• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift DK2 Thread

do emails get sent out once the order is actually shipped?

You get an email once there is a tracking number, I believe once there is a tracking number your order status changes to Shipped. (US order - that's how it went for me).

And yesterday my number wasn't "fully processed" so it didn't have any info. It now says that the 'origin scan is in Ontario, CA and I can expect delivery next Tuesday (Portland, OR).

epmode

Checked my tracking info. Waiting until Wednesday might just be the death of me.

At least I'll have a day to test the new Elite Dangerous beta and get the controls down so I'm not completely lost when the Rift prevents me from looking at my hands!

sdconvoy

Alright, got the mail last night, card charged, now order status is processing! It was a 9:38 order and I'm in Michigan before anyone asks for all the details.

GET HYPED!

Dex815

Date: Mar 19, 2014 12:56 PM PDT
Status:processing:Your order has been checked out for shipping and will be shipped in the next batch. We'll send you a notification once it's shipped.

Germany.

chr

Neo Member
My payment got declined. For some reason they charged me and then refunded me. I ended up resubmitted the same payment info and got charged and processed. I'm excited

Mr.Green

Really didn't expect my order to get processed today!
Ordered at Mar 19, 2014 10:32 AM PDT, Sweden.

BrightOilyHellbender.gif

This makes me laugh a lot more than it should.

bj00rn_

Banned
Really didn't expect my order to get processed today!
Ordered at Mar 19, 2014 10:32 AM PDT, Sweden.

http://giant.gfycat.com/BrightOilyHellbender.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Yeah I got my mail today too. I ordered apprx. at the same time (11:48 AM, to Norway) and had already given up on getting it early. I think the region allocation numbers helped speed things up.

Well, actually, it's just a "will be shipped in the next batch" message, so I guess there's no guarantee..

So now that my order is Processing, I'm curious what games/apps have already been updated/created for DK2.

I have Tuscany, Technolust, Vanguard Valkyrie, Radial G, and Euro Truck Simulator 2 (which I'm sure will be updated shortly). I'm hoping to get a good rollercoaster one, a racing one, and maaaaybe Elite Dangerous (I don't know if I can justify the price tag for early access).

I have $50 in Steam credit, so if anyone has any good suggestions of VR games on Steam, I'd be very appreciative!

la_briola

UPS tracking is weird.
http://wwwapps.ups.com/WebTracking/ said:
A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated.

Label Created On: 07/24/2014
So... what does that mean, is it still at Oculus?!

Krejlooc

Banned
Someone selling a dk2 on ebay for $5000

Another going for $2800

Both in the us, both tuesday arrivals. That sucks so hard, don't even have it in hand and selling it.

Krejlooc

Banned
Normally, I'm apathetic to scalpers. I think if someone is going to go through the trouble of camping out and fighting people to get, say, a PS3, when others weren't, then they aren't wrong to charge more as a sort of "shoppers" fee. I honestly feel that way.

but this is way worse because it's not consumer technology. Doing this takes this kit out of a developers hand, at a time when developers need to be working on this the most. I really dislike this.

Normally, I'm apathetic to scalpers. I think if someone is going to go through the trouble of camping out and fighting people to get, say, a PS3, when others weren't, then they aren't wrong to charge more as a sort of "shoppers" fee. I honestly feel that way.

but this is way worse because it's not consumer technology. Doing this takes this kit out of a developers hand, at a time when developers need to be working on this the most. I really dislike this.

I also took one out of a developer's hands I guess. But at least I'm going to evangelize and give feedback. Might try and create something with Blender and UE4 when I have spare time in the winter.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Need those impressions. The pixel gap looks ok but up close, I'm sure it will be a minor but noticeable issue.

Krejlooc

Banned
I also took one out of a developer's hands I guess. But at least I'm going to evangelize and give feedback. Might try and create something with Blender and UE4 when I have spare time in the winter.

I'm more inclined to be ok with that, as you clearly didn't take it out of developers hands to try and resell it to developers at a marked up price.

I also took one out of a developer's hands I guess. But at least I'm going to evangelize and give feedback.

That's my ideology as well. I have no development experience, and will not create anything, but the developers need a userbase to try their products, and I will gladly be an early adopter for this technology. I want the consumer version to have the best experiences possible to try on day 1 so that the technology can succeed and continue advancing.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Is there any chance they will continue processing orders today at the rate they were yesterday (or faster)? The latest processed order was less than two hours before mine and the anticipation is eating me alive. Plus, based on the collected data, 2-4 PM was a relatively low volume time for orders and could be burned though faster than previous hours.

Hale-XF11

Mines been processing since early yesterday, really hoped it would have gone to shipping by now :(

Ordered it on the 19th at 9:13 AM

Yeah, my 9:15 order is still stuck in processing as well. Really hope they ship ours today yet. Gonna be a long weekend regardless.

Sh1ner

DK2 on Oculus site is shipped,
on UPS package tracker site its:
Order Processed: Ready for UPS

For the last 24 hours.. on a Friday. Bah that stings.

Mine shipped from Ontario and will arrive in North Carolina Wednesday. I have it set so I can go to the UPS Center to pick it up, meaning I'll get it nine hours earlier than if I have them deliver it to my house. I will see how many DK1 demos I can play without throwing up beforehand I guess.

I'm more inclined to be ok with that, as you clearly didn't take it out of developers hands to try and resell it to developers at a marked up price.

That's my ideology as well. I have no development experience, and will not create anything, but the developers need a userbase to try their products, and I will gladly be an early adopter for this technology. I want the consumer version to have the best experiences possible to try on day 1 so that the technology can succeed and continue advancing.

Exactly, one big happy family!

Any glasses users want to give impressions?

