• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

boeso

Just back from work and holy fucking shit!

It performs better on X1? Shit is bananas. Love the mood in this thread, popcorn at the ready. Is this Ubi's lowest move yet? Agree we need to make a stand against this, just ridiculous.

ICPEE

Paying customers demand better. Pretty straight forward.

Game was clearly not ready for prime-time, yet the Ubi still charged full price and had last minute embargo to boot.

They are indeed fucking over the consumers.
Totally agree with you.

Then again i wouldn't even play this game if it was offered to me for free. I can't believe how bug riddled this game is ontop of the shitty performance issues across the board.
Blows my mind how this was allowed out the front door. Christ on a bike.

EctoPrime

Has Digital Foundry ever stated the conditions that games are being tested under. I would guess offline and fully installed (no spinning disc).

He's content with letting companies walk over him.

Unfortunately, there are way more people like him, hence why AC:U will sell tons.

Seeing the post he was agreeing with, he was in fact advocating NOT buying AC:U, so what you posted is apparently false in a straightforward way.

What I was saying, and he ostensibly agreed with, is that refusing to buy AC:U, a broken product, is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't go so far as to avoid buying anything else this large publisher ever puts out. Just as an example, AC1 may not have been a buggy mess, but it was also a 5-hour game repeated about 10 times -- it was unfinished in another way. However AC2 was great. It isn't that hard to assess this after the fact and then buy the game that actually is good.

With the crowd densities and the infamously weak CPUs on the next-gem consoles this isn't surprising. The surprising part is why didn't Ubisoft just tone down the crowds and work within the consoles' strengths as opposed to force something down the throats of machines that can't handle it.

Also... Can they patch any of these performance issues?
I don't think the weak framerate is something that can be fixed with a quick patch but a rewriting of the power hungry algorithms so they can be processed in GPGPU tasks. That could take months and will more likely happen with the next iteration of the game. These are tales from my ass obviously...

With the crowd densities and the infamously weak CPUs on the next-gem consoles this isn't surprising. The surprising part is why didn't Ubisoft just tone down the crowds and work within the consoles' strengths as opposed to force something down the throats of machines that can't handle it.

Alex Amancio

KageMaru

Yep. I'm not falling in with this outrage brigade tactic shit. Its fucking video games.

I also don't buy into the whole 'game developer is evil' stuff, either. Pretty sure Unity is mainly just a case of too much ambition and poorly handled technical priorities, not some attempt to fuck consumers. And if you aren't able to weed through predictable PR fluff, I don't know what to say.

I mean, if people want to get angry about it and act like this is some civil rights issue, then ok, but man, I'm really glad I don't have that sort of mindset. Sounds miserable.

+1

Looks like the devs bit off more than they could chew and AC is too big of a name to miss out on the holiday sales so ubisoft released it regardless of the performance. Sucks and I don't agree with it but that's business sometimes. Hopefully they'll patch it soon.

Edit:

I don't think the weak framerate is something that can be fixed with a quick patch but a rewriting of the power hungry algorithms so they can be processed in GPGPU tasks. That could take months and will more likely happen with the next iteration of the game. These are tales from my ass obviously...

Not everything is a good fit for GPGPU computing. Moving things over to that may not be an option.

mave198

Can someone please tell me if Ubi ever had Unity running @1080p on PS4? I could've sworn I saw a tweet from Ubi or something to that effect....

RetroStu

Banned
I was watching DSP play this on Twitch earlier and DSP said that someone tweeted him saying that UBISoft had said they are working on a patch to fix the framerate.
I don't see anything on here about it so i guess its bullshit?

They're biting off way more than they can chew. Those dense crowds look nice sure but I doubt people are going to think it's worth it if they can even hit cinematic framerates. Well I guess they can hit 1920s era cinematic framerates so that's something...

Oh, I agree. I think they probably should have delayed the game, but it's too late now. i do applaud the ambition though even if they failed to deliver something playable on consoles. At the least, it means the game will be a showcase for high-end rigs for the next few years given its implementation of tesselation and pcss on that version.

You can't attribute slightly better frame rate performance to CPU difference in a badly performing unfinished glitchy game like this. It's pure luck the One version has a few extra frames inbetween all the glitches, pop-in, teleporting NPCs and their metamorphosising clothing.

Seanspeed

Banned
Paying customers demand better. Pretty straight forward.

Game was clearly not ready for prime-time, yet the Ubi still charged full price and had last minute embargo to boot.

They are indeed fucking over the consumers.
Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything, though. I find it very hard to sympathize with consumers who make poor purchasing decisions.

And yes, Ubisoft still has to put the game out. They cant just cancel the game because it didn't turn out great. And they will still try and convince people to buy it. That's what businesses do.

I was interested in the game. Now I'm probably not going to get it. Not anytime soon at least(will give it a chance if performance is improved later on). BAM. So simple. No anger. I will move on. When Far Cry 4 comes out, I'll check out how it runs. If its good, I'll get it. If not, I'll avoid it, too. Again, simple and no anger necessary.

Elginer

That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

tumblr_n1uazgR1JJ1qln00mo1_500.gif

orochi91

Seeing the post he was agreeing with, he was in fact advocating NOT buying AC:U, so what you posted is apparently false.

What I was saying, and he ostensibly agreed with, is that refusing to buy AC:U, a broken product, is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn't go so far as to avoid buying anything else this large publisher ever puts out.

Ah, indeed I read that wrong.

As for boycotting, a good course of action in that case would be to wait.

Wait for the reviews and performance analysis to come in before choosing to purchase.

Though personally I go all the way and just ignore the company all together or buy cheap used copies.

RayMaker

Banned
Oh boy...

Misterx is going to have a field day with this,lol.

Man this is just disappointing for X1 and even more so for PS4 owners, whatever the bloody reason is it sucks to have a game perform so poorly.

The media attention this is going to get there will be an inevitable patch, right

there must be, right...?

i-Lo

Yep. I'm not falling in with this outrage brigade tactic shit. Its fucking video games.

I also don't buy into the whole 'game developer is evil' stuff, either. Pretty sure Unity is mainly just a case of too much ambition and poorly handled technical priorities, not some attempt to fuck consumers. And if you aren't able to weed through predictable PR fluff, I don't know what to say.

I mean, if people want to get angry about it and act like this is some civil rights issue, then ok, but man, I'm really glad I don't have that sort of mindset. Sounds miserable.

I don't get the whole "video games" thing; it's as if it's kids stuff and expecting promised performance in return of monetary compensation is a sort of pie-in-the-sky fantasy.

No, it's not civil rights movement and yea, it is a mishandling of technical priorities allied to over-ambition. It is also a matter of ethics- pushing micro-transactions for a broken game, lying under the guise of PR etc are the subsequent actions that are tantamount to "fuck"ing the "consumer".

ICPEE

He's content with letting companies walk over him.

Unfortunately, there are way more people like him, hence why AC:U will sell tons.

Nope lol
I worked in retail (at a furniture/electronics store) and i tell you the amount of complaints and returns the customers demanded for the smallest things. I had to handle a complaint when a customer wanted his money back for a scratch (inch long) on a wooden post at the foot of a leather lounge suite he received. I'm not talking about a swap for another set but a full refund.
People are allowed to complain and demand their money back if they feel they're not getting goods as advertised. Its within their rights as consumers and here in South Africa (and im sure most other countries) the customer ALWAYS WINS.

Cuyejo

Fucking LOL, I thought it was bad but NOT THIS bad, the game simply can't hold 30 fps MOST of the time, not some times, most of the time, and somehow they managed to make the most powerful console run WORSE, Ubi you really have outdone yourself in incompetency with this game, holy shit.

Coolade

Original Creative Vision + Marketing vs Time Constraints and Quarterly Earnings i'd imagine? Just a hypothetical guess. I don't know if these issues can be patched. All I can hope for is far cry 4 getting solid reviews and user impressions and I'll gladly just go along pretending AC Unity never existed. Dragon Age/GTA V will suffice in scratching that open world itch.

Synless

A pity Sony can't be bothered to send a few engineers to help out like MS does.

The results are clearly on display here.

Incompetence falls on both Ubisoft and Sony here for fucking up the PS4 version.

MS getting shit done.
Why the fuck should Sony send anyone to help fix Ubi's broke ass game on an architecture Sony made simple to utilize? Incompetence falls on Ubisoft alone.

wachie

It's fucking video games so we can bend over? Some standards, being intentionally oblivious just because ... video games!

Elios83

Also... Can they patch any of these performance issues?

Technically yes.
Bugs should be easily fixed with upcoming patches like a Bethesda game :D Performance issues depend on how their game is built, how their engine accomplish the different tasks.
They might do optimizations to help improve things, but if the problem is in how their code is engineered it might take a lot and they might decide it's not worth it.....they'll ship whatever they plan to ship anyway in November and December and they're already working on the next game....welcome to Ubisoft's world.

WinterX

Banned
JRPGs? There's more than one?

And Metal Gear solid doesn't have a thousand NPCs on screen at the same time. The game is a mess, but comparisons like that make no sense.
Useless NPCs with poor AI. No step forward when comparing with older AC games.

Not everything is a good fit for GPGPU computing. Moving things over to that may not be an option.
Absolutely, I just described the best case scenario here. The worst being "deal with it, we got your dollars anyway dumbass". Maybe that's also the most plausible...

