• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

Azrael said:
All Kagari, etc. said was they couldn't keep the PS3 version in stock, not that it was selling more than the 360 version, which isn't contradicted by the numbers at all. Retailers didn't order enough copies of the PS3 version to meet demand.
Ehn, you can't blame people for misinterpreting Kagari. She does try to paint a particular picture.

AniHawk

Zzoram said:
:lol

Every Wii game on the charts has a peripheral.

They're more gimmicks than they are games.

It's pretty telling when every piece of software on a Nintendo system in the top ten needs a device to sell it.

weepy

Ysiadmihi said:
Posts like this make me very happy the Wii is "winning".

You know, if you switched the 'h' and the 'i' in your screen name it would spell out "hi i'm daisy" backwards...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, I'm sure the PS3 is going to have a banner August and all, with all the Amazon top ten data I collected...

Gaborn

AniHawk said:

It's pretty telling when every piece of software on a Nintendo system in the top ten needs a device to sell it.

And even more telling that games on the PS3 simply aren't selling at all.

Thanks for the happy comments regarding the GIFs, very glad you enoyed them. A few people has been asking for a Sony one. Well, I did make one for an earlier thread but I wasn't going to post it as its not as strong as the MS or Ninty ones. But if you really want to see it...

gaftrek3.gif

Tom_Cody said:
The Ferengi are perfect for Nintendo.

Xenon said:
yes they are. :lol

The races parallel more than I originally realised. As I explained in the other thread.

Mama Robotnik said:
The Ferengi are not bothered about expanding their empire (Blu-Ray; Microsoft in the Living Room). They are focussed on business, pure and simple. If there is demand for anything (casual games), they will follow the money.

At the beginning of DS9 and in Next Generation, the Ferengi were pretty viscious and violent towards their competitors (Old Nintendo), selling weapons and only allowing men into their industry (Hardcore). By the end of DS9, the old Nagus (Yamauchi) passed on the torch to a new, younger Nagus who thought very differently (Iwata). A revolution occured, in which Ferengi society opened up its business to females (Casual Market).

Damnit, I've made a continuity here.

Mama Robotnik said:
I chose the Romulans because they are a species that likes to scheme and plot to achieve individual progress. It reminded me of the way, when the PS3 was being concieved and created, the different departments of Sony were not working with each other, but going in different directions (ie Kutaragi and Stringer). It reminded me of the Romulan Senate. They also have a habit of sneaking in their forces or weapons into the market under cloak. They did this many times in Next Gen, and it reminded me of Blu Ray.

Just to complete my sad, sad explanation, I chose the Klingons for Microsoft because they are a conflicted culture. They are a people of honour and combat (hardcore) trying to exist in a universe that the majority of which does not share their values (casual). They try to be both at the same time, as shown at E3, and its not working. As Penny Arcade explained, they don't seem to know who their target market is.

Stop your search now for a more nerdy post of Neogaf, because none will exceed my efforts today.

thuway

Gaborn said:
What in the hell are you talking about? Someone is one bitter troll. The PS3 sales have been on a recent upswing. Just this time last year - there was still a 2:1 lead with 360:pS3 sales. That ratio has gone down considerably.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This NPD just confirms MS blew it by waiting to long on a price cut. It should of happened 3 weeks before GTA4. MS has no momentum what so ever and it will be lucky to get any this fall. I think we will see the 360 below 150k august NPD thanks to the price cut leaking out so far in advance. I don't think a 79/50/50 price cut will do much any ways just way to small this far into the game. I guess the good news is they might squeak out a small profit this generation.

MobiusPigeon said:
you know you can say the same about sony for the fall & christmas. what will they to combat netflix? gears? and a price drop? and new LIVE? NOTHING. and during the busiest time of the year. WHEN IT COUNTS. sony blew their load too early. bail out. :lol

You know, if you look past some fanboyish excesses, there's a lot of truth here. MS is coming with A LOT this fall. You add a price drop to the broad content they have coming and yes, it WILL make a difference.

As for Sony, the only product they have this holiday that could be REALLY interesting is LBP. But we have NO idea how that will appeal to the masses. MGS4 was big for them, but its over now. It doesn't have legs. And while they have some interesting product coming, the appeal of said product is arguable.

Long story short, we must be really bored when we want to argue about sales numbers in JULY. Let's all go play some Braid, BC:R or R&C:QfB or something while waiting for Too Human and Mercenaries 2.

ElFly

AniHawk said:

Do they even make Mario Kart Wii without a wheel?

PS3 Continues to Experience Strong Momentum; PS3 Demonstrates Hardware Sales Growth of 99 Percent Year-to-Date; PS3 Software Sales Growth Exceeds 206 Percent Year-to-Date

Total PlayStation Hardware Unit Sales Top 602,176

PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) again posted strong sales in July 2008, selling 224,900 hardware units, driven by the continued popularity of the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots PS3 bundle. From January to July 2008, more than 1.8 million PS3s have been sold in the U.S., representing a year-to-date hardware sales growth of 99%.

* Fueled by the introduction of 10 new first and third-party titles to the PS3 Greatest Hits program — including blockbusters such as MotorStorm, Warhawk, Resistance: Fall of Man and others — PS3 software sales showed growth of 206% year-to-date.
* SCEA will introduce an unmatched software line-up this holiday season and fiscal year with more than 140 first and third-party titles on Blu-ray disc for PS3, including SOCOM: US Navy SEALs Confrontation, Resistance 2, Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, NBA ‘09: The Inside, and the award-winning LittleBigPlanet.
* The popularity of PLAYSTATION®Network continued to grow in July with the new PLAYSTATION Network video delivery service on PLAYSTATION®Store, the release of the Qore's Episode 03 and the launch of highly-anticipated games such as PixelJunk Eden and Siren: Blood Curse. As of June 2008, there are more than 10 million registered PLAYSTATION Network accounts worldwide and approximately 200 million pieces of content downloaded worldwide.

PSP experienced solid sales in July with 221,651 PSP hardware units sold, spurred by continued sales of the God of War: Chains of Olympus PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) bundle. This represents a year-to-date growth of 16%.

PlayStation®2 (PS2) also had a solid month in July, selling 155,510 hardware units. More than 42.5 million PS2s have been sold in the U.S. as of July 2008.

Power of the PlayStation Portfolio

The PlayStation brand continued to generate impressive sales across all three platforms, earning $388.6 million in July.
· Year to date (Jan-July), the PlayStation brand generated almost $3.3 billion in revenue, representing an increase of more than 22% year-to-date.
· PlayStation total hardware revenue was $608.7 million in July, representing a year-to-date growth of 23%.
· PlayStation total software revenue in July was $183.6 million, representing a year-to-date growth of over 28%.

CEO Perspective

"Our year-to-date sales growth of 99% for the PS3 reaffirms that consumers are indeed embracing PS3 as their entertainment hub-of-choice with its feature-rich offerings like Blu-ray and our recently announced video delivery service. With an unmatched software line-up that includes LittleBigPlanet, SOCOM: Confrontation, Resistance 2 and MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, and the anticipated launch of our new 80GB PS3 model, we're confident in a strong second half of the year and look forward to quickly addressing any inventory shortages due to the transition.

- Jack Tretton, president and CEO, Sony Computer Entertainment America

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stop It said:
Oh, I missed GH:On Tour, Fuck me, I expect OT2 (Guitar Hero OT: Iron Maiden to go, say this Acti and I will forgive you for your current sins) to be announced....about now I suppose

Uhh, was announced at E3 dude. On Tour Decades, coming in the next month or so I think.

Azrael

Segata Sanshiro said:
Ehn, you can't blame people for misinterpreting Kagari. She does try to paint a particular picture.

So she likes the PS3? Her retail musings are in line with official sales numbers during the time she was posting them. It's not like the jerks insulting her are free of system warrior agendas.

AniHawk

Gaborn said:

I see two PS3 games in the top ten that needed no extra devices to sell.

If it wasn't bundled, MGS4 would be at the #10 spot instead of the Sid Meier's thing.

Azrael said:
So she likes the PS3? Her retail musings are in line with official sales numbers during the time she was posting them. It's not like the jerks insulting her are free of system warrior agendas.
I'm just saying, it's not hard to misinterpret someone who makes deliberate attempts to deceive.

Gaborn

thuway said:
What in the hell are you talking about? Someone is one bitter troll. The PS3 sales have been on a recent upswing. Just this time last year - there was still a 2:1 lead with 360:pS3 sales. That ratio has gone down considerably.

