• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer: MS will spend money on marketing and developing Rise of the Tomb Raider

Protocol7

This is really getting ridiculous and annoying...

And just to be clear I would say the same thing if this was happening on Sony or Nintendo's side...

N.Domixis

Banned
I knew GAF is terrible at reading, but this is just beyond ridiculous.

From the SECOND paragraph in the article linked...

It couldn't be more clear it's a timed exclusive. He says it plain as day that the deal has a duration. There is no way he can make it more clear than that.

If you stop raging and whining you could have caught that easily.

Thank you for posting, looks like some fans want to spread FUD with PERMANENT EXCLUSIVE.

This pretty much makes it a MS IP if this is the equivalent of DR3. Like I said in the other topc...

If MS is jumping in bed with the publisher, much like DR3, this is practically a MS IP from here on out, unless SE is going to try multiplat, console exclusive, multiplat. Welp, this move is bigger then I thought if this is true, now MS needs to hope it moves consoles as well as SE. Tomb Raider being bought for a console leader... I guess we shall see how many units this game moves.

Splinter Cell.

I really think the deal is still being worked out which is why we cannot get a straight answer and explains things like why originally they said Microsoft was publishing then thar changed to square enix... ms needed a bug announcement for gamescom and they got one but the details are probably still being worked out and the only thing that was agreed upon was exclusivity during the 2015 holidays.

So, MS is helping to fund the game and Phil doesn't know what SE is going to do with TR after the deal is up, but they are free to put it on other platforms because they don't own the IP. Looks like we'll need SE to tell us what other platforms it will be on, which makes sense because MS doesn't own the IP. Just have to wait for SE to comment on it, and it could be awhile before we get a straight answer.

You're kidding yourself if you think that Phil Spencer doesn't know every detail of their arrangement. He's just trying to shift the blame

Percy

Banned
o3JmEcc.jpg

Love it.

jackdoe

I'm aware but maybe they think this MS deal will make them more money than the traditional method.
See, the only way that I can see this deal resulting in a favorable higher revenue report that quarter would be if MS reduced the royalty fee on each copy sold on the Xbox enough so that it would be more than the combined total of all the money they would have made on five platforms (one of which is an open platform). Microsoft paying for part of development would definitely decrease loss resulting in higher net revenue, but that's over a period of time, and its effects would be less noticeable. Seriously, can't wait for the next Square Enix shareholder meeting and for their investors to grill them about this deal.

Toki767

So Spencer is throwing CD and SE under the bus and saying they're in trouble and that CD is incompetent enough that they need MS's help? Hope the cash is worth it. I'm never giving either any of my money ever again since they continue to go along with this shameless obfuscation.

He's been throwing them under the bus ever since Tuesday.

Duxxy3

Little confused - he says they are giving SE money to develop tomb raider, but kagari says they don't need money to make the game.

This isn't like Ryse, DR3 and Titanfall where the games would not have hit shelves without the money. So it's either greed, or SE just didn't want to take on all of the cost of another tomb raider by themselves.

Exokell

Banned
hes just blowing smoke all over so people would buy xbox one to play tomb raider, which is fucking ridiculous. Nintendo cannot even sell WiiU with tons of first party games.

BokehKing

Banned

It couldn't be more clear it's a timed exclusive. He says it plain as day that the deal has a duration. There is no way he can make it more clear than that.

You're missing the point, he is giving you examples of similar deals, those games went to PC... Not ps4 (or wii u)

I had a random (and perhaps unimportant) thought... Didn't Sony pay for Tomb Raider II exclusivity back in the day so that it didn't also come out for Saturn/N64?

Kezen

Banned
yes timed exclusive but most definitely never coming to ps4

Why ? Do you think SE would that short-sighted ? The TR franchise is closely associated with Playstation and Sony.

This is a timed exclusive hence the emphasis on "holidays 2015" and it will release 6 months later on PS4 and PC.

Zedox

You can't be straight with answers when you don't know the specific of the deals and when you have deals you have a gag order clause. Is that really hard for people to understand (I guess I'm giving too much credit to the people of the internet)? Guess what, it's on Xbox One Holiday 2015. That's the only thing we know about it and that's how you should go ahead thinking it until said otherwise.

mcrommert

Banned
Yep, that's all this guy is. He's just another talking head who dances around shit with doublespeak and misdirection. I'm tired of this shit. If he wanted to purposely lose another potential customer then being Don Mattrick 2.0 was a great way to do it.
Do you understand what nda's are? Big deals like this are nda'ed to hell...he probably can't say anymore. This is how everything works in business especially around valuable ip

Sydle

yes timed exclusive but most definitely never coming to ps4

You know what, you're right. If I select the 7th letter from every other sentence, shift each of those letters two letters to the right, smash my balls, and then read it backwards he actually does say it's never coming to PS4.

