• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OK nerds, you win. Song of Ice and Fire is gud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
i'm breezing through catching up on the TV series and it is fantastic. is the first book painful to get into if i have a bit of background with what happens, should i go straight to the second, or will the first be hard to read but i should tough it out anyway?

Do not skip any of the books.

Acidote

So... A Dance with Dragons is finally for sale in Spain.

46.00 EUR = 57.4761 USD

But there will be a soft cover edition next month for 38 euros (47USD) only.

Meh

Acidote

They do, and it's not a problem for me (in fact I read them all in English), but few people can read books this size and depth in a foreign language even when the gurm writes in an easy to understand English.

I have bought the five books for my kindle in amazon for less than what this edition costs, but still I think this situation was worth to be shared ("was worth sharing"? See, everyone has some doubts here and there :p)

That's crazy expensive. Doesn't the UK Amazon ship to mainland Europe? It's £4 ($6) on there.

He's talking about the Spanish version - we still don't have a paperback edition.

The original version in english is super cheap here too at amazon spain - 6 euros kindle version.

Enosh

I swear to the new and the old gods that if that woman says "jon snow you don't know anything" once more I am going to reach into the book and strangle her with her own tongue

I swear to the new and the old gods that if that woman says "jon snow you don't know anything" once more I am going to reach into the book and strangle her with her own tongue

Amazing that you can't get the line right after reading it so many times :p

I for one loved Ygritte and Jon's chapters.

Enosh

Amazing that you can't get the line right after reading it so many times :p.
I'm reading a translation, so mine is a translation of a translation, so excuse my ignorance ^^
I for one loved Ygritte and Jon's chapters.
it's just whining about how he feels bad about fucking her while fucking her for the most part -.-

Enosh

sorry for the double post but I just got past some 700 pages in aSoS...

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/272/915/d06.gif

what the fuck did I just read, why the fuck did the the god damn Boltons and the motherfucking Frey do this, because of his fucking daughters, god damn old piece of shit, fuck them all, I don't know if I am more angry or sad, fuck...

well, fucking team Stannis it is now, given that everyone else is fucking dead

I warily entered this this since I am in the middle of AFFC. I just glanced around, making not sure to click on any spoilers. I am glad I read that the first half of AFFC was grueling for many and not just me. I was ready to give it up when I saw the second half gets much better. Sweet!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Few chapters into A Storm of Swords

Rob is an idiot....

Arya is now safe with one of her fathers men... sure he's royally screwed within a few chapters.

Interested to see where it's going with Davos and was happy to see he survived the Blackwater

Levi

Banned
Few chapters into Clash of Kings

Rob is an idiot....

Arya is now safe with one of her fathers men... sure he's royally screwed within a few chapters.

Interested to see where it's going with Davos and was happy to see he survived the Blackwater

The above spoilers are from ASOS, don't be fooled!

I gave in and got the first book from audible due to my bad vision I was tired of waiting to learn what the fuss was about.

I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more reading the words instead of this audio book?

oh well be back when I finish the first book in a few days - 10 hours in now

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I gave in and got the first book from audible due to my bad vision I was tired of waiting to learn what the fuss was about.

I wonder if I would have enjoyed this more reading the words instead of this audio book?

The first book can be a tough thing to get into, as it starts off slow. I found the audiobook the perfect entry as I found it tough to get through that first book. And Roy Dotrice is amazing in the audiobook. I went with audiobook for the 2nd novel as well becasue I liked it so much. Actually reading book 3 though, becasue I don't want to take a month to get through it now.

Barmaley

Neo Member
i'm breezing through catching up on the TV series and it is fantastic. is the first book painful to get into if i have a bit of background with what happens, should i go straight to the second, or will the first be hard to read but i should tough it out anyway?

As someone who has read all the books, I'd recommend you read the first 3 books then stop and just wait for the tv series to catch up. Forget that the last 2 books even exist, the fifth book is awful.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

I couldn't help but laugh because you're a 3DS owner. Sorry.

