising in me although i'm not going to get any of the VR solution for the next two years. But i'm exited that the release of consumer VR is so close now.

So, about the compatibility test - it states that my CPU is outdated yada yada (it's a severely overclocked 2500K) but I can pretty much assume it will be up to the task when matched with a strong GPU, right?

ISee

Reading all those 'PSVR' will save VR, because of a lower price posts. Is it really just about the price?

I played around with a DK2 on my brothers PC this december for a couple of hours and yes it was impressive, but image quality, motion sickness (goes away after some time) and usability was disastrous.
A DK2 even for 350 bucks isn't a good enough experience to justify buying it. So in a way I really understand their strategy to go from one to two better screens, and improve refresh rates. Hopefully it worked and they were able to improve image quality drastically or people will have a bad and unsatisfying time with it. That said some DK2 demos were very impressive and flawlessly working VR is the future, I have no doubt about that but maybe it's still too early for that.

And that's the real challenge PSVR has to overcome if it wants to be the Nr.1 VR 'thing'. Make it work flawlessly. A bad product will stay bad forever and people will put it off as a useless gimmick. And that might be even more damaging to the VR hype then a high price.

So, about the compatibility test - it states that my CPU is outdated yada yada (it's a severely overclocked 2500K) but I can pretty much assume it will be up to the task when matched with a strong GPU, right?

Most probably (a.k.a. yes).

Etemon

Banned
I have absolutely no idea where you're getting that impression from. Why is buying a PC "literally a lottery"? And are you actually complaining that hardware progresses at a fast rate? "they have the exact same problems", what problems are you even talking about?

My PC experience is one of the worst ones you could ever imagine. But I don't really talk about this matter with my experience in mind, but with what I saw all my life outside of it. In short, if hardware progress is not applied, and doesn't translate into solving the problems the old machines had... where really is the point? Yeah. "Graphics"...

Problems? First of all, why when I right-click on something it doesn't immediately pop up? I could go on all day, lol. Don't even get me started with Windows' problems. Point is we have an environment where user experience is the last priority... and I think that's a big, horrendously ugly problem that we have to deal with at some point.

HPX

The context is different here, video games aren't cheap to make while producing a DVD out of a cinema movie which already got its return on investment via ticket selling and VHS sales isn't a big risk.

Wouldn't the audiocard & graphic card fit here then? Both cost a nice sum at the beginning, especially the audio card. But sure, developing a 3D game back then might have been a bit cheaper than now.

cheezcake

Yes. My 2500k OC'ed to 4.3GHz gets 7725 on passmark, 4590 gets 7211.

My PC experience is one of the worst ones you could ever imagine. But I don't really talk about this matter with my experience in mind, but with what I saw all my life outside of it. In short, if hardware progress is not applied, and doesn't translate into solving the problems the old machines had... where really is the point? Yeah. "Graphics"...

Problems? First of all, why when I right-click on something it doesn't immediately pop up? I could go on all day, lol. Don't even get me started with Windows' problems. Point is we have an environment where user experience is the last priority... and I think that's a big, horrendously ugly problem that we have to deal with at some point.

Sounds like you had a bad experience which sucks, it's unfair to point to it being a universal issue though. My PC is going on 5 years old, I've had two upgrades put in it (SSD and new Graphics Card). I've reformatted twice in its lifetime (of my own volition not because something screwed up) and it still works absolutely top notch.

For 599$...no thanks...
I'll wait to see Sony offer then will decide Samsung VR or Sony VR.

If you already have a Samsung phone that works, grabbing a $99 Gear VR headset is a no-brainer, even if you get something else later. it's a more lightweight experience, but still leagues above Cardboard or anything, and there's something nice about being untethered.

If you're buying from scratch exclusively for VR, between those two, Sony's probably going to be your best bet.

Etemon

Banned
Sounds like you had a bad experience which sucks, it's unfair to point to it being a universal issue though. My PC is going on 5 years old, I've had two upgrades put in it (SSD and new Graphics Card). I've reformatted twice in its lifetime (of my own volition not because something screwed up) and it still works absolutely top notch.

Did you build it? Or just bought it casually?
I precisely mention it's a lottery for everyone who can't look for one themselves, knowing what all the specs mean and their implications. Of course a PC enthusiast can find a good machine, but the 90% left...?

And I reiterate I don't have my experience into account. I'm unlucky, but not THAT unlucky... I'm firmly convinced there is a serious problem about the industry and explained my reasoning.

Jinjo

You'd think after the whole PS3 pricing scandal companies in gaming would avoid the $599 pricepoint as to not get ridiculed. Guess not everyone is as smart.

Impulsor

Got an answer from support. Modifying order info like shipping address and the such will not affect the shipment date.