I will Tuesday! It's actually surprising that there isn't more information out there regarding glasses users outside of "works fine" and "scratched lenses". I've seen people get the measurements of the foam that DK2 comes in and still not a really good write-up about glasses and the DK2 (that I have seen).

YuShtink

OK guys was able to pick mine up from UPS at 8am and hook it up for just a few minutes before coming in to work. Quick first impressions:

Setup was a little rocky, but I was also rushing like an idiot. I still can't get it to work properly outside of Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode, and the only things that ran correctly through the Direct HMD mode were the calibration demo scene and Tuscany 0.4.0 (Technolust's DK2 Beta Demo doesn't run for me). I still have plenty of tinkering to do, but when the demo is compatible Oculus Runtime is a fabulous tool to have.

Anyways, onto the actual experience:

First thing I ran was Tuscany. It's back to the old non-Unity version with the nice particle effects and stuff, but immediately the crispness, clarity, and vibrance of the world stuck out to me relative to DK1. Everything is a lot clearer, and DAMN that low persistence makes head tracking buttery smooth. Really does make a huge difference in making the scene feel grounded in place. Havent gotten to test any text out though yet! Screen door is still noticeable if you are looking for it, but it's not nearly as pronounced as in DK1 and with the lack of image smearing it's a massive improvement overall.

Positional tracking is FANTASTIC - when it works. I know they are targeting the seated experience but I wanted to stand at least for my first demo, for fully accurate scale, like I did with DK1, because bottom line is it's just more impressive in a demo where you are a standing character. It works, but it's very easy to go outside the camera's bounds.

Especially if you lose track of which direction the camera is in real life, you'll quickly find yourself spinning too far out of tracking range, or accidentally just facing off-center enough that you lose tracking by glancing to one side. Can't really see anyone being able to play for more than a few minutes without frequently losing positional tracking while standing, which will be incredibly annoying (especially when a text prompt pops up EVERY TIME in Tuscany). So it looks like we'll have to get used to the seat for now, sadly.

All that said, leaning in the windows, bending over and examining the potted plants from multiple angles freely, all that stuff is fucking awesome. All in all, I'm definitely impressed. Just slightly annoyed by the single, relatively narrow tracking camera, but we all knew that was a limitation going into it. I'm also being highly critical here and already used DK1 extensively, so please don't take this as a hype killer or something. It's still fabulous and as other-wordly as technology can get. Can't wait to see more software updated!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OK guys was able to pick mine up from UPS at 8am and hook it up for just a few minutes before coming in to work. Quick first impressions:

Setup was a little rocky, but I was also rushing like an idiot. I still can't get it to work properly outside of Oculus Runtime's Direct HMD mode, and the only things that ran correctly through the Direct HMD mode were the calibration demo scene and Tuscany 0.4.0 (Technolust's DK2 Beta Demo doesn't run for me). I still have plenty of tinkering to do, but when the demo is compatible Oculus Runtime is a fabulous tool to have.

Anyways, onto the actual experience:

First thing I ran was Tuscany. It's back to the old non-Unity version with the nice particle effects and stuff, but immediately the crispness, clarity, and vibrance of the world stuck out to me relative to DK1. Everything is a lot clearer, and DAMN that low persistence makes head tracking buttery smooth. Really does make a huge difference in making the scene feel grounded in place. Havent gotten to test any text out though yet! Screen door is still noticeable if you are looking for it, but it's not nearly as pronounced as in DK1 and with the lack of image smearing it's a massive improvement overall.

Positional tracking is FANTASTIC - when it works. I know they are targeting the seated experience but I wanted to stand at least for my first demo, for fully accurate scale, like I did with DK1, because bottom line is it's just more impressive in a demo where you are a standing character. It works, but it's very easy to go outside the camera's bounds.

Especially if you lose track of which direction the camera is in real life, you'll quickly find yourself spinning too far out of tracking range, or accidentally just facing off-center enough that you lose tracking by glancing to one side. Can't really see anyone being able to play for more than a few minutes without frequently losing positional tracking while standing, which will be incredibly annoying (especially when a text prompt pops up EVERY TIME in Tuscany). So it looks like we'll have to get used to the seat for now, sadly.

All that said, leaning in the windows, bending over and examining the potted plants from multiple angles freely, all that stuff is fucking awesome. All in all, I'm definitely impressed. Just slightly annoyed by the single, relatively narrow tracking camera, but we all knew that was a limitation going into it. I'm also being highly critical here and already used DK1 extensively, so please don't take this as a hype killer or something. It's still fabulous and as other-wordly as technology can get. Can't wait to see more software updated!

Great read. The display stuff will hopefully be improved by release. Did you install tat package that was linked yesterday before plugging the unit in?

Hale-XF11

Good stuff and congrats on getting your DK2 so quickly!

Regarding the loss of tracking, how far were you sitting or standing from the tracking camera? At least 5 feet?

Mr.Green

The manual says you should be at least about 5' away from the camera. Are you?

Edit:

RTFM said:
For Optimal performance, position yourself about 1.5 meters or 5 feet away from the positional tracker.

YuShtink

Good stuff and congrats on getting your DK2 so quickly!

Regarding the loss of tracking, how far were you sitting or standing from the tracking camera? At least 5 feet?

Was closer to like 3-4 feet most of the time. I may want to give more space.

One other thing I forgot to mention:

The true black smearing does seem to be a legitimate issue, while very minor. When I was looking up at the dimly lit wooden ceiling beams inside the Villa, as I moved my head around it looked like the shadows were moving around in a really strange manner. After a couple seconds I put two and two together and realized it's the deep black smearing a little bit. Or at least I think so. But it only seems to happen with very dark shadows. It just stands out when everything else is so crisp and clean.

Top Bottom