• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

elyetis

Cyber did say more units would be processed in the morning though right? I think we will know the real cut off in a few hours or by the end of the day at least. Im pretty sure my 10:04 order isn't in the first batch but I think a few other people are probably going to make it into it.
I never worked with UPS, but having worked with delivery companies in the expedition service, it usually stop at around 14-15h, and for some of them as late as 17h. That's in France thought, not UK.

But time is most likely not the problem in DK2 case, but the number of available units.

la_briola

Date: Mar 19, 2014 08:46 AM PDT
Status:processing:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Note: If you have multiple items in the order, it might also indicate that the remaining items are still waiting to be shipped.

I guess being from Germany has more to do with it. :<

riflen

Date: Mar 19, 2014 08:46 AM PDT
Status:processing:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Note: If you have multiple items in the order, it might also indicate that the remaining items are still waiting to be shipped.

I guess being from Germany has more to do with it. :<

Same message here. I'm in UK and ordered at 08:28 AM.

Lach

For all those (like me) who didn't get into the first batch...
Just remember: At least by the time we get ours there, there will be plenty of demos ready...so...in a way...it's a good thing...

Or at least I keep telling me that.....

Jimrpg

Even though it's the dev kit, any reason why general consumers can't get this version? Is the consumer version meant to be cheaper? When is that coming out? What games support it right now? I heard Euro Truck Simulator 2 was working on supporting it.

For those with shipping status, where are they shipping from? I got an email from UPS about a mystery package arriving tomorrow from Charlotte.

Seanspeed

Banned
Even though it's the dev kit, any reason why general consumers can't get this version? Is the consumer version meant to be cheaper? When is that coming out? What games support it right now? I heard Euro Truck Simulator 2 was working on supporting it.
General consumers *can* buy one here.

Consumer version may or may not be cheaper. Should be in the same ballpark, though.

It is unknown when its coming out, but best estimate is Q3-Q4 2015.

As for what games support it, that's a difficult question to answer. Do you mean DK2 or the Rift in general? This new Oculus Rift sports new features that will require updates for any DK1-developed game/experience support. So it will be down to the developers and we don't really know exactly what will be supported and what wont, but I would expect *most* worthwhile Rift games/experiences to be updated. But basically, yes, there will be stuff to play, but it may not be quite the 'full game', out-of-box ready experiences you're expecting apart from a few exceptions.

A guy on reddit posted how he got his already. Unfortunately it came with a letter saying his usb port doesn't work and they are sending him an aux cable. I'll see if I can find the link.

edit: http://imgur.com/a/P9s7s

That was part of some developer connection thing where they sent out 100 early units to (I believe) students and schools. That's not part of the pre-order frenzy happening now.

Along the lines of what Sean said, it does and will have great experiences and some games retrofitted to work (Minecraft, Skyrim, Half Life 2, Euro Truck Simulator for example) but they aren't "perfect" and have some bugs you may have to work around, wouldn't recommend for somebody who doesn't like to get their hands dirty in random .INI files (although I believe HL2 was updated by Valve so should be fine).

Then there are games like Assetto Corsa, Lunar Flight, and some early betas like Elite: Dangerous, Star Citizen that are actually having a display method designed around the Rift although some, like Assetto, have it on their back burner since it's a very small customer base that would have DK2 at this point (pretty much zero at this point, lol).

BUT, then there are 'experiences' like Senza Peso which is a short 'mini opera' and various roller coasters that will be updated shortly (as DK2s get into the developer's hands).

There are also 100 units out there already and I'm sure we'll start seeing the fruits of that labor now that the NDA will be lifted since DK2s are shipping wildly.

Really, it comes down to how much you can tweak game settings and good your PC is. This isn't for the person that just uses Steam in big picture and uses their PC as a "really good console" as it will require getting your hands dirty to get some things to run. The "only" Oculus Rift-only game in development that we know of is Lucky's Tale (platformer) and there are no plans for a demo of that game.

As for release of the CV1 (civilian) - nobody knows, end of 2015 is my guess. I just don't see there being software for 1 million people (their sales goal) there before that unless they are keeping the best kept secrets in gaming (they might be!).