I should have seen it before, I'm sorry.

Etnos

Banned
Kagari has posted several times in this thread.

Ohh wow that just makes everything a FACT, and by logical conclusion cancels every possible outcome in which MS resource do help with the TR development.

BTW not needing help, doesn't means you can't have extra resources. That is a logical fallacy lots of people are falling for in this thread.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I don't give a fu** about this game anymore even if it's just timed and eventually come to PS4.

I won't play any cross-gen title past 2015.

So is a no no, to me

I guess I am one of the few Xbox One owners that is unimpressed with this. I am all for Microsoft trying to get exclusives for their console but this isn't one that I will play.

They must have paid a lot of $$$ to SE for this. Its good to have money to throw around when you are in trouble.

Uncharted vs TR in 2015 ... don't think TR will have a chance against UC. Also this will boost sales for UC as PS4 only owners will get their fix from UC.

iammeiam

So maybe it'll end up like Mass Effect and end up on other consoles at the tail-end of the generation after the sequels are out? That'd give it a timed element of exclusivity; the exclusivity window would just be so long it goes from waiting six months to waiting indefinitely.

In any case, it's silly to expect MS to up and say exactly when you'll be able to purchase the thing they're dumping money into trying to their brand on a competitor's console.

Pug

Microsoft seems to want to do absolutely everything possible to obfuscate the issue further to make it seem like it won't come to Playstation. All this does is open then up to more criticism and ridicule because nobody is going to be picking up an Xbox One to play Tomb Raider.

Litrally Nobody!

Valentus

They need help publishing a game that did like 4 million and still didn't break even. I'd imagine that rotr will cost at least as much to make.

you didnt cover developing cost with 4 million copies sold????

How many people worked in the original tomb raider?, because i can even imagine that 4 million copies is not enough, and games like heavy rain (that took at least twice the developing time of tomb raider) with only 1 million copies gets profitable.

This is madness.

mdubs

Banned
Is it so difficult to just answer the question? Doesn't this actually hurt them more than avoiding it?

No it doesn't. Believe it or not the majority of console gamers probably don't particularly care to investigate if Tomb Raider is a timed exclusive or not beyond the Xbox marketing line. Phil has no incentive to be less vague except pleasing us on GAF.

slash3584

IIRC something like this happened with Titanfall, confusing interviews, tweets and whatever then one day they announced that Titanfall would be exclusive for the life of the title to Xbox consoles.

So to me, it sounds like it is or at least was timed and they're working right now to make it fully exclusive.

Regardless of whether they had the funds to develop it, if the deal is sweet enough they'll go with what is more profitable and favourable for them.

As in, if the deal entails a X1+PC exclusive in exchange for MS funding, while SE counts as publisher and receives the sales revenue. In which scenario MS is eating the costs while SE reaps revenue. If the funding is sufficient to for projected PC+X1 sales then it seem natural for SE to agree.

Someone wants to make a business venture with you, they agree to eat the losses and you keep the profit. Whether you needed the help or not, the deal is sweet enough that you'll go with.

So, MS is helping to fund the game and Phil doesn't know what SE is going to do with TR after the deal is up, but they are free to put it on other platforms because they don't own the IP. Looks like we'll need SE to tell us what other platforms it will be on, which makes sense because MS doesn't own the IP. Just have to wait for SE to comment on it, and it could be awhile before we get a straight answer.

I'm sure the SE press team is working on a statement clarifying everything as we speak

fantomena

Journalist: "So is the game timed exclusive?"
MS/Spencer: " ftgdgasfrdhfdgdcantcomment fdsfsfdg"
Journalist: "Thanks.....for the ....confirmation. For how long?"
MS/Spencer: "gdhfhdfhgdhdhdsfsgsf"

tumblr_mt4q0w7goq1swkpjgo1_500.gif

YOU WERE THE COSEN ONE SPENCER! I BELIEVED IN YOU! :(

unbias

Actually, the link makes it clear it could hit PC/360, it does not make it clear if it could hit PS4 that is an assumption. If DR3 is the comparison expecting a similar release would not be a stretch.

I'd say that is a waste of money. Spend that money on struggling talented devs who will give you a true exclusive.
That's what the xboxone needs. Not a timed exclusive.

Top Bottom