• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

i-Jest

To be fair to Capcom, I'm sure most publishers have these kind of broad minimum sales expectations in place. It is sad though that a lot of great brands might wither and die because Capcom management and marketing is so frigging poor.

So who do I have to blow to make Dragon's Dogma 2 a reality?

Nintendo.

sublimit

Banned
Regardless of all that i still believe that Dragon's Dogma 2 is coming. They have invested way too much in the first game to simply let the IP die.

Also as someone else said the combined sales of the vanilla and DA versions exceed 2 million.

Regardless of all that i still believe that Dragon's Dogma 2 is coming. They have invested way too much in the first game to simply let the IP die.

Also as someone else said the combined sales of the vanilla and DA versions exceed 2 million.

They should.
Dragon's Dogma is a very good game ad it deserves a sequel.

Majukun

i think nintendo should ask for a collaboration here..there are really good franchise at risk to go to waste,and the wii U needs more third party games.

problem will of course be sales,but if the wii U stays like it is now,they are gonna lose money anyway

I-hate-u

i think nintendo should ask for a collaboration here..there are really good franchise at risk to go to waste,and the wii U needs more third party games.

problem will of course be sales,but if the wii U stays like it is now,they are gonna lose money anyway

Nintendo needs to outright buy the company and take over management.

Nintendo needs to outright buy the company and take over management.

This. So much this. Nintendo would benefit immensely from Capcom's stable of IPs (especially the 'mature' ones), and would probably focus more on mid-tier budget titles.

Granted, on the flipside, we'll likely never get Capcom titles on PC ever again, but that's a small price to pay for getting the company back on track, methinks.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

They better. Or, i'll take spiritual sequel.
Just give me that crazy open world battle again!

I'm not so sure anymore. DMC5 seems to have more chance here. I hope its DD2 though in the phanta rei engine......gotg material right there.

Dr. Buni

This. So much this. Nintendo would benefit immensely from Capcom's stable of IPs (especially the 'mature' ones), and would probably focus more on mid-tier budget titles.

Granted, on the flipside, we'll likely never get Capcom titles on PC ever again, but that's a small price to pay for getting the company back on track, methinks.
The last thing Nintendo need is more IPs. They have plenty of enough and a lot of underused ones.

Cynn

Capcom would make a good first party PlayStation developer as well.

Shion

The traditional mid-tier model is deader than dead, a change in management isn't going to magically revive a bankrupt business model. You need to either go AAA or abandon retail in favor of, economically efficient, digital releases, F2P projects and episodic games.

If anything, Capcom's management seems to be more up-to-date than Nintendo's.

The last thing Nintendo need is more IPs. They have plenty of enough and a lot of underused ones.

Nintendo would probably snatch up Capcom's dev teams and reorganize some of them, to be fair. Capcom would likely be a 'second-party' structure, to handle those specific IPs for the most part.

The traditional mid-tier model is deader than dead, a change in management isn't going to magically revive a bankrupt business model. You need to either go AAA or abandon retail in favor of, economically efficient, digital releases, F2P projects and episodic games.

The mid-tier is only 'bankrupt' because nobody's doing it. And with the AAA model becoming increasingly unsustainable, somebody outside of PC devs will have to go back to it sooner or later.

Besides, it's not entirely dead. Nintendo is damn well proof of that. Oh, and Dark Souls, as was noted in a Jimquisition linked earlier, and probably Platinum. You don't need to break the bank to create amazing games that people want to buy.

And I personally classify economical digital releases and episodic games along the lines of mid-tier anyway (not F2P, though).

ExoSoul

Banned
R.I.P. Dragon's Dogma.

These cookie cutter decisions are idiotic beyond comprehension.
"This game is a new I.P., well in the B-tier, barely know with no marketing but has potential and has gotten a following, what's that? Didn't reach two million? Preposterous, can the sequel.

Usobuko

Banned

Well said.

If anything, Sega is the one being pro-active in this area. They tried with Yakuza so many times before giving it another shot by focusing on the Asian audience now whom they probably think is more receptive to Japanese games.

NeonZ

What about companies like Koei and Atlus (well, they're part of Sega now, but their production seems unchanged so far)? They seem alive by just releasing mid tier titles, rather than low budget online only games or AAA games.

Capcpom won't do mid-tier because it's too late to take that chance and it's too late to take that chance because of leadershit failure and therefore they ain't a Bandai-Namco with faith in their IP, fans, and creators and they ain't really been doing PC really well and make that an event proper. Therefore it's continuing to grasp at that AAAAA ring and the probably very high-yield Mobile market (not out of advantage from a position of strength to broaden the porfolio, but out of desperation from a position of weakness after a weakening portfolio).

To be fair, I do think certain companies do have the right idea in going mobile, Sega for instance... Yes, they aren't really pleasing fans of Sega in general, but their expansion into PC and Mobile with bought IPs seem to be working out for them. Sega's not going to bring any more Yakuza games to the West or make new Shenmue games because the costs to do so can't be justified and Sega gave them a fair shot.

Yep, Sega did try. Too bad about some of those good tries, really.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So how does Capcom greenlight an new AAA game IP? Or are they done with those?

Presumably they'd pick a new idea they think would do more than two million units, but judging by the lack of new IP announcements (in general even), your latter statement may be right.

Biker19

Banned
The mid-tier is only 'bankrupt' because nobody's doing it. And with the AAA model becoming increasingly unsustainable, somebody outside of PC devs will have to go back to it sooner or later.

Besides, it's not entirely dead. Nintendo is damn well proof of that. Oh, and Dark Souls, as was noted in a Jimquisition linked earlier, and probably Platinum. You don't need to break the bank to create amazing games that people want to buy.

And I personally classify economical digital releases and episodic games along the lines of mid-tier anyway (not F2P, though).

I definitely agree. As a matter of fact, I could see the indie scene taking over, as well as mid-tier development making a full comeback, especially through retail.

If publishers continue to have their developers make AAA games & doesn't sell enough copies to make back the money that they spent on the projects, then we'll be hearing more & more studio closings until there's none left, as well as tons of publishers being strapped for money like what's going on with Capcom right now. And it'll be even worse than last gen with 360 & PS3, especially when the cost of making AAA games have now been going up more so than ever before (Link).

Nintendo.

Got to be honest, I've often thought about getting a Wii U, but if Ninty got Dragon's Dogma 2 I would buy one without question.

I thought the decision for a sequel would be related to their Metacritic score? Not the amount they sold?!

Um, that's not how these businesses work. Metacritic may have some significance, but it's minuscule compared to the sales numbers.

I may be wrong here, but I believe Nintendo is only interested in IPs that have an instantly recognizable character (the "face" of the IP). DD has none, and I'm sure Grigori doesn't count.
So that means DD2 is unlikely.....

Not sure I can agree with that. Devil's Third? Fatal Frame?

Arkanius

Just give us Dragon's Dogma in the PC
I want to love the game but I just can't with all those FPS drops and weird resolution

Rarity

I'll be content so long as they keep making Ace Attorney games. Really would like a new Dragon's Dogma, though.

Yup, mid tier is alive and well, not just on PC but in western development in general! Ubisoft puts out a lot of mid tier titles, many of which I think are far better than their AAA stuff. In fact, most every western publisher releases mid tier games fairly frequently.

The lack of mid tier games is a specifically Japanese thing.

Top Bottom