• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Funny, I was only half paying attention when I started reading the MS PR, because I didn't even realize it WAS their PR.

I stopped reading because I figured "who the fuck cares about The G-Phoria awards?"

Tobor

I just wanted to chime in on the awesome Civ Rev sales. Well deserved.

Any idea how the DS version did? I purchased both. :D

jjasper

Looks like the fake price drop help MS about as much as it helped Sony last year.

I wonder what Civ Rev would have sold if they actually shipped enough copies.

Tobor

DeaconKnowledge said:
How is the DS version?

It's great. The graphics are obviously lower quality, and it's missing the Civiopedia. On the other hand, the game moves a little faster than the 360 version, and it's portable Civ. Thumbs way, way up.

scitek

Did I just read right that the Wii is on pace to sell almost 20 million units worldwide this YEAR?!!? (If it sells a million a month in Nov./Dec. it might reack 20 mil.)

That's fucking INSANE!

Flakster99

MikeE21286 said:
Quick Question for everyone in here......

Does anyone see ANY games yet to release on the PS3 or 360 that can change the course of the tides (i.e. the Wii dominating)

Because I don't see a single one, maybe LBP.....but that is a BIIIIG stretch of the imagination

If someone chooses to become logically challenged or intentionally disregard facts for their own bias then sure.

donny2112 said:
apr2008.gif

Was quite the death blow for Sony/Microsoft/analysts around the world.

DuckRacer

MikeE21286 said:
Quick Question for everyone in here......

Does anyone see ANY games yet to release on the PS3 or 360 that can change the course of the tides (i.e. the Wii dominating)

Because I don't see a single one, maybe LBP.....but that is a BIIIIG stretch of the imagination
Nothing, really.

Sony has GT5 that'll sell some systems whenever it's released in 2010 or whatever. Actually, by the time it releases we'll be hearing about next-gen systems and won't care about PS3 vs 360 and the related bullshit. They also have LittleBigPlanet which can be huge. That is, it can be huge assuming Sony drops the price of the PS3 by $200, and then proceeds to bundle it with everything... and then market the living hell out of the bundle and the game. Which won't happen, but dreaming is cool.

Microsoft has Gears 2 which might boost sales with the $199 360. Considering GTA4 didn't do shit though with the exclusive dlc, I'm doubtful it'll do anything.

Microsoft also has the $199 Arcade, $40 family games, "New Xbox Experience," et cetera. If they market it well, this whole combination could be huge. Could. I'm not saying it will, because people might not care about Miitoos, think the Rare games are too complex, and would rather buy a Wii for whatever reason. And if this happens then MS has no more serious system sellers, unless Halo 4 (if it even exists) does something truly wicked.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Revelations said:
With a $199 core and a $39.99 Banjo & Kazooie or Viva Pinata 2 game you could get a game and a console for the same price of a wii. I could see one conosle standing out of all. That's a sweet deal for the present seeking mother.

The present seeking mother is not able to find a wii anyways....
You will only find a wii if you are looking specifically for a wii...

Might increase 360 sales, but it wont affect wii sales... not while the wii is sold out in the US.

DiddyBop

the PS3's situation now compared to last yr is just amazing. it looked dead in the water this time last yr but now its selling very well and its still a nosebleed price of 400 at its cheapest. sony must be very pleased. i dont expect a price drop until next xmas unless MS makes its supposed move this fall.

glad to see the pss still selling well. guitar hero ds is a huge surprise,wow,did not expect that at all,how much did it sell last month?

Flakster99

MikeE21286 said:
I don't....I just don't think that people buying the Wii are even looking at or care about the PS3 or 360

Who knows? Using the good ole 'gut' feeling are ya?

I'm trying to understand how you calculate how many 'active Wii users' may or may not own another console, may or may not be interested in other console's software.

Redd

MikeE21286 said:
I don't....I just don't think that people buying the Wii are even looking at or care about the PS3 or 360

You're wrong. I own a Wii and PS3 myself. Mostly playing Madden 09 and the PS3 version of Lego Indiana Jones.

boiled goose

good with gravy
DiddyBop said:
the PS3's situation now compared to last yr is just amazing. it looked dead in the water this time last yr but now its selling very well and its still a nosebleed price of 400 at its cheapest. sony must be very pleased. i dont expect a price drop until next xmas unless MS makes its supposed move this fall.

glad to see the pss still selling well. guitar hero ds is a huge surprise,wow,did not expect that at all,how much did it sell last month?

I think that ironically the ps3 was in part saved by the 360.
The 360 did well enough and got enough software sales in its first year to acquire great third party support. All of these games got PS3 versions that kept the PS3 alive. PS3 has got a good library now due to all these games.

amtentori said:
The present seeking mother is not able to find a wii anyways....
You will only find a wii if you are looking specifically for a wii...

