• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ono implies Capcom won't greenlight a AAA game sequel without over 2 million sales

sleepykyo

Makes you wonder what they saw in Remember Me that lead them to think it would reach that level of sales.

Well Sony was originally publishing it so some of the development was already covered I think.

I'm just glad that Capcom can still make AAA games for 2mil unlike EA which wants 5+mil untis minimum or something.

Mesoian

No one in the whole universe can handle Devil May Cry's battle system better than Itsuno, and he's still working for Capcom. We just need a real Devil May Cry 5.

GIVE IT TO PLATINUM!

They'll at least do right by the series...

It will be interesting to see the HD collection's sales
If indeed it does, then the series is going to get ported to iOS due to poor 3DS sales. :(

Real talk, I'm surprised that entire line hasn't gone iOS/Android from day one of release.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Not to be an echo chamber, but I would have bought Dragon's Dogma on PC as well... Settled for getting it free from PS+ instead.

It will be interesting to see the HD collection's sales
If indeed it does, then the series is going to get ported to iOS. :(

They were satisfied with AA5's sales.

I imagine that, as long as it's easy to port over to iOS at all, they will probably start on 3DS and then get ported to mobile later down the line. It's been a fairly winning strategy for that series already.

DMC5 is still a possibility imo.

It also wouldn't take nearly as long to develop as DD2.

Yeah don;t know why people are thinking its dead. DmC was hated for known reasons.

DMC 4 did 2.9 million according to Capcom.

Depending on the needs of RE7 and SF5, it's possible the team got mostly dissolved and the remaining staff are working on smaller projects like mobile, online, or downloadable.

For example, Itsuno's TGS 2013 game was a mobile title: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=679613

I don't want to believe it. I want to believe Itsuno would not take that shit from Capcom :(

Opiate

This so much, why must it be those two extremes only for the most part? For someone like me who doesn't like most big budget AAA games and has a hard time getting into indies, the gaming future really doesn't look rosy at all. Well, at least Nintendo is here to stay...

Well, it's mostly driven by how these consoles are built and sold. They are sold as technical juggernauts -- remember "the power of the Cell" and "8GB of RAM" and other such catechisms -- and thus a hugely disproportionate amount of the people who buy these platforms are concerned with presentation. They want games which take advantage of the powerful new system they bought.

This effect produces a constant race-to-the-top that's very difficult to avoid with how consoles are currently made. PC, iOS and Android devices mostly avoid this problem; they may or may not be powerful, but they're primarily sold as convenient, multi-purpose devices which just so happen to be able to play games. This means the audience they tend to attract isn't buying them with the expectation of cutting edge AAA graphics, even if they can technically do it (as PCs often can). This race-to-the-top is built in to the way consoles have been produced and sold for decades.

RM8

Capcom spending 10x what SNK spends seems extremely accurate actually. Plus that's sub-720p pixelart compared to 3D models. And it really all depends on how much you want to/can spend, SG art is far higher res, higher framecounts (highest in the world apparently), about 250k per char
Well, then Capcom should try to do something like KOFXIII for some of their forgotten fighters :( It'd actually be cool since KOFXIII is an awesome looking game.

I'm sure it's getting border line. Presumably you've noticed release lists have been shrinking. Well, this is how that happens: it's less that games stop selling, and more that the sales they garner are no longer sufficient to justify the increasing budgetary needs. First, the games which sold 100k were no longer viable on AAA budgets, probably by the PS2 era. Then the games which sold 1M were not viable as AAA properties at the beginning of the PS3 era. Now, games require 2M+ to be viable.

As budgets keep increasing, the required sales keep increasing, and increasingly fewer properties reach the bar.

The problem with DMC is outside of the base combat and the theme, it has never had a clear direction. You could make an argument that every game in the series has been a reboot on some level.

I don't think the series is on ice, yet, but unless someone comes up with fairly strong ideas of how to take the series forward, while increasing its sales numbers, I can see capcom just not wanting to take the risk.

Mesoian

Yeah don;t know why people are thinking its dead. DmC was hated for known reasons.

DMC 4 did 2.9 million according to Capcom.

I think it's more the thought process of, "if DmC is sitll doing well, why are they rebooting it? Is it just that no one at Capcom wants to make that game like no one at Capcom wants to make a Megaman game?".

I don't want to believe it. I want to believe Itsuno would not take that shit from Capcom :(
I'd guess Itsuno is more interested in having a job. It's not like the video game market in any region is doing terribly well right now.

Do they even want to make those though? I heard that they only made DR3 because of MS. I have no idea if that's true though.

Real talk, I don't think Capcom has any IP's that any studio heads are passionate about except for Street Fighter and Resident Evil. There's a wealth of stuff there, but if no one wants to make those games, we can't expect Capcom to put something out abritraily, no matter how much clamor there is for sequels.

Well, then Capcom should try to do something like KOFXIII for some of their forgotten fighters :( It'd actually be cool since KOFXIII is an awesome looking game.

Part of the reason SNK's costs are so low is they have retained 2D artists.

The costs of hiring new ones wouldn't be cheap.

Staf

Usually not into action games but man did Dragon's dogma surprise me. Would love a sequel, best character editor ever.

BadWolf

MGR had neither of those.

Fair enough but it was also a game with a small dev time so they may not have had time. You know they were itching to do it when Raiden got on that bike.
jk :p

Seriously though, ppl would probably want Kamiya on it and he has a real hard on for that stuff.

Capcom spending 10x what SNK spends seems extremely accurate actually. Plus that's sub-720p pixelart compared to 3D models. And it really all depends on how much you want to/can spend, SG art is far higher res, higher framecounts (highest in the world apparently), about 250k per char

Hehe true.

And that animation count on SG seems highly unnecessary. If you have higher animation counts than 3rd Strike, Garou MOTW and KOFXIII then something is off. You don't need a ton of animation frames to do good animation. They should have just spent that time on making more characters.

roknin

Hopefully this means they'll be dialing back on the AAA efforts, and doing more modestly-budgeted games that are more creative and ambitious. I'm not holding my breath, though.

If anything, this is what I miss most not only from Capcom, but from a lot of the industry. The mid-level devs are just... gone. :-(

But no, from what Ono is saying and current evidence in industry trends... it doesn't look like that ill happen any time soon.

I imagine that, as long as it's easy to port over to iOS at all, they will probably start on 3DS and then get ported to mobile later down the line. It's been a fairly winning strategy for that series already.
Hopefully so, I can just imagine Capcom cutting costs on the 3DS versions if they do not sell well and going full mobile.
Square-Enix did that with the Vita.
The only AAA publisher I can stand is Ubisoft and because they sometimes take risks (Rayman is a risk in today's gaming culture).
People have been vocal about wanting a new Megaman game and Capcom keeps worry about it not making 2 million dollars.

Mesoian

Hehe true.

And that animation count on SG seems highly unnecessary. If you have higher animation counts than 3rd Strike, Garou MOTW and KOFXIII then something is off. You don't need a ton of animation frames to do good animation. They should have just spent that time on making more characters.

Honestly, if that game didn't look the way it is, I doubt it's fanbase, myself included, would have been as interested as we are in it.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is the sequel that we deserve, but not the one we need right now.

I understand why you would say that, but Dragon's Dogma 2 is DEFINITELY the sequel we need right now, and the longer we wait, the less potent it will be.

Huh... this made me go look up sales for DmC.
I didn't know that as of June 30, 2014 it had sold less than DMC2.
KuGsj.gif

cnorwood

Banned
What do they have left that's going to make them more money? Can Monster Hunter and Resident Evil sustain them forever?

They still got to pay for all those employees and building space.

So they should keep making games that lose them money? How is that going to pay for employees and building space. Maybe because I'm a pretty big Megaman fan but I do see that nobody buying these games they pump a lot of money into isnt going to make them money its simple math. They either make a very cheap game that hardcore fans hate and not buy, or make expensive games that the hardcore buys but 99% of the rest of the gaming audience doesnt buy.

Greenzxy

I bet the Ace Attorney sales numbers on iOS alone are through the roof.

Oh yea, Capcom going in for next Ace Attorney game. Full Blown AAA CGI MODELS. PS4 level of graphics. High quality 'Objections',. Over 50 chapters. The Muders are REAL. More Gore than your mother can handle.

Well, it's mostly driven by how these consoles are built and sold. They are sold as technical juggernauts -- remember "the power of the Cell" and "8GB of RAM" and other such catechisms -- and thus a hugely disproportionate amount of the people who buy these platforms are concerned with presentation. They want games which take advantage of the powerful new system they bought.

This effect produces a constant race-to-the-top that's very difficult to avoid with how consoles are currently made. PC, iOS and Android devices mostly avoid this problem; they may or may not be powerful, but they're primarily sold as convenient, multi-purpose devices which just so happen to be able to play games. This means the audience they tend to attract isn't buying them with the expectation of cutting edge AAA graphics, even if they can technically do it (as PCs often can). This race-to-the-top is built in to the way consoles have been produced and sold for decades.

I really enjoy your posts Opiate.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait.. who would? AAA budget-wise is a fuckload of money. If you don't do way more than 2 million, why should you dig a grave for a publisher financially?

TalonJH

The mid tier these days are basically 3DS/Vita games.
And HD remasters

Thats true. I mean, I love my AAA and tiny indy games but I rather have something in-between every once in a while. The funny thing is I honestly prefer to play indy games on my Vita instead of the big screen and don't care too much for the idea of AAA games on handhelds.