Enosh

aSoS
well on the plus side after the kick to the balls that was the whole red wedding thing, Joffrey is dead too, yay, really loved the line by Stannis "Weddings have become more perilous than battles, it would seem" ^^

although I don't get it, why would littlefinger want him dead, the reason he gives to Sansa sounds like a whole load of bullshit that doesn't answer anything...

speaking of the red wedding, I wonder what the reaction to that one will be when it shows up in the TV show...

As someone who has read all the books, I'd recommend you read the first 3 books then stop and just wait for the tv series to catch up. Forget that the last 2 books even exist, the fifth book is awful.

As someone that's read all 5, I would recommend you read books 4 and 5 as well. Just as 1 and 2 were excellent setups for the mountain of events that happened in 3, 4 and 5 are also setting up huge events in 6 and 7.

Enosh

still aSoS
well that's it, stannis just certainly made nb 1. on my list of people who should be king

he just came and saved the ass of the night watch, the only god damn king and lord in the whole realm who bothered to respond to their request and he has the smallest army out of all of them

:bow:

Barmaley

Neo Member
As someone that's read all 5, I would recommend you read books 4 and 5 as well. Just as 1 and 2 were excellent setups for the mountain of events that happened in 3, 4 and 5 are also setting up huge events in 6 and 7.

As someone who has read all the 5 books I recommend you reread that sentence that you just quoted where I said that I read all the books.
The fifth book is just a padding turd in which nothing of importance happens. While by the end of the 4th book I started hating only one character
(beside leggie blonde)
because the sudden and inexplicable case of idiocy that befalls it, by the end of the 5th book I hated all of them.
So, my advice to anyone who hasn't read the books would be: if you want to keep watching the tv series bearable for yourself - avoid the 5th book.
But again, you might like it. Stranger things have happened.

I was just looking around and noticed that the paperback version of aDwD releases in August. If i remember correctly, it will have a new spoiler chapter from tWoW, so i'm looking forward to that.

Hopefully The World of Ice and Fire and the 4th Dunk and Egg release this year too. i love me some Westeros history and they should hold me over for a while until tWoW and Season 3 of game of Thrones. Looking good, can't wait.

demented

still aSoS
well that's it, stannis just certainly made nb 1. on my list of people who should be king

he just came and saved the ass of the night watch, the only god damn king and lord in the whole realm who bothered to respond to their request and he has the smallest army out of all of them

:bow:

Keep reading ;)

Where's my 6th book :(

The first book can be a tough thing to get into, as it starts off slow. I found the audiobook the perfect entry as I found it tough to get through that first book. And Roy Dotrice is amazing in the audiobook. I went with audiobook for the 2nd novel as well becasue I liked it so much. Actually reading book 3 though, becasue I don't want to take a month to get through it now.

yeah I can understand that, setting up everything is very slow going, but now I already have favorite characters I hope survive long enough to keep me interested

do you think reading is faster? Reading on paper is not easy for me but I think these in ebook form should work just fine

I couldn't help but laugh because you're a 3DS owner. Sorry.

I did not come to this thread to talk about the 3DS but I'll also be an XL owner if this helps amuse you further :shrug:
I said my vision was bad I never said I hate video games

Enosh

just finished aSoS, 1 week to read it, in comparison I needed 2 weeks for aCoK, SoS is a better book imo, although that might be because I didn't know what's going to happen next given that there isn't a season 3 and 4 yet

some observations
-still not a fan of danny, really don't see how people can like her
-hey goerge, i think you forgot to kill of a character or two, they are still alive, christ the -death toll among main character in this book is stupidly high
-each Sansa chapter somehow menages to fuck over the poor girl even more than the previous one...
-soooo zombie Catelyn, that's a thing... not sure how I feel about that one
-the whole story at the wall was really amazing (especially after jon gets back to the wall, I assume the whole battle will be the season 4 episode 9 and the red wedding the season 3 episode 9), compared to the second tv season where I rolled my eyes every time jon or sam showed up, a bit better in the second book but still kinda dull compared to the other areas
-poor Arya isn't doing much better than Sansa
-fuck the boltons and the freys
-stannis for king!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
yeah I can understand that, setting up everything is very slow going, but now I already have favorite characters I hope survive long enough to keep me interested

do you think reading is faster? Reading on paper is not easy for me but I think these in ebook form should work just fine

