• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Varth

I think we can start sorting out the tiers in Teams CG. Don't wanna get lumped in with those last minute believers when celebration time comes and our lawd and saviour Kojima deals flaming CG justice to heathens.

Mikey Jr.

By covering a vast majority of Mogren's face in a simple bandage, obscuring hair, ears, nose and significant skin coverage that may be difficult to render, one would theoretically minimise the probability of sparking the "uncanny valley" effect.

I would think that the eyes and mouth are the most important parts in determining that.

I think we can start sorting out the tiers in Teams CG. Don't wanna get lumped in with those last minute believers when celebration time comes and our lawd and saviour Kojima deals flaming CG justice to heathens.

Fine, I won't pussy out.

#TeamReal.

Fuck you #TeamCG motherfuckers.

There, that should have burned all bridges.

Nome

Proud to have voted TeamCG before seeing any of the evidence. I want to believe, and now that everything has been laid out, I really DO believe.

I'm ready to eat crow, but I'm more ready to watch TeamReal eat crow. Either way, tomorrow will be delicious.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but from following the thread here is a summary of the theories:

Pure Team Real

* This is just an actor wearing bandages and the video was revealing that the phantom pain is running on Fox Engine in a goofy way.
Driven by: Viewer perceptions, the failure of previous technology to achieve such outstanding results, pure hatred.

Pure Team CG

* Joakim is CG rendered by some impressive new technique with the bandages being used to make this easier to pull off.
Driven by: Unusual video elements such as teeth, eyes, bandages around the shirt and talking method. Also the proximity to the GDC photorealistic presentation, belief in Kojima and the kind of shit he would pull. Often belief in general or just plain fun.

Other Theories

* The "Mixture Theory". Some elements are CG, some are not.
Driven By: A combination of the above pure theories. Belief that this represents a new workflow to get assets/motion capture into a game rather than pure CG. Fence sitting.

* The "Delayed Theory". Joakim is real, but will be integrated into the GDC presentation to create a "fake Joakim" using the captured footage or perhaps inserting his eyes and mouths onto an in game model.
Driven By: Compromise between theories and a sense that "something is up" even if you think the video is real. Also, Geoff will have another interview section during the conference which is supposed to be technically focused.

* Joakim is Cliffy B in bandages
Driven By: Recent links between Cliffy B and Kojima, perhaps with him running the US side of Fox engine games.

* Joakim is real, Geoff is CG
Driven By: People not reading through a very long thread to see if a joke has been made a thousand or so times before.

Limanima

ok gotta decide now before the reveal

#TeamReal

i thought it was CG before but i really made up my mind when i saw the brighter version of the gif where you could see the full upper body.

the clothes just look too real

Ho wait, where's that post? I voted for TeamCG and one of the reasons was that we couldn't see he's body. goes to look for that post

Mikey Jr.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but from following the thread here is a summary of the theories:

Pure Team CG

* Joakim is CG rendered by some impressive new technique with the bandages being used to make this easier to pull off.
Driven by: Unusual video elements such as teeth, eyes, bandages around the shirt and talking method. Also the proximity to the GDC photorealistic presentation, belief in Kojima and the kind of shit he would pull. Often belief in general or just plain fun. Delusion.

Fixed.

Pure Team Real

* This is just an actor wearing bandages and the video was revealing that the phantom pain is running on Fox Engine in a goofy way.
Driven by: Viewer perceptions, the failure of previous technology to achieve such outstanding results, pure hatred on obtuseness in the face of common sense.

Fixed that for you.

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

;P

gif5-2.gif

ekim

So the stream starts 7pm here in germany. I'm doing the groceries then and afterwards I have my dinner. So I guess I will miss it :(

Stillmatic

He forgot to put the realtime lighting on? Or he forgot that he photoshopped the highlights on?

Not sure if you're familiar with 3D programs? If not check out 'light linking'.

I've put 4 spotlights in the scene with both balls reflecting certain light sources. The possibility of human error on Kojipro's end being simply unchecking the light sources on all other geometry and forgetting/overlooking that eye with all of them on.

I don't know how you'd get that effect in real life. But it was just an observation from the footage.

I'm about to crash out until showtime (presentation is on at 5am here :( ), so I wont be able to reply after this.

Not sure if you're familiar with 3D programs? If not check out 'light linking'.

I've put 4 spotlights in the scene with both balls reflecting certain light sources. The possibility of human error on Kojipro's end being simply unchecking the light sources on all other geometry and forgetting/overlooking that eye with all of them on.

I don't know how you'd get that effect in real life. But it was just an observation from the footage.

I'm about to crash out until showtime (presentation is on at 5am here :( ), so I wont be able to reply after this.
The lights don't stay in the same spot... they don't move much in that little moment, but yes, they move. easy to see. Watch the distance to the edge of the iris.

On one side of his face, those lights are being obscured by something in the room, I think in the business that's known as shadows. But they're obviously not the primary sources of light so it's not something apparent on the less shiny parts of his face.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I don't think it is CG, and I personally think anyone who thinks it is CG is being ridiculous. HOWEVA, I am secretly (well now openly) rooting for it to be CG because it would be amazing and mindblowing.

duckroll

2 hours left on the vote, we've surpassed 2000 votes, and it seems that TeamCG has gone over 40% after hanging at 39-40% for the past few days! Lol.

Top Bottom