• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official May 2008 NPD Thread - Wii, GTA IV, and more Wii

mabuza

Banned
i dont think ms cares even if the wii surpasses it next month
remember they got to 10million first, and you know what that means

Wii continues to dominate, 360 is falling apart.

Mario Kart and Brawl are also holding up really well. And Wii Fit should have great legs for months to come.

But 7/10 in the Top 10 being for the Wii or DS is just insane. At least it kills the whole '360 has the best software sells, Wii and DS owners don't buy games' nonsense.

jjgames said:
Man WiiFit sure was supply constrained. I thought it would sell more than that. Interesting to see what it does when Nintendo starts shipping more.

GTA IV for 360 might be at the top of the chart 3 months in a row.
Guitar Hero Aerosmith says hello.
I also expect Battlefield: Bad Company, Lego Indiana Jones and Wii Fit will give it a run.
I'm not expecting much from Ninja Gaiden II.

womfalcs3

Banned
neptunes said:
stop with the overly large gifs please (don't quote either)

it's taking 3+ minutes to load a page

Seriously. Took me a minute just to get them adblocked. That's how laggy Firefox was being.

Liquid said:
bitter tears? not even. atleast 5 people have said the same thing. it IS getting very boring. same thing every month. Wii domination, ps360 within breathing distance. Its not even a war anymore. What is there after MGS4? Nintendo has blown their load until Christmas, Sony blew their load today and MS is just stupid for dropping the price $50 damn dollars in 3 years.

What is there to look forward to? Madden sales? NPD is gonna be boring as shit until october/november/december.
Nintendo blew thier load but it looks like they will keep pumping it out until Christmas.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
KuwabaraTheMan said:

Mario Kart and Brawl are also holding up really well. And Wii Fit should have great legs for months to come.

But 7/10 in the Top 10 being for the Wii or DS is just insane. At least it kills the whole '360 has the best software sells, Wii and DS owners don't buy games' nonsense.

That wont be killed for a long long time, especially since August has Vesperia and September has Infinite Undiscovery.

donny2112

Liquid said:
What is there to look forward to? Madden sales?

I'm looking forware to seeing how NCAA 09 All-Play fares on Wii compared to the other consoles. This is the first time it's been on a Nintendo console since NCAA 05.

Liquid said:
bitter tears? not even. atleast 5 people have said the same thing. it IS getting very boring. same thing every month. Wii domination, ps360 within breathing distance. Its not even a war anymore. What is there after MGS4? Nintendo has blown their load until Christmas, Sony blew their load today and MS is just stupid for dropping the price $50 damn dollars in 3 years.

What is there to look forward to? Madden sales? NPD is gonna be boring as shit until october/november/december.

Doesn't E3 start tomorrow?

Liquid said:

outside of mgs this maybe the worst gaming summer in years.

JudgeN

KuwabaraTheMan said:

The argument was 360 is the best 3rd party software sales, all the Wii software came from Nintendo like it normally does. Do we have any numbers for GoW CoO and FFCC?

FrankT

SIP YEK NOD said:
So....Haze debuts under 100k?

Numbers would be great, but not unexpected either.

Anyhow certainly off on my PS3/360 predictions as were most, but interesting no doubt. June should be good as I see little changed except maybe a bit more of bump for the PS3 for the month 300k potential with a 5 week month, MGS4, and Wal-Mart cards.

AniHawk

Liquid said:

PS360 hasn't been in breathing distance since 2007 or maybe a bit later than that. For a while now, the Wii's been selling close to twice the combined amount of the HD systems.

farnham

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
That wont be killed for a long long time, especially since August has Vesperia and September has Infinite Undiscovery.
you seriously expect those games will outsell whatever the Wii has in store at that period..?

JudgeN said:
The argument was 360 is the best 3rd party software sales, all the Wii software came from Nintendo like it normally does. Do we have any numbers for GoW CoO and FFCC?

well the wii never got the 3rd party love like the 360 did

no effort no sale

simple as that

Guy Legend said:
I think a lot of people are out playing MGS4....