I did not come to this thread to talk about the 3DS but I'll also be an XL owner if this helps amuse you further :shrug:
I said my vision was bad I never said I hate video games

Depends. I drive a lot for work, so audiobooks are a viable path for me, but I do read faster. The audiobooks for the first two books were both over 30 hours.

jayb

just finished aSoS, 1 week to read it, in comparison I needed 2 weeks for aCoK, SoS is a better book imo, although that might be because I didn't know what's going to happen next given that there isn't a season 3 and 4 yet

some observations
-still not a fan of danny, really don't see how people can like her
-hey goerge, i think you forgot to kill of a character or two, they are still alive, christ the -death toll among main character in this book is stupidly high
-each Sansa chapter somehow menages to f*** over the poor girl even more than the previous one...
-soooo zombie Catelyn, that's a thing... not sure how I feel about that one
-the whole story at the wall was really amazing (especially after jon gets back to the wall, I assume the whole battle will be the season 4 episode 9 and the red wedding the season 3 episode 9), compared to the second tv season where I rolled my eyes every time jon or sam showed up, a bit better in the second book but still kinda dull compared to the other areas
-poor Arya isn't doing much better than Sansa
-f*** the boltons and the freys
-stannis for king!

wow you read fast!

asos
I don't like Danny either, but the way she freed the slaves with her newly-acquired Unsullied and getting Drogon to burn the Astapori leaders was epic!

The killing of characters sucks, but it's also one of the best aspects of these books. most of the time it comes as a shock... either by how they die or the fact that they died at all.

Zombie Catelyn for queen!

Massa

Alright, so I just read ASOIF and ACOK in about a week. Before I get started on the next two, I have to ask:

What's the general tone of these books? I don't think I could take another ASOS, which doesn't just kill characters we perceive as "good", it paints that world as a fucked up beyond repair.

Alright, so I just read ASOIF and ACOK in about a week. Before I get started on the next two, I have to ask:

What's the general tone of these books? I don't think I could take another ASOS, which doesn't just kill characters we perceive as "good", it paints that world as a fucked up beyond repair.

More or less the same. There's light here and there, but it's mostly pretty fucking dark.

gdt

Just like what you said, more or less. Like The Wire.

There are bright spots, but shit is fucked up yo.

Massa

Still can't get over that punch in the gut.

[ASoS]
And it's not enough that Robb gets killed, let's get Catelyn too. And right as Arya is about to get them. Is that enough? No, let's put an axe in Arya's head too. Satisfied? How about brutalizing Robb's corpse and Grey Wind?

At least we know 2 is not 3, and Joff is going to die, certainly. But that mothef'ing GRRM won't even let us have that, and immediately turns that against Tyrion! Everything goes to shit for him, and then just as the Red Viper is about to make that right... nope, fuck that too.

And that's not even mentioning Ygritte's death, which is to me the saddest moment in the book.

So again, fuck you mr. GRRM. Argh!

giga

Just gonna say fuck GRRM and ASOS.

I don't care if you spoil me all the way to ADWD, someone tell me that not all the good guys die. I can't stand it when the good guys lose so it's driving me mad and need some relief.

Tess3ract

Banned
Just gonna say fuck GRRM and ASOS.

I don't care if you spoil me all the way to ADWD, someone tell me that not all the good guys die. I can't stand it when the good guys lose so it's driving me mad and need some relief.
This might be the wrong series for you if you get emotionally invested into characters too much.

Not the Lannisters, Freys, etc. I consider the Starks good.

Not detailed spoilers but as for the Starks...

ADWD
most of the starks are still alive at the end of ADWD. There is a question on the fate of one of them at the end of the book, but most people speculate that the character will be alright in one form or another, at least for the near future

Jacob

asos
The killing of characters sucks, but it's also one of the best aspects of these books. most of the time it comes as a shock... either by how they die or the fact that they died at all.

Meh.
It was certainly a shock when Ned died in the first book, and the Red Wedding surprised me for just how over the top it was, but I think the series has gotten to the point where you have to expect horrible things to happen to all the characters. Personally, it seems to me like grimdark for the sake of grimdark, which gets tiring. I haven't read ADWD yet but from what I've heard it sounds even worse. The preview chapter for Theon made me feel ill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom