• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

donny2112

Actual

yoy_360-5.png

yoy_PS3-5.png

yoy_WII-5.png

USJapan-6.png

USJapan_PS360-5.png

Estimated

WWConsoles-12.png

PS360vsWII-10.png

PS3vs360-7.png

iceatcs

Karma said:
What the fuck is this shit. The PS3 wins by 20,000 units and the 360 is dead? Shut the fuck up idiot.
Problem is the same thing last year but other way, most people said PS3 dead after got beaten by GBA (what a day! GBA>PS3)

AniHawk

Gaborn said:
I should have said that the PS3 is not showing any sustained software success. That is, it sells software month to month as people jump on new software and then quickly dies down, it's not showing any of the consistency in sales that a solid software selling platform needs to sell.

Isn't this the case with the 360 as well? Without more than the top 10, we have a pretty limited view anyhow.

thuway

dyls said:
No, not that often. I just want to go on record as saying that the 360 is on its way down saleswise. It's games will continue to appease those who love it.

Sorry man, I have to disagree. The month Gears 2 hits, alongside that price drop- you will see a nice boost in sales. Possibly even overtaking PS3 during that month.
I love the PS3 too.
Not even I'm stupid enough to think Little Big Planet + Resistance 2 will chink anything away from Gears 2.

dyls

thuway said:
Sorry man, I have to disagree. The month Gears 2 hits, alongside that price drop- you will see a nice boost in sales. Possibly even overtaking PS3 during that month.
I love the PS3 too.
Not even I'm stupid enough to think Little Big Planet + Resistance 2 will chink anything away from Gears 2.

How many people that didn't care enough to buy a 360 for Gears 1 will care enough to buy it for 2?

And I don't really love the PS3. I own one, but only Uncharted has really grabbed me so far of the big name exclusives. Even Blu-Ray has underwhelmed me so far :(

Originally Posted by dyls:
SC IV needed Star Wars to sell.

And Mario Kart might've sold a shitload more if it's numbers weren't held back by being packaged with the wheel.

Anyway, the 360 is turning into the also-ran we all knew it would be. It's just continuing its slow decline into total worldwide irrelevance. Of course, GAF will be the last to accept that, insisting that the next price cut/big title is all it needs. The only real problem I have with the agonizing death of the 360 is how much more obnoxious it will make the many here who love it more than it deserves. You think the Dreamcast worshipers are annoying? Just wait.
Wow just wow what a troll

FrankT

Microsoft Responds To July NPD Sales, Seems Pleased
The Xbox 360 may have had a humbling hardware showing in July, according to U.S. sales data from the NPD Group, but the company as a whole seems quite pleased about the month in general. The first four paragraphs of its statement don't talk about NPDs at all, instead choosing to focus on its E3 showing and G4's G-Phoria Award noms.

On the qualitative side, Microsoft touts "more than $US 10.4 billion" worth of Xbox 360 spending since launch, a 34% software sales share in July, and four games in the top ten. It's also got those attach rate figure updates for you, with 7.9 games per Xbox 360 sold.

The Microsoft version of corporate gloating sadly does not feature an executive quote. :( See how sad you've made us, faceless corporation?

July was a solid month for Xbox 360. We dominated the E3 landscape, took home 11 Game Critics Awards and closed out a profitable year with $2.1 billion in growth in our Entertainment & Devices Division (Microsoft internal data).

Just this week, G4TV, unveiled its fan-voted G-Phoria Award winners for 2008 and G4's audience made it emphatically clear that Microsoft offers the most impressive gaming lineup in the industry, naming Xbox 360 Console of the Year, "Halo 3" the overall Game of the Year, and "Mass Effect" the Best Role-Playing Game of the Year. "Halo 3" earned an additional four nominations in the Best Shooter, Best Online Multiplayer Game, Longest Lasting Game, and Best Downloadable Content categories.

Overall, Xbox 360 garnered the most honorees with 15, followed by the Playstation 3's 14, while Nintendo's Wii offered only four winning titles. The Xbox 360's strengths were apparent as it was the only platform to offer all five nominees in the Best Downloadable Content category, and four nominees (including the winners) in both the Best Online Multiplayer and Best Shooter categories.

And we're projecting 2009 will be even bigger - we'll sell more consoles, sell more games, and continue to grow our online community at Xbox LIVE.

The NPD Group issued its July 2008 sales data today showing Xbox 360 as the current generation leader in consumer spend, game sales and software attach rate. Here is a snapshot:

· Since its launch, consumers have spent more than $10.4 billion on the Xbox 360 platform in the U.S., capturing 49% of share. (July NPD data)
· 205,000 Xbox 360 consoles were sold in July. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 titles accounted for $129 million, or 34% share, in game sales in July. Of that, Xbox 360 generated $121 million at retail for third-party publishers, or 42% of share. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 games accounted for four of the top ten games in July. (July NPD data)
· Xbox 360 has a record-setting attach rate of 7.9 games per console, the highest attach rate in history for a console at this point in its lifecycle. (July NPD data)

The announcements we made at E3 come to life beginning this fall with the new Xbox experience which will evolve and deepen the experience for hardcore gamers while inviting a whole new audience to come and play. Couple that with our exclusive partnership with Netflix and a blockbuster games library boasting more than 1,000 titles including "Lips," "You're in the Movies" and Best Action Game of E3 "Gears of War 2" (Game Critics Awards), and Xbox 360 is on track to deliver a record-breaking holiday and keep the momentum going into 2009.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/08/microsoft_responds_to_july_npd_sales_seems_pleased.html

Hesemonni

Banned
So, the official spin is going to look like this?

Microsoft: "Strong software sales throughout..."
Sony: "Strong Playstation family sales throughout..."
Nintendo: "Iwata: (laughs)"

?

Gaborn

AniHawk said:
Isn't this the case with the 360 as well? Without more than the top 10, we have a pretty limited view anyhow.

Absolutely, but it's probably more glaring with the PS3. For example, Halo 3 saw several consecutive months in the top 10 of sales, how many PS3 games can make that claim? (I'm ignoring 360 sales prior to Wii's/PS3's release obviously)

dyls said:
How many people that didn't care enough to buy a 360 for Gears 1 will care enough to buy it for 2?

Lots of people ran out to buy an Xbox for Halo 2 that didn't care enough to do it for Halo 1. Since prices drop and hype builds, there are always potential new consumers.

Pachael

360:pS3 ratio for multiplatform titles have also decreased to somewhere near 1.4:1 despite a 2:1 install base - the PS3 is coming back but they've left their run really really late.

Anyway you know Microsoft haven't had a good month when they're talking about all the awards they're getting. That said, if the September pricedrop is true then they'll be pretty good going into the holidays with a $199 Core console.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pachael said:
360:pS3 ratio for multiplatform titles have also decreased to somewhere near 1.4:1 despite a 2:1 install base - the PS3 is coming back but they've left their run really really late.

Anyway you know Microsoft haven't had a good month when they're talking about all the awards they're getting. That said, if the September pricedrop is true then they'll be pretty good going into the holidays with a $199 Core console.

That goes down as the consoles progress in life

Kyoufu

Pachael said:

Does the Core really matter though?

Gaborn said:
Absolutely, but it's probably more glaring with the PS3. For example, Halo 3 saw several consecutive months in the top 10 of sales, how many PS3 games can make that claim? (I'm ignoring 360 sales prior to Wii's/PS3's release obviously)
Not just Halo 3 but Gears 1, ME, Oblivion as well. Alot of 360 games had spots in the top 10 for consecutive months...the last 5 months it's been slow for software releases for the 360. Thats part of the problem right there. The thing is though not a single big software release for the 360 in the last 4 months [counting NG2] but yet it still manages to keep within a double digit margin of the PS3 and a BIG software release in the form of MGS4.

FrankT

Revelations said:
Not just Halo 3 but Gears 1, ME, Oblivion as well. Alot of 360 games had spots in the top 10 for consecutive months...the last 5 months it's been slow for software releases for the 360. Thats part of the problem right there. The thing is though not a single big software release for the 360 in the last 4 months [counting NG2] but yet it still manages to keep within a double digit margin of the PS3 and a BIG software release in the form of MGS4.

IIRC COD4 was in the top 10 for close to half year as well.

Pachael said:

Where ya pulling that number from.

Xbox 360 has a record-setting attach rate of 7.9 games per console, the highest attach rate in history for a console at this point in its lifecycle. (July NPD data)

That is still amazing there and the very reason the games will continue to come to the 360.

Kyoufu said:
Does the Core really matter though?
Yeah it does. Dosn't matter what sku it is. When customers see that $199 commercial MSFT will be pimping they will start tallying up the what if's...and looking in thier wallets for things they can buy with the console.

botticus

Xbox 360 has a record-setting attach rate of 7.9 games per console, the highest attach rate in history for a console at this point in its lifecycle.
So statistics based on "this point in its lifecycle" ARE valid.

Gaborn said:
I miss the "wait for 'x'" posts.

Yeah, no one can use those anymore because as we've seen now, there aren't many games that GENUINELY sell consoles while also remain in the top sellers list themselves.

The only two I've seen do BOTH this gen is Halo 3 and Gears of War. I don't know if Gears 2 will do it. 6 months ago I would have almost guaranteed Gears 2 would sell a lot of consoles, but I don't think it will anymore.

I'd just about say anyone who wants Gears 2 really DOES have an Xbox 360 now.

I still expect Gears 2 to be the best selling opening day/week/month this gen.

Obviously the Wii clouds things because regardless of big releases or not, the thing sells so you can't say whether a game pushed consoles or not.

Gaborn

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Yeah, no one can use those anymore because as we've seen now, there aren't many games that GENUINELY sell consoles while also remain in the top sellers list themselves.

The only two I've seen do BOTH this gen is Halo 3 and Gears of War. I don't know if Gears 2 will do it. 6 months ago I would have almost guaranteed Gears 2 would sell a lot of consoles, but I don't think it will anymore.

I still expect Gears 2 to be the best selling opening day/week/month this gen.

Obviously the Wii clouds things because regardless of big releases or not, the thing sells so you can't say whether a game pushed consoles or not.

Yep, I agree on all points, still though, it's always nice to see someone come in with the ridiculous level of hope for their preferred system.

yoopoo

Banned
Months in top 10

Guitar Hero 3: 7 (Wii)
COD 4: 6
Mario Kart: 4
Halo 3: 4
Guitar Hero 2: 4 (360)
GTA 4: 2
MGS 4: 1

2 Minutes Turkish said:

Gears 2 with a $199 price tag may push some who were still on the fence to go and make the jump.

Lightning

Banned
Revelations said:
I couldn't personally give a shit. Just seems to me it was one of the few titles people believed would help sell PS3 systems at a more rate than it did. Because if you cant say that about Metal Gear Solid what other game can you say it for, FFXIII is multi now...

I'd say GOW3 but its a bit far off.
Nothing is more far off than FFXIII....

Quick Question for everyone in here......

Does anyone see ANY games yet to release on the PS3 or 360 that can change the course of the tides (i.e. the Wii dominating)

Because I don't see a single one, maybe LBP.....but that is a BIIIIG stretch of the imagination

MikeE21286 said:
Quick Question for everyone in here......

Does anyone see ANY games yet to release on the PS3 or 360 that can change the course of the tides (i.e. the Wii dominating)

Because I don't see a single one, maybe LBP.....but that is a BIIIIG stretch of the imagination

Nope.

One game ain't doing shit.

FrankT

Revelations said:
Gears 2 with a $199 price tag may push some who were still on the fence to go and make the jump.

Aye, with the rumored price points, with Fable 2 and Gears, indeed. I see nothing but a stellar holiday once again for the platform this Christmas.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
NPD July 2008 Results: Charts <<--

TOTAL

CONSOLES

Monthly Notes:
[ ] If I was in the board room over at the 360 offices, I would be concerned. I would show my superiors the LTD chart but I'm afraid they'd look at the Market Share Line chart. Doing 1-for-1 with the PS3 since Christmas simply isn't good enough, especially after the failure of HDDVD. I also wouldn't hang my hat on the hope that BRD never truly takes over.

• The 360 has lost around 1% market share per month since August 2007 (-12.5%).
  • The PS3 has gained around 4% since last August 2007.
  • The Wii has gained around 9% since last August 2007.

[ ] The 5 million unit lead the 360 currently has over the PS3 looks secure for now, but only because the PS3 is only just meeting or barely beating the 360 since Christmas. If this continues after targeted prices drops and the announcement of FFXIII, I would have contingency plans in place.

[ ] If I was a 3rd party selling games in the US territory, I would look at that Next-Gen Lead chart for a long time. I see 4.4 million reasons with a known core audience to target, assuming that my artistic desires would lead me to make hardcore games.

[ ] If I was Nintendo, I would be doing everything in my power to point at that LTD chart that is pointing straight upwards and compare it to the PS2 LTD line (anybody got one handy?). I would point to the money they made on the PS2, and I would smile and then point out the numbers on Nintendo's core games and how they sold here in the States. I would say something along the lines of "The Wii will sell more consoles than any machine in history, and it will combine the audience of the PS2 with the casual audience of the PC. You will make much money."

Chart Notes:
[ ] Specific numbers removed from certain charts to observe privacy rules.

[ ] Not sure why I left the PS2 out of the total pie chart. I've never tracked PS2 sales, but at 155k, it's almost hitting 360 numbers. (STILL).

[ ] I think my NPD charts leave a little to be desired honestly; but I also think that's a direct result of the lack of specific numbers being released (leaked) any more. It certainly limits what I could ever do with software barring the occasional press release. I will be reworking my NPD charts to more closely resemble my MC charts. Logos, legends in the pie charts, etc.

[ ] I'm definitely aware of the glaring lack of handheld charts in relation to the NPD. I'm currently trying to secure the numbers since their respective launches to do so properly.

[ ] I really want to beef up that "Next-Gen Lead Over Wii" chart. What does it need? I think I could actually change the type of chart, but I could also add some different logos or something. Suggestions welcome. Post in the comments for immediate feedback.

Jtyettis said:
Aye, with the rumored price points, with Fable 2 and Gears, indeed. I see nothing but a stellar holiday once again for the platform this Christmas.
With a $199 core and a $39.99 Banjo & Kazooie or Viva Pinata 2 game you could get a game and a console for the same price of a wii. I could see one conosle standing out of all. That's a sweet deal for the present seeking mother.

Revelations said:
With a $199 core and a $39.99 Banjo & Kazooie or Viva Pinata 2 game you could get a game and a console for the same price of a wii. I could see one conosle standing out of all. That's a sweet deal for the present seeking mother.

Or even a $199 core with one(or both, but not holding breath) of those games.

mabuza said:
quoting some shitty gametrailer awards in their pr now? has it really come to this ms?:lol :lol :lol

Calm before the storm. WTF else can you say 2 years and 7 months into your prime? A fine and good "Everything is Hunky dory" will do for now.

Top Bottom