As for price - somewhere around $300-400 would be my guesstimate, they don't want to overprice it and they want mass adoption, anything more than that and it becomes too expensive. They have stated they want it around the DK prices also (which have been about $350.

Clawww

unless today is bountiful, I'm not feeling good about my chances

ordered around six hours into the affair =( not good enough

GeoGonzo

For what its worth ETS is already amazing with the DK1, and will almost certainly be an excelent experience with the DK2.

Krejlooc

Banned
OrtonPyro.gif

EdgePyro.gif

TNAHellYeah.gif

GrizzNKev

Banned
This shipment, according to OVR, is a small, manually processed test for each region. I would estimate that only the first 1000 or so orders have been processed, and this week or next week will see the first automated shipment of the promised 5000 at the very least processed/shipped orders by the end of the month. Don't let these "first" test batch confirmations ruin your hopes, people who ordered between 9-12.

I guess I should be confident that my afternoon order will make it into the second major shipment. The numbers were 12500 in the first 36 hours. I ordered just under 8 hours in so I should definitely be in the first 10000.

Jimrpg

General consumers *can* buy one here.

Along the lines of what Sean said, it does and will have great experiences and some games retrofitted to work (Minecraft, Skyrim, Half Life 2, Euro Truck Simulator for example) but they aren't "perfect" and have some bugs you may have to work around, wouldn't recommend for somebody who doesn't like to get their hands dirty in random .INI files (although I believe HL2 was updated by Valve so should be fine).

Really, it comes down to how much you can tweak game settings and good your PC is. This isn't for the person that just uses Steam in big picture and uses their PC as a "really good console" as it will require getting your hands dirty to get some things to run. The "only" Oculus Rift-only game in development that we know of is Lucky's Tale (platformer) and there are no plans for a demo of that game.

As for release of the CV1 (civilian) - nobody knows, end of 2015 is my guess. I just don't see there being software for 1 million people (their sales goal) there before that unless they are keeping the best kept secrets in gaming (they might be!).

Thanks for all that information! Hope it helps other people thinking about getting one as well.

This thing has been in development for ages it seems. They should just get it out there imo now that they are backed by Facebook, I'm sure they can support them for a good while. A little bit put off by the fact it seems most of the stuff out there needs a bit of work to get it running, plus my computer (15" macbook retina pro) probably isn't going to be good enough.

Will target getting a brand new PC to coincide with Oculus Rift next year. Exciting times!

For what its worth ETS is already amazing with the DK1, and will almost certainly be an excelent experience with the DK2.

My wife will think I've gone crazy. She already thinks ETS is crazy. She asked me last night if I want a job as a truck driver cause her father's business could do with another.

Oh hey, just noticed in the OP that it -will- come with nearsighted lenses. I had heard before that it might not, so I'm glad to see that it will.

Because I will need them.

I'm 8:58 AM PDT in the US, and it looks like I just missed out on the test batches last night. They're reportedly doing more processing this morning, so I'm optimistic I'll get in today. As they said, the stuff processed last night isn't shipping until today anyway, so hopefully it goes through today and I can get my dev kit sooner rather than later.

I'm actually developing a small game right now on my DK1. It's made me extra desperate for the DK2.

phinious

Order at 5:45am the 20th. I'm still hoping I make the second batch. I bought a flight stick since I am very hyped about cockpit games. Any recommendations for flight sim games?

Great info post, but just a correct: CV stands for "Consumer Version" here :)

Haha, I knew that too ... wonder why I wrote 'civilian'.

Also, no "shipped" update which I was hoping for since they said they wouldn't charge until they were shipping, and if that happened at 6PM yesterday my 'hope' was that UPS would be processing them and on some trucks by this morning.

Ah well, next week it is.

Man

Just got mail(s) from UPS with tracking numbers. Scandinavia.
Shipping from 'GB' Great Britain it seems.

Scheduled delivery: July 30th.

Just got mail(s) from UPS with tracking numbers. Scandinavia.
Shipping from 'GB' Great Britain it seems.

Hope increasing (although I'm in the US)

EDIT: Also, you're the very first person in the world to say they have tracking numbers. I'm a bit skeptical.

Krejlooc

Banned
Hope increasing (although I'm in the US)

EDIT: Also, you're the very first person in the world to say they have tracking numbers. I'm a bit skeptical.

