• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peep Show Season 9 |OT| If you can't handle it you can just, you know, fuck off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a heads up if you live in the UK and you're on the O2 network you can watch the finale tonight after 10pm on the O2 priority site. Technically 48 hours before it airs on Channel 4.

I literally only recently found out via this thread. Better late than never I guess.

MMaRsu

Banned
Just a heads up if you live in the UK and you're on the O2 network you can watch the finale tonight after 10pm on the O2 priority site. Technically 48 hours before it airs on Channel 4.

I literally only recently found out via this thread. Better late than never I guess.

Daaaaamn that's dope.. any way for someone from the Netherlands to watch it?

iMax

Got a link? :)

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
The ending is ok. It is a pretty solid ending and there are some nice lines. However like the rest of the season it felt very... flat? There was very little purpose to it, very little rhythm and everything felt quite rushed.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Is it really the series finale then? Or are they pulling an Eastbound & Down or Curb

I think it probably is the end. Really it feels like they didn't particularly want to do this series. Not to say it is bad; it is a significant improvement on previous seasons. Peep Show as it was could be cut in half, there is a lot of shit in there.

barik

Slight finale spoilers:
I think the finale would have benefited from having an extra twenty or forty minutes, again things felt slightly rushed. I really liked the genuine moments, and the ending, albeit slightly predictable (though it was also hinted towards), felt fitting and suitably (un)satisfying. Going to need to dissect this one a bit more, there's always a bunch of jokes packed into it that don't hit or register the first time around.

Peep Show as it was could be cut in half, there is a lot of shit in there.

tumblr_nsjboiqUDz1u65rmzo1_r1_400.gif

Is it really the series finale then? Or are they pulling an Eastbound & Down or Curb

Seems like it's really the end, though they mentioned they'd like to revisit Peep Show when they're much older, but I wouldn't count on anything more than a one-off special in ten/twenty or so years. Mitchell, Webb, Bain and Armstrong were also working on another project together though, a sitcom I think.

Overall I'm just really sad it's finally over. Regardless of how this season was recieved, (and I do understand some of the criticisms and disappointments posted here) the series as a whole is a unique piece of work, and has been my favorite source of comedy for the past ten-something years. I can't believe it's really over, though on the other hand they've had one hell of a run. The longest running British sitcom, even. End of a fucking era.

Also I'd like to thank everyone for contributing to this thread! When I asked if we needed an OT for this final season, I expected it to be filled with the same three people posting once after each episode. To see the number of long-time fans in this thread has warmed my cold, Mark Corrigan-like heart. You are all my El Dude Brothers.

tumblr_mqjiqnCgaP1qen3q5o1_400.gif

elfinke

"Mark! I've done a thing!"

You bet your arse I'm going to shout that in the general direction of everyone at work tomorrow.

Skyzard

Banned
Loved the first episode and the last one, the ones in between were a bit too off the handle but appreciated of course.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time

Writers confirmed in Q&A I attended that this is very much the end. They're not interested in doing a film and neither were David & Robert

Superimposer

Any idea if this will be put online at some point? And how long was it? The other Q&A was really fun, I'd love to see another one where they can talk about the series as a whole.

Regular length. As others have said the beats to get to the ending feel a bit packed in to 25 minutes but I personally very much liked where it ended up.

Thought it was a solid ending though also quite
downbeat. It ended in typical Peep Show style with everything going wrong in a hilarious way but I finished the episode feeling sad that both the show is finished now and Mark and Jez ended up so unhappy. Thought for sure Mark would end up with April and at least achieve a modicum of happiness. She seemed so perfect for him. It has been nine seasons and he ultimately ends up alone and without anyone? Again?

I know it probably couldn't have ended in any other way or else it wouldn't fit the ethos of the show but to be honest I felt a little depressed as the episode finished.

Good season overall. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Ein Bear

Really enjoyed that ending, thought it was perfect.

Mark and Jez just belong together. They're both equally terrible human beings, I love that nothing's really changed. Some nice call backs to the very first episode with them both falling out.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, I liked the ending as well. It's the only way it could end really.

Been a really good series, lots of high points.

- Guantanamo Bay with a sleeping bag
- Super Hans' wedding vows
- The whole dinner party episode
- Mark on coke
- Burying the ex-wife in a ballpit

So long Peep Show, you've been great.

Superimposer

Really enjoyed that ending, thought it was perfect.

Mark and Jez just belong together. They're both equally terrible human beings, I love that nothing's really changed. Some nice call backs to the very first episode with them both falling out.

Fun fact:
writers revealed at the Q&A that there was a deleted scene from the last episode where Mark repeated the Judas bacon bed trick that Jez did to him in episode 1

AcridMeat

Banned
Thought it was a solid ending though also quite
downbeat. It ended in typical Peep Show style with everything going wrong in a hilarious way but I finished the episode feeling sad that both the show is finished now and Mark and Jez ended up so unhappy. Thought for sure Mark would end up with April and at least achieve a modicum of happiness. She seemed so perfect for him. It has been nine seasons and he ultimately ends up alone and without anyone? Again?

I know it probably couldn't have ended in any other way or else it wouldn't fit the ethos of the show but to be honest I felt a little depressed as the episode finished.

Good season overall. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Felt quite sad too towards the end. I mean, it was inevitable and I'm honestly glad they're done and able to have a finale. Sucks because I didn't actually laugh at anything as a result. Just reminisced about the series as a whole.
And that final shot.
Mark and Jez together. No P.O.V.
Perfect.
Yep that was perfect.
Also made perfect sense that they'd get to their middle ages and start feeling completely fucked in life because of how terrible they are.

Spaghetti

appropriate but anti-climactic. this whole series has kind of felt like most comedies do when they've ran out of steam.

i went back to watch some of series 4 and by god it is so much better.

Actually, I'm wrong about the final shot -
it's a mirror of the opening sequence where Mark and Jez view themselves in the televisions. The P.O.V is ours - the audience.

Real Hero

Have to be honest sort of the worst series of the show, worth it for the final scene which was great but I don't know it didn't have the spark of previous series

SuperHans

Good season much better then the last. Its sad to see it go but its had its time. Hope the guys go on to something new that isn't a fucking panel show.

Good season much better then the last. Its sad to see it go but its had its time. Hope the guys go on to something new that isn't a fucking panel show.

I believe they are working on something.

Are they ever doing another That Mitchell and Webb look?

How was their other show - Ambassadors?

My favorite comedy series. Such a wonderful last episode and ending. Everythings fucked and Marc and Jez are alone, together, forever.

Time to binge watch the whole series!!!

mr-paul

This last season has been pretty disappointing overall, but it still made me smile throughout.

Episode three was a classic though. If the rest of the series had lived up to that it would've been one of the best.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Found the final episode pretty disappointing. Felt extremely rushed and we didn't really get any sense of closure. Just felt like an average, generic episode as opposed to an actual ending for the characters. I guess that fits with the general "grim, anti-climatic" vibe of the show as a whole but...I don't know. Felt like they could have been more creative.

I'm only three or four episodes in but kind of sad to read that it's over now. I'm not the hugest fan of the show, but it has been amazingly consistent over a decade and more. I'll probably finish watching it over the weekend.

master15

The finale was okay but the show goes out on a bit of a whimper rather than a proverbial bang. I like many felt many story threads felt kind of rushed and would have loved a final episode just largely with Mark and Jez (think of that episode that are both trapped in Zahar's apartment).

The writing definitely took a nose dive from the high's of Season 4 but overall an absolute classic comedy series ends. Very sad.

RangerX

Banned
Just watched the finale and Wasn't that big a fan of it tbh. Didn't really get any proper closure at all. This was one of the worst seasons actually. It seemed kind of aimless and meandering. Still the first four or five seasons are absolutely genius and some of the best comedy going. They should have ended it a little earlier though, it has run out of steam.

TasTokyo

I'm kind of surprised to see people wanting some kind of big ending, closure, or feeling things were rushed. I personally think it's always been like that.

I remember when I first watched it and I honestly thought I was missing episodes because there would be so many time skips, mentions of things I hadn't seen etc. Big moments often end up not meaning a lot because their lives just go on.

I think that's the thing I love about Peep Show. It feels like just Mark and Jez living their lives and we get to cut in every now and then. Even if the show ended with a bang or with a happy ending it would be undone almost immediately by them.

I really liked the ending, it had a lot to it.
Jeremy is starting to calm down with age. Mark is clearly trying to make his son an improved version of him. If Mark ended up with April they would just break up soon anyway. He did his old mistake of pretending to be someone he wasn't. She was basically just Dobby version 2.0. Mark eventually realising he didn't like Dobby because she was too active and wild would happen again.

Sad to see the show go, as I do think it's one of the greatest comedies ever made. However, I'm happy with how it finished. There is no clear beginning, middle and end. It's just a hodge podge of them living and ruining everything they touch.

I'm kind of surprised to see people wanting some kind of big ending, closure, or feeling things were rushed. I personally think it's always been like that.

I remember when I first watched it and I honestly thought I was missing episodes because there would be so many time skips, mentions of things I hadn't seen etc. Big moments often end up not meaning a lot because their lives just go on.

I think that's the thing I love about Peep Show. It feels like just Mark and Jez living their lives and we get to cut in every now and then. Even if the show ended with a bang or with a happy ending it would be undone almost immediately by them.

I really liked the ending, it had a lot to it.
Jeremy is starting to calm down with age. Mark is clearly trying to make his son an improved version of him. If Mark ended up with April they would just break up soon anyway. He did his old mistake of pretending to be someone he wasn't. She was basically just Dobby version 2.0. Mark eventually realising he didn't like Dobby because she was too active and wild would happen again.

Sad to see the show go, as I do think it's one of the greatest comedies ever made. However, I'm happy with how it finished. There is no clear beginning, middle and end. It's just a hodge podge of them living and ruining everything they touch.

Good post, and I pretty much agree. I was satisfied with the ending overall and agree that it didn't need a big showstopper. Just an emphasis on how much of a fuck up they both are, and despite at times loathing one another, being together is actually the perfect place for them, in their little rut. Both useless at relationships, both unable to grow, Mark needing Jez to feel superior and better about himself and Jez needing Mark as he's a lazy freeloader who can't hold a proper job. Even Hans went through the same elongated realisation that he was unable to change, but he's nowhere near as self-pitying as these two. I thought it was a great ending, and I liked the theme that they didn't have an arc, both unhappy with each other without realising that they need each other.

Chopper

I'm doing a mega rewatch of this show, cos I missed the last few series. I just got to the end of season 5, where the father of Sophie's baby is cast into doubt. I know she and Jez had a snog at the JLB conference, but did I miss when they actually slept together? Or did it happen "off-screen"?

barik

I'm doing a mega rewatch of this show, cos I missed the last few series. I just got to the end of season 5, where the father of Sophie's baby is cast into doubt. I know she and Jez had a snog at the JLB conference, but did I miss when they actually slept together? Or did it happen "off-screen"?

It happened offscreen, at the start of the episode in which Jez joins a cult (Mark's Women), or at least the end of that episode is where it's revealed.

Chopper

It happened offscreen, at the start of the episode in which Jez joins a cult (Mark's Women), or at least the end of that episode is where it's revealed.
That's what I thought. I knew I wasn't going mad. I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger deal about that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom