• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peep Show Season 9 |OT| If you can't handle it you can just, you know, fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

barik

peepshowbanner2.jpg

kleiner1_1.jpg

After an unbearable 3-year wait, the 9th and final season of Peep Show will finally start airing this November. Starting its run in 2003, the show follows the lives of Mark Corrigan and Jeremy "Jez" Usbourne, two dysfunctional, codependent friends who share a flat in Croydon, South London. Mark, a loan manager with a bleak and cynical outlook on life, is responsible but socially inept, while Jeremy, a lazy and unemployed would-be musician who lives in Mark's spare room, maintains a more confident but equally unproductive worldview. Stylistically, the show utilitizes point of view shots, with the thoughts of the main characters audible as voice-overs. The show is known for its hilarious rapid-fire dialogue and social commentary, its excruciating as well as completely ridiculous situations, but also for its brutal realism and depressing twists and turns. Like if Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm and the British version of The Office had an old baby, and then that baby started a cult.

kleiner2.jpg

mark2.jpg

Mark Corrigan (David Mitchell)

Mark Corrigan is the owner of the flat that he shares with Jeremy, in the outskirts of Croydon, South London. He is sensible and careful, but often has moments of impulsive and erratic behaviour. He appears to have had a somewhat miserable upbringing, with a domineering and stubborn father who he somehow wasn't brave, mature and independent enough to stand up, fight against and claim his independence from, and some infidelity by both parents. Mark is conscious of Jeremy's intellectual inferiority, but still looks to him for social guidance, as he is extremely socially awkward. Mark is plagued by paranoia as to how others perceive him, and doubts over whether his actions are normal. He is often unable to grasp how modern society operates, and simply endures activities that others seem to enjoy.

jez2.jpg

Jeremy "Jez" Usbourne (Robert Webb)

A wannabe musician, Jez, is a "work-shy freeloader" who is unemployed for most of the series. He is naïve, immature and often selfish, but considers himself very talented and attractive. He tends to be more sociable than Mark, but can sometimes be quite malicious and spiteful. He has displayed no qualms about engaging in actions such as ganging up on Mark with a bully, poisoning Mark to save a party, kissing Sophie or relapsing Super Hans into drug addiction. Jeremy is hedonistic and enjoys recreational drugs as well as casual sex.

dobby2.jpg

Dobbie (Isy Suttie)

Dobby (real name Debbie) is Mark's post-Sophie love interest, and former co-worker. In many ways she is similar to Mark in that she is an outsider - a girl who likes video games and fantasy roleplaying. However, she is more outgoing than Mark and her desire for adventure puts a strain on their relationship at times. Although their relationship is waylaid by various awkward situations and Mark's primary love rival Gerard, by the end of series 7 Dobby has agreed to move in with him. Throughout series 8, a variety of events seem to conspire to keep Dobby from moving in to Mark's flat. After a disastrous weekend in the Quantocks during which Mark brings Jeremy along, she accepts a job offer and heads to New York with her ex-boyfriend Simon.

hans2.jpg

Super Hans (Matt King)

Jeremy's band-mate and friend, "Super" Hans likes to think of himself as being superior to others and is an untrustworthy shyster and fantasist. He regularly uses recreational drugs, and experiences a crack cocaine addiction in the second series, later referenced again in the final episode of the third series and in the seventh series. His contentious opinions often contradict Jeremy's own ideas. He works in a recording studio in the first series. At the end of series 5 he joins a religious cult loosely based on Scientology. During the finale of series 6 we discover that he is father to eight-year-old twins.

sophie2.jpg

Sophie Chatman (Olivia Colman)

Sophie is Mark's former co-worker and love interest; they eventually marry, and almost immediately separate. As of the end of Series 5, she is pregnant with the child of either Mark, Jeremy or Jeff and at the end of series 6, it is confirmed that she is pregnant with Mark's child. A DNA test later confirms that Mark is the father, and the series ends with everyone driving to hospital when Sophie goes into labour.

The show has a large cast of characters, but many of them only appear for certain seasons or single episodes, like the friendships and relationships we have in real life. A full list of characters can be found here.

kleiner3.jpg

The show has never been known for its commercial success or high ratings. It's been considered a cult show practically since the first episode, has a small but loyal fan base, and has earned critical acclaim and a number of awards during its run.

The cast and writers have won several British Comedy Awards, a BAFTA, and several awards from the Royal Television Society. It has won the titles "The Best Returning British TV Sitcom 2007" and "Comedy of the Year 2008" in The Comedy.co.uk Awards, The Guardian newspaper described it as "the best comedy of the decade", and The Times praised the show's "scorching writing" and named it the 15th best TV show of the 2000s. So yeah, it's pretty fucking good.

kleiner4.jpg

The new season premieres on the 11th of November, 10 pm on Channel 4. US viewers can find the show on Hulu and US Netflix, and you're supposed to be able to watch the show on channel 4's website, you need an account there so I haven't been able to verify if it works. Most episodes can also be found on Youtube, as well as on other sites where you can illegally watch things. Sadly, again, this really isn't a show with a gigantic fan base, and the relatively low number of episodes doesn't provide incentive for networks to put it into syndication. Amazon also has a box set of the first 7 seasons, with a full collection hopefully on the way when this seasons wraps up.

kleiner5.jpg

Episode 9-1: 11th November, 10:00 pm - synopsis:
Jez has some rather constrictive new living quarters, and Mark has a new flatmate and has landed a bank job, but it seems that the wounds of mutual love for Dobby have not yet healed.

UPDATE: the first episode can be viewed here: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/peep-show/on-demand/51399-001

You need an account and a VPN blocker (it's UK viewers only), and you can only watch it once per account. But still!