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't get the whole "video games" thing; it's as if it's kids stuff and expecting promised performance in return of monetary compensation is a sort of pie-in-the-sky fantasy.

No, it's not civil rights movement and yea, it is a mishandling of technical priorities allied to over-ambition. It is also a matter of ethics- pushing micro-transactions for a broken game, lying under the guise of PR etc are the subsequent actions that are tantamount to "fuck"ing the "consumer".
Did you get fucked? Cuz I didn't.

Only people getting fucked are people who don't have the patience to learn about something before buying. And I feel absolutely no desire to stand up for these people.

RexNovis

Banned
That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

Well that certainly paints a condemning picture. I think its pretty clear that the lead platform was XB1 here and they just did a quick code port to PS4 with essentially 0 optimization. It explains the frame rate difference adn the resolution and effects parity and it also fits the character of the company since they have a history of reusing assets, engines and animations across multiple titles to cut down development costs and time as much as possible. I think this gen is going to be a rude awakening for UbiSoft since now that the market is chock full of games and options for the consumer they have little reason to put up with their crap.

Vire

Different time of day + XB1pop™.

I don't know if this is a glitch, but that sort of complete lack of shadowing doesn't scream better lighting to me.

acv-3s1skm.jpg

Who the fuck cares? Seriously? The actual game runs like shit 95% of the time.

MavFan619

Banned
You can't attribute slightly better frame rate performance to CPU difference in a badly performing unfinished glitchy game like this. It's pure luck the One version has a few extra frames inbetween all the glitches, pop-in, teleporting NPCs and their metamorphosising clothing.
Yep I mean if people are going to go ham over 5 frames it has to be stressed from my personal first few moments of play the framerate on the Xbox One version isn't a resounding success. It's the opposite this game is poop technically on these boxes and Ubi really should have reconsidered those crowds, they really don't add much as the "immersion" they create is marred by all the janky stuff happening with them.

SRTtoZ

but I thought the game doesn't have day cycle?

I think you're confused because the game is using baked lighting instead of dynamic. For the baked lighting I believe they use sort of presets that get cycled through, like 24 of them or something I remember reading.

Will look before I leap next time. I bought the turd on PS4. After the great AC4 Black Flag, I had high hopes.

This will not happen again.

boeso

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy anything, though. I find it very hard to sympathize with consumers who make poor purchasing decisions.

And yes, Ubisoft still has to put the game out. They cant just cancel the game because it didn't turn out great. And they will still try and convince people to buy it. That's what businesses do.

I was interested in the game. Now I'm probably not going to get it. Not anytime soon at least(will give it a chance if performance is improved later on). BAM. So simple. No anger. I will move on. When Far Cry 4 comes out, I'll check out how it runs. If its good, I'll get it. If not, I'll avoid it, too. Again, simple and no anger necessary.

Your lack of compassion for people who end up getting burnt is strange. Have you never bought something thats been mis-sold or broken? Maybe you expected better, or bought something based on an advert and you didn't have enough time to check the reviews. Maybe a busy parent might fall into this category.

Some people are too busy working around the clock for not a lot of money to research what they were sold was as advertised. I have fucking sympathy for them and so should you.

Seanspeed

Banned
It's fucking video games so we can bend over? Some standards, being intentionally oblivious just because ... video games!
Like I said to the last person - are you bending over? Cuz I'm not.

I'm not buying the game. It seems like a mess. I just don't have any interest in being further outraged about a video game not being great.

3bdelilah

Banned
I was unfortunately expecting a bad PC port but even the prioritized console versions run like crap? I hope Ubisoft gets shit on so hard it won't even be funny.

wachie

Like I said to the last person - are you bending over? Cuz I'm not.

I'm not buying the game. It seems like a mess. I just don't have any interest in being further outraged about a video game not being great.
I was this close to pre-ordering this game. So I was very close to being fucked over. The fact that I didnt doesnt mean I shouldnt be upset.

We bend over and say thank you. Where's your manners
Plus we got this .. Assassin's Creed: Unity microtransactions were disabled and hidden in review versions

Why should we not buy other games from such a LOVELY publisher?

RayMaker

Banned
Why the fuck should Sony send anyone to help fix Ubi's broke ass game on an architecture Sony made simple to utilize? Incompetence falls on Ubisoft alone.

Regardless on the fact that its Ubi's fault it is still in sony's best interest that this game runs at least at parity, for the reason that this creates only negatives for sony.

Sony can do and maybe should nothing, but if they do nothing they will suffer slightly for it .

Given this whole fiasco, I think it might finally be time for you to get your 'Remove Shu' petition off the ground.

The fact that Sony/Shu didn't send elite teams of engineers to help out ubisoft with their ambitious project is unforgivable. I demand justice, as I'm sure you do also.

Top Bottom