Might increase 360 sales, but it wont affect wii sales... not while the wii is sold out in the US.
Hard to say at this point because it will be a new situation. A console priced a whole games worth lower than the wii can be mighty enticing. What it does is present an actual no holds barred choice

Opiate

Flakster99 said:
Who knows? Using the good ole 'gut' feeling are ya?

I'm trying to understand how you calculate how many 'active Wii users' may or may not own another console, may or may not be interested in other console's software.

NPD revealed last week that the PS3 is actually the system that is most likely to be in a multi-console home, not the Wii.

Redd said:
You're wrong. I own a Wii and PS3 myself. Mostly playing Madden 09 and the PS3 version of Lego Indiana Jones.

anecdotal evidence kills me yet again....and yes, I'm going on "gut"....nothing wrong with that.

Can anybody contribute an LTD for Samurai Warriors Katana on Wii? My curiosity since last NPD hasn't abated---gems in the rough like this game have me salivating over the possibilities for this Winter's lineup.

gantz85

Banned
Struct09 said:
Yeah, but not by much. While it's great for Sony that they're outselling their competition, Microsoft still has a 4 million+ unit lead in the US. If they continued at their current pace, it would take them ~17 years to catch the Xbox 360 in the US.

But anything can happen this gen. I've given up trying to predict things :p

That 4 million+ lead was built by that one-year early entry into the market :lol

If you match the timescales it is probably the case that PS3 first 18 months > 360 first 18 months (US).

voltron

Playstation 3 225k

Xbox 360 205k

Thats a difference of only 20k units you fucking fanboys.

"360 dead and buried?" "360 in trouble?" Give me a goddam break. You guys are fucking pathetic.

voltron said:

"360 dead and buried?" "360 in trouble?" Give me a goddam break. You guys are fucking pathetic.

Calm yourself. 20,000 units is 20,000 units. Sony continues to creep on Microsoft. The war is getting hot.

thuway

voltron said:

The reason people are ushering in those quotes is because of the environment the 360 is in.

1.The 360 JUST had a price drop.

2. The 360 JUST announced FFXIII multiplat.

Two huge factors that should have contributed to massive sales.

---

I can garuntee you this, if the PS3 was priced at 299 right now, there would be pandemonium at the charts.

NolbertoS

I wonder how long before Wii HD will come out, if ever. The way Nintendo is selling feels like the old NES days when Famicom was selling like hotcakes and MS was the Sega Genesis and battling for No. 2, now it's a 3 way race and Nintendo is teaching MS and Sony that they were they were the leaders of videogaming for a reason in the past, and just cuz they lost there cool status during the GC era, doesn't mean they can't regain it and now everything is Wii this and Wii that. I'm eager to see how long will this gen end and somebody try to jump the gun and release a next-gen consoler sooner than expected.

Gaborn

thuway said:
The reason people are ushering in those quotes is because of the environment the 360 is in.

In fairness the second point isn't really a factor, or shouldn't be. Games don't usually see a massive hardware shift on POTENTIAL, they shift hardware when they're released (and then it's arguable how much software moves hardware)

Rallyhawk

gantz85 said:
That 4 million+ lead was built by that one-year early entry into the market :lol

If you match the timescales it is probably the case that PS3 first 18 months > 360 first 18 months (US).

I would tend to agree with this more than anything. Microsoft got a "free" year to build a healthy lead at the start, and chances are that Sony will get a "free" year at the end to close most of, if not all or more, of the gap. And things will be closely back-and-forth in the middle.

Zoe

I'm very shocked at PS3 > 360. I really thought the 80GB shortages would have done it in. Can't wait to see the August NPD.

thuway said:

---

I can garuntee you this, if the PS3 was priced at 299 right now, there would be pandemonium at the charts.

1. An unadvertised Pricedrop from MSFT. No one knew about it because it was not really a bonafied drop. It was spur of the moment reaction to already liquidating sku. Therefore no posters by MSFT. No commercials. No pricedrop marketing.

2. Inegligeble. Not a factor

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 218.9K
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 155.8K

2 million copies shipped my ass lol

nib95

Banned
Revelations said:
1. An unadvertised Pricedrop from MSFT. No one knew about it because it was not really a bonafied drop. It was spur of the moment reaction to already liquidating sku. Therefore no posters by MSFT. No commercials. No pricedrop marketing.

2. Inegligeble. Not a factor

Shop fronts had the new lowered price slapped on them, and there were posters and so on. That's how we learnt about the price drop before it was announced in the first place, leaked posters and literature from the big stores.

A price drops a price drop, and it doesn't really matter how loudly Microsoft announce it (outside of actual advertising) since people realise as much the moment they walk in to a store, and it reads "new lower price" or whatever.