Episode 9-2: 18th November
Episode 9-3: 25th November
Episode 9-4: 2nd December
Episode 9-5: 9th December
Episode 9-6: 16th December

Further synopses can be found here. Why would you read them though? What the fuck's wrong with you?

A trailer for the upcoming season:

And some stats! Everyone likes stats right?
11012503_10153051097207330_7952826965596903673_n.jpg

kleiner6.jpg

Really? Really? Well, just watch some out of context clips!

Receiving a pizza through a letterbox

Mark takes a driving lesson

Mark got raped

Jez becomes a handyman

Mark's views on drug users

Tricking the boiler

Jez's band records a song for a commercial

Nice packet of Crunchy Nut you got here, pretty expensive as I recall

I guess I'm trying to say that I like you, Peep Show.
543d5f2d03e5ea7ae781e444111f1b83.jpg

Ein Bear

Fantastic OP.

Feeling quite bittersweet about this, I can't wait for the GOAT comedy series to make it's return, but knowing it's the final series after all these years is getting. My entire social group has been obsessed with the series ever since it started.

It's outrageous. It's contagious.

-griffy-

Banned
Oh damn, had no idea this was happening. I burned through the entire series on Netflix around a year ago and loved it, but assumed that was it!

barik

Also, thanks to iMax for the thread title suggestion, which is fucking glorious. Look at it!

Glorious OT.

Can't wait, hope it goes out on a high. I have a feeling it will.

Quality-wise, right? Because a happy ending really seems out of the picture.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm gonna save up the entire series and watch it in one go over Christmas.

It's going to be fucking epic.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I'm surprised this show is still going...thought it ended for sure. I will remain cautiously optimistic about this season till seeing the first few episodes. I've rewatched the first 4 seasons dozens of times, the next 2 seasons a couple times, and probably only seen 7 and 8 once. Some jokes put the series in my "top comedies of all time" short list, but like any long running show there was a distinct dip in laug as time went on.

(If you're British replace "season" with "series" and "series" with...uhh...i guess "show")

barik

The entirety of the show is on US Netflix, not sure about other territories.

I read some things about it being taken off Netflix, so I wasn't sure about putting it in the OP. Can anyone outside the US confirm if the show is on there or not?

ZoronMaro

I know some people who hate this show so I always avoided it, but I loved That Mitchell and Webb Look, so maybe I should? Is the humor similar, or is it typical sitcom funny business?

Such an amazing show.

"Oh, a lesbian kiss. And nobody minds. Where are all the homophobes when you need them?"

I know some people who hate this show so I always avoided it, but I loved That Mitchell and Webb Look, so maybe I should? Is the humor similar, or is it typical sitcom funny business?
Watch asap

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I can't believe that anyone could hate this show. You absolutely should give it a go.

barik

Mitchell and Webb aren't the writers on this show, but I'd say the humor is on a similar level, intelligence-wise. It's anything but a typical sitcom. Just go watch it man!

It's about as far from "typical sitcom funny business" as I can imagine. Dark-as-fuck humor, so many wrong-feeling moments, a great mix of depressing and laugh-out-loud hilarious.

One of the things I wish had been mentioned in the OT is that it's shot in first-person. The perspective constantly changes to be the characters' -- zipping between them, and while you're inside their head you can hear their absolutely fucked up thoughts.

ZoronMaro

Mitchell and Webb aren't the writers on this show, but I'd say the humor is on a similar level, intelligence-wise. It's anything but a typical sitcom. Just go watch it man!

Alright I only accidentally discovered their sketch stuff very recently and was thinking about giving Peep Show a try anyway, I guess now's a very appropriate time to start.

blAAAm

Banned
As someone who just watched the first 8 seasons in about 2 weeks, Im so ready for this. I feel bad for anyone who has been waiting 3 years, this is such a great show!

Love the show, felt it's been incredibly consistent throughout (although I've seen many disagree). Going to marathon through it one more time in anticipation.

I hope Hulu gets these up right away, but if not, I have a VPN service.

AcridMeat

Banned
Holy crap I thought it wasn't back until next year! My favorite comedy, though I go back and forth on whether I like Spaced more given the day.

Sad it's ending, but really hope it goes out with a bang. I've tried to get people to watch Peep Show more often than any other show.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Love the show, felt it's been incredibly consistent throughout (although I've seen many disagree). Going to marathon through it one more time in anticipation.

I hope Hulu gets these up right away, but if not, I have a VPN service.

It's been incredibly consistent for how long it's been going. It has tailed off a bit, but I think it's going to pull it back with this one.

I don't think we'd be getting it otherwise.

zaryn

I've had this show in my Netflix queue for ages, and finally watched the first episode yesterday. It's fucking hilarious! At first, I wasn't sure if the first-person stuff would get old, but by the end, I couldn't imagine the show working without it. I'm glad to see it's persistent throughout every episode. I can't fucking wait to dive back into it.

Bio-Frost

Can't wait for this to air!! Been too long of a wait. Just sucks not knowing when the new episodes will start showing up on places like Hulu for those of us outside the UK.

-Gozer-

This is my dream, my nightmare.

Sad to see it end.

Hopefully the US won't have to wait too long to watch it.

I've had this show in my Netflix queue for ages, and finally watched the first episode yesterday. It's fucking hilarious! At first, I wasn't sure if the first-person stuff would get old, but by the end, I couldn't imagine the show working without it. I'm glad to see it's persistent throughout every episode. I can't fucking wait to dive back into it.

From what I recall there is one scene where the camera perspective makes no sense. It's also a very weird scene.
The bad thing.

Will Hulu add the episodes as they air, or at least with a few day delay?

This is the greatest comedy still airing and one of the best ever.

And have they announced any plans for a future project once it's over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom