• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

I agree with this. Somehow Namco keeps crapping out tales titles which are mid tier yet still very huge games yet these big developers only know how to be happy with super selling titles they bank the whole company on. They should focus on Japan like used to and let the cream rise to top on its own. That's not to say they should completely ignore the games they hope the world will buy but don't put the farm on all your games being that successful.

Sega is pumping out fairly polished games they feel happy to leave in Japan as well. Doesn't seem to be breaking them either.

Namco had a real soul searching back in 2010 about just this. One too many 8-digit by-the-numbers Western-friendly flop. So they made mid-sized games; you know, those things that Didn't Sell So Don't Make Them.

And it worked. Thing is, those weren't a guarentee, but it worked. Kept their name out there in the public eye. Kept their employees engauged. Kept budgets low. Kept doing what they knew how to do. Had their brass judging potential publishing duties for other companies to stay sharp about the world market. Kept their IP viable and evolving. Brought in actual goddamn money.

No, it wasn't guarenteed, but it was smart.

YaLiShanDa

Neo Member
According to a certain website that's apparently banned here, Dragon's Dogma stands at 2.3m worlwide . Where did the 1.3m figure come from?

Vitten

We live in a sad world when crap like RE6 outsells a gem like Dragon's Dogma 4 to 1.

Just goes to show that the masses are sheep and have no taste.

It would be a crime against gaming if Dragon's Dogma doesn't get a sequel, Capcom for once in your life do the right thing.

Dragon's Dogma iOS card game incoming.

Daverid

According to a certain website that's apparently banned here, Dragon's Dogma stands at 2.3m worlwide . Where did the 1.3m figure come from?

I assume they probably want 2 Million sales within a certain time period. Like it has to be within the first 6 months or something.

I've no doubt that with Dark Arisen, and the tons of sales that have cropped up both digitally and at retailers, DD has surely sold at least 2 Million by now, but probably not the 2 Million when Capcom wanted it and it wasn't "strong enough" at launch to warrant thinking about a sequel.

Even before this article I was well aware a sequel was probably in the 1% range, but man, c'mon Capcom you stupid fucks, do a PC/PS4/X1 Remaster. I'd be there day 0 for that shit, and I think Capcom are morons if they don't do it, it's a game that so desperately is crying for the more powerful consoles and PC version.

sörine;133538531 said:
Still impossible given shipment data. DD+DA combined haven't even done 2.3 million shipped + digital, retail sellthough alone hitting that figure is simply not possible.

Woah really? Including Digital? That's nuts if it's true, I thought for sure, with all the sales and whatnot it should have cracked 2 mil.

fader

well they specifically said AAA, does Dragons Dogma fit that category? I didn't consider it a AAA title.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
sörine;133538930 said:
The second biggest production in Capcom history isn't AAA? We need to move past this sort of nonsense.

Nothing about this game received the AAA treatment. They didn't promote it, market it or really seemed to give a damn about it. It certainly never had broad AAA appeal either. Plus, they didn't port it to a platform which adore these types of games.

If this was the second biggest production in Capcom history, then...well, that says everything about the company right there.

sörine

Banned
Nothing about this game received the AAA treatment. They didn't promote it, market it or really seemed to give a damn about it. It certainly never had broad AAA appeal either. Plus, they didn't port it to a platform which adore these types of games.

If this was the second biggest production in Capcom history, then...well, that says everything about the company right there.
It had television ads in America and Japan (the US ads even mentioned the included RE6 360 demo), internet ads, tons of magazine coverage. It got a comparable push to basically every AAA Capcom game that isn't RE.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
If this fucking horse shit dog crap pineapple FUCKERY keeps me from a godamned Dragon's Dogma sequel then i'm on a permanent fucking vaca from capcoms ridiculous bullshit.

Fuck you for making my beautiful dream girl and then tossing her to the godamned wolves you evil corporate fuck wit ass monkeys!!!

;_; ;_; ;_; ;_;

WHY GOD WHY

gnomed

Capcom should sell the IP to Rockstar if they want a AAA game that sells millions. Rockstar already has a franchise from them.

sörine

Banned
That's like saying RE shouldn't get a sequel because Resident Evil Revelations only sold like 1.1 million.

Though it's Capcom, they can definitely do something like that.
Revelations is probably close to 2m when you include the 3DS version. Well, 2 million shipped at least, definitely not sold.

sörine;133538930 said:
The second biggest production in Capcom history isn't AAA? We need to move past this sort of nonsense.
It certainly didn't feel like a AAA game, they cut serious corners in the story department.

I surmise it only needed so many people because it was their first big attempt at such a game. A sequel wouldn't need as many people.

Dahbomb

sörine;133543103 said:
Revelations is probably close to 2m when you include the 3DS version. Well, 2 million shipped at least, definitely not sold.
You could probably say the same for DmC as well (shipped vs sold).

sörine

Banned
It certainly didn't feel like a AAA game, they cut serious corners in the story department.
Did RE6's story feel AAA?

I think we need a refresher in this thread on what AAA actually means. It's not content. It's not quality. It's budget.

I surmise it only needed so many people because it was their first big attempt at such a game. A sequel wouldn't need as many people.
That doesn't seem to be how sequels go, especially with Capcom. Dead Rising and Lost Planet each grew in staff for each installment. The size of RE6's credits dwarfs RE5.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm extremely curious to see how Capcom is going to handle Devil May Cry. DmC really underperformed, and doesn't warrant a sequel with it's numbers. However, they have gone on record to list the franchise as one of the company pillars.

Would they dare go back to DMC, and write DmC off as a misstep? Or are they going to continue the rebooted narrative/art direction, but completely overhaul the gameplay, since the differences in lore are negligible at this point:
Vergil's still your sworn rival, and Dante's white hair is coming back
. I honestly think the latter will happen, and we'll get a much more polished DmC2

Rootbeer

Banned
Dragon's Dogma sequel all but deconfirmed for good... and by a huge margin.

I am going to cry myself to sleep tonight.

To everyone who decided to buy RE6 but not DD: Thanks, this is on you! :(

So now I'm hoping for two things:

1. Capcom sells off the DD brand or licenses it out
or more likely...
2. we get a DD clone by another company that realizes the potential it had and can do it better on the newer hardware we have now

KoopaTheCasual

Idk how I feel about Dragon's Dogma anymore. I went back to play it and realized the only things I didn't find bad were the combat system and character creation. But boy did those two things carry the entire experience. Everything else was completely forgettable IMO.

If they salvage the engine and create a much more imaginative world and story around a new IP, that game could really be something special.

Renekton

Capcom rebooted the series at the height of its sales. They should be able to see the results quite clearly.
They can draw the conclusion that DmC has turned off fans for good, or fans have no more interest in the series as a whole.

That's like saying RE shouldn't get a sequel because Resident Evil Revelations only sold like 1.1 million.

Though it's Capcom, they can definitely do something like that.
Yeah but Revelations is not main-line RE..

sörine;133543430 said:
Did RE6's story feel AAA?

I think we need a refresher in this thread on what AAA actually means. It's not content. It's not quality. It's budget.
I'm saying they didn't put a whole lot of resources into the story, meaning they skimped the budget there.
That doesn't seem to be how sequels go, especially with Capcom. Dead Rising and Lost Planet each grew in staff for each installment. The size of RE6's credits dwarfs RE5.
Resident Evil 6 is a poor example since that had a really troublesome production from what I understand. Though that certainly helps explains why they are so risk adverse.

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Yes, the combat feels wonderful and puts more famous rivals to shame but Dragon Dogma's graphics are mediocre at best. The party system is somewhat chaotic and confusing. The story is not good. The voice acting is also not great. The overworld travel is aggravating.

There are valid reasons why the game didn't sell very well. The fault lies with the dev team, not Capcom execs...

sörine

Banned
Looking at Capcom's AAA console games last gen I would say based on Ono's comments;

Resident Evil: Guaranteed but probably not at bloated RE6 costs.

Street Fighter: Likely

Devil May Cry: Possible if they revert to the original series/devs. Otherwise dead.

Monster Hunter: Moved on to handheld heaven. HD ports if we're lucky.

Dead Rising: Probably dead now unless MS pays for it.

Lost Planet: Dead

Dragon's Dogma: Dead

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Dead but mainly due to license.

Shingro

If this fucking horse shit dog crap pineapple FUCKERY keeps me from a godamned Dragon's Dogma sequel then i'm on a permanent fucking vaca from capcoms ridiculous bullshit.

Fuck you for making my beautiful dream girl and then tossing her to the godamned wolves you evil corporate fuck wit ass monkeys!!!

;_; ;_; ;_; ;_;

WHY GOD WHY

Because there is one thing Capcom is no. 1 best in the world at.

Disapointing their fans.

Game Guru

Namco had a real soul searching back in 2010 about just this. One too many 8-digit by-the-numbers Western-friendly flop. So they made mid-sized games; you know, those things that Didn't Sell So Don't Make Them.

And it worked. Thing is, those weren't a guarentee, but it worked. Kept their name out there in the public eye. Kept their employees engauged. Kept budgets low. Kept doing what they knew how to do. Had their brass judging potential publishing duties for other companies to stay sharp about the world market. Kept their IP viable and evolving. Brought in actual goddamn money.

No, it wasn't guarenteed, but it was smart.

That's the thing... Nothing is guaranteed to succeed, but Capcom is not going to be able to compete with guys like Activision, EA, and Ubisoft who have 10 year plans for their new AAA franchises. Nor can Capcom rely on the luck of the draw that mobile is.

TunaUppercut

Neo Member
They can draw the conclusion that DmC has turned off fans for good, or fans have no more interest in the series as a whole. .

I kinda doubt that. With the feedback from the previous games fans and the worst sales in the series from DmC the picture is rather clear. Its possible that Capcom could come to this conclusion but I don't think its likely.

After their stellar games on the PS2, everything Capcom put out last gen was godawful, with Dragon's Dogma being the only shining light. It's so ridiculous to hear they're going to kill off the only title of theirs that I was actually still interested in. I enjoyed SF4 but MK9 stole its lunch, RE5 and RE6 were meh, and DmC was OK but nothing brilliant. Dragon's Dogma was the one Capcom title that would have been a day 1 purchase for me on PS4.

Maybe the Dragon's Dogma team can all leave Capcom and form a new Studio. That seems to be the done thing.

I don't think "story" is one of those problems you can just throw money at.
Doesn't stop a lot of AAA productions from doing so. I'm not talking about the quality of the writing to be clear. The game has a handful of cutscenes that seemingly had more than basic work put into them.

Top Bottom