Yay!

newsguy

If you already have a Samsung phone that works, grabbing a $99 Gear VR headset is a no-brainer, even if you get something else later. it's a more lightweight experience, but still leagues above Cardboard or anything, and there's something nice about being untethered.

If you're buying from scratch exclusively for VR, between those two, Sony's probably going to be your best bet.

I don't know. I have an S6. I tried it at Best Buy and found the resolution to be unacceptable. I watched a few of the short films in the Oculous theater and they were such poor resolution it made my eyes water. I really feel the screen res has to be so sharp and crystal clear to get that immersive experience people want. Screendoor and blurriness have a big impact on taking you out of the experience.

Sorc3r3r

It could be even a relative fair price, but it's a fast evolving tech, around the corner there could be solution to get a cheaper and better experience.

What I'm saying is that in a year a 599 OR could be worthless and totally outdated due to technology breakthroughs.

Btw it was clear from the start that the attempt to bring VR to the mass market was from Sony and for the sake of VR tech let's hope that they'll price their headset way low than that.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
You'd think after the whole PS3 pricing scandal companies in gaming would avoid the $599 pricepoint as to not get ridiculed. Guess not everyone is as smart.
The thing that gets me is how people not only defend the price point, but also belittle people who think it's way too expensive for VR to get mainstream attention. If even in a gaming enthusiast forum like GAF the vast majority of posts go "WTF", then there's clearly an issue with the price tag.

IDK, my guess was 579 back then, and I'm close, but I still think that it's way more expensive than it should be, for what it's trying to do.

And yes, for that price, I for sure won't bite and wait for the competition's announcements. If my predictions of 250-350 depending on the set for PSVR, and 899 for Vive are right, I'll surely settle for Sony.

It will probably get lost in the pantomime chorus of "it's too expensive!" versus "oh no it's not!"...but something to bear in mind is how the cost may trend downwards over time.

The electronics will go down pretty steeply, the screens will probably drop in price similar to TVs...but the optics...? Look at camera lenses - the price drops very slowly indeed, and they only get hardware revisions every few years.

Quality/clever optics always seem to cost a lot of money...

cheezcake

Did you build it? Or just bought it casually?
I precisely mention it's a lottery for everyone who can't look for one themselves, knowing what all the specs mean and their implications. Of course a PC enthusiast can find a good machine, but the 90% left...?

And I reiterate I don't have my experience into account. I'm unlucky, but not THAT unlucky... I'm firmly convinced there is a serious problem about the industry and explained my reasoning.

Build.

Venfayth

I can't even change my shipping address, the page just hangs while processing. Given that I did not receive a confirmation e-mail it concerns me. I'm also in the 29 group. If I have to lose that spot I'm going to be disheartened. Needless to say, I still have not had my support ticket answered.

ISee

It will probably get lost in the pantomime chorus of "it's too expensive!" versus "oh no it's not!"...but something to bear in mind is how the cost may trend downwards over time.

The electronics will go down pretty steeply, the screens will probably drop in price similar to TVs...but the optics...? Look at camera lenses - the price drops very slowly indeed, and they only get hardware revisions every few years.

Quality/clever optics always seem to cost a lot of money...

450-500 might be doable in a year if the manage to produce the screens cheaper, do not include a game bundle and leave the stupid (I already use one on my PC!) Xbox One controller out.

newsguy

I think a whole lot of people are going to be excited when their pre-orders get bumped up. The "don't charge till it ships" model will see a very high cancellation rate.

onken

Hum not that I can't afford it but it comes out to $825 in my region after tax + shipping, which is just nuts. I'll pay that for a 1080 Ti but not for something from a company with little-to-zero hardware pedigree. I'll wait a few months and see what Sony and HTC bring to the table in terms of price and software.

To be fair, this 96 page thread suggests it certainly is going to be a big factor.

I am intrigued by this.

Do people think PSVR will be the same quality of head unit as Oculus/Vive but at a lower price?

If not, how much do they think the quality will be compromised by the lower price?

Then the big question - how much will the quality be further compromised by the PS4?

Will the resultant experience be heavily compromised to the point that it damages people's view of VR?

Venfayth

I found one post from an Oculus rep on Reddit related to the issue I'm having.. I think.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/3zqjyx/we_are_at_80k_orders_now/cyod4tv

Your preorders are good to go. There was a very small window during peak where tax was not calculated, and therefore, it could not display the final estimated pricing, hence what you are seeing. We're going to run through the database tonight and clean everything up. It should display tomorrow for you. Hang tight.

If you completed a preorder, and you received an order confirmation with an order number, you are defaulted to opting in to reserve your Touch preorder spot. You should be fine.

Hopefully this means everything is OK, there are still a few issues surrounding my order that concern me, but maybe things will be smoothed out over the next few days.

UnrealEck

I'll pay that for a 1080 Ti but not for something from a company with little-to-zero hardware pedigree.

Little, maybe, but I wouldn't say zero. They've had the dev kits out for a long time and the consumer headsets have been pretty well covered by loads of people around tech and gaming publications and people outside of work.
Then the big question - how much will the quality be further compromised by the PS4?

Rift's required specs are way way above that of a PS4. I think it's like an i5 4690 and a GTX 970. So it's way higher. And of course there's room to expand beyond even that.
I think compromises will need to be made for some games on the PS4 using VR. That much is pretty obvious. But yeah, like you said the question is how much will those compromises be?

UrbanRats

I am intrigued by this.

Do people think PSVR will be the same quality of head unit as Oculus/Vive but at a lower price?

If not, how much do they think the quality will be compromised by the lower price?

Will the resultant experience be heavily compromised to the point that it damages people's view of VR?
I'm willing to forego some quality for something i can actually afford, and don't have to wait 5 years to come down in price.

I've been waiting for VR for the last 3+ years, i'm tired of waiting.
Besides, it's not like PSVR impressions make it sound like it's a completely different ballpark from its competitors.
No doubt it won't be as good, but as an entry level, it'll be perfectly fine.

At that resolution it's not gonna be a premium experience. My gear vr is higher resolution and my first thought was this is not high enough
Resolution isn't everything. CV1 is expected to have greater overall image quality than Gear VR.

Hopefully this means everything is OK, there are still a few issues surrounding my order that concern me, but maybe things will be smoothed out over the next few days.
I think we're in the same boat. Did you receive an email? I didn't.

Man

GearVR is blowing minds right now.
People thought it was lab-equipment worth $3000+ when I demoed our product two weeks ago.

From impressions the PSVR experience is neck-and-neck with Rift CV1 and Vive.

buenoblue

Resolution isn't everything. CV1 is expected to have greater overall image quality than Gear VR.

I think we're in the same boat. Did you receive an email? I didn't.

Resolution may not be everything but it is the main contributer to a proper experience. Most people I've shown gear vr too have said why is it blury. These are average non tech people.

UnrealEck

I think they've also got to keep in mind that because Rift is largely or even primarily a gaming headset, increasing the resolution will also increase hardware requirements and/or lower the graphical effects in games.

buenoblue

Yeah sure. I honestly thought CV1 would be 4k. Surly samsung have 4k mobile screens ready to go. If people are saying this is a premium expensive experience then let's go all in man.

//DEVIL//

pass.

i am not paying 600$ for VR regardless of what platform or company making it.

the max i will go for is 350$ to 400$ for the system. i will wait and see what valve has to offer as well as Sony.

i might end up buying sony and a pc one if the price is right. i will need to see what games it will offer. if Valve is cheaper and support the same games. then i am buying that.

Resolution may not be everything but it is the main contributer to a proper experience. Most people I've shown gear vr too have said why is it blury. These are average non tech people.

Start a VR game on the Gear VR and then pull the unit out of the headset and see how much of a border there is between the two views, and on the sides of the two views. The two display setup the CV1 is using ensures less wasted space on the screen. Now does that mean the views have more pixels than the Gear VR? It's hard to say, but it's going to be closer than the raw numbers suggest because way more of that 1440p panel is wasted than with the rift.

Blurryness also comes from a lower framerate. Your head is moving around when you are using VR. The higher the framerate, the less it blurs as you turn your head. Blurryness also comes from the optics... the more off center things get.. the blurrier. The CV1 is meant to have better optics. Blurryness also comes from chromatic aberration. The GearVR doesn't have the power to pre adjust for chromatic aberration like a PC does.

That said, I don't think the Gear VR is *blurry* although I admit an average person might use that term to describe it's resolution. Are you sure they didn't forget to adjust the focus on the thing before using it?

Donnie

I don't know. I have an S6. I tried it at Best Buy and found the resolution to be unacceptable. I watched a few of the short films in the Oculous theater and they were such poor resolution it made my eyes water. I really feel the screen res has to be so sharp and crystal clear to get that immersive experience people want. Screendoor and blurriness have a big impact on taking you out of the experience.

Maybe it was setup poorly? S6 has a pretty good screen resolution, much higher than Oculus DK2 and that didn't even have a bad screen door effect IMO. I suppose it also comes down to how much of the screen is used for rendering each eye rather than the resolution of the screen itself and the optics inside the headset of course.

onken

Little, maybe, but I wouldn't say zero. They've had the dev kits out for a long time and the consumer headsets have been pretty well covered by loads of people around tech and gaming publications and people outside of work.

I guess but they're still rank amateurs in sheer production experience to companies like HTC and Sony.

jmaine_ph

its his channel

lol YOU must be drunk to think the price will be close $299
Stop posting your videos and just write your thoughts
Why not kill two birds in one stone? Also tell me why you think $299 is so far fetched or even in that ball park?

Top Bottom