• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2008 NPD Results Thread

MS is really starting to reap what they sowed with regards to not taking care of their momentum via well-timed price drops.

And of course MGS4 is out of the top ten. A game like that isn't liable to keep pulling in big numbers month after month. I doubt Konami's upset either way.

Good for Civ, tsk tsk at Rock Band Wii, and a continued wow at Guitar Hero DS.

gtj1092

Frillen said:
I predict the MGS4 PS3 bundle sold somewhere between 20k-40k in July. In other words, insignificant to total MGS4 sales and July sales. But Sony fans, please continue with the bundle spin, it's hilarious to watch.

Yes yes you are right why don't you tell us more. What game placed at the one hundredth in NPD this month? You do realize they were clearing the channels of 40GB right. My area hasn't seen a 40GB in a month in fact the only price listed on the shelf is the 499 for the MGS bundle.

MikeHaggar said:
a lot of people seem to think that the pricedrop next month is going to help microsoft, but i'm not so sure. the arcade is already fairly cheap, yet no one seems to want one. i think that there's more people out there that realize it is the 'gimped' version than we at neogaf assume.
Wrong. It's not cheap. The Arcade is $280 and thats not with a game. With a game it's close to $340 w/ tax. The price drop will take $80 off and price it under the wii. That's alot of weighing factors.

Grecco

Agent Icebeezy said:
I'm not saying that the 360 is doomed. I'm saying that they need to be more proactive. I've seen Microsoft back in the media with the NCAA commercials and Madden commercials. September should be a good month. Price drop with Fable 2 for starters.

Again it makes more sense to make a price cut coincide with their casual plataform, the xbox experience. avatars and things like scene it and lips.

They are barely loosing now, still outsell the competitors software wise, and are profitable.

So yeah i dont see why a serious price cut needs to happen now instrad of a month or two from now

Segata Sanshiro said:
MS is really starting to reap what they sowed with regards to not taking care of their momentum via well-timed price drops.

And of course MGS4 is out of the top ten. A game like that isn't liable to keep pulling in big numbers month after month. I doubt Konami's upset either way.

Good for Civ, tsk tsk at Rock Band Wii, and a continued wow at Guitar Hero DS.
If MGS4 isn't made to sell consoles consistenly what exclusive PS3 game is in the west? Seriously.
I'm pretty sure Konami didn't expect that big of a drop off for MGS4 in the US. The most popular area where it sells at. If the top is anyrhing to go by MGS4 sold under 150k.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Looks like MGS4 is gone and things are going back down for PS3. MS needs to do something about 360 HW sales though.

360 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 218.9K
PS3 SOUL CALIBUR IV NAMCO BANDAI GAMES OF AMERICA JULY 2008 155.8K
Even Vader on the cover couldn't put SCIV PS3 on top, I wonder what the difference is in Europe. I remember the 360 version debuted above the PS3 version in the UK, some of the other countries didn't even separate the 2.

Jammy

Banned
Does anybody have the LTDs for Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart Wii, and Wii Play?

Rock Band Wii has done ~400,000 in just a month and a week or two. It's going to be interesting to see how Lego Indiana Jones and Guitar Hero: Aerosmith also performed. The same goes with SSBB.

EDIT: :lol @ Scamco. 2 million Soul Calibur IVs is bullshit.

Segata Sanshiro said:

Big numbers fine, but an absolute collapse from the top ten after dominating June NPD raises a lot of eyebrows.

As for the 360 price drop shit, I don't see why MS would drop the price at this time of year anyway. Yeah they're due, but a price drop would do much more damage in September onward. A July pricedrop not spurred by software would be pointless.

Gbeav

Banned
Narcosis said:
I'm not quite sure I understand Panther Lotus's chart, specifically the percentages in comparison to number of units, because the numbers don't seem to mesh (PSP at 35% and pS3 at 5% with an almost equal # of units?)

PS2 numbers are omitted for some reason.

People buy Wiis for no good reason

Ugh you people are nuts. Everyone buys a console for a variety of good reasons that come along with that console. Wii, 360, and PS3 all have good reasons for owning them.