Must be nice. I'm stuck at work staring at the clock.

Liquid said:

I agree with this. It's getting boring. Wii sells by the truck load to people who watch Ellen, the PS3 and 360 are doing a slow dance with each other letting the other lead every other song, Sony shot it's load today, and MS is about 2 years late on a price drop.

Outside of the small MGS4 bump next month, it's going to be quiet in NPD for a while.

Hcoregamer00

farnham said:
you seriously expect those games will outsell whatever the Wii has in store at that period..?

No, but I expect they will do strong enough to justify having more JRPG's announced for the system.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
PS360 hasn't been in breathing distance since 2007 or maybe a bit later than that. For a while now, the Wii's been selling close to twice the combined amount of the HD systems.

I think the difference is now the big hitters have hit and nothing changed. Halo 3 and GTA4 have come and gone and Nintendo is actually expanding their dominance. I think reality has set in.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
KuwabaraTheMan said:

No, it doesn't kill that at all. The argument was 3rd party sales. No one ever argued Nintendo's own software selling on their own system. Which it does in spades.

Fady K

Didnt expect the PS3 to edge out the 360.

Hcoregamer00 said:

I really really look forward to how these two will sell in the US. Lost Odyssey did real fine for a new IP, hopefully Vesperia will bring a smile to the wonderful folks who brought us Abyss. Im also very curious as to how theyll sell in Japan.

laserbeam

Banned
schuelma said:
I think the difference is now the big hitters have hit and nothing changed. Halo 3 and GTA4 have come and gone and Nintendo is actually expanding their dominance. I think reality has set in.

This seems fitting enough. everyone happy cause the big guns coming then the crash and burn reality.

4l6jn05.gif

Kintaro said:
No, it doesn't kill that at all. The argument was 3rd party sales. No one ever argued Nintendo's own software selling on their own system. Which it does in spades.

Wii had just as many 3rd party titles in the top 10 as PS3 and 360.

pgtl_10

Stumpokapow said:
LTDs:
PS3 - 4,450,000
Wii - 10,180,000
X360 - 10,270,000

Wii Play - 5,760,000
Brawl - 3,190,000
Guitar Hero 3 Wii - 2,200,000
Mario Kart - 1,907,000
GTA4 360 - 2,721,000
GTA4 PS3 - 1,442,000

PS3 will outsell the 360 in 21 years.

So next month Nintendomination will be complete?

farnham

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
No, but I expect they will do strong enough to justify having more JRPG's announced for the system.
i hope you mean in North America.. cuz i cant see that happen in Japan at least

Liquid

Banned
AniHawk said:

ps3 and 360 within eachother. not wii.

JudgeN said:

That's the new argument, which used to be the backup one. In the past, people would claim that Wii and DS owners didn't buy games, and that the 360 slaughtered everything in overall sales.

schuelma

Kintaro said:

Well, there used to be 2 variations to the argument

The first was "Wow, great Wii hardware sales, but what are they buying. The only game in the top 10 is Wii Play and that costs 10 dollars"

That has been of course debunked

The other argument is "3rd party software doesn't sell on Wii". Which, while I would argue is a misleading argument given the lack of quality 3rd party releases, is still alive given there hasn't been a huge break out 3rd party hit (I'm not counting GH3, which for some odd reason doesn't "count' to those people, apparently because "it sells well everywhere")

farnham

Banned
so what will be the back up back up argument

the wii only has casual games (casual meaning not hardcore.. hardcore meaning what the person claiming to be hardcore likes)

about the 3rd parties sales

-> well whining about 3rd party sales will only solidify the position of Nintendo... of course the 3rd parties could say

"nah we wont even try on the wii thats a fad"

and keep developing their multi million projects on the 360 and the PS3

but if this situation continues Nintendo will keep beeing the no.1 software manufacturer on the wii...

what does that mean..? simple.. 3rd parties will have missed a huge huge opportunity..

the new wii owners are actually not that loyal to the nintendo brand as the gamecube users were..

schuelma

DeaconKnowledge said:
Wii had just as many 3rd party titles in the top 10 as PS3 and 360.