Man, people called me a liar two days ago when I said I had my card charged, until Cyberreality clarified that they had withdrawn money from a few accounts as a test. I see Man posting in these threads all the time. I don't think any of us are lying.

Blizzard

Banned
Why should't it be? As far as I can tell everyone that ordered till 10:00 AM PDT will be in the first batch.
Has anyone in the continental U.S. after like 8:45 received an email? 9:00 PDT didn't, 9:04 PDT didn't. The only later times that have gotten emails seem to be in other countries.

Man, people called me a liar two days ago when I said I had my card charged, until Cyberreality clarified that they had withdrawn money from a few accounts as a test. I see Man posting in these threads all the time. I don't think any of us are lying.

Not calling a liar, just skeptical. I mean, he's the first person to report ... in the world.

Man

Believe what you want. Helped kickstart the original DK1 summer 2012 and received it April 2013. I am working full time on a VR project. Ordered for our dev team five DK2s (+ one extra by different dev) between 8:30 and 8:59 March 19th. Scandinavia. Been posting in the NeoGAF VR threads forever.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Has anyone in the continental U.S. after like 8:45 received an email? 9:00 PDT didn't, 9:04 PDT didn't. The only later times that have gotten emails seem to be in other countries.

I haven't and I ordered at 8:58am , definitely region related.

Believe what you want. Helped kickstart the original DK1 summer 2012 and received it April 2013. I am working full time on a VR project. Ordered for our dev team five DK2s (+ one extra by different dev) between 8:30 and 8:59 March 19th. Scandinavia. Been posting in the NeoGAF VR threads forever.

Saw one other person on reddit, so we may start seeing more.

Again, wasn't calling you a liar but in the age of the internet I'm a bit weary with info provided (also didn't recognize the username). Could be bullshit, could be a language barrier thing where you aren't sure which email, could have been a lot of things.

No offense meant, I just can't get excited much when I see something for the 'first' time with stuff like this ... ZOOM ENHANCE!

I haven't and I ordered at 8:58am , definitely region related.

If yours ships today and mine doesn't (8:59 AM PDT) I'm going to go crazy. Northeastern US here :)

We'll both be fine. I don't need positional tracking to keep on developing my project, and I'm using UE4.3, so I already have DK2 support in my game even if I can't check it out for myself.

DogMeat77

I never really thought of it, but how does this work with people who have astigmatism?

Astigmatism is unfortunately the one thing that requires glasses or contacts. I have this problem with my DK1 but it has been easy to overcome. My frames did not fit well in DK1 but I could get them to fit if I put my glasses in the rift first, then put them on together at the same time.

Most people are able to fit their glasses in the oculus rift fine using either the A or B lens cups fine.

If you're farsighted you'll be pretty much in the clear because the rift is focused at infinity.

Near sighted people will use mostly the B or C lens cups for DK1 and B on DK2 making it almost as if you were wearing your glasses.

Krejlooc

Banned
"Hmm I think I'll check my order status because why the hell not"
*goes to Oculus VR and clicks the link to request an order status update email thingy, enters email address*
*Goes to check email, sees email from Oculus VR, heart starts racing*
*winds up being the email I had just requested*

lol this happens to me so often

wickfut

Banned
So is that it or are they still sending out notifications?

I'm 10:25 and in the UK. I can't believe that I can miss the first batch being 2 hours from the release time.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
239473_o.gif

Faith

Well, my friend ordered at 09:54 AM (Switzerland) and got his email.

So it's actually an advantage to live in e smaller country!

YuShtink

Well, my friend ordered at 09:54 AM (Switzerland) and got his email.

So it's actually an advantage to live in e smaller country!

I remember last summer with DK1 there were people getting their rifts before me in other countries who ordered in April/May when I had ordered the first week of January in the US. It was one hell of a lesson in patience lol.

Hale-XF11

I remember last summer with DK1 there were people getting their rifts before me in other countries who ordered in April/May when I had ordered the first week of January in the US. It was one hell of a lesson in patience lol.

Ouch.

Well, hopefully this latest post from cybreality is a good sign:

Batches will be going out on a regular basis. It won't be like DK1 where people waited a month for another batch.

Top Bottom