Its just Wii has more from a "willing to buy perspective"

No_Style

I was pretty damn close for the NDS, PSP and PS2. Overshot the PS3 and 360, but underestimated the Wii.

MGS4 drop off is understandable.

Weisheit

Revelations said:
Wrong. It's not cheap. The Arcade is $280 and thats not with a game. With a game it's close to $340 w/ tax. The price drop will take $80 off and price it under the wii. That's alot of weighing factors.
It's only a $30 difference now, and thats just in the US. Everywhere else the Arcade is already cheaper, in some places the Premium is the same price as the Wii. The price drop wont change anything.

DeaconKnowledge said:
As for the 360 price drop shit, I don't see why MS would drop the price at this time of year anyway. Yeah they're due, but a price drop would do much more damage in September onward. A July pricedrop not spurred by software would be pointless.

Sounds to me like it was just a quick decision to liquidate excess baggage. They already switched to a more viable sku solution. That fluke of a $50 drop was just sweetener.

Notce MSFT didnt even bother to advertise that bullshot price drop themselves. No commercials for it ro anything. Baffles me why people thought something like would move systems.

fernoca

Struct09 said:
If they continued at their current pace, it would take them ~17 years to catch the Xbox 360 in the US.
Years? :O!
17 years = 204 months
204 months x 225,000 PS3s = 45,900,000 PS3s??

Xbox 360 = ~46 million in the US? Right now?! :O!

:p

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Grecco said:
Again it makes more sense to make a price cut coincide with their casual plataform, the xbox experience. avatars and things like scene it and lips.

They are barely loosing now, still outsell the competitors software wise, and are profitable.

So yeah i dont see why a serious price cut needs to happen now instrad of a month or two from now

When I sit back and look from a business perspective. I fully understand. It's just that I've been a Microsoft fan for the longest. This was way before the Xbox. I guess I'm just so used to seeing them drop the price and just tell the competitors to suck it and deal with it.

However, I'm glad that my favorite platform is garnering a profit. I feel confident in saying that Microsoft will do a lot better with what they have in the fall and winter, compared to the competitors.

jj984jj said:
Looks like MGS4 is gone and things are going back down for PS3. MS needs to do something about 360 HW sales though.

Even Vader on the cover couldn't put SCIV PS3 on top, I wonder what the difference is in Europe. I remember the 360 version debuted above the PS3 version in the UK, some of the other countries didn't even separate the 2.

Hell, even I bought SC4 for the PS3 since I have a better stick.

CoG

MGS3 sold ~4M it's first year. MGS4 sold > 1M it's first month in the US, probably 2.5M world-wide. Considering the PS2 had a much, much larger install base than the PS3 MGS3->MGS4 I'd say sales are right about in line as to where they should be.

Weisheit said:
It's only a $30 difference now, and thats just in the US. Everywhere else the Arcade is already cheaper, in some places the Premium is the same price as the Wii. The price drop wont change anything.
And? Thats $30 too much when you want a game and extra controller with your system as well. $199 sounds way better when you add in other shit. Please spare me on your [Only] rhetoric. It won't compute when you are saving near $100 dollars.

In Australia where the 360 was cheaper than the wii. MSFT saw a varied increase in sales traffic. Thier highest in the country since launch. If thats any indication knowing how small that market is what do you think it would do for the largest gaming market.

sfog

The Arcade is $280 and thats not with a game.

Actually, it does come with a game. A 5 game XBLA compilation, which has Pac-Man Championship Edition, Uno, Boom Boom Rocket and two others that I can't remember.

Weisheit

Revelations said:
And? Thats $30 too much when you want a game and extra controller with your system as well.
That didn't stop Sony from embarrassing the GC every single month last gen.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
MGS3 sold ~4M it's first year. MGS4 sold > 1M it's first month in the US, probably 2.5M world-wide. Considering the PS2 had a much, much larger install base than the PS3 MGS3->MGS4 I'd say sales are right about in line as to where they should be.

why not compare directly to MGS2? It was on a much more similar time line than MGS3 surely?

botticus

Opiate said:
Out of curiosity, when was the last time that the Wii had the best selling game of the month?
Brawl in March.