Arde5643

MikeE21286 said:
anecdotal evidence kills me yet again....and yes, I'm going on "gut"....nothing wrong with that.

Arde5643 said:
Facts, smachts. Who needs facts when you have gut?
Facts can be analyzed, charted, spun, checked for trending - but gut, you can't do anything to gut.
It can't be debated, argued, convinced otherwise, belittled, taken seriously, or even predicted. Y'know why?

Cause people who live by gut ain't got no time and no mind of their own to think about anything else other than their gut, y'know?

Amirite, MikeE21286?
You go, gut-man.

nib95 said:
Shop fronts had the new lowered price slapped on them, and there were posters and so on. That's how we learnt about the price drop before it was announced in the first place, leaked posters and literature from the big stores.

A price drops a price drop, and it doesn't really matter how loudly Microsoft announce it (outside of actual advertising) since people realise as much the moment they walk in to a store, and it reads "new lower price" or whatever.
Shop posters is one thing. But hype for it is another. You can't expect to drop the price and have no one know about it. It was a low key price drop by MSFT. People don't got into a shop everyday. The only way you could have knwon about this small bit of a drop is if you visit the shop on a regular. Hell they didn't even annouce it. Certain retailers did that. a $50 drop on one sku won't turn heads and MSFT knew that, tis why they didn't push it. MSFT didn't push it because it was a non factor for them. Why waste money on that when they have a bigger drop coming in Sept. Yes it takes money to advertise a price drop...something MS didn't need to do for that.

Slurmer said:
Microsoft underperformed. I don't remember people defending the PS3 after its fire sale had similar results.
Underperformed? It's July the middle of summer. Sony & MSFT were lucky to get even over 200k. And the unequivocal fire slae isn't even done with. Still plenty of 20GB's left.

gantz85

Banned
What started out as 360 trampling the PS3 has now become a thread with the fanboys going NO MAN NO MAN : ((( IS NOT DEAD YET NO MAN :(((

Of course, 360 isn't dead, and will not die, and will do VERY well this end-year with Gears of War 2 being released. That game will sell like hotcakes and easy hit 3-4 million in 2008.

On the other hand, saying that PS3's YTD lead of ~400,000 is "negligible" is a joke -- against the LTD sales it might be, but against YTD sales it constitutes about a 25% lead over 360. Whatever the confluence of factors, sales are beginning to pick up. Even when you argue that the 360 has almost double the PS3 LTD installed base, the software sales for NCAA and SCIV are split 60-40 towards the 360. That is pretty impressive.

Before I go on, I must say that the Nintendo fans don't even need to step into the NPD thread anymore :lol :lol :lol

I think the general software line up for 360 vs PS3 this year-end for the US leans heavily towards the 360. Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and Fallout 3 with exclusive content leads over Sony's line of Resistance 2, LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM, Motorstorm 2... etc in terms of IP dominance. I think LBP is a wildcard, and even if it proves to be a great selling game it would be one with persistent sales and long legs rather than one with a hit-and-run effect like MGS4. Given all this plus 360's sales drop, I would think that 360 would perform better this end-year, which is crucial since the monthly volume of sales then is typically double or more against the other months..

But who knows? :D

thuway said:

---

Who the fuck buys a system well after launch based on an announcement? Were you expecting people to buy a 360 and twiddle their thumbs until FFXIII comes out?

Iksenpets

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
are they not counting Wii Play and instead counting some mystery #11 Xbox 360 game?

I think they only count console games, so GH: On Tour doesn't count. They've done the same thing in their spin before.

Asherdude

I know a guy who's wanting to get a 360, but he's holding out for Septembers price drop. Maybe that price drop rumor is what hurt their sales?

LBP will not change the tide of anything. It might sell humongous, but I highly doubt it has any quality to say it will change the tide.

It's way too restricted to really take advantage of the usercreated stuff because it doesn't use the mouse, and it will be somewhat difficult to market thing to women and passerby gamers since it seems a bit too complex(without the aid of a mouse) to really grasp what you're supposed to do with it other than it looks cute.

I'm sure it will be a hit to the Sony faithful and your typical GAf poster though.

jimbo

Banned
thuway said:

---

:lol This is where GAF vs real world collide. A lot of hardcore gamers still don't understand most people don't know/care about E3 and announcements like FFXIII, and those that WOULD care still don't buy consoles based on game announcements.

NolbertoS

Oblivion said:
Uh....why is this thread growing so short?

Xbox fanboys are still in shock or denial that PS3 has actually beaten them in HW Sales. Initially I never bothered to enter these silly fanboy wars, but now, I'm honestly detesting the Xbox fanboys more and more. Luckily I never entered the NPD thread during last gen, as I'm sure it was full of Nintendo diehards defending the GC like crazy and now the tables have turned.

Top Bottom