Guitar Hero doesn't count.

Why doesn't it count you may ask?

Why simple, because its a high profile, highly advertised, non gimped 3rd party game that appeals to a wide demographic.

EDarkness

donny2112 said:
I'm looking forware to seeing how NCAA 09 All-Play fares on Wii compared to the other consoles. This is the first time it's been on a Nintendo console since NCAA 05.

Donny, I think that game is doomed. I hope I'm wrong, though. That interview on IGN didn't instill me with a lot of confidence. On top of that, it doesn't have online play. I'd be real surprised if it charted.

Arde5643

schuelma said:

The first was "Wow, great Wii hardware sales, but what are they buying. The only game in the top 10 is Wii Play and that costs 10 dollars"

The other argument is "3rd party software doesn't sell on Wii". Which, while I would argue is a misleading argument given the lack of quality 3rd party releases, is still alive given there hasn't been a huge break out 3rd party hit (I'm not counting GH3, which for some odd reason doesn't "count' to those people, apparently because "it sells well everywhere")
Multiplatform games only count if it sells the least on the Wii.

Any third party game on the Wii will be compared with the AAA epic budget games on HD consoles regardless how stupid that makes the comparison.

schuelma said:
Guitar Hero doesn't count.

Why doesn't it count you may ask?

Why simple, because its a high profile, highly advertised, non gimped 3rd party game that appeals to a wide demographic.

So GTA doesn't count either, and the only 3rd party game selling is Iron Man.:lol

Sean

Banned
Crappy numbers for 360 and PS3 this month again, Wii dominates again....

Aside from the huge surprise last month (lack of GTAIV system-selling ability), NPD is getting kinda stale. Next month should hopefully be more interesting as PS3 will outsell 360 by quite a bit during June, though I guess most expect that already.

Mithos

schuelma said:

Maybe older games, games that by now have dropped in price alot?

I picked up both SoulCalibur Legends + Okami during this NPD-period, because of them being dropped in price.

schuelma

KuwabaraTheMan said:
So GTA doesn't count either, and the only 3rd party game selling is Iron Man.:lol

No, GTA counts because its fucking hardcore, man.

boiled goose

good with gravy
schuelma said:

There have been a lot of arguments:

Games dont sell.
3rd party games dont sell.
Hardcore games dont sell.
Mature games dont sell.
Only Mario sells.
Sega published games only sell if they have mario.
3rd party hardcore games dont sell.
good games dont sell.
Mature games only sell if they are resident evil.

Lots of arguments that are constantly being made and debunked using only 1 data point.

Hcoregamer00

farnham said:
i hope you mean in North America.. cuz i cant see that happen in Japan at least

Yes, I mean north america.

After all, the 360's userbase is so small in Japan that a company would die if it depended on Japan only. The best course is a simultaneous release for PS3 and XBOX 360 in Japan, and keep it exclusive on the 360 in the west.

farnham

Banned
SapientWolf said:
I'm curious about this too. Will casual gamers choose quality even if it isn't an established brand?
one of the good things of these "casual gamers" is that they dont care about the brand new releases

look at drawn to life... the game did not do great initially but is considered a huge seller on the long run..

i think many DS games are selling well under the radar like that... and many wii games will do that in the future (my sims didnt do that well initially as well but recent numbers showed a 3 million + number for both versions combined)

Hcoregamer00 said:
Yes, I mean north america.

After all, the 360's userbase is so small in Japan that a company would die if it depended on Japan only. The best course is a simultaneous release for PS3 and XBOX 360 in Japan, and keep it exclusive on the 360 in the west.
or maybe its better to just release it on the wii and keep some of the development costs in their pockets for other projects.. just a suggestion

Arde5643

Mithos said:
Maybe older games, games that by now have dropped in price alot?

I picked up both SoulCalibur Legends + Okami during this NPD-period, because of them being dropped in price.

Oh, another one - if WeSki actually sell more than Haze, some Haze defenders will claim that WeSki is only $30.00

Don't forget the budget games defense.

Top Bottom