Gaborn said:
This is the crux of the problem with this line of thinking. Gamers aren't necessarily buying the Wii for their NEW games (well, some are obviously) they're buying them for their already released quality games. Take for example MHP2G in Japan, it's been out for a long while but it's still selling well, if you release a "must have" game then people will continue to join the party to buy them. The 360 and PS3 both have very solid lineups of games, but they haven't yet found that "hook" game that the Wii has, and the Wii has several of them that are driving sales of the console, and one happens to be bundled with the console.
Even moreso, the Wii's continued sold-out status impacts this as well. Mario Kart might have been a system seller for 175k people this month, who would have bought it in April had they been able to find a console on the shelf.

Revelations said:
And? Thats $30 too much when you want a game and extra controller with your system as well. $199 sounds way better when you add in other shit. Please spare me on your [Only] rhetoric. It won't compute when you are saving near $100 dollars.

In Australia where the 360 was cheaper than the wii. MSFT saw a varied increase in sales traffic. Thier highest in the country since launch. If thats any indication knowing how small that market is what do you think it would do for the largest gaming market.

All this arguing for a "varied increase"? Don't you think that's a little silly?

A price drop will help Microsoft, but it's not gonna turn it into some sales juggernaut.

sfog said:
Actually, it does come with a game. A 5 game XBLA compilation, which has Pac-Man Championship Edition, Uno, Boom Boom Rocket and two others that I can't remember.
But thats not how it works. People are going to buy a $60 game with system. The 5 XBLA titles is icing.

Weisheit said:
That didn't stop Sony from embarrassing the GC every single month last gen.
Thats because the GC had shit games and no third party.

Revelations said:
If MGS4 isn't made to sell consoles consistenly what exclusive PS3 game is in the west? Seriously.
I don't know. Last I checked, taking care of Sony's interests isn't my problem. I'm just saying that a concluding chapter of a heavily story-based game series that has a following that skews extremely hardcore is going to be very front-loaded. It just stands to reason. It being on the PS3 surely isn't helping, but to my surprise I don't think it's hurting terribly either.

Jammy

Banned
Opiate said:
Out of curiosity, when was the last time that the Wii had the best selling game of the month?

March, when SSBB did 2.7 million in the U.S. and over 3 million in the whole of North America.

Mario Kart Wii came in second in April, I believe, with over 1.1 million in sales. I think it would have been hilarious if Wii Fit came out of this month as the top game, although it easily could have if the supply was there. :lol

Wii games aren't really one-hit-wonders it seems.

CoG

DCharlie said:
why not compare directly to MGS2? It was on a much more similar time line than MGS3 surely?

I don't think the series has quite the audience anymore. The dip from MGS2->MGS3 (7M > 3.7M) kind of proves it.

DeaconKnowledge said:
All this arguing for a "varied increase"? Don't you think that's a little silly?

A price drop will help Microsoft, but it's not gonna turn it into some sales juggernaut.

Varied increase in a country with a miniscule gaming market is a good preemptive example of what a rpice drop could do in larger areas.

icecream

Public Health Threat
Looks like the upper trend of the PS3 continues for this month as well.

Poor Namco, they were hoping for 2 Mil on SCIV, and in Japan + US so far it's not even close to 1 Mil... will Europe pick up the slack?

ToxicAdam

Agent Icebeezy said:
That 360 price cut better come soon.

Come on AI, you should know by now that they don't care about winning. They will be happy with that original 10 million users that are still buying tons of software. It's all about profit this generation.

The gamecube showed them the way.

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
According to NeoGAF, the PS3 is dominating the SHIT out of this console war. I, however actually looked at the numbers.

Weisheit

Revelations said:
But thats not how it works. People are going to buy a $60 game with system. The 5 XBLA titles is icing.

Why hasn't the 360 seen this effect anywhere else?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Revelations said:

facepalm2ly3.jpg

jgwhiteus

On the "Wii sales aren't driven by games" and "what games are people buying for their Wii's"...um, are people ignoring what games numbers 2, 4, 7, and 8 in the top 10 are? You have one game (okay, "game") selling 370K copies, another selling 284K copies, and the last two selling 175K and 165K copies respectively, for a total of about 1M software unit sales in the top 10 alone, with who knows what selling in the top 20/30/40, and people seriously ask, "What could possibly be selling 555K consoles a month? THE NUMBERS DON'T ADD UP! I don't think people are buying Wiis for the games!"