I'm not trolling, I'm looking at software data for the last few months. Yes a game like MGS4 will move software and consoles for a month or so, but then it tends to disappear quickly. Compare that to the Wii where you have games that stick around as high sellers month after month after month. The 360 also suffers from relatively poor staying power of their software but not to the same extent, they have seen some of their games last a couple months in the top 10 or so.

Anihawk - Evidence that MGS4 would be in the top 10 if not for bundled software?

Azrael

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm just saying, it's not hard to misinterpret someone who makes deliberate attempts to deceive.

I never read her posts as PS3 Civ Rev is outselling the 360 version. I'm not seeing the deception.

Gaborn

AniHawk said:
No shit. That's why I said I was guessing.

And why you claimed with no disclaimer that MGS4 would be at #10 in the software charts if bundled software was included. You have no evidence for that claim and sales age doesn't rely on conjecture.

thuway

Azrael said:
I never read her posts as PS3 Civ Rev is outselling the 360 version. I'm not seeing the deception.
I have no intentions of adding oil to any fires (and I think Kagari is a robot that spews venonmous lies), but I have colleagues who work at Gamestop.

I just got off the phone with one of them and he told me the PS3 version of that game was undershipped. Stores got way more copies of it on the 360.

AniHawk

Gaborn said:
And why you claimed with no disclaimer that MGS4 would be at #10 in the software charts if bundled software was included. You have no evidence for that claim and sales age doesn't rely on conjecture.

Well isn't it pretty obvious?

Crisis said:
The 360 isn't going to do well in August but I'm willing to bet that if the rumored September 7 pricedrop is real then they're going to do very well that month and probably for the rest of the year.
this. aslong as the pricedrop is true.

AniHawk

Gaborn said:
That you pulled the numbers out of your ass? Yes.

If the game wasn't bundled, the boost that put the PS3 over the 360 would've been represented in software numbers.

Still, you avoid my point of the PS3 having two pieces of software in the top 10. That's not a sign of software not selling. When you consider the userbase is half the 360's, it's actually pretty good.

Gaborn

AniHawk said:
If the game wasn't bundled, the boost that put the PS3 over the 360 would've been represented in software numbers.

Sure, but would that have been sufficient to put MGS4 ahead of CivRev for 360? I don't know because I don't have that information in front of me. My guess is it wouldn't make enough ground to move it up that high but I could be wrong.

Still, you avoid my point of the PS3 having two pieces of software in the top 10. That's not a sign of software not selling. When you consider the userbase is half the 360's, it's actually pretty good.

I should have said that the PS3 is not showing any sustained software success. That is, it sells software month to month as people jump on new software and then quickly dies down, it's not showing any of the consistency in sales that a solid software selling platform needs to sell.

dyls

AniHawk said:

SC IV needed Star Wars to sell.

And Mario Kart might've sold a shitload more if it's numbers weren't held back by being packaged with the wheel.

Anyway, the 360 is turning into the also-ran we all knew it would be. It's just continuing its slow decline into total worldwide irrelevance. Of course, GAF will be the last to accept that, insisting that the next price cut/big title is all it needs. The only real problem I have with the agonizing death of the 360 is how much more obnoxious it will make the many here who love it more than it deserves. You think the Dreamcast worshipers are annoying? Just wait.

Banned
dyls said:
Anyway, the 360 is turning into the also-ran we all knew it would be. It's just continuing its slow decline into total worldwide irrelevance. Of course, GAF will be the last to accept that, insisting that the next price cut/big title is all it needs. The only real problem I have with the agonizing death of the 360 is how much more obnoxious it will make the many here who love it more than it deserves. You think the Dreamcast worshipers are annoying? Just wait.

What the fuck is this shit. The PS3 wins by 20,000 units and the 360 is dead? Shut the fuck up idiot.

thuway

dyls said:
SC IV needed Star Wars to sell.

And Mario Kart might've sold a shitload more if it's numbers weren't held back by being packaged with the wheel.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

dyls

goldenpp72 said:
wow dyls, troll much?

No, not that often. I just want to go on record as saying that the 360 is on its way down saleswise. It's games will continue to appease those who love it.

It has no mindshare outside of the hardcore who already own it. it's mass market appeal is nil, and MS knows it. Hence their E3.

Iksenpets

Banned
Ouch @ 360 and MGS legs. I didn't expect MGS to top the chart again, but I certainly expected it to be on there. And the 360 sales after the 20 gig clearance are just sad.

Top Bottom