• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

Mory Dunz

9EmReln.jpg

SURGEdude

what happened to Parity ubi? Now we have the XOne performing better, wtf?

how hard would it be to just pull back or reduced the amount of NPs to get performance back?

Nah the "parity" thing was a misquote. They were going for "parroty" not parity. A term they specifically coined to describe the bird brains who put this thing together.

But hey unlike BF I have no reason to by Unity. This far from launch there are tons of games that run well and don't have that trademark fuck-boring Ubi openworld crud.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

very well said. i have friends at ubi and cant wait to hear the horror stories tonight.

VxPtHjI.gif

legacyzero

Banned
That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

This post needs to be ALL over NeoGAF. I'm tweeting this shit and EVERYTHING.

#ChangeUbisoft

Are people really basing the PS4's CPU speed from a Ubisoft slide, or did Sony actually announce CPU speeds at some point, because I've seen a few posts on here in the past that had sites benchmarking the CPU on both consoles as being identical.

This game runs like dogshit no matter where you go, glad I had the good sense not to pre-order this mess. Who didn't see this coming, really.

The slide shows how many concurrent cloth simulations you can run on each piece of discrete hardware (PS4 CPU, PS4 GPU, X1 CPU, X1 GPU, etc.). It does not show overall performance metrics.

The interesting part is that you can run that particular task on the PS4 GPU nearly twice as many times as you can on the X1 GPU (1600 vs. 830), whereas the X1 CPU has a marginal advantage in running this same task over the PS4's CPU (115 vs. 98)

So the performance analysis does validate what the anonymous source from Ubi had said to GiantBomb. That they just struggled to get the game running from single digit to double digit frames on PS4/Xbox One?

What a random straw to have broken the floodgates of impotent gamer rage at Ubisoft.
As if signs haven't been pointing at this for ages.

I'm sure if you really love parkouring around and stabbing people, this game will be just as fun as the others minus a couple frames per second.

Vire

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

Well said friend.

I'm not even angry anymore... just sad. Incredibly sad that this is what AAA gaming has been reduced to in 2014. I don't think I can remember ever being more disappointed in a year of gaming than 2014.

Just a complete an utter clusterfuck.

orochi91

The slide shows how many concurrent cloth simulations you can run on each piece of discrete hardware (PS4 CPU, PS4 GPU, X1 CPU, X1 GPU, etc.). It does not show overall performance metrics.

The interesting part is that you can run that particular task on the PS4 GPU nearly twice as many times as you can on the X1 GPU (1600 vs. 830), whereas the X1 CPU has a marginal advantage in running this same task over the PS4's CPU (115 vs. 98)

Why on Earth is Ubi not using GPGPU compute?!

If this game is the basis for their next-gen AC engine, then I have no hope for any of their AC titles going forward.

Can't tell anymore, lol. But is fake trolling allowed though?

Because those are legit complaints, not trolling....

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

Amen

Amir0x

Banned
Well said friend.

I'm not even angry anymore... just sad. Incredibly sad that this is what AAA gaming has been reduced to in 2014. I don't think I can remember ever being more disappointed in a year of gaming than 2014.

Just a complete an utter clusterfuck.

someone posted a link to Ubisoft saying they want to turn $60 customers into $200 customers with microtransactions

i mean. There's so many good people that work in this industry and I hope it thrives and can find a business model that isn't so corrosive. But if being AAA means this shit at this point, it's not worth it. It's just not imo. It's hard to care about the idea of the AAA market crumbling at this rate.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
It seems to me unprecedented that Ubisoft managed to piece together a worse performing game on a better performing machine.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

Nice rhetoric. I suppose that's not an unreasonable approach.

For me, for a given Ubi game, I just won't buy that game if it appears to be un-good once I find that out to be the case upon release; and will buy it if it appears to be good.

For instance, Black Flag by most accounts was pretty good so I bought it. Unity appears to be the-AC3-overreach-debacle-redux-but-worse, so I won't buy it. If a good one comes out later I'll buy it... etc.

E.g., FarCry 4 looks amazing (as was FC3 for PC), so if this is confirmed by post-release press I will surely reward the developers of that game with my money and myself with a pleasant experience. It seems reasonable to vote with one's wallet on a product-by-product basis.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Wow the lighting is light years better on the Xbox One version

Yep, the xbone is so good. Thanks microsoft engineers.

So the performance analysis does validate what the anonymous source from Ubi had said to GiantBomb. That they just struggled to get the game running from single digit to double digit frames on PS4/Xbox One?

Yea. Like I said on the previous page, the first "next-gen" demos were on a 680 paired with a core i7. I think some developers were actually foolish enough to believe that target. Unfortunately, AC: Unity was three years into development before Ubisoft Kiev went "Oh shit, this performs terribly(terribly means sub-30fps consistently. some would say anything below 60 is terrible. I am of the opinion it's dependent on the game.) on anything that's not high-end PC."

orochi91

Lol

someone posted a link to Ubisoft saying they want to turn $60 customers into $200 customers with microtransactions

i mean. There's so many good people that work in this industry and I hope it thrives and can find a business model that isn't so corrosive. But if being AAA means this shit at this point, it's not worth it. It's just not imo. It's hard to care about the idea of the AAA market crumbling at this rate.

I believe this level of shitty-ness is unique to Ubisoft simply because of the way they pump these games out.

They need all the revenue humanly possible to feed their factory.

ymmv

Banned
I would take the 900p and the framerate if the game at least would actually look like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOISIeGvjkc

That trailer says it's showing alpha footage (in other words: not CGI, but actual in game footage). But the difference between that video and every other video taken from the released game is just as big as the difference between the first showing of Watch Dogs and the actual downgraded game that was released. Just compare the reveal trailer showing the protagonist looking down from the Notre Dame with this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOY5OxstCV4

deeptech

5mds0d.png

Do we know if those are from the same daytime? The stuff on PS4 just looks like it's currently more shadowy.

It's actually clouds blocking the sun , it always changes.. you can almost never get the same screen , unless it's a scripted scene

Why on Earth is Ubi not using GPGPU compute?!

If this game is the basis for their next-gen AC engine, then I have no hope for any of their AC titles going forward.

Because those are legit complaints, not trolling....

Because as many of us have gathered (including Matt who has chimed in as saying "There is no excuse for this."), this is an undercooked, unoptimized clusterfuck of a game. You should not read much into the performance differential in that light, as an undercooked game is an undercooked game (it just might be a bit more cooked on X1, as it's the lead platform for this game).

Maybe when they put some patches out to fix the horrendous bugs and poor coding, we will have a better idea of how the game was intended to perform.

prwxv3

I believe the game has dynamic lighting and that's why the screens look so different. Honestly is the only thing from the game that looks great tech wise to me anyway.

Kuro

So did they not even follow through (with optimization) with their own presentation?

playstation-4-vs-xbox1js4h.jpg

probably ran out of time considering how rushed this game appears to be. Just insane that Ubi's huge 500+ dev team couldn't get this game working properly.

ICPEE

Because as many of us have gathered (including Matt who has chimed in as saying "There is no excuse for this."), this is an undercooked, unoptimized clusterfuck of a game. You should not read much into the performance differential in that light, as an undercooked game is an undercooked game.

Maybe when they put some patches out to fix the horrendous bugs and poor coding, we will have a better idea of how the game was intended to perform.
Sorry but i just have to ask. Just who and what the fuck is Matt?

Top Bottom