• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Papa John (the KFC of Pizza) is going organic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://fortune.com/2017/04/04/papa-johns-pizza-organic-gluten-free/

Papa John’s (pzza, +0.53%) is the latest restaurant chain to experiment with new ingredients in a bid to stay on trend with consumers' evolving palates.

The pizza purveyor has launched two pilot programs that incorporate organic produce and gluten-free crusts in its menu at select U.S. locations. Papa John’s organics pilot focuses on four toppings (Roma tomatoes, green peppers, yellow onions, and mushrooms) available only in the Lexington, Ky. market. Its gluten-free crust will be available in four Los Angeles, Phoenix, Nashville, and St. Louis.

"We just think this is a trend that is going to be out there, and we want to be the first in our industry to have organic produce on our menu," chief ingredients officer Sean Muldoon told Fortune in an interview. Papa John's is partnering with online organic delivery provider Green BEAN Delivery to source the produce it will need from family farms across several states.

For Papa John's, both test programs are aimed at tilting menu items toward trends that consumers say they care about today. About half of all U.S. households buy organic produce, and around 13% of produce that is grown in the U.S. today is from certified organic farms. Muldoon says that figure could rise to 20% by 2020. "That was telling us this is where the consumer is going," he said, adding it points to increased attention toward health and wellness.

Is that why their pizzas shrink but go up 2 dollars every time I turn around? I don't willing buy Papa John pizza but when the house is buying i never turn down free food.

georly

Wouldn't pizza hut be the KFC of pizza since it's owned by the same company? :p

But, cool, new more expensive pizza for a publicity stunt, i guess.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Papa John's is definitely the best of the big chains, so this should be interesting to see unfold. Hopefully this doesn't drive their prices up too much in the process.

Well good on them for adding gluten free crusts at least. More restaurants need to do the same. Getting pizzas as a person with celiac is pretty tough.

The question is if they are gonna make it good though. So glad I live by a lot of local pizza places so I don't have to come in contact with chain pizza.

border

I don't see how having a handful of organic vegetables really means they are "going organic". Wouldn't you also need organic dough, organic tomato sauce, organic pepperoni, etc?

In other news, I have really been enjoying their Bacon-Stuffed Cheese Sticks. I think they have the best cheese sticks of all the national chains.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Papa John's had been the lowest tier chain pizza since Dominoes changed their recipe a few years ago.

Smart to change up to match, but I doubt it'll affect much.

Could I ask them, as long as they are making changes, to also stop putting those peppers or even the dipping sauce in the box?

On the peppers, they are wet, often dripping wet, and a few times, the dripping wet has turned to fluids leaking out of the box. That's disgusting.

On the dipping sauce, I don't actually want that container touching the pizza crust. Hand it to me separately, kthx. (Actually, don't hand it to me, I don't use it.)

J4g3r

Is Papa Johns just really bad in the US or something?

As far as chain places go in the UK, I'd rate Papa Johns the highest in terms of "quality" over Pizza Hut and Dominos.

Except that Special Garlic Sauce, that shit can die in a fire.

Had papa a few times lately. Quality did seem a little better than previously. Also had some decent deals so I was only paying ~$5 average for an extra large.

antibolo

Banned
If I think "KFC of pizza" then Pizza Hut is definitely what first comes to mind. Greasy trash, and both owned by the same parent company.

When it comes to GAF, I usually hear Pizza Hut get flak for tasting like grease or Dominos getting roasted for having cardboard crust. Papa Johns being "the KFC of pizza" chains is new to me. :p

I'm OK with all three. :v

Look at all these pizza hot takes.

Fresh out the oven and made with natural ingredients!

Is Papa Johns just really bad in the US or something?

As far as chain places go in the UK, I'd rate Papa Johns the highest in terms of "quality" over Pizza Hut and Dominos.

Except that Special Garlic Sauce, that shit can die in a fire.

Its a US thing. Like most fast food places, the UK version is better.

spuckthew

Holy shit at all the Papa John's hate lol. Where I live they're at least on par with the other big chains. At one point in time they were my favourite to boot.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't care what they do to their pizza, I won't ever buy one as long as that giant asshole John is in charge of the place.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Holy shit at all the Papa John's hate lol. Where I live they're at least on par with the other big chains. At one point in time they were my favourite to boot.

Everybody's welcome to their opinions I guess. Domino's pizza has always been too salty and Pizza Hut's has always been too greasy in my experience.

Pizza Hut's obsession with thin crust pizza is also a bit of a downer in my opinion.

KFC is fine for fast food fried chicken.

Papa John's in an abomination to the word pizza.

Yes, I may be biased being from NY, but Papa John's is disgusting.

I used to love Papa John's, but I feel places like Pizza Hut and especially Domino's have really upped their game in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom