• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Unity (Digital Foundry)

cackhyena

Sony never acknowledged the 1.6Ghz speed, it's just that it's the base for both the CPUs in these consoles; they are almost identical.

XB1 received a boost though, to 1.75Ghz.

This is all off memory, so I may be off a bit.

And more to come, I hope!

Better textures and lighting on the XB1 + better frame rate.

Uhhh, nope.

I was doing a shadow mission, following a bad guy through a poor district. Anyways, I climbed down into a corner, after being on the roof, just to fall through the map.

I fell so far down that my character looked like a pee. Then the camera went closer. Thankfully I could fast travel.

That was unexpected and kind of funny. I've rarely fallen through maps.

LosDaddie

Banned
Well, let's go back to E3 2012.

The first "next-gen" demos were shown with Watch_Dogs and SE's Agni's Philosophy demo. These two demos were running on core i7's paired with a 680. It's natural to assume now that the developer's believed that was the class of hardware they were targeting. This would have already been two years into AC: Unity's development.

Likely scenario is they got it running decent enough with a core i7 and 680. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean it will run well on consoles since the console's GPU capabilities are actually closer to the 750 TI in performance than a 680 even in real world scenarios. Along with this, any recent core i7 processor runs laps around the 8-core jaguar in consoles. Unfortunately, they likely didn't realize just how bad it would run til around 9 months back.

You think 9mos wasn't enough time to get the engine running respectably? I wouldn't know.

This is just a mess. Again, I wouldn't be surprised with this performance on a launch game, but this is Ubi's 2nd round of games.

OsirisBlack

Banned

How this shit even got released is beyond me seriously.

Kill it with
fire_zpsdvtrruun.gif

orochi91

Because as many of us have gathered (including Matt who has chimed in as saying "There is no excuse for this."), this is an undercooked, unoptimized clusterfuck of a game. You should not read much into the performance differential in that light, as an undercooked game is an undercooked game (it just might be a bit more cooked on X1, as it's the lead platform for this game).

Maybe when they put some patches out to fix the horrendous bugs and poor coding, we will have a better idea of how the game was intended to perform.

Ubi has pushed out Watch Dogs and AC:U, both of which are their flagship next-gen IPs.

Both ran terribly.

This company needs to seriously rethink they're development process.

It's not working.

Eurogamer:

So yes, either trolling or ....

The lighting doesn't look the same to me.

DOWN

Banned
Two weeks is a very small, almost insignificant amount of time. I was a bit worried that they were so desperate for a delay, they latched on to just another two weeks but still snuck it in during the second to last release week in November. They really just crunched it in for the holidays and now they need to patch it.

Daingurse

It's like a perfect storm, bwhahahahahaha! No real interest in this title, don't care for Asscreed, but man has Unity been providing constant entertainment.

Chaos17

That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

200.gif

orochi91

It's like a perfect storm, bwhahahahahaha! No real interest in this title, don't care for Asserted, but man has Unity been providing constant entertainment.

Yup.

Micro transaction + poor performance + mediocre reviews + piss poor PR.

Looking forward to how Ubi hypes the next AC title.

DOWN

Banned
Ubi has pushed out Watch Dogs and AC:U, both of which are their flagship next-gen IPs.

Both ran terribly.

It's not working.
Watch Dogs ran pretty nicely on consoles, and they gave it a 6 month delay. Unity probably was too big of a name to miss the holidays in Ubi's mind.

You think 9mos wasn't enough time to get the engine running respectably? I wouldn't know.

This is just a mess. Again, I wouldn't be surprised with this performance on a launch game, but this is Ubi's 2nd round of games.

Well, apparently there was an anonymous insider who mentioned the frame rate ceiling being 10fps several months back. In that regard, hitting above 20 fps most of the time is more than double the performance.

Actually, this is Ubisoft's first round of purely next-gen games.

SRTtoZ

Both ran terribly.

It's not working.

The lighting doesn't look the same to me.

You have both games? Both same times of day etc? I hope you're not comparing 2 games at the same spot with different times of day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clQfCP3NFuc#t=12

Go to 6:10. PS4 confirmed better? XB1 no shadows, etc.
I realize its a different time of day, sun in a different position etc

Seanspeed

Banned
Nice rhetoric. I suppose that's not an unreasonable approach.

For me, for a given Ubi game, I just won't buy that game if it appears to be un-good once I find that out to be the case upon release; and will buy it if it appears to be good.

For instance, Black Flag by most accounts was pretty good so I bought it. Unity appears to be the-AC3-overreach-debacle-redux-but-worse, so I won't buy it. If a good one comes out later I'll buy it... etc.

E.g., FarCry 4 looks amazing (as was FC3 for PC), so if this is confirmed by post-release press I will surely reward the developers of that game with my money and myself with a pleasant experience. It seems reasonable to vote with one's wallet on a product-by-product basis.
Yep. I'm not falling in with this outrage brigade tactic shit. Its fucking video games.

I also don't buy into the whole 'game developer is evil' stuff, either. Pretty sure Unity is mainly just a case of too much ambition and poorly handled technical priorities, not some attempt to fuck consumers. And if you aren't able to weed through predictable PR fluff, I don't know what to say.

I mean, if people want to get angry about it and act like this is some civil rights issue, then ok, but man, I'm really glad I don't have that sort of mindset. Sounds miserable.

No proof, but I am hearing from people that the xbone version is very crash prone. So PS4 framerate might be worse, but it may be more stable.