I'd say the Wii is the only console where you KNOW every sale is driven by the software, because it certainly isn't selling based on its BluRay / Netflix / multimedia hub capabilities.

gaheris

Oh well I guess we know where those extra Wii's will be going. Soon I think they will begin handling distribution themselves if sales prove attractive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUSN1434644020080814

- Japan's Nintendo plans a more aggressive marketing campaign in Spanish to corner Latin America's growing games market and tap growing appetite for fitness and sports titles.

"The long-term economic potential of Latin America makes this an extremely important market for video games," Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime told an industry conference in the Pacific resort of Playa Bonita on Thursday.

The campaign, which will go after non-core gamers, is expected to begin before the always busy Christmas season, but Nintendo (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research, Stock Buzz) did not say when it was due.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I don't know. Last I checked, taking care of Sony's interests isn't my problem. I'm just saying that a concluding chapter of a heavily story-based game series that has a following that skews extremely hardcore is going to be very front-loaded. It just stands to reason. It being on the PS3 surely isn't helping, but to my surprise I don't think it's hurting terribly either.
Seems to me it didnt meet Sony's console selling revelations. Nor Konami's expectations after the nose dive to under 150k it took last month.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So what do you expect to happen in NA? Paint us a picture here.
I expect a good start in its first month selling 250k+ with it steadily rising through October-November-December. Yeah I'm being modest and not overly staurating the situation.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
ToxicAdam said:
Come on AI, you should know by now that they don't care about winning. They will be happy with that original 10 million users that are still buying tons of software. It's all about profit this generation.

The gamecube showed them the way.

They care about winning over the PS3 and Sony in general. That goal has never changed. I guess we will see how this looks at the end of the year.

Spiegel

Revelations said:
Seems to me it didnt meet Sony's console selling revelations. Nor Konami's expectations after the nose dive to under 150k it took last month.

What were those expectations?
Tell us

Outselling MGS3 in one month in Usa wasn't enough

Pachael

icecream said:
Looks like the upper trend of the PS3 continues for this month as well.

Poor Namco, they were hoping for 2 Mil on SCIV, and in Japan + US so far it's not even close to 1 Mil... will Europe pick up the slack?

The most recent Japan Media Create charts had SC4 at about 150K at most, and we've got 370k here. I wouldn't think Europe sold more than 300K, so there's about 1.2 million copies of SC4 sitting in warehouses and retailers.

Hopefully it'll hit 1 mil WW soon.
(The title's one reason why people are picky about shipped and sold. It looks like Namco have only done 40% sold/shipped so far, which is small, very small)

Jammy

Banned
jgwhiteus said:
On the "Wii sales aren't driven by games" and "what games are people buying for their Wii's"...um, are people ignoring what games numbers 2, 4, 7, and 8 in the top 10 are? You have one game (okay, "game") selling 370K copies, another selling 284K copies, and the last two selling 175K and 165K copies respectively, for a total of about 1M software unit sales in the top 10 alone, with who knows what selling in the top 20/30/40, and people seriously ask, "What could possibly be selling 555K consoles a month? THE NUMBERS DON'T ADD UP! I don't think people are buying Wiis for the games!"

I'd say the Wii is the only console where you KNOW every sale is driven by the software, because it certainly isn't selling based on its BluRay / Netflix / multimedia hub capabilities.

Smartest post in the thread.

The Wii is selling because of games first and foremost, not Blu-Ray, Netflix, or whatever hub capabilities that were pimped by Sony/MS at E3. People must be blind if they can't see the sales of Mario Kart Wii, SSBB, Lego Indiana Jones, Rock Band, Guitar Hero: Aerosmith, Wii Fit, etc., on top of the fact that the bundled Wii Sports is the most important game of this generation.

The fact is that Wii has shifted far more software than any other system in history before it. It might not be one-hit passive entertainment wonders like GAF hopes, but it certainly is selling the games.

Top Bottom