Real talk, I don't think Capcom has any IP's that any studio heads are passionate about except for Street Fighter and Resident Evil. There's a wealth of stuff there, but if no one wants to make those games, we can't expect Capcom to put something out abritraily, no matter how much clamor there is for sequels.

So, with the past ten years of departures from Capcom, you can kind of start putting together a possible narrative for what game design is like there.

The people who were there because they wanted to make games and not business decisions (your Mikamis, your Kamiyas), eventually get tired of their input not being taken with their games, even after they made major successes. Those that have major successes and wish to move up (like Inafune or Ono) do so and they still had relatively little input on things that moved forward, but were required to act as a brick wall to people like Mikami and Kamiya. Eventually Inafune got beaten down enough by the process that he quit (and had a tell-all interview where he described now hellish working there can be) and I imagine Ono is feeling the same grind. He wants to do more, he just can't.

It seems like the people who are made in to producers eventually just lose their passion because they're never going to get what they want, but have to be in a position of telling everyone below them to fuck off.

Mesoian

Oh yea, Capcom going in for next Ace Attorney game. Full Blown AAA CGI MODELS. PS4 level of graphics. High quality 'Objections',. Over 50 chapters. The Muders are REAL. More Gore than your mother can handle.

I would like to see them do that once. Just once. Go full out Law and Order: The Video Game style.

No seriously though, I'm amazed the ace attorney series isn't iOS exclusive by now.

So, with the past ten years of departures from Capcom, you can kind of start putting together a possible narrative for what game design is like there.

The people who were there because they wanted to make games and not business decisions (your Mikamis, your Kamiyas), eventually get tired of their input not being taken with their games, even after they made major successes. Those that didn't leave moved up (like Inafune or Ono) and they still had relatively little input on things that moved forward, but were required to act as a brick wall to people like Mikami and Kamiya. Eventually Inafune got beaten down enough by the process that he quit (and had a tell-all interview where he described now hellish working there can be) and I imagine Ono is feeling the same grind. He wants to do more, he just can't.

It seems like the people who are made in to producers eventually just lose their passion because they're never going to get what they want, but have to be in a position of telling everyone below them to fuck off.

It makes me wonder when Itsuno is going to leave.

So the only hope Dragon's Dogma has is Sony, MS, or Nintendo buying a sequel?

Or them selling the IP.

Ubisoft needs a franchise that they can offset Assassin's Creed with, because next year there will be too much Assassin's Creed stuff out there.

Caja 117

Maybe OP should have the Dragon Dogma numbers updated with the Dark Arisen numbers, as a lot of people are missing this.

Yeah, the days of mid-tier seem to be gone for console retail releases. We will never see a Danganronpa on consoles for example. The last AAA game I liked not by Nintendo was probably Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare, which is honestly a fluke in EA's releases this year being a good game. It is hard to get excited about another Assassin's Creed and Left for Dead 3, no wait, Evolved...

Seems like the better model would be to make a cheaper first game and then if it does well, raise expectations and budget for it. You know, reasonable expectations.
Yeah, Capcom did that strategy with Dead Rising and Lost Planet which worked enough to push money into the sequel and got the money back. Both of the 3rd games flopped in sales, but that was because of one thing or another.

Game Guru

I have to question if making the first game in a franchise AAA is even an intelligent move given Titanfall, Watch_Dogs, and Destiny are not doing as well as expected and the biggest new franchise in years, Minecraft, was made on an indie's budget. Seems like the better model would be to make a cheaper first game and then if it does well, raise expectations and budget for it. You know, reasonable expectations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe OP should have the Dragon Dogma numbers updated with the Dark Arisen numbers, as a lot of people are missing this.

That's not necessarily how they'd greenlight a sequel though.

Dark Arisen is potentially seen a lot like selling DLC to the same people. Similarly I didn't combine Super Street Fighter onto Street Fighter IV or DR2:OTR onto DR2's total.

Mesoian

I honestly wonder if Dark Arisen being a retail release killed any profit it could have made. As an expansion pack, it seemed like a slam dunk. As a standalone, even with the full game...It just didn't make a whole ton of sense.

But Capcom has never been good with this whole online thing.

JordanN

Banned
So they should keep making games that lose them money? How is that going to pay for employees and building space. Maybe because I'm a pretty big Megaman fan but I do see that nobody buying these games they pump a lot of money into isnt going to make them money its simple math. They either make a very cheap game that hardcore fans hate and not buy, or make expensive games that the hardcore buys but 99% of the rest of the gaming audience doesnt buy.
I totally agree with you. I think Capcom is dead either way.

They bring back their classic franchises and lose money. If they stop releasing other games, they'll still lose money.
I would like to see them go out with a bang and bring back those other IP's.

Top Bottom