TTOOLL

wow, just saw this thread lol
Is everyone blaming Ubi as they should or are there people playing the "gap closed" card for real?
Crap company btw..

Yep. I'm not falling in with this outrage brigade tactic shit. Its fucking video games.

I also don't buy into the whole 'game developer is evil' stuff, either. Pretty sure Unity is mainly just a case of too much ambition and poorly handled technical priorities, not some attempt to fuck consumers. And if you aren't able to weed through predictable PR fluff, I don't know what to say.

I mean, if people want to get angry about it and act like this is some civil rights issue, then ok, but man, I'm really glad I don't have that sort of mindset. Sounds miserable.

HA! This guy right here.

Asd202

That's basically where I'm at with Ubisoft right now. They have been so disgusting for so long now that I don't even want anything to do with them. I've purchased every AC game from them in the past, so I was part of the problem leading to this shit. I encouraged them by accepting their past garbage and now I'm swallowing the crap that they think we're OK with.

No friggin' more. Yes, we're just talking about videogames and it's not like saving the environment, but I can save my money for more important things. Like videogames that aren't released in half finished states with microtransactions pouring out the ass and treasure chests that won't open unless you utilize the goddamn companion app.

Like companies that don't treat us like fucking morons pretending 30fps feels more cinematic. Like companies who don't insult entire fucking groups of gamers because of their pathetic laziness. Like companies which don't fucking spout PR vomit to appease their fucking marketing partners. Like companies which don't think gamers are so fucking pathetic that they'll believe any spewing ass diarrhea coming our way so we can play their shitty, buggy, barely functional repetitious grindwheel open world titles. Like companies that don't utilize grotesque DRM until the outcry forces them to change only to replace it with more DRM trash meant to squeeze more bucks out of consumers. Like companies who don't think they can fucking buy the media's silence with their threats or try to force unseemly day 1 embargoes so that consumers don't know what the hell they're getting. Where they now bathe in endless microtransaction nickle-and-diming in every fucking game they make.

I AM DONE WITH UBISOFT.

No, enough is ENOUGH Ubisoft. You're a piece of shit publisher with no value in the community. You have taken advantage of consumers you know enjoy AAA values by misleading them, forcing them to not have complete pictures of products they buy, trying to buy off silence or threaten people into complacency. You fucks don't get another dime from me EVER AGAIN.

I agree Ubisoft is the worst publisher right now. Even EA is not close to this bullshit.

DOWN

Banned

Yeah, I think Ubi is just a company who was overreaching with Unity and couldn't handle delaying it past the holidays. They have weak PR, but I don't think there is any evidence that their thousands of employees are colluding to screw us over.

Pretty fucking pathetic how poorly optimized this is. On LOW preset I'm still getting low 20s in crowds. Been able to run every recent release at decent performance, all of them maxed out. Alien Isolation, Mordor, Evil Within, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, they've all ran AT LEAST at a stable 30. Ubisoft is the new low bar for consumer friendly practices.

Absolutely outrageous from Digital Foundry's video analysis. PS4 is down 3 to 4 frames in most scenes except on rooftops with crowds out of view.

Did we expect any better from these guys?

Dryk

Well, apparently there was an anonymous insider who mentioned the frame rate ceiling being 10fps several months back. In that regard, hitting above 20 fps most of the time is more than double the performance.

Actually, this is Ubisoft's first round of purely next-gen games.
They're biting off way more than they can chew. Those dense crowds look nice sure but I doubt people are going to think it's worth it if they can even hit cinematic framerates. Well I guess they can hit 1920s era cinematic framerates so that's something...

I decided I'm getting dragon age next week instead. This game is a mess and not all that entertaining even when its working.

Maybe I'll get the PC version down the road or if they fix the ps4 version cheap.

I'll call this "Instant Headache", my poor head...

i would fling that game disc out the window if that ever happened to me. I have been gaming since 88 and I have never played a game with launch day issues like that. That is so irresponsible of Ubi to ship a game out like that.

orochi91

Pretty sure Unity is mainly just a case of too much ambition and poorly handled technical priorities, not some attempt to fuck consumers.

Paying customers demand better. Pretty straight forward.

Game was clearly not ready for prime-time, yet the Ubi still charged full price and had last minute embargo to boot.

They are indeed fucking over the consumers.

ICPEE

I mean, if people want to get angry about it and act like this is some civil rights issue, then ok, but man, I'm really glad I don't have that sort of mindset. Sounds miserable
Thats great. I'm glad the rest of the world does thinks differently or else we would be fed broken products for decades.

Agree (obviously).

I do want to be fair and say that I'd feel differently about a series where there is a strong narrative link between games -- i.e., where being made to skip a game is seriously damaging to the meta-experience over the course of the series. AC is narrative-driven but still isn't a series of that nature.

For example, if BioWare pushed out some half-finished mess for Mass Effect 2, I'd be pissed and not buy 3. Or as a less hypothetical example, Xenosaga II was a real killer; it's not like playing III after I is a real option, but having to get through II is a huge debacle.

Kezen

Banned
The comparison shots in the article make it clear that neither consoles are using tessellation. I also very much doubt they're running the "ultra high" LOD setting.

I expect consoles to use the following PC settings :
High environment
High shadows (no PCSS)
SSAO (no HBAO+)
Bloom
No tessellation
Post-process AA (no MSAA/TXAA)
Very high/ultra high quality textures (like Watch Dogs, probably not full ultra high textures, mix of both).

I eagerly await DF's Face Off